The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #27 Nov 16, 2010 9:44 AM
rocco50 wrote:

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Rocco50 we have not received the bed yet, we just ordered it this past Saturday and will take about three weeks before we get it.  The only draw back ordering a custom bed is it takes time and they have been very busy the last few weeks, no doubt this forum had something to do about that.  My wife and I have been shopping for months so extra time is not a big deal. 

As far as the feel, when I was in their showroom they had four standard bed setups.  Firm, medium, soft and a 100% organic medium.  The also had a two inch topper which was like the Latex Bliss version, however it had custom firmness.  The top area around your shoulders was softer and the area around your hip was firmer. 

We concentrated on the firm and medium beds.  The allowed us to remove the top layers and swap them to really dial in what we were looking for we even tried out the topper as well.  We probably were there for close to two hours.  In the end what we chose was similar to what we were going to pick with the Latex Bliss.    

I will be sure to post in a new thread, my first impressions and then follow that up with ongoing updates as soon as we get it. 

This message was modified Nov 16, 2010 by cazual
Reply #28 Nov 17, 2010 12:34 AM
Ok, so regarding the Dr. Breus, I looked at the "do not remove or go to jail" label, and it is confirmed - mostly poly:

hhhh

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by rocco50
Reply #29 Nov 17, 2010 12:37 AM
Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

Reply #30 Nov 17, 2010 12:41 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

The salesman gave me free range :)

still trying to embed that photo, how do you do it? (I uploaded to flikr)

Reply #31 Nov 17, 2010 12:46 AM
I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #32 Nov 17, 2010 12:52 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

There we go.. image preview did not show, that was throwing me off

Reply #33 Nov 17, 2010 1:20 AM
So it probably has all of 3" of Latex out of a total height of 15.5".

Now that's what I call a "latex mattress" (laughing)

Phoenix

Reply #34 Nov 17, 2010 12:21 PM
rocco50 wrote:

Ok, so regarding the Dr. Breus, I looked at the "do not remove or go to jail" label, and it is confirmed - mostly poly:

hhhh

Nice catch, I am so glad I went with my gut instincts walked away from it.

Reply #35 Nov 17, 2010 6:17 PM
How can this be???(laughing)  The salesperson at sleepy's couldn't tell me what was in the Dr. Breus Bed for sure, other then claiming is was soy based foam and latex, but she referred to him as the sleep doctor and said something to the effect of The guy is nationally known as the sleep doctor and he made the bed, so it has to be good and there is no way he would make a bed that would get body impressions.  Now that is a salesperson!  I didn't like the bed when I tried it, so i'm very glad now that I never considered it. 

Mike

Reply #36 Nov 20, 2010 2:39 PM
cazual wrote:

Rocco50 we have not received the bed yet, we just ordered it this past Saturday and will take about three weeks before we get it.  The only draw back ordering a custom bed is it takes time and they have been very busy the last few weeks, no doubt this forum had something to do about that.  My wife and I have been shopping for months so extra time is not a big deal. 

As far as the feel, when I was in their showroom they had four standard bed setups.  Firm, medium, soft and a 100% organic medium.  The also had a two inch topper which was like the Latex Bliss version, however it had custom firmness.  The top area around your shoulders was softer and the area around your hip was firmer. 

We concentrated on the firm and medium beds.  The allowed us to remove the top layers and swap them to really dial in what we were looking for we even tried out the topper as well.  We probably were there for close to two hours.  In the end what we chose was similar to what we were going to pick with the Latex Bliss.    

I will be sure to post in a new thread, my first impressions and then follow that up with ongoing updates as soon as we get it. 

cazual, I forgot to ask, did you get the natural talalay or the synthetic blend? They told me over the phone that they sell 70% synthetic blend and 30% natural, and that the natural deteriorates quicker.

Recent Posts