The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #1 Oct 26, 2010 12:39 AM
I don't have any specs on this mattress so of course I went to take a look.

Here is the announcement on their (IBC's) website http://www.ibcgroup.com/News/pressreleases.html which does say they are using soy based foams which would not be latex. It also looks like they are using Celsion latex from LI (phase change etc) and probably cool max or outlast fabrics. They are listed on the LI site specifically as using LI talalay.

My biggest concern though would be to confirm that it is all latex (improbable). If they are they would be the first of any of the IBC lines, including the Origins, which all use a few inches of poly (usually more than 2") over their latex. The only one that doesn't use poly in the top is their Origins venus memory foam mattress.

I would be very careful and get them to let you see a cutaway to find out if the poly is on the top or bottom.

If I do happen to find any specs I'll post them here.

I know sleepy's has the Latex Bliss which has 1" poly on the very bottom and the rest is latex so that wouldn't represent a problem.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 26, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #2 Oct 26, 2010 9:51 AM
I looked at those also while at Sleepy's.  They told me there is soy based foam on top in the comfort layers.  I'm still learning, but that made me nervous about the potential for body impressions.  The Pure Latex Bliss that they also carry seems like a better option since there is no poly or other foam except latex on top, but again, i'm still learning. 

Mike

Reply #3 Oct 26, 2010 11:06 AM
Thanks Phoenix and Reddog1970. 

I am just concerned without seeing all the specs that I would be getting mattress that contains more foam than latex and the as reddog1970 mentioned prone to body impressions.  I am more inclined now to move towards the Pure Latex Bliss.  They specs seem impressive, I did test a couple of them out, however they did not have the comfort top option for me to try.  Any thoughts on this manufacturer?

Reply #4 Nov 13, 2010 10:01 AM
As much as I would like to get an all-latex mattress, similar to what cazual said about the comfort top missing from the LatexBliss, the LatexBliss mattresses seem too firm for me.

The Dr. Breus Signature Elite feels very comfortable. I could not find any specs either, other than from the press release which states that it is made from foam with natural soy materials containing Talalay latex, how much latex is unknown. How natural this foam is, is also unknown. I found the following article, which makes me start to think that the foam is really mosty poly:

http://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/does-soy-based-foam-deliver-on-its-promise/

However, I am hesitant to purchase something custom-made from Flobeds or SleepEZ for example, unless I can physically try them out, as the comfort level may end up unsatisfactory like LatexBliss.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by rocco50
Reply #5 Nov 13, 2010 12:49 PM
rocco50 wrote:

As much as I would like to get an all-latex mattress, similar to what cazual said about the comfort top missing from the LatexBliss, the LatexBliss mattresses seem too firm for me.

The Dr. Breus Signature Elite feels very comfortable. I could not find any specs either, other than from the press release which states that it is made from foam with natural soy materials containing Talalay latex, how much latex is unknown. How natural this foam is, is also unknown. I found the following article, which makes me start to think that the foam is really mosty poly:

http://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/does-soy-based-foam-deliver-on-its-promise/

However, I am hesitant to purchase something custom-made from Flobeds or SleepEZ for example, unless I can physically try them out, as the comfort level may end up unsatisfactory like LatexBliss.

Rocco50, were you able to test the Latex Bliss with either the 2 or 3 inch custom comfort top?  Also which model were you looking at?  That being said, I am with you about buying a bed on-line, although I do purchase 80% of my things on-line, a bed makes me weary of the potential hassle and expense of constant core exchanges to get the comfort level right.  However, thanks to one of the companies Phoenix suggested, Custom Sleep Design which is local to me I decided to check them out and will be heading over there today.  I spoke with the owner Bob and he seemed quite knowledgeable and his beds were quite competitively priced.  If things work out I could end up saving up to $800 over the Latex Bliss.  I will post my findings when I get back.  

Reply #6 Nov 13, 2010 1:50 PM
FWIW ... Bob used to be a vice president of Latex International. He knows his latex. :)

I also had several conversations with him and I was impressed with the way he customizes his mattresses to an individual using a type of manual zoning tailored to individual body makeup.

Regarding the Dr Breus ... while I still haven't found the specs, from the descriptions I have read I would be pretty certain that there are significant layers of poly in it. They are available at 1800mattress in case you are seriously looking at it and need a price comparison.

The soy based polyols are the least "green" of all the bio polyols that are available with castor oil being much more environmentally friendly. As the article says ... this is more about greenwashing than anything else ... even though it is a small step in the right direction.

Phoenix

Reply #7 Nov 13, 2010 3:55 PM
cazual wrote:

Rocco50, were you able to test the Latex Bliss with either the 2 or 3 inch custom comfort top?  Also which model were you looking at?  That being said, I am with you about buying a bed on-line, although I do purchase 80% of my things on-line, a bed makes me weary of the potential hassle and expense of constant core exchanges to get the comfort level right.  However, thanks to one of the companies Phoenix suggested, Custom Sleep Design which is local to me I decided to check them out and will be heading over there today.  I spoke with the owner Bob and he seemed quite knowledgeable and his beds were quite competitively priced.  If things work out I could end up saving up to $800 over the Latex Bliss.  I will post my findings when I get back.  

Cazual, I don't 100% remember the models of the LatexBliss I looked at, but I think they were the 12" and the 8". The 12" seemed more sturdier than the 8" if anything but not softer. I did try them with the custom comfort top (that 1 or 2 inch layer placed on top?) and that made the bed soft, but how is that layer assembled in the "finished" mattress product? Would it always be laying separately on top, unfastened to the rest of the layers in the mattress, inside the same mattress cover? In this case it may be too much of a messy bed. If they could somehow incorporate that layer under the cover itself, that would be a whole different story.

Unfortunately Custom Sleep Design is located two hours away so I am not sure I'll be able to make it over there..

Reply #8 Nov 13, 2010 3:58 PM
Phoenix wrote:

FWIW ... Bob used to be a vice president of Latex International. He knows his latex. :)

I also had several conversations with him and I was impressed with the way he customizes his mattresses to an individual using a type of manual zoning tailored to individual body makeup.

Regarding the Dr Breus ... while I still haven't found the specs, from the descriptions I have read I would be pretty certain that there are significant layers of poly in it. They are available at 1800mattress in case you are seriously looking at it and need a price comparison.

The soy based polyols are the least "green" of all the bio polyols that are available with castor oil being much more environmentally friendly. As the article says ... this is more about greenwashing than anything else ... even though it is a small step in the right direction.

Phoenix

I am also guessing there is a lot of poly in the Dr. Breus beds. However it did feel very comfortable. I am getting to the point of being tired of looking at mattresses, and just want to pick one :)   I may check out another local store or two, but it's becoming like a second job. 

Do you think a poly mattress is still going to be significantly better than a coil-based Sterns & Foster Deacon Ridge?

Reply #9 Nov 13, 2010 4:34 PM
I am getting to the point of being tired of looking at mattresses, and just want to pick one :)

I certainly understand that feeling :)

A couple of suggestions though to make it less tiresome ... and more "accurate".

First, I would use your experience at Sleepy's (and one or two other places) as a testing ground only. If you lay on a mattress that is too firm, then by knowing the stats of what you lay on you would be much closer to knowing what you need. This is why the latex bliss experience is helpful ... not because I would consider buying it. Make the first part of your search about knowing what fits you ... not deciding what to buy.

Second, make a list of several places that look promising and then call them first. Ask them some specific questions such as "do you have (or make) a latex mattress in the range of 9" with less than an inch of poly in the comfort layers?". If their answer is yes, ask them the brands and models to confirm that you would have some choices (more than one). You are lucky here as NYC (and probably Brooklyn too) has quite a few good places within a reasonable distance which would be well worth going to. More than most other places in the US.

If you narrow your search down to two or three places with good latex selection ... you will almost certainly end up knowing the specs of a mattress that is perfect for you. The advantage of places like this too is that they would tend to carry more reasonable options (besides just the majors) and know more about their mattresses (such as specs).

Then ... when you know the specs of what is suitable for you ... you can decide if it is worth buying that mattress (or a similar construction) locally or ordering online with the comfort of knowing that you will be pretty close to your definition of perfect.

As cumbersome as is sometimes is, if you do most of the work on the phone or internet and limit your travels to places that you know ahead of time have a range that would interest you, the whole experience will be a lot less tiring, faster, and you will end up with a lot better mattress.

The most important part of this is to resist the "words" that some places will use to try to get you to go there. If they can't or won't answer your specific questions ... forget about them. A place that isn't open about the specific construction of their mattresses when you call them will likely try to sell you based on hype and they need you in the store to do that. It's not at all likely that you will find real value there.

Phoenix

Reply #10 Nov 13, 2010 5:11 PM
Do you think a poly mattress is still going to be significantly better than a coil-based Sterns & Foster Deacon Ridge?

The Stearns and Foster IS a poly mattress (the poly mattresses that are mostly mentioned here are almost all on top of springs) and is exactly what I personally would be trying to avoid. It's only good quality is that it has decent springs which would in no way be enough for me to consider it as a viable option.

Phoenix

PS: If you meant here latex mattress (rather than poly) ... then the answer is a clear and resounding YES ... whether it is a latex comfort layer on a latex core or latex on a good innerspring core. Even a latex comfort layer on a poly core would be much preferable to me. More than 1" of poly in the comfort layers (like the SF) is for me the most important thing to avoid in any mattress ... and even an inch is questionable given the choices that are out there.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #11 Nov 13, 2010 5:35 PM
Just to add to my last post ... if someone really wanted a poly mattress, then I would suggest going to a local manufacturer (or an outlet that sells them) who will help you choose innersprings and types of poly that would be much more suitable for you and your specific needs at a much lower cost. I would even use my "lay on bed research" to find out what I liked and then phone a manufacturer who was not local who could "duplicate" that specific model at a much lower cost. Even here I would consider this to be a "throw away" meaning that I would "trade" knowing that it will not likely keep it's qualities that long in exchange for a really low price ... knowing I would have to replace it much sooner than other types of construction.

Phoenix

Reply #12 Nov 13, 2010 6:27 PM
Phoenix wrote:

The Stearns and Foster IS a poly mattress (the poly mattresses that are mostly mentioned here are almost all on top of springs) and is exactly what I personally would be trying to avoid. It's only good quality is that it has decent springs which would in no way be enough for me to consider it as a viable option.

Phoenix

PS: If you meant here latex mattress (rather than poly) ... then the answer is a clear and resounding YES ... whether it is a latex comfort layer on a latex core or latex on a good innerspring core. Even a latex comfort layer on a poly core would be much preferable to me. More than 1" of poly in the comfort layers (like the SF) is for me the most important thing to avoid in any mattress ... and even an inch is questionable given the choices that are out there.

I probably should have specified:  The Dr. Breus mattress (calling it the poly mattress) vs. the Stearns & Foster Deacon Ridge.

Although I am not sure if it is accurate to call the Dr. Breus mattress a poly mattress?

What I am thinking is that if I go with an innerspring mattress, then Stearns & Foster is the way to go, and the S&F Deacon Ridge has that SmartLatex layer on top, not sure if it has the poly in it?

I've looked at the videos from FloBeds, and while it is tempting to order an all-latex mattress over the internet, and I know the layers can be swapped, I still have a hard time pulling the plug without first checking it out in person. I'd love to go with the LatexBliss, but unless they can get that soft topper inside of the mattress cover, I am not sure I want the firmness of that one. So that leaves the Dr. Breus for its comfort...? :)

Reply #13 Nov 13, 2010 7:01 PM
They BOTH represent poor value IMO and would BOTH be considered poly mattresses (the SF certainly and the Breus almost certainly). The only difference between them is what is under the poly which is far less of an issue. 3/4" of "smart latex" doesn't qualify a mattress as being latex.

I would rather buy a similar mattress for half the cost from a manufacturer or outlet that was honest about what was in it and throw it away in a few years than buy either of them. It would be just as comfortable and supportive in the near term as either of them. You have more alternatives than just a do it yourself latex mattress and IMO you are probably paying too much attention to WHAT to buy before you are clear about WHY to buy it. This is probably the biggest reason that people end up dissatisfied with what they buy (unless they get really lucky) and perhaps the biggest reason for this forum.

Having said all that ... It's your money :)

Phoenix

Reply #14 Nov 13, 2010 8:43 PM
Well I went to Custom Sleep Design and the trip was well worth it, just over an hour drive for me.  My wife and I were very impressed on what they had to offer and how they customize the beds.  We also like their warranty, especially when it comes to body impressions and sag.  After a good hour or so we put together a combination we liked and made the purchase.  They give you 90 days to try the bed and if you need a change they will send you out a new top core and your 90 days starts again.  The price was also exceptional, about $1000 less then the Pure Latex Bliss model we were looking at with 2 inch top.

Rocco50 I know they are approximately 2 hours away from you, but I think it would be really worth the trip, you can make it a day trip... lol.  P.S. I found out Latex International where they get all their latex from is practically across the street from their showroom.  

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. 

Reply #15 Nov 13, 2010 9:18 PM
Congratulations on your new mattress! :)

I was also impressed with him even though I didn't have the chance to go there in person like you did ... I'm a little jealous (laughing). He was on my "very short" list of outlets to buy from because of his prices, knowledge, and because of how he made and customized his mattress. What he told me about why and how he makes the mattress that way made a lot of sense to me and I'm glad to see that it "worked" for you in real life as well.

I would be really interested in the specs of the mattress you ended up buying and some of the reasons you chose that particular combination.

Enjoy!

Phoenix

Reply #16 Nov 13, 2010 10:15 PM
Rocco,

You probably already know this but just in case they didn't show you all your options, the Latex Bliss has 8 separate models ... and you can add the 2" or the 3" topper to any of them for a total of 24 variations/options of support/comfort. The different models are here http://www.latexbliss.com/home.html

If you just look at just the 4 basic models (not the latex light or the 3 innerspring models) then you will see they all have a 6" core over 1" HR poly and that they differ only in the thickness and softness of the latex over this. From bottom to top it is 1", 3", 4" and 5".These 4 options would give most people enough choices in softness/firmness that they wouldn't even need a topper at all.

The toppers if you need them are loose and slightly smaller than the mattress as you can see from the description here http://blissipedia.com/?p=300

The beauty of this line is that with all their options you can get very close to finding out what works for you and why in a single trip (assuming the store carries all or at least most of the models). Then it is simply a matter of either buying it (if you like it and believe it is your best overall value) or "duplicating" it through a mattress with similar specs in the same material (either another mattress line that you try personally in the same or another store or with a do it yourself option).

If you really want to experiment you could also try the latex over spring variations with or without a topper.

Latex Bliss is what I would call a latex mattress (unlike the other 2 you are considering) and the 1" of poly is on the very bottom and not in the comfort or really even the support layers of the mattress. I believe they put it there more to "protect" and "stabilize" the latex than anything else.

I would consider the 2 hour trip though even with the Latex Bliss options. The money you saved if you went that way would probably be well worth it.

Phoenix

Reply #17 Nov 13, 2010 11:28 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Congratulations on your new mattress! :)

I was also impressed with him even though I didn't have the chance to go there in person like you did ... I'm a little jealous (laughing). He was on my "very short" list of outlets to buy from because of his prices, knowledge, and because of how he made and customized his mattress. What he told me about why and how he makes the mattress that way made a lot of sense to me and I'm glad to see that it "worked" for you in real life as well.

I would be really interested in the specs of the mattress you ended up buying and some of the reasons you chose that particular combination.

Enjoy!

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, we decided to go with 40 ild for the 6 inch bottom layer, 28 for the 3 inch middle and 19 for the top 2 inch layer.  I wanted a sold core and the 40 ild offers that, while the 28 middle gave my wife and I the support we are looking for without being too firm.  My wife is a side sleeper while I am what you call a wildcard sleeper (I sleep on my back, side or stomach).  As a result we came up with this combo.  We could have had the 2 inch top split with different ilds, but we both liked the feeling of the 19.  

Reply #18 Nov 14, 2010 1:08 AM
Did you consider an up and down (shoulder/hip) ILD split as well (as opposed to side to side) or is that what you meant in the last post?

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #19 Nov 14, 2010 1:21 AM
Has anyone else tried this bed? I have always believed that the most important factor in choosing a mattress is first and foremost the way it FEELS.  Spending enough time on it in the showroom is critical. You have to be able to relax enough to really feel it.   I would guess the specific construction is important depending on what you are looking for.  I have been sleeping on latex for years because it feels great, supportive without pressure.  From what I can read about the Dr. Breus Bed, the temperature factor is worth looking at.  I am not as concerned with the exact amounts of this and that.  Wouldn't it depend on how they are put together, like what order they are in? 
Reply #20 Nov 14, 2010 1:50 AM
In the case of latex ... similar construction and materials will feel very similar between different mattresses. This is why if you for example know what a latex bliss model feels like, it would be fairly easy to duplicate that feel with a similar layering and ILD combination. Personal experience is absolutely necessary IMO (as you mentioned) but the differences between different mattresses with the same specs is not so much in the case of latex so personal experience with the specific mattress you end up buying is not as necessary.

A "good feeling" mattress in a store may lead to real surprises as well when you have slept on it for a little while (even a few days). Feeling good says little about whether you are getting the support you need (correct spinal alignment) as issues connected to poor alignment may not show up for a few days. Even pressure issues may not show up in the short time people usually spend in the stores. Knowing the why behind feeling good and knowing what to look for and why besides just "feeling good" is important in long term satisfaction in a mattress.

If you go in the direction of materials other than latex or natural stuffings, you may also be in for some surprises as other materials are not as consistent in their qualities. Poly will not feel the same as it did in the store for all that long (depending to some degree on the specific kind of poly used) and will break down much more quickly than other materials. Memory foam as well (a different form of poly) will change over time (sometimes very quickly) and in use with different temperatures and conditions much more than other materials. Again, I absolutely agree that personal experience is essential ... but so is knowing the differences between mattress constructions and materials. The people who rely exclusively on how a mattress "feels" in the store are the ones most likely to be taken advantage of in a store environment ... and who often have the most difficulty after their purchase. They can also end up paying a lot of money for lower quality materials and construction that have a "name" attached.

The "phase change" temperature regulation that Dr Breus brags about is inherent in the materials themselves. Both Celsion latex and some of the materials in ticking that are very common these days (such as outlast) are widely available outside of Dr Breus mattresses and this type of material is what gives the mattress it's qualities. This would be more important in the case of memory foam than latex although there are some who sleep hot on any foam in which case this could be important even without memory foam. The implication that these qualities are unique to a certain mattress is marketing hype (and as with all marketing hype, an uninformed customer will pay for the hype from their wallet).

All in all, I believe that a combination of knowing the qualities of certain materials and constructions as they apply to you and the the practical knowledge that comes from personal experience in a store (assuming you are looking specifically for the abilities of a mattress to provide comfort, pressure relief, and support for your body makeup and sleeping style) are equally necessary for long term success and satisfaction in buying a mattress. Without both ... you would be relying on a lot of luck ... and probably pay way more than you need to.

Phoenix.

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #21 Nov 14, 2010 9:17 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Did you consider an up and down (shoulder/hip) ILD split as well (as opposed to side to side) or is that what you meant in the last post?

Phoenix

Yes we did consider the shoulder/Hip spit, but as I sleep all over the place, it really wouldn't work for me.  My wife on the other hand as a side sleeper was going to do the split, but found with her body shape the 19 ILD worked coupled with the low profile firm latex pillow at keeping her spine straight.

Reply #22 Nov 14, 2010 2:56 PM
cazual wrote:

They give you 90 days to try the bed and if you need a change they will send you out a new top core and your 90 days starts again.  The price was also exceptional, about $1000 less then the Pure Latex Bliss model we were looking at with 2 inch top.

cazual, thanks for sharing this. I called and spoke to them, and maybe will try to arrange to come sometime in the off-hours. 

Would you mind writing how much you paid for the mattress in total? 

When you were looking at the LatexBliss, how were you going to fit the 2 inch top?  Would it be under the cover of the mattress, or on the outside?

Reply #23 Nov 14, 2010 8:28 PM
rocco50 wrote:

cazual, thanks for sharing this. I called and spoke to them, and maybe will try to arrange to come sometime in the off-hours. 

Would you mind writing how much you paid for the mattress in total? 

When you were looking at the LatexBliss, how were you going to fit the 2 inch top?  Would it be under the cover of the mattress, or on the outside?

I purchased a Eastern King for $2499.99 which includes the foundation and two free latex King Pillows.  As far as the latex bliss topper it sits on top of the bed not inside the cover.  You would put your bed sheet over it.  

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by cazual
Reply #24 Nov 15, 2010 10:19 PM
Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

Reply #25 Nov 16, 2010 12:38 AM
cazual wrote:

Thanks Phoenix, we decided to go with 40 ild for the 6 inch bottom layer, 28 for the 3 inch middle and 19 for the top 2 inch layer.  I wanted a sold core and the 40 ild offers that, while the 28 middle gave my wife and I the support we are looking for without being too firm.  My wife is a side sleeper while I am what you call a wildcard sleeper (I sleep on my back, side or stomach).  As a result we came up with this combo.  We could have had the 2 inch top split with different ilds, but we both liked the feeling of the 19.  

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Reply #26 Nov 16, 2010 9:17 AM
retired2816 wrote:

Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

I felt very comfortable working with them.  Bob was able to answer most of my questions and explained to me all the options available for no extra cost.  I especially liked his answer when I asked him about the warranty as it pertains to body impressions.  They will swap out the top layer if there is any signs of a body impression no measurement limit.

As far as price, there may be some room for negotiation; we didn't as he threw in two king latex pillows and free delivery.  Also keep in mind his prices also includes the foundation which is not the case for other vendors. 

Reply #27 Nov 16, 2010 9:44 AM
rocco50 wrote:

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Rocco50 we have not received the bed yet, we just ordered it this past Saturday and will take about three weeks before we get it.  The only draw back ordering a custom bed is it takes time and they have been very busy the last few weeks, no doubt this forum had something to do about that.  My wife and I have been shopping for months so extra time is not a big deal. 

As far as the feel, when I was in their showroom they had four standard bed setups.  Firm, medium, soft and a 100% organic medium.  The also had a two inch topper which was like the Latex Bliss version, however it had custom firmness.  The top area around your shoulders was softer and the area around your hip was firmer. 

We concentrated on the firm and medium beds.  The allowed us to remove the top layers and swap them to really dial in what we were looking for we even tried out the topper as well.  We probably were there for close to two hours.  In the end what we chose was similar to what we were going to pick with the Latex Bliss.    

I will be sure to post in a new thread, my first impressions and then follow that up with ongoing updates as soon as we get it. 

This message was modified Nov 16, 2010 by cazual
Reply #28 Nov 17, 2010 12:34 AM
Ok, so regarding the Dr. Breus, I looked at the "do not remove or go to jail" label, and it is confirmed - mostly poly:

hhhh

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by rocco50
Reply #29 Nov 17, 2010 12:37 AM
Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

Reply #30 Nov 17, 2010 12:41 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

The salesman gave me free range :)

still trying to embed that photo, how do you do it? (I uploaded to flikr)

Reply #31 Nov 17, 2010 12:46 AM
I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #32 Nov 17, 2010 12:52 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

There we go.. image preview did not show, that was throwing me off

Reply #33 Nov 17, 2010 1:20 AM
So it probably has all of 3" of Latex out of a total height of 15.5".

Now that's what I call a "latex mattress" (laughing)

Phoenix

Reply #34 Nov 17, 2010 12:21 PM
rocco50 wrote:

Ok, so regarding the Dr. Breus, I looked at the "do not remove or go to jail" label, and it is confirmed - mostly poly:

hhhh

Nice catch, I am so glad I went with my gut instincts walked away from it.

Reply #35 Nov 17, 2010 6:17 PM
How can this be???(laughing)  The salesperson at sleepy's couldn't tell me what was in the Dr. Breus Bed for sure, other then claiming is was soy based foam and latex, but she referred to him as the sleep doctor and said something to the effect of The guy is nationally known as the sleep doctor and he made the bed, so it has to be good and there is no way he would make a bed that would get body impressions.  Now that is a salesperson!  I didn't like the bed when I tried it, so i'm very glad now that I never considered it. 

Mike

Reply #36 Nov 20, 2010 2:39 PM
cazual wrote:

Rocco50 we have not received the bed yet, we just ordered it this past Saturday and will take about three weeks before we get it.  The only draw back ordering a custom bed is it takes time and they have been very busy the last few weeks, no doubt this forum had something to do about that.  My wife and I have been shopping for months so extra time is not a big deal. 

As far as the feel, when I was in their showroom they had four standard bed setups.  Firm, medium, soft and a 100% organic medium.  The also had a two inch topper which was like the Latex Bliss version, however it had custom firmness.  The top area around your shoulders was softer and the area around your hip was firmer. 

We concentrated on the firm and medium beds.  The allowed us to remove the top layers and swap them to really dial in what we were looking for we even tried out the topper as well.  We probably were there for close to two hours.  In the end what we chose was similar to what we were going to pick with the Latex Bliss.    

I will be sure to post in a new thread, my first impressions and then follow that up with ongoing updates as soon as we get it. 

cazual, I forgot to ask, did you get the natural talalay or the synthetic blend? They told me over the phone that they sell 70% synthetic blend and 30% natural, and that the natural deteriorates quicker.

Reply #37 Nov 21, 2010 12:03 AM
rocco50 wrote:

cazual, I forgot to ask, did you get the natural talalay or the synthetic blend? They told me over the phone that they sell 70% synthetic blend and 30% natural, and that the natural deteriorates quicker.

I got the blend because of the durabilty.  I had spoken to Sleepez and Flobeds and they confirm that the natural latex has an approximate lifetime of 10 yrs and aside from the green aspect there is no difference between the natual and the blend. 

Reply #38 Nov 23, 2010 10:23 AM
Sooooo how do you like the Dr. Breus bed?  We are considering purchasing one, but I don't like the fact that I can't find any reviews about it online. Has anyone seen any reviews for the Dr Breus Signature Mattress???

I'm sure that he's just friends with Dr. Oz and Oprah :-)

Reply #39 Nov 23, 2010 4:08 PM
I would probably read the whole thread before you assume he actually bought one :)

I think the information in this thread is probably more factual than most "online" reviews. If you hit the "all" link you can see and read all the replies and you would probably know all you wanted to about the Dr Breus mattress.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #40 Nov 29, 2010 11:23 AM
We just bought our signature at Sleepy's.  Unfortunately, all of you are looking at this the wrong way.  WE could have asked all kinds of questions like how much latex, what type of latex and in fact i wanted to know.  My wife, however, has seen Dr Breus on TV several times and she wanted to feel the beds.  She said to me "Juan, what are you buying the latex or the nite's sleep?"   So i went with feel and wow we are sleeping great.  We had several beds over the years.  Tempurepedic and the worst was the Sleep To Live 800 it was poorly built and fell apart after only two years.  We were happy with Sleepy's but the Sleep to Live bed was awful.  I hope you guys get the facts straight here, it is not about what is being put in the bed, rather how it is put in the bed that matters.  We would be happy if there was only a hint of latex, it was the tempsense and the neutral temperature that got us with Dr Breus.  I think he should sell his beds at all kinds of places so more people can have them.  They are really great.  Well, anyway, i dont usually do this online stuff, but do something new every day.  Enjoy your Dr Breus beds and start sleeping better...Juan T...
Reply #41 Nov 29, 2010 11:58 AM
I'm glad you like your new mattress....

What is in it matters a lot though. The materials that make it so "special" are not unique to this mattress and are widely available at a far lower cost than paying for the name. In addition to that the poly in this bed is  inexpensive (read cheap) material and the qualities that make it comfortable do not last. Even a $300 poly mattress feels good if it's the right construction ... for a while. The Dr Breus is a poor value.

Unfortunately, you have been "victimized" by marketing hype and a "name" that is being used to convince people to buy something that should be priced about half of what it is ... and I can assure you the "facts are straight" in this thread.

You sound so overzealous and misinformed I have to ask ... do you work for Dr Breus or Sleepy's?

But hey ... I'm glad you like your new mattress :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #42 Nov 30, 2010 12:38 PM
Now, it seems quite clear to me that you - this site - is definitely selling something.  What is it?   are you a manufacturer are you a competitor of sleepy's or Dr Bruce?  I shop online all the time and give reviews and comments and have never seen such pointed comments about something as basic as a bed.  The reason i have information is that i emailed Dr Breus myself.  That's right, I got to the horse's mouth and the paper tag was incorrect due to a computer system failure so that is not even a true issue.  All of his beds according to him have soy based poly foam (fine by me) and talalay latex(also fine by me).  he makes them like a chef makes great sauces and he will not discuss what quantities are at what levels.  When i asked he was very polite and commented that what would the developer of the IPHONE say if we challenged that it only used certain components - they would say go pound sand...WELL i am quite insulted by your comments and inference that i am in this business(am an independent business man).  You on the other hand Seem to be in business to sell what you make or have in stock somewhere.  so before you come on too strong, get your facts straight from the horses mouth too.

Tellme

Reply #43 Nov 30, 2010 2:02 PM
The "paper tag" is not incorrect ... but I have to say whoever told you about the "computer glitch" was creative.

There is a lot of great information on this forum about "soy based" poly foam and what they are and where they come from, including in some recent threads. The word that is most commonly used to describe how they are being marketed is "greenwashing". It is nothing more than regular poly with usually less than 20% soy based polyols that are being incorrectly promoted (by many manufacturers not just Dr Breus or more correctly IBC who manufactures the mattress) as being green. It is just another version of poly. It's a step in "kind of" "sort of" the right direction but soy based products themselves have other issues which are far from green. The reason for the "plant based"  polyols in the first place is because of the well known issues surrounding polyfoams themselves (lots of information here about that as well).

This forum primarily exists to educate and perhaps give some counterbalance to the claims and practices of many manufacturers and outlets. The mattress industry as a whole and as it has evolved is filled with the kind of misinformation and deceptive practices that make buying a quality mattress more and more difficult. It seems that you too have "come to believe" that some of these claims are true. These are exactly the kind of claims that when believed would prevent a consumer from looking elsewhere and finding a much higher quality mattress at a better price. Adding "names" to a manufacturer's line is another way used to deceive consumers. Being an expert in sleep clearly does not translate into being an expert on mattress construction any more than being an expert in business like "Donald Trump" makes him qualified to build anything more than a more expensive mattress that is filled with materials that will not keep their "temporarily comfortable" properties. I would much rather judge a matttress by what is actually in it and what is known about those materials than by what someone wants me to believe is in it.

This forum is filled with stories of people who made buying decisions based on hype and misinformation and unfortunately ... it cost them a lot of money ... and even worse in some cases their back or their health.

If you search for "polyol" and "celsion" and "outlast" and other things you will see how much information is on this forum (and on the legacy forum before it) ... and that the "phase change" properties of his mattress are a side effect of materials that are commonly available to anyone including those here who choose to construct their own mattress. They would not even normally be necessary in a Talalay latex mattress as they were made primarily to offset the heat issues of many memory foams. There is nothing mysterious about them that is anything like a "great sauce".

You are still misinformed but to your credit you have challenged what someone else said which is a good thing ... and the same thing the members of this forum quickly learn to do with most of the claims made by mattress manufacturers and typical sales outlets. If you do a little more homework ... including checking out the "truth" and the context of the information in this thread and how you challenged it ... you will see why I replied as I did.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #44 Nov 30, 2010 7:47 PM
What can I say. You just don't want to answer my questions. You go on and on about this and that, but WHO ARE YOU. I bought my bed in Tampa at famous tate's where I have shopped for many years. This seems like a ruse to me - you must be sellinfg mattresses so that only yours are the good ones. It really is pretty transparent to me and anyone with time to really read your comments. You know everything about everything and that is just too good to be true. Hopefully, others will join me in the criticism of your approach here. I looked for some comfort that my buying decision was good instead you accuse and throw the company I bought under the bus. Please get more professional soon or you won't have any more people to give advice to. Remember when something is too good to be true - isn't. Sound like your site??? What do others think??
Reply #45 Nov 30, 2010 7:57 PM
I'm not sure which question I haven't answered but to post on this forum requires a disclosure if you are in any way connected to the mattress industry. Some of my earlier posts (if you search them) will tell you more about my "journey" regarding mattresses but I have no connection in any way, direct or indirect, to any part of the mattress or bedding industry including this forum. If this ever were to change I would disclose it here so that any opinions I expressed or links I posted that could in any way be affected by where I worked or what I did could take this into account. There are many others here whose opinions, knowledge, and experience are highly valued who have already done this.

I should also add that there are many others who will read this thread long after it dies and that what it says and the accuracy of the information in it may affect their buying decision as well.

When you come to a forum like this and post "We just bought our signature at Sleepy's.  Unfortunately, all of you are looking at this the wrong way." in your very first post, I think it's only reasonable to expect that your opinions will be questioned and challenged.

Is there anything else I haven't answered for you?

Phoenix

PS: In your first post you mentioned you had just bought your mattress at Sleepy's which has descriptions of the mattress on their site. In your last post you say "I bought my bed in Tampa at famous tate's where I have shopped for many years" and they don't have a description of the Dr Breus on their site (although they do have the brand listed in their brands). Sleepy's also doesn't have an outlet in Florida listed on their site. Is Famous Tate's the same as Sleepy's? Where did you actually buy your mattress?

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #46 Dec 1, 2010 9:29 PM
You still don't want to answer my questions.  I will however answer yours.  I have two homes one in NY and one in Florida and have purchased two Dr Breus beds.  Now, after spending this time online with our conversation i am concerned about my decision.  What should i buy??  I guess that is the real issue.  IF the beds are poor quality and over priced i will return them to both retailers.  That would be unfortunate, do you really not think they are of value.  I dont feel like i was taken advantage of but you never know.  I am a good shopper that is why i am curious about what you think i should or should have purchased and even where you think i should have or make the purchase.  I could use real honest advice and havent been sure that yours is without an ulterior motive.  So, please convince me of your honesty, beyond your not being in the mattress business-which still does not resonnate well with me since i cannot get what you are getting out of this - just a feel good experience to help others, i am ok with that so please help me...thanks
Reply #47 Dec 1, 2010 9:32 PM
What is Flobed seems to be the suggested company to buy from.  Do they offer good quality products, how do they compare to the Dr. Breus mattresses.  Maybe I should get one of those.  What do you think Phoenix...
Reply #48 Dec 1, 2010 10:22 PM
The difference between high-quality mattress factory stores like Flobed and Sleep EZ, and hype-driven mass-market sellers like Dr. Breus, is the same as the difference between Porsche, BMW and Oldsmobile. At one end you have limited-production, handcrafted products made by committed experts, using the best materials available; at the other, you have a cookie-cutter copy of a hundred other models, with nearly every financial corner cut to maximize profit, and depending on intense hype and big-name puffery to sell it.

Maybe you don't want a "Porsche" or "BMW" mattress. Maybe an Olds or Chevy one is exactly what you want. If that's the case, you should buy a damned good Olds or Chevy at an Olds/Chevy price, not an overpriced muffin made from the same materials as mattresses half its price. Do the kind of research and lay-on testing Phoenix has detailed in his many posts, and then drive the hardest bargain you can for the mattress that meets your preferences and has appropriate quality inside it.

You do understand that Dr. Breus has next to nothing to do with the mattresses' design or manufacture, but is just a figurehead being used to sell an overpriced, underbuilt line of products? It's done all the time in every product field, and 99 times out of 100, the big name puffing the product is just a hired shill who was approached by a manufacturer/marketer, not the other way around.

Reply #49 Dec 1, 2010 10:57 PM
Wow Gunner ... well said. I have to copy and memorize that one :).

As to Flobeds, I believe they offer a very high quality product that would in every way be superior to Dr Breus ... but having said that I believe that they too for most circumstances are overpriced compared to other options. I'll probably get some argument about that ... and so it should be ... but it is what I believe. I do appreciate them for sponsoring this forum (it is independently owned) and for being a leader (among many others) in a new direction of mattress manufacturing but they could do better in their price/value offerings IMO. If you take a look at the many threads in which I have given people multiple options that my research has uncovered, you will notice that most of them are smaller local manufacturers that specifically offer something that in my opinion meets the needs of the person in the thread or other "do it yourself" options that I believe have something valuable and/or unique to offer. You will also notice that I have never narrowed down their choice to a specific manufacturer as I believe the final choice is up to the individual. I have talked with literally dozens of manufacturers in my own search about their mattresses, their prices, and why and how they build them. Most of them were amazingly open in sharing information with me. What is suitable to one is not to another as they each offer a different combination of risk, benefits, and value. For example I have not often even mentioned the place I bought my mattress in most of the threads I have posted because buying a manufactured mattress sight unseen as I did without the reasonable possibility of return or a layer exchange as offered by flobeds, sleepez (and many others I have linked to in my posts) would represent too great a risk. There are probably about 100 manufacturers and outlets that I believe offer amazing value but that value and the benefits that go with it are part of personal choice. What they offer and how it benefits each person is part of what each person needs to research for themselves. I am happy that I have been able to uncover many sources that have rarely if ever been mentioned in this forum in it's 10 year history and without that research and the choices they represent there are people on this forum that would not even know some of the choices they had.

My own search for a matttress that would suit my other half (and me of course) led to the beginning of this research. I was amazed at what I uncovered and the research sort of took on a life of it's own. I tend to be a researcher by nature (and profession) anyway and more about this is in some of my earlier threads. I actually enjoy doing this and for the moment I have the time and interest to do it ... even though my mattress search is over. There have been many others who have continued here after their mattress search has ended and contributed hundreds of posts with amazing information long after they "needed to". Sadly many of these are no longer here but there are always new ones to take up where they left off. For the moment and for as long as I enjoy it and am able to I am one of these "new ones". Part of this is just from gratitude from how much I learned here. There are many here who have been around a lot longer than I have and many who are part of the industry which gives them a unique perspective and I really applaud them for taking the time to keep posting.

I could probably say a lot more but if anything I tend to go on too long anyway so I'll leave it at that.

And yes I really do believe that there are at least 100 places or options where you could do better than the Dr Breus mattress ... although not all of them may be suitable for what you are looking for.

Phoenix

PS: I'm sill not sure what in your previous posts I haven't answered. If you could ask it again I would appreciate it.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #50 Dec 5, 2010 7:18 PM
Phoenix I just wanted to thank you for your information. We decided to keep Dr Breus in both houses. My wife hasn't had a hot night since we got the beds. Even I sleep better at night. It seems like the feel and comfort is more important to us than the details. I wish you good luck with your new bed. Seems like you need to have those details - I am not able to take the time and effort to look that deeply into the technology. Fo me it is how well it does its job. After all I bought better sleep not just a mattress. Again thanks...
Reply #51 Dec 5, 2010 8:42 PM
YW

I would agree that all of us are buying "better sleep" and part of the equation is "better sleep for how long?".

In the end, only time will answer that question for each of us.

Enjoy your mattresses. No matter what any of us decide, our own informed choices are the most important thing of all :)

Phoenix

Reply #52 Dec 16, 2010 3:03 PM
This is going back to an old comment about the mattress labels... AFAIK, those things have to be accurate by law, no computer glitch is acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_label   

Reply #53 Dec 18, 2010 12:57 AM
Phoenix - how do you know so much?  DId you work for a mattress manufacturer???  What makes you an expert? 
Reply #54 Dec 23, 2010 10:46 PM
lovemybed wrote:

Phoenix - how do you know so much?  DId you work for a mattress manufacturer???  What makes you an expert? 

I guess it's time that I should fully disclose my background ...

I used to be part of the illuminati. There has been a conspiracy originating from the days of straw mattresses that is part of a multi layered plan to subjugate humanity. There are gelatinous creatures from another galaxy involved. Part of the plan is to make the human race sick and tired by convincing them to sleep on mattresses that don't work. People who are sick and tired can't fight back.

There are many people who are well aware of this plan who either work for "S" companies or who run websites masquerading as mattress experts. Most of them are hybrids that look somewhat human but really aren't. Many of these have no backbone so they really don't care what they or anyone else sleep on. They have been promised positions of great power and wealth in the new world that will follow if they will help convince the human race to sleep on mattresses that are no good for them.

I used to be one of these hybrids. From my earliest days I was taught the intricacies of mattress construction so that one day I could help make mattresses that would contribute to the master plan. I was proud of my heritage and my spineless nature and took to my destiny with enthusiasm and dedication. The parental genetic material from which I was developed was very proud of me.

Then one day, when I was in my early 20's, I started to notice some changes in my body. Something hard and thin was growing inside me and kept getting longer and longer. It began to affect my life in many ways including how I slept. When I could no longer deny that I had a problem or keep it hidden, I went back to the lab where I was born and was told that I was growing a backbone. Apparently, the genetic material from which I was developed had a retrograde mutation and I was reverting back to becoming human.

At first I was devastated as it was clear that I was a misfit and as my condition became worse and worse (and more and more noticeable) I also became the subject of jokes and derision from my peers. In my shame, I ran away and hid and slept on whatever I could find in the forest and the fields where I was hiding. Much to my surprise, these natural materials were more comfortable to me than anything I had grown up with.

As I slowly became more fully human, I met others who were more like me and ended up falling in love with a beautiful soul who was the most perfect combination of softness and firmness that I had ever laid my eyes (or my body) on. She was also the most supportive being I had ever known. Her name was "Latex". As we got to know each other better, she shared with me that she was part of the "mattress underground" which was a human organization dedicated to making mattresses that would help reverse the effects of sleeping on "S" mattresses and revitalize a sick and tired humanity. We were soon married and with my knowledge from my upbringing and her desire to resist the impending doom that was facing humanity, we decided to work together and help people find mattresses that would give them a chance of survival against the coming onslaught.

The rest as they say is his(and her)story. Our efforts, along with those of many others like us, are just part of a growing counterinsurgency that we hope will one day restore humanity to peaceful sleep and fully functional wakefulness and in doing so, give all of us a chance to fulfil our true destiny.

Sincerely

Phoenix and Latex

This message was modified Dec 24, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #55 Dec 24, 2010 5:06 AM
This explains so many things that had been puzzling me about you Phoenix.  Give my best regards to the "Men in Black" when they arrive.  :)
Reply #56 Dec 24, 2010 8:21 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I guess it's time that I should fully disclose my background ...

I used to be part of the illuminati. There has been a conspiracy originating from the days of straw mattresses that is part of a multi layered plan to subjugate humanity. There are gelatinous creatures from another galaxy involved. Part of the plan is to make the human race sick and tired by convincing them to sleep on mattresses that don't work. People who are sick and tired can't fight back.

There are many people who are well aware of this plan who either work for "S" companies or who run websites masquerading as mattress experts. Most of them are hybrids that look somewhat human but really aren't. Many of these have no backbone so they really don't care what they or anyone else sleep on. They have been promised positions of great power and wealth in the new world that will follow if they will help convince the human race to sleep on mattresses that are no good for them.

I used to be one of these hybrids. From my earliest days I was taught the intricacies of mattress construction so that one day I could help make mattresses that would contribute to the master plan. I was proud of my heritage and my spineless nature and took to my destiny with enthusiasm and dedication. The parental genetic material from which I was developed was very proud of me.

Then one day, when I was in my early 20's, I started to notice some changes in my body. Something hard and thin was growing inside me and kept getting longer and longer. It began to affect my life in many ways including how I slept. When I could no longer deny that I had a problem or keep it hidden, I went back to the lab where I was born and was told that I was growing a backbone. Apparently, the genetic material from which I was developed had a retrograde mutation and I was reverting back to becoming human.

At first I was devastated as it was clear that I was a misfit and as my condition became worse and worse (and more and more noticeable) I also became the subject of jokes and derision from my peers. In my shame, I ran away and hid and slept on whatever I could find in the forest and the fields where I was hiding. Much to my surprise, these natural materials were more comfortable to me than anything I had grown up with.

As I slowly became more fully human, I met others who were more like me and ended up falling in love with a beautiful soul who was the most perfect combination of softness and firmness that I had ever laid my eyes (or my body) on. She was also the most supportive being I had ever known. Her name was "Latex". As we got to know each other better, she shared with me that she was part of the "mattress underground" which was a human organization dedicated to making mattresses that would help reverse the effects of sleeping on "S" mattresses and revitalize a sick and tired humanity. We were soon married and with my knowledge from my upbringing and her desire to resist the impending doom that was facing humanity, we decided to work together and help people find mattresses that would give them a chance of survival against the coming onslaught.

The rest as they say is his(and her)story. Our efforts, along with those of many others like us, are just part of a growing counterinsurgency that we hope will one day restore humanity to peaceful sleep and fully functional wakefulness and in doing so, give all of us a chance to fulfil our true destiny.

Sincerely

Phoenix and Latex

Ha, ha....!!! One of your best answers yet.  Perfect for Christmas eve reading.   I was waiting for your answer on this one.

Keep up the good work....although I wasn't sure where you got the energy to answer all these questions, now I know....

Reply #57 Feb 14, 2011 1:32 AM
My wife and I just purchased a Comfurpedic and opted not to buy a Dr. Breus Signature.  There were at least two reasons.  First, we went with an adjustable base and were a little concerned the pillowtop would bunch when adjusted.  We also didn't care for the greater propensity for sagging (3/4 in. tolerance for Tempurpedic and Comfurpedic versus 1.5 in. on Dr. Breus).  Also, we couldn't readily ascertain the amount of latex in the bed.  THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT THE TAG.  We didn't.  But, the amount of latex (the most expensive component of the mattress) in the bed is conspicuously obscured from the buyer.  We got ahold of sales material distributed to the a major retailer.  It only referred to the one model as having X percent more or less latex than another model.  I can do the math, but you have to be lucky enough to get that information and then start looking at matress tags.  Something just felt wrong about that when the bed is presented as a latex matress.  It is a far cry from that.  It's a polyurethane matress with latex in it.  While it may ultimately sleep well, it seemed over-priced based on the make-up.  My wife believed it to be false advertising.  This may ultimately prove to be a great bed for somebody else.  We just didn't feel like taking the chance.  If you are pushing a $3,000 plus matress, you should probably have a cross section like ever other matress, including many cheaper models.  The mark-up has to be astronomical.  At least show me that I'm getting something for the money.
Reply #58 Feb 23, 2011 2:32 PM
We purchased our Dr. Breus mattress about 2 1/2 months ago....one of the new top-of-the-line units.  With each passing week we become more dissatisfied with the Dr. Breus mattress.  Several reasons:

1. Really is not more comfortable than what we had before nor, for that matter, any other mattress we've ever slept on.  In fact, over time, I am finding it more uncomfortable.

2. It is the queen size and it definitely sags to the center.  The mattress is supported by a solid wood platform and it still sags to the center.

3. It is sinfully HEAVY.  Honestly I'm beginning to worry that my wife is going to injure herself each time she has to change the sheets.

4. It is so thick that even fitted sheets made for up to 17" mattresses just barely fit it.  She has a terrible struggle putting them on this thing.

5. It is way to high.  She is a 5' 4 1/2" lady and has had to resort to using a stool to be able to climb into bed.

We are going to take our case back to the dealer but we don't know if we'll be successful in getting a refund.   Personally.....I WOULD recommend this mattress only to my worst enemy.

Reply #59 Feb 23, 2011 11:17 PM
You said it has a solid wood platform, but does it have the box spring?

I can't imagine even a crappy bed "sagging in the middle".

As for the latex/poly issue, our salesperson at Sleepy's was very clear about what the bed was-topper is latex, rest is poly.

We chose this bed over the Tempurpedic because of cost ( $3300 vs. $1700) and the Tempurpedic was too firm for the spouse's tastes.

Sleepy's also has a limited comfort guarantee.  If you are not happy with the quality of your bed, depending on the size a return fee is paid to them (beds are not resellable so a disposal fee is applied) and your purchase price can be credited toward another bed. Delivery on the exchange must be within 28 days of the first delivery.

If your bed is sagging now after such a short time, it had to have been starting to do so the first month. 

Most every bed is now thicker so the wife is going to have a hard time getting into any new bed you buy (she's not that short).  As for the sheets, a thickness of 18-22 is for the wider beds; if something marked 17 inches claimed it was for a thicker mattress, they either lied or they're cutrate sheets. (I used to work in the home decor dept of a national department store).

Reply #60 Mar 21, 2011 11:48 PM
Dear all, 

I am back to square one after purchasing a Sterns and Foster latex bed 2 years ago at Sleepy's, which was an exchange from a Tempurpetic bed since I was and still am severly allergic to memory foam.  The latex bed was fine for about 1 year and half, but for the past 5 months, the middle started sagging, and there are now lumps in the mattress.  I only saw a comprehensive mattress review site today, on which I saw only 60% of sampled Sterns and Foster owners are satisfied with their beds! 

Sleepy's sent an inspector, and credited me back so now I need to buy another bed!

Since Sleepy's only carries Dr. Breus and pure latex bliss latex beds, I'll have to choose from them.

Question: since I am extremly allergic to memory foam, which makes me to wonder whether it would be a problem for me if I were to choose the pure latex bliss beds, which has a small amount of poly in it?

Going to the local store to lay on different beds tomorrow.  Let me know if you have any answers/suggestions? 

Many thanks!

DK

This message was modified Mar 22, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #61 Mar 22, 2011 10:30 PM
Tried the Pure Latex Bliss beds today, and they felt good.  My BF checked the tag and confirmed that it's made of 90% of latex, and 10% of poly as some of you suggested.  I came home and looked at the tag on my saggy Stern and Foster "latex" bed: 30% latex and almost 70% poly!!  No wonder it barelly lasted for 2 years!

The only good thing is though: I now know I am not allergic to beds that contain some poly.

Be aware of the percentage of the latex content!

Reply #62 Mar 22, 2011 10:59 PM
Orien, be careful of making the comment about not being allergic to some poly since you are in a big open space at the store and the bed has been sitting there outgassing and it may be different in a small space. I had a problem with a bed with polyutethane in it from Rockaway bedding that lied to me and told me it was 100% natural latex (no natural latex at all in the bed but some man-made latex mixed with Polyurethane and that awful suede top that only looked nice.... I had to sleep in a different room to breath on the floor since I had no other beds in my home) in it and had to send it back due to not being able to breath and being allergic to it but of course it had a greater percentage of Polyurethane.  I then slept on the floor and it was way too hard so I bought a latex topper to sleep on until my busy season ended in 2007.  Then I found out about FloBeds. If you are not allergic, that is great but I am warning you that your bedroom will be less space and the bed will be new.

Reply #63 Mar 25, 2011 4:46 PM
Hi All,

Return this bed or stop delivery you will be sorry, Dr. Breus signature platinum at the least!!

I purchased a Dr. Breus signature platinum Bed last Friday, The top of the line, it felt great to my wife and I in the store, firm supportive ,etc..

We took delivery this past Sunday, it felt a lot softer than what I remembered being in the store, my tag says %53 Poly foam and %45 latex with the other stuff on the tag shown in this forum.

Monday I woke up with great back pain, and we both said this bed  is a lot softer than what we tried in store so after work I went to the store and low and behold the store one was a lot (LOT) firmer!!!  So I called my sales person on her cell phone (someone that actually cares, actually left me her cell phone number when I purchased the bed from her) left her a voice message and called the 1800sleepys, the 1800 number wanted me to do a mattress exchange for $400, I told them the mattress was totally different from the showroom floor and then they said to call my sales person (I was getting very upset).  My salesperson called me within 10 minutes back (and it was her day off!) after hanging up with the 1800 number , I explained the whole story to her and she said she would call me right back, 10 minutes latter she called back and said her manager seen this before once or twice, and the person who made the bed that day did it wrong so they would just swap it out with another one,  now Wednesday they came with the new one and guess what, the same thing, now I slept on it Sunday and Monday but Tuesday my back could not take any more so I slept on the floor (boy was that hard but in the morning my back felt a lot better!), Wednesday and Thursday I put the biggest comforter folded several times under my butt and back about a foot to a foot and a half in high not laying on it but this made the mattress tolerable  at the least with minimal back pain, I did wake up several times these nights due to the discomfort of the mattress.

Going back to Wednesday, while the delivery men are still present for the 2nd Dr. Breus mattress, I called my sales person back (would you believe it was her day off and she returned my call within 10min again, all hats go off to her, April, there is not that many people that would actually do this at all).  She told me she would call me back, 10 minutes latter she called back and said to go do this (a particular) store and see this person and pick out another mattress and they will exchange it for no exchange or shipping cost to me. So I picked  "The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic" ,  it did cost me $110 more only due to the difference from the breus bed that I paid, and actually they just came and swapped the bed as I am writing this Friday.  Also this bed is suppose to come with 2 pillows that, that the 2nd salesperson said came with it and has to talk to a manager to get them to me, I will update on that and the bed in a week here so people know.

The Dr. Breus is one piece of junk!!!!!!!!  We tried another in a 3rd store that was firmer than ours but nowhere near as firm as the original store, so there is absolutely no consistency with these beds in manufacturing!!!  These Dr. Breus beds are not worth any more than $1000 and that may be too high.  I know this guy may not know what is going on but he is an idiot (and this is not the word I want to use) in my opinion for stamping his name on such a junk bed!!!!!!, and may actually just be a BS artist all around.

Sleepy's is a great company (especially if you buy from a salesperson who cares), I will update this in a week or so when my free pillows come in and tell you how my back feels on "The RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic".

All hats go off to April M. (my main sales person) and  Bob S.(2nd salesperson)  in southern MA  area!!!!

This message was modified Mar 25, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #64 Mar 26, 2011 1:33 PM
dfran1,

No, I would not believe it. If so, you are the one lucky sleepy's customer. Seems like all the others have to complain on facebook or twitter to get any kind of response from them.

I will never buy anything from them again. A very expensive lesson learned. For now my mattress (won't adverise that name) is ok with a topper.

marissa

Reply #65 Mar 26, 2011 7:59 PM
I guess I really do have a one of a kind salesperson then, I felt like you described before my salesperson called me back on Monday (that I was screwed,  and or what to do) with the 1800 #'s response.  So I do see and felt your pain for 10 minutes (before my salesperson called me back) and it did suck big time!!   But I guess I got lucky and have a salesperson that cares, and the 2nd salesperson called me back today and said my free pillows are on there way to me (make that 2 people so far).  I do now the one I saw in the original store (not the two I mentioned) on Monday after work did not seem to care that much because he told me to call the useless 1800#.

I will keep you all informed on when my pillows come in and how I like the new mattress.

Thanks for letting me know your situation!

Reply #66 Mar 26, 2011 9:14 PM
Sorry, Dfran1 if I sounded harsh. I am glad that you did have a good salesperson and got your problem resolved.  Here's hoping that the Tempurpedic Rhapsody is better. A 15+ yr old tempurpedic (one of the originals) is what we decided to replace when buying the one we now have. They are the best, never any problem. We just felt it was time to update. Bad move.The irony is I never had a sleep problem until the dr breus bed(didn't know anything about him and still don't). The salespeople in that store heavily pushed those beds and every review other than their website has been dismal.

Good Luck reallysmiley.

Marissa

Reply #67 Mar 27, 2011 7:26 AM
What Dr. Breus bed did you get?  I guess you tried to get it exchanged?

Did you ever rotate your tempurpedic (it says in my manual that came with mine to not rate it) just curious?

I am sorry to hear your sleep problems with it but in my short experience with Breus beds, they are junk.

2nd night with my bed and still having morning back pain (nothing compared to the Breus bed, and a little better than my spring mattress these replaced) so tonight I will try to put something in between the box spring and mattress in my butt/back area, you may want to try something like this also (my wife hated the Breus bed also so maybe it will not work, maybe if we had the exact same Dr. Breus bed in the showroom I would not be complaining at all),  I can not get anything firmer, my wife does not like firm at all, but I think I need to just raise my back area up an inch or two, you may or may not need this but this is something we can do cause we do not have spring mattresses and these flexsmiley

I will keep this updated.

Thanks 

Don

PS:  I am rally sorry that anyone finds this forum out too late on a Dr. Breus bed purchase (It is a big gamble that you get a descent bed)  I will be posting my original comment with some modifications in the Sleepy's mattress section on the one I had and it will be 0 stars or whatever is minimum (and that still will not be low enough). 

This message was modified Mar 27, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #68 Mar 27, 2011 11:26 AM
Dfran1,

We never had to rotate the tempurpedic. At the end before we bought the Dr. Breus, we did try, they are very heavy mattresses so it is good that we never needed to. We did buy one of the originals I thought it was 1989, but they weren't sold i n US till 1991 or 92 but we got a lot of years of great sleep and when we decided to get a new one a lot of family and friends still wanted to know if we were selling it because they wanted it(not a sales pitch. LOL). It was King size.

Marissa

This message was modified Mar 28, 2011 by nosleep101
Reply #69 Mar 29, 2011 10:02 PM
Cazual,

The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Original Message   Oct 25, 2010 8:51 pm

To hopefully shed some light on your original posted question(s), I would like to share what I have found while shopping these beds

1. “I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex…”

This is from the Dr Breus Website ( http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/the-dr-breus-bed/ )
“The Dr. Breus Bed™ is constructed using three primary ingredients: tempsense™, along with multiple layers of natural     Talalay Latex and High Density, Soy-based Poly-foams. These materials are manufactured in the United States… The Dr. Breus Bed™ has a 20 year limited warranty…”

2. The Talalay latex used in the beds are manufactured by Latex International. More info about sleeping on latex, and their website http://www.latexfoam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=81

3. The beds are manufactured by International Bedding http://www.ibcgroup.com/announcements/the-sleep-doctor-dr-michael-breus-releases-revolutionary-new-mattress-line

Reply #70 Mar 30, 2011 8:05 PM
You forgot 

#4.  The Dr. Breus (or international bedding for that matter) are junk!!!!!!!!  There is absolutely no consistency with these beds in manufacturing!!!  These Dr. Breus beds are not worth any more than $1000 and that may be too high!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am finally starting to get used to my new RhapsodyBed by Tempur-Pedic, and I received my free pillows as promised by the 2nd Sleepy's salesperson!!  I know some have had bad luck with them but I have had great luck so far with Sleepy's!! I will keep this forum updated.

This message was modified Mar 30, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #71 Jun 27, 2011 1:37 PM
Thank God I stayed away from Dr. Breus! I had seriously contemplated getting one judgin by the one they had in the sleepy's showroom.

Glad your happy on your Tempurpedic and hope you get many years of quality sleep from it.

Reply #72 Jul 4, 2011 9:46 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread and have some thoughts, and my own Dr. Breus Bed experience to share.

I had never really researched beds before I bought them in the past.  I just went into the store, and let the salesman tell me what he thought was a good mattress for the money.  This time out, I wanted to find something that I liked the feel of.  I started off looking at innerspring mattresses with pillow tops.  Several of my coworkers have Tempurpedics and had nothing but good things to say about them, so I was interested in finding out more about them too.  While researching memory foam, I also ended up reading a lot about latex (Talalay and Dunlap).  I liked what I read about the latex ones, and saw a few nice online sites.  I read that natural real rubber was better and lasted longer than polyurethane foam mattresses.  I came close to ordering one, but couldn't bring myself to do it without getting to test one out in person before buying.  But, it made me look for anything labeled latex as I looked for a bed. 

So, while I was in one store trying out the plushest pillow tops, I layed on some Dr Breus beds.  Wow!  Talk about the weightless soft feeling that some mattresses brag about.  I loved the way the Dr. Breus Monogram Gold felt.  And then a salesman came up and told me that it was made of Talalay foam with a natural foam core.  A soy based foam....  In hind site, soy based doesn't even make sense.  Foam made from rubber does. 

I bought the Dr. Breus and couldn't wait to sleep on it.  When I got it, I thought it didn't feel like the one in the store.  I was disapointed.  I went back to the store and laid on the floor model again, and told my salesman what I thought.  He assured me that it would feel the same after I broke mine in.  So, I went back home to try it out some more.  While doing so, I looked at the tag.  I know I should have done that while I was in the store, and everyone that read this thread knows what I saw there.  Over 70% Polyurethane.  To me that meant that it was a much cheaper bed to make than it was being sold for.  And, the value of the bed means something to me too.  I felt like I paid more than it was worth, and it didn't feel the same as the floor model.  But, at least it has the 15 year warranty.  And I had 60 days to make sure I was happy with it. 

After one month I could feel an impression in the spot I slept in.  If I took off the sheets and mattress cover there was no visible impression.  It was just something I felt when I laid on it.  So, when it comes to warranty issues, do they measure visible sags or ones you can feel?  My guess was that this bed could have invisible impressions and might not be covered under warranty.  Just a guess on my part.  But, regardless, I knew I didn't want it if I was feeling this in one month.

I returned mine.  I don't think it was made of good material.  It didn't feel like the one in the store.  And I felt an impression where I slept.  I had also written a couple emails to Dr Breus web site, and to International Bedding asking for more detail on the construction.  I didn't get any answers, but International Bedding site did acknowledge reciept of my email.

Reply #73 Jul 4, 2011 10:27 PM
What do (did) you try next, flasteelers fan.  It's sad that companies are devious about their products.  Mix in a bit of latex, call it a latex bed.  Let the buyer beware.  I'm glad you decided to do research and found this forum.  Hopefully it will help you find the right bed for you!  Oh, and read the return policies carefully.  You are correct about sag; it's now how much sag you feel, it's how much you can measuer.  And PU foam is inexpensive and does not keep it's shape.
Reply #74 Jul 6, 2011 6:55 AM
I returned my Dr Breus bed within the first 60 days, and got a Tempur-Pedic.  It was more money than the Dr Breus, but I feel like I got my money's worth.  It felt good (like the store floor model) as soon as it was delivered.  I'm was a little concerned because I got the Cloud Supreme, and the Cloud series doesn't have the track record of their older line yet.  I hope it will though.

But, it's also a polyurethane foam bed.  The tag on my Tempur-Pedic says 56% Visco Elastic Polyurethane Foam and 43% Polyurethane Foam.

I haven't had it as long as the Dr Breus bed yet, no complaints yet, and I don't think I'm going to feel an impression in less than a month like I did with the Breus.

Reply #75 Jul 6, 2011 3:03 PM
Folks

While I'm a newby to this forum and as well as the DIY mattress symposium, I would like to offer my comments on the matter. If the customer is sold any product by misleading means then the seller has a responsibility to make said product right by the customer. That means a refund of the full price or some recompense depending on the customer's wishes. I would like to state, that I recently purchased one of these beds. I've been sleeping on a wave less-water bed for nearly 30 years. While they provide good support the minuses became too much. So I went looking for a new mattress that would offer the same support as a water bed mattress as well as allow me to keep the expensive frame and headboard from the waterbed. For those not in the know concerning water beads and their foundation systems, I would like to provide some insight. I have two sets of draws under a very substantial frame. The frame consists of 3 sections of 1/2" ply with 4 2"x8" wood sides attached to the plywood.

So I had to have a replacement solution that not only provided a similar experience to a waterbed (comfort and support) but allow me to insert the mattress into the existing waterbed frame. Once I determined the frame size was a Cal King, I then tried to find the appropriate mattress.

Mattress shopping is akin to root canals and media blitzing. Every mattress store had the best solution. Even though the customer can see a varied selection, it's extremely hard, if not impossible to compare apples to apples. Finally after 4 days of hard shopping I found a place that was willing to try and provide me with the needed information to allow me to make a somewhat educated decision.

I bought, for better or worse, a Dr Breus bed. The sales person didn't try to sell me the bed as a total latex bed solution. I was told what comprised mattress content and allowed to make the decision based on those facts. I understood the purchase and was afforded a price similar to a higher end coiled system bed. So I don't feel I was sold a pig-in-a-poke.

Should I find this system doesn't meet my needs. I'll return it for a refund and look into designing a latex style mattress. I'm not sure that I have a problem with utilizing other foams in conjunction with latex to keep the costs down while providing the best comfort for the least amount of time and resources spent (best bang for my buck).

So I would like some constructive feedback from the varied cornucopia of knowledge contained by the folks on this forum.

The wife and I are back and side sleepers. Were both passed middle age and I'm over 6” tall. She is only 5” 6”. We've grown into what most folks call the late middle aged form. I've always been a large guy (played the line in football).

Thanks and sorry for possible being to verbose.....smiley

Reply #76 Jul 7, 2011 7:43 AM
Timby, I hope you'll keep us posted on how things go with your Dr Breuss bed.  Even though I didn't keep mine, I'm still curious as to whether or not others will have issues (impression in less than a month) or not.  I'm not as big as you, so you should know quickly. 

Your bed must be really tall sitting on that water bed platform with drawers underneath?  I picture your wife needing a ladder to get on the bed.  All the Dr Breus beds I saw were very thick.  I got the low profile foundation when I got mine, and it was still pretty tall on my standard bed frame. 

And you mentioned not being sure about utilizing other foams in conjunction with latex to keep costs down.....  I think you've already made that plunge when you bought the Dr Breus bed.  That's what they do in the construction of their bed, only they don't keep the cost down for the customer.  So, you'll know first hand if you decide to build your own later.

Good luck with your new bed.

Reply #77 Jul 13, 2011 2:12 PM
flsteelersfan wrote:

Timby, I hope you'll keep us posted on how things go with your Dr Breuss bed.  Even though I didn't keep mine, I'm still curious as to whether or not others will have issues (impression in less than a month) or not.  I'm not as big as you, so you should know quickly. 

Your bed must be really tall sitting on that water bed platform with drawers underneath?  I picture your wife needing a ladder to get on the bed.  All the Dr Breus beds I saw were very thick.  I got the low profile foundation when I got mine, and it was still pretty tall on my standard bed frame. 

And you mentioned not being sure about utilizing other foams in conjunction with latex to keep costs down.....  I think you've already made that plunge when you bought the Dr Breus bed.  That's what they do in the construction of their bed, only they don't keep the cost down for the customer.  So, you'll know first hand if you decide to build your own later.

Good luck with your new bed.

Well here is my report after nearly a week in my new Dr. Brues bed. As I previously stated my water bed went south for the final time (began leaking like a sieve). After paying nearly $200 to have the WB mattress pumped down and the old hard side frame connected to the drawers, we were nearly ready for the new mattress. I went in and stapled some inserts to protect the new bed from the existing brackets (used to secure the 8" side boards together as well as connect the frame to the platform).

We took delivery last Saturday. The bed fit like a glove in the existing WB hard side frame. The top of the mattress is about 2 to 3 inches above the existing frame. We put on the mattress cover and laid on the bed for a while to see how it felt. The mattress is firmer than the one in the store. I have to wonder if that is partially because of the frame as it extends most of the way up the sides of the mattress. This doesn't allow the bed to extend horizontally as with typical beds when you lay down.

My grown up son ran in and jumped onto the new mattress expecting the same amount of give as the WB. Was he surprised. It did cushion the attach but didn't give nearly as much as the WB. So we heard a muffled groan from him. He did say that he liked the mattress selection. My grown daughter has tried the new mattress as well. We nearly had to drag her off the bed. She wants one also.

We've sleep well in the bed and my wife, while a little over 5' 6” is able to get into the bed. I don't have nearly as much trouble as I'm nearly 6' 2”. Although, we've a lot of practice since we've had the Water Bed nearly 30 years. The new mattress is breaking in and is conforming more to our distinct body types. I do have a 3” high density memory foam topper we purchased years ago to go on top of the water bed. The topper allowed us to get rid of that nasty electric heater that is mostly required to keep the water bed to a decent temp. Should the mattress not be as comfortable as we like, we'll utilize the memory foam topper.

The wife seems to be sleeping well as she hasn't been getting up in the middle of the night and seems to be sleeping until the alarm goes off. I'm still evaluating the comfort. I have problems sleeping due to a couple of herniated disk in my lower back. I do notice that I'm not as sore in the mornings.

I'm still experimenting with pillow selection. I'm having some neck discomfort and am contemplating some other options. I would appreciate any feed back concerning pillows for a mainly back sleeper. We've tried memory memory foam and don't like them. I'm currently using a memory foam pillow to pad my desk chair. It seem to work well for my butt but not for my head....LOL

I will keep all apprised on how things work out with the bed as time goes along. I will consider a purely latex mattress should this one fail to meet our standards.

Reply #78 Jul 18, 2011 9:07 PM
Hi, I started with a TempruPedic and now I a waiting for TempruPedic to come take it away and I will be replacing it with a Dr. Breus Bed.  Sleeping on the TempurPedic (cloud supreme) was like sleeping on a landfill.  The smell was unbearable and scary.  Then I find out the polymers are not exactly healthy to sleep on whether or not you can smell them they are still there.  My husband's back was still stiff after the first couple of nights.  So Timby I am very curious to find out how you are making out with the Dr. B mattress, I'd rather end up with a latex allergy then cancer (check out the blogs on polyurathene memory foam). My delivery of the Dr. B mattress comes in six days while my husband and I sleep on the pull out in the living room   I never thought getting a new mattress was such a difficult task. 
Reply #79 Jul 18, 2011 10:11 PM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Regina......from what I understand, Dr Breus beds contain very little latex foam. They are made from polyfoam (soy based polyurethane). I forget the actual percentages but they contain less than 50% latex and possibly as low as only 15%. Also, soy based polyfoam contains very little soy and is mostly polyurethane if my memory serves me correctly (which can be a crapshoot in it's own).
Reply #80 Jul 19, 2011 1:02 PM
Regina wrote:

Hi, I started with a TempruPedic and now I a waiting for TempruPedic to come take it away and I will be replacing it with a Dr. Breus Bed.  Sleeping on the TempurPedic (cloud supreme) was like sleeping on a landfill.  The smell was unbearable and scary.  Then I find out the polymers are not exactly healthy to sleep on whether or not you can smell them they are still there.  My husband's back was still stiff after the first couple of nights.  So Timby I am very curious to find out how you are making out with the Dr. B mattress, I'd rather end up with a latex allergy then cancer (check out the blogs on polyurathene memory foam). My delivery of the Dr. B mattress comes in six days while my husband and I sleep on the pull out in the living room   I never thought getting a new mattress was such a difficult task. 

Regina,

Well, the mattress is doing well. This past weekend we put a 3” memory foam topper on the bed. It was a left over from the water bed. It has made the bed a little softer without making it to soft. The wife and I are have less back problems and as I stated the wife is sleeping through the night until the alarm goes off.

My situation may be a little different than most. Since I had a plywood platform and 8” two bys for sides, this keeps the mattress from squishing out the side as it would on the showroom. I believe this tends to make the mattress a little firmer than when we tested it. The topper doesn't seem to make the bed sleep hotter than just the mattress. We are in Texas with record heat.

So far I would recommend this bed to others. My grown kids keep hinting about wanting one as well.

It's only been a week and a few days but there doesn’t seem to be any deforming of the mattress. The wife and I aren't light weights and with me being over 6 feet, the bed gets a workout. I'm a displaced IT person and have been out of work for a good while. Also, with my lower back problems (2 herniated disks) I found that I have to lay down during the day to unload my back. The mattress is great to lay down and relax even on my stomach.

The problems I see is that mattress selection seems to be such a personal thing. Everyone seems to want their selection to be the panacea to rid them of their maladies. I believe, for folks that need different recipes for comfort, are better off with the latex mattress companies. They seem to offer a way to dial in your comfort needs. The major bedding manufacturers tend to try and apply a few formulas to reach the general public. While I seem to be able to get a mattress manufactured to my specs from the small guy, at a reasonable price, it's hard for the average consumer to visualize as well as experience the Best Night's Sleep”. It seems it takes some trial and effort. So if you have the time, resources, and aren't easily dissuaded by the attempts go for the varied mattress companies referred to by this forum.

As for now, I'm sticking with the Dr. Breus. I'l try and keep folks apprised as time goes on.

Sorry for the soap box......smiley

Reply #81 Jul 20, 2011 2:05 AM
timby, you hit the nail on the head.  Most people walk into their neighborhood department/mattress store, try out a few beds in their price range and 45 minutes later are plunking down their credit card and arranging for delivery.  I spent a lot of time reading about mattresses on the net and on this forum and ended up with a $2k Savvy Rest.  My office mate thought I was crazy.  He and his gf went to Macy's, looked at some, went to a mattress store and bought a $1400 S mattress on sale for $1000.  He thought I was crazy.  I don't have any physical issues but I don't sleep well any longer and I wanted a bed that was not going to contribute to poor sleep in six months.  We are both happy with our purchases :-)

Many of the people on this forum are like you have have physical issues and are looking for help finding a bed that will fit their special needs.

Mattress shopping is extremely subjective.

I hope the Dr. B works out for you in the long run.

Reply #82 Aug 14, 2011 3:32 PM
Folks

It's been a little over a month on the new Dr Breus mattress. I feel we've gotten the bed broken in and are not having any problems. We've tried the 3" memory foam topper for a while. It was OK but because we are hot sleepers it's not working well at least for the summer time. Texas has been extremely hot and summer seems like it will never end. So we went back to the mattress only sans memory topper. No problems to report. The mattress is a little less firm is all that I've noticed. I spend a lot of time on the mattress because of my back condition and find it comfortable to lie down and unload my back.

So that's all for now. Hope this helps someone with their buying decision.smiley

Reply #83 Sep 21, 2011 8:43 PM
Hi,

It's been a while and today I had my TempurPedic Rhapsody bed replaced due to saging and getting very soft (over the past 2-2 1/2months), to the point of back pain every morning while laying on my back, if I slept on my side I would be fine, and I purchased a 4" seta 2" memory foam and 2" topper to keep the heat down and the bed from getting softer and it did help.

Tempurpedic warrenty replaced the Rhapsody (has 57% Visco Elastic Polyurethane foam, and 43% Polyurethane Foam)  for any bed of theirs but the grand and I went with the BellaFina ( this bed actually has 41% Latex, 35% Visco Elastic Polyurethane foam, and 24% Polyurethane Foam, I did not even know this until I read the tag today), for no cost to me (the BellaFina is $300 cheaper).  Took only 1 1/2 weeks total time,with new boxspings  also. 

Hopefully this bed will last, the Rhapsody was great for the first few months then slowly decline and sags.

best of luck 

Reply #84 Sep 21, 2011 9:38 PM
Is that really true? That there is latex in the Bella Fina?? I had NO idea!

Does the foam bounce back faster than other Tempurpedic memory foam beds? Does it feel a little bit springier?

Reply #85 Sep 27, 2011 6:13 AM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Is that really true? That there is latex in the Bella Fina?? I had NO idea!

Does the foam bounce back faster than other Tempurpedic memory foam beds? Does it feel a little bit springier?

Hi sorry for the late responce, working way too much.

I am going to try to post the label picture tonight for you all.

I had no Idea it had latex in this one or any until I read my label, I do not think any other has latex, I have been going into various stores to see and can not find any other tempur that has latex.

Yes it does spring back quick, I have also found my mattress topper slowing the spring back and I have pulled it and tempur is sending me one for free, first one was from sleepys.  

It has been warm here ~72-80 and this mattress is holing great so far. I have not had it for months but I will get into findings  more latter when I can figure out how to post pictures tonight.

best of luck

Don

This message was modified Sep 27, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #86 Sep 27, 2011 8:44 AM
Thanks so much Don! I did some calling around this weekend and it's indeed latex- 2" of latex under ~2.8" of memory foam on the Bella Fina. So interesting!

I can't wait to hear how it's going for you over time!!!

Reply #87 Sep 27, 2011 9:37 PM
bella fina label

Here is the label of the bella Fina

This message was modified Sep 27, 2011 by dfran1
Re: Comforpedic
Reply #88 Oct 13, 2011 11:12 AM
We bought an all latex king bed a few months ago but I'm experiencing

low back pain and pressure point pain (a side sleeper).  We're considering returning this mattress

and purchasing a Simmons Comforpedic.  My big concern is the health risk of sleeping on memory

foam rather than a more natural latex.  Does anyone have any experience with the Comforpedic mattress?

We're considering purchasing this from Sleepy's.  Thanks for any feedback....

Reply #89 Oct 14, 2011 10:09 AM
Hi,

I have moved the bella fina to a spare room (I know lots of money tied up) due to waking up with back pain every morning!!!!  We went to cardies furniture and compared the adjustable bases (my cousin has one and told me to buy one for my problem) so it was $3000 for the tempur wireless base or just under $2700 (both with tax and the $2700 includded matress protectoes with breathable sides) for a cardies one with 8" foam mattress's (2 twin extra long to make a king).

All I can say is since last saturday night both my wife and I have not woke up with back pain 0 ZERO pain in the morning!!!!!!

The one we purchased was the wireless remote with vibration (you can save a little and buy the wire version but I like the massage feature).  It is made by the same company that makes the tempur just with a different control unit and repair on it is simple and reasonable I called and asked how huch replacement parts are and they range from ~$80-$280 the most (yes they come with a warranty, 3 years parts, they ship you the part and you send the old one back pre paid by them and 1 year labor if you need someone to do it for you).  I wanted to know cause everything in my house is breaking this year.

I should have just went there in the firest place, Heaven!!!  Lots cheaper than a tempur and this 8" is very firm (my wife does not like firm but she loves this one!!)

So all I can say is buy firm and no tempur is firmer than the one I purchased I tried tempurs firmest and there is no support firm like the one I received, but in fairness to tempur I tried the raspody (that I originally purched and formed creators most likely due to the wrong mattress protector  supplied by sleepies sales person) with the adjustable base and it was night and day also!

So I personally think that people sould be buying the adjustable bases with any non spring mattress or it will be hit and miss with more miss, shop around and find the best deal on an adjustable base with mattress (the mattreses cost only $50 each with the adjustable base, and  around $600 a piece without so it was a no brainer if we did not like it we can just put the bella fina on instead).

I wil most likely cut the bella fina in half when these cheap ones go (yes you can cut the foam, search for it, it will void warrenty but I have way too much tied up into beds)

I weigh 195 so we need firm, if you weigh 120 then you may need softer or maybe not.

My findings are to buy firmer than you think and do not judge in the winter (they are firmer then) and get an adjustable base (this has made the difference), I think almost any foam or latex will be good on an adjustable base, and you can buy cheap firm foam and save lots of $$$$$

best of luck

any question just ask and I will keep you all updated

Reply #90 Nov 2, 2011 10:54 AM
Hi, 

Update to my last post .

I cut the bellafina in half this past Saturday (very easy, I purchased a electric kitchen knife)  and moved it onto the adjustable bases, we slept on it Saturday night and when I woke up I moved the $50 firm mattresses back and put the tempur-pedic bella fina back in the spare room where it will stay for the rest of our lives as we both can not sleep on any tempur, there is NO SUPPORT IN TEMPUR PEDIC MATTRESSES (I tried them at the cardies store, they did not have all but they had the firmest ones at the least and they were still no support and not as firm as what I purchased, cardies one for $50 with adjustable base)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I woke up Sunday morning with the bella fina there was discomfort in my back, even with the adjustable base (not pain at least, but discomfort that may have tuned into pain sleeping on it night after night)

The funny thing is my wife likes soft (or so she thinks) and prefers the cheap firm foam we purchased from cardies furniture as do I.  I do not know who out there actually really truly likes tempur or now thinks they like it if they did not sleep on a ceap firm foam like my wife and I are doing now, also that she thought she liked soft and really does not.

I would never ever buy from Sleepys and tempur every again and would never recommend them to anyone!!!

Sleepys due to selling me faulty (or whatever one calls it) dr. brues bed that is not like the one in the store!

Sleepys sales person selling me non breathable side mattress prtector, that I think is the cause of my first bed to form creaters very quikly!

Sleepys sales person selling me a tempur in the winter/cold times and NOT informing me that it will be lots softer in normal envirement (house)!!

Sleepys for not calling me back in time to do an exchange, I put the call to them and they never returned it when I was within my return for the tempur!

Sleepys sales person (one of them) for telling me a foam mattress is softer on an adjustable base, when in fact is firmer if anything cause of the boards used in the adjustable base!!!!

Sleepys for only ofering me $1400 in an exchange now for my $4000 tempur (I know this one is debadable but the whole story tells)!!

Temur Pedic for selling way overpriced foam mattress that they have no support (meaning you sink and not good for backs, any ones back) for at all in anything they sell today!!!!!!

I am just reporting my findings to maybe help others in their decision, this has cost me lots (and I am still paying on all of this).

Maybe I should have looked into it more but both sleepys and tempur do not post bad reviews that often on beds at their sites so that is another negative to both of them and a very big one, so take reviews on their sites with a very very small grain of salt!!!!!!!!

I have tried and will try again to post on their sites, and all I get is calls saying they care but .......  I will let you know if I get anywher else with them but at this point I am paying for a tempur purchased at sleepys that is in a spare room doing nothing that I am still paying on because their slogan is "the sleep experts" I do not now how to find these people at sleepys and I think you will not either!!

Also 1800matress is sleepys and maybe others out there also, so be aware!!

Thanks to all, best of luck!!! 

Don

This message was modified Nov 2, 2011 by dfran1
Reply #91 Oct 3, 2012 8:49 PM

Hi all,

I told you all I would keep this updated.....

Around 1 year of owning both mattresses.

So over time my wife and I had noticed the $50 mattress was getting hard, so my wife went upstairs (about 1 1/2 months ago) to the tempur pedic rhapsody mattress and she said she wanted to try it out instead of the $50 mattress that to both of us was getting harder..

So I swapped the mattress on her side and after 2 weeks she said she loved it, so I moved my half and I have been on it for 30 days and we both do love tempur pedic now..

I don't understand foam, but it takes 1 year for it to (cure) get to its normal.    Now this is my thought and findings on these foam mattresses.

I don’t for the life of me know why it takes a year to stiffen up but they do.

I am sorry for all the negative for them (but this year wait should have been told to me by all involved)

I sleep with my head and feet elevated, and have no back pain when I wake up.

I have no sagging of the mattress (either the $50 one or tempur pedic) at all so far, and I know it was the improper mattress protector sleepys sold me that made my first tempur pedic sag, and would still never ever recommend Sleepys (see my other posts).

I do change my words now (after a year) and would recommend the tempur pedic mattress to all, with a warning that it takes a year for them to get firm like their meant to be.

Happy sleeping to all

And to all a good Night…..

Don

Ps. If anything changes I will update again.  Thanks to all…..

Recent Posts