The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #17 Nov 13, 2010 11:28 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Congratulations on your new mattress! :)

I was also impressed with him even though I didn't have the chance to go there in person like you did ... I'm a little jealous (laughing). He was on my "very short" list of outlets to buy from because of his prices, knowledge, and because of how he made and customized his mattress. What he told me about why and how he makes the mattress that way made a lot of sense to me and I'm glad to see that it "worked" for you in real life as well.

I would be really interested in the specs of the mattress you ended up buying and some of the reasons you chose that particular combination.

Enjoy!

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, we decided to go with 40 ild for the 6 inch bottom layer, 28 for the 3 inch middle and 19 for the top 2 inch layer.  I wanted a sold core and the 40 ild offers that, while the 28 middle gave my wife and I the support we are looking for without being too firm.  My wife is a side sleeper while I am what you call a wildcard sleeper (I sleep on my back, side or stomach).  As a result we came up with this combo.  We could have had the 2 inch top split with different ilds, but we both liked the feeling of the 19.  

Reply #18 Nov 14, 2010 1:08 AM
Did you consider an up and down (shoulder/hip) ILD split as well (as opposed to side to side) or is that what you meant in the last post?

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #19 Nov 14, 2010 1:21 AM
Has anyone else tried this bed? I have always believed that the most important factor in choosing a mattress is first and foremost the way it FEELS.  Spending enough time on it in the showroom is critical. You have to be able to relax enough to really feel it.   I would guess the specific construction is important depending on what you are looking for.  I have been sleeping on latex for years because it feels great, supportive without pressure.  From what I can read about the Dr. Breus Bed, the temperature factor is worth looking at.  I am not as concerned with the exact amounts of this and that.  Wouldn't it depend on how they are put together, like what order they are in? 
Reply #20 Nov 14, 2010 1:50 AM
In the case of latex ... similar construction and materials will feel very similar between different mattresses. This is why if you for example know what a latex bliss model feels like, it would be fairly easy to duplicate that feel with a similar layering and ILD combination. Personal experience is absolutely necessary IMO (as you mentioned) but the differences between different mattresses with the same specs is not so much in the case of latex so personal experience with the specific mattress you end up buying is not as necessary.

A "good feeling" mattress in a store may lead to real surprises as well when you have slept on it for a little while (even a few days). Feeling good says little about whether you are getting the support you need (correct spinal alignment) as issues connected to poor alignment may not show up for a few days. Even pressure issues may not show up in the short time people usually spend in the stores. Knowing the why behind feeling good and knowing what to look for and why besides just "feeling good" is important in long term satisfaction in a mattress.

If you go in the direction of materials other than latex or natural stuffings, you may also be in for some surprises as other materials are not as consistent in their qualities. Poly will not feel the same as it did in the store for all that long (depending to some degree on the specific kind of poly used) and will break down much more quickly than other materials. Memory foam as well (a different form of poly) will change over time (sometimes very quickly) and in use with different temperatures and conditions much more than other materials. Again, I absolutely agree that personal experience is essential ... but so is knowing the differences between mattress constructions and materials. The people who rely exclusively on how a mattress "feels" in the store are the ones most likely to be taken advantage of in a store environment ... and who often have the most difficulty after their purchase. They can also end up paying a lot of money for lower quality materials and construction that have a "name" attached.

The "phase change" temperature regulation that Dr Breus brags about is inherent in the materials themselves. Both Celsion latex and some of the materials in ticking that are very common these days (such as outlast) are widely available outside of Dr Breus mattresses and this type of material is what gives the mattress it's qualities. This would be more important in the case of memory foam than latex although there are some who sleep hot on any foam in which case this could be important even without memory foam. The implication that these qualities are unique to a certain mattress is marketing hype (and as with all marketing hype, an uninformed customer will pay for the hype from their wallet).

All in all, I believe that a combination of knowing the qualities of certain materials and constructions as they apply to you and the the practical knowledge that comes from personal experience in a store (assuming you are looking specifically for the abilities of a mattress to provide comfort, pressure relief, and support for your body makeup and sleeping style) are equally necessary for long term success and satisfaction in buying a mattress. Without both ... you would be relying on a lot of luck ... and probably pay way more than you need to.

Phoenix.

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #21 Nov 14, 2010 9:17 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Did you consider an up and down (shoulder/hip) ILD split as well (as opposed to side to side) or is that what you meant in the last post?

Phoenix

Yes we did consider the shoulder/Hip spit, but as I sleep all over the place, it really wouldn't work for me.  My wife on the other hand as a side sleeper was going to do the split, but found with her body shape the 19 ILD worked coupled with the low profile firm latex pillow at keeping her spine straight.

Reply #22 Nov 14, 2010 2:56 PM
cazual wrote:

They give you 90 days to try the bed and if you need a change they will send you out a new top core and your 90 days starts again.  The price was also exceptional, about $1000 less then the Pure Latex Bliss model we were looking at with 2 inch top.

cazual, thanks for sharing this. I called and spoke to them, and maybe will try to arrange to come sometime in the off-hours. 

Would you mind writing how much you paid for the mattress in total? 

When you were looking at the LatexBliss, how were you going to fit the 2 inch top?  Would it be under the cover of the mattress, or on the outside?

Reply #23 Nov 14, 2010 8:28 PM
rocco50 wrote:

cazual, thanks for sharing this. I called and spoke to them, and maybe will try to arrange to come sometime in the off-hours. 

Would you mind writing how much you paid for the mattress in total? 

When you were looking at the LatexBliss, how were you going to fit the 2 inch top?  Would it be under the cover of the mattress, or on the outside?

I purchased a Eastern King for $2499.99 which includes the foundation and two free latex King Pillows.  As far as the latex bliss topper it sits on top of the bed not inside the cover.  You would put your bed sheet over it.  

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by cazual
Reply #24 Nov 15, 2010 10:19 PM
Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

Reply #25 Nov 16, 2010 12:38 AM
cazual wrote:

Thanks Phoenix, we decided to go with 40 ild for the 6 inch bottom layer, 28 for the 3 inch middle and 19 for the top 2 inch layer.  I wanted a sold core and the 40 ild offers that, while the 28 middle gave my wife and I the support we are looking for without being too firm.  My wife is a side sleeper while I am what you call a wildcard sleeper (I sleep on my back, side or stomach).  As a result we came up with this combo.  We could have had the 2 inch top split with different ilds, but we both liked the feeling of the 19.  

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Reply #26 Nov 16, 2010 9:17 AM
retired2816 wrote:

Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

I felt very comfortable working with them.  Bob was able to answer most of my questions and explained to me all the options available for no extra cost.  I especially liked his answer when I asked him about the warranty as it pertains to body impressions.  They will swap out the top layer if there is any signs of a body impression no measurement limit.

As far as price, there may be some room for negotiation; we didn't as he threw in two king latex pillows and free delivery.  Also keep in mind his prices also includes the foundation which is not the case for other vendors. 

Recent Posts