The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #37 Nov 21, 2010 12:03 AM
rocco50 wrote:

cazual, I forgot to ask, did you get the natural talalay or the synthetic blend? They told me over the phone that they sell 70% synthetic blend and 30% natural, and that the natural deteriorates quicker.

I got the blend because of the durabilty.  I had spoken to Sleepez and Flobeds and they confirm that the natural latex has an approximate lifetime of 10 yrs and aside from the green aspect there is no difference between the natual and the blend. 

Reply #38 Nov 23, 2010 10:23 AM
Sooooo how do you like the Dr. Breus bed?  We are considering purchasing one, but I don't like the fact that I can't find any reviews about it online. Has anyone seen any reviews for the Dr Breus Signature Mattress???

I'm sure that he's just friends with Dr. Oz and Oprah :-)

Reply #39 Nov 23, 2010 4:08 PM
I would probably read the whole thread before you assume he actually bought one :)

I think the information in this thread is probably more factual than most "online" reviews. If you hit the "all" link you can see and read all the replies and you would probably know all you wanted to about the Dr Breus mattress.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #40 Nov 29, 2010 11:23 AM
We just bought our signature at Sleepy's.  Unfortunately, all of you are looking at this the wrong way.  WE could have asked all kinds of questions like how much latex, what type of latex and in fact i wanted to know.  My wife, however, has seen Dr Breus on TV several times and she wanted to feel the beds.  She said to me "Juan, what are you buying the latex or the nite's sleep?"   So i went with feel and wow we are sleeping great.  We had several beds over the years.  Tempurepedic and the worst was the Sleep To Live 800 it was poorly built and fell apart after only two years.  We were happy with Sleepy's but the Sleep to Live bed was awful.  I hope you guys get the facts straight here, it is not about what is being put in the bed, rather how it is put in the bed that matters.  We would be happy if there was only a hint of latex, it was the tempsense and the neutral temperature that got us with Dr Breus.  I think he should sell his beds at all kinds of places so more people can have them.  They are really great.  Well, anyway, i dont usually do this online stuff, but do something new every day.  Enjoy your Dr Breus beds and start sleeping better...Juan T...
Reply #41 Nov 29, 2010 11:58 AM
I'm glad you like your new mattress....

What is in it matters a lot though. The materials that make it so "special" are not unique to this mattress and are widely available at a far lower cost than paying for the name. In addition to that the poly in this bed is  inexpensive (read cheap) material and the qualities that make it comfortable do not last. Even a $300 poly mattress feels good if it's the right construction ... for a while. The Dr Breus is a poor value.

Unfortunately, you have been "victimized" by marketing hype and a "name" that is being used to convince people to buy something that should be priced about half of what it is ... and I can assure you the "facts are straight" in this thread.

You sound so overzealous and misinformed I have to ask ... do you work for Dr Breus or Sleepy's?

But hey ... I'm glad you like your new mattress :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #42 Nov 30, 2010 12:38 PM
Now, it seems quite clear to me that you - this site - is definitely selling something.  What is it?   are you a manufacturer are you a competitor of sleepy's or Dr Bruce?  I shop online all the time and give reviews and comments and have never seen such pointed comments about something as basic as a bed.  The reason i have information is that i emailed Dr Breus myself.  That's right, I got to the horse's mouth and the paper tag was incorrect due to a computer system failure so that is not even a true issue.  All of his beds according to him have soy based poly foam (fine by me) and talalay latex(also fine by me).  he makes them like a chef makes great sauces and he will not discuss what quantities are at what levels.  When i asked he was very polite and commented that what would the developer of the IPHONE say if we challenged that it only used certain components - they would say go pound sand...WELL i am quite insulted by your comments and inference that i am in this business(am an independent business man).  You on the other hand Seem to be in business to sell what you make or have in stock somewhere.  so before you come on too strong, get your facts straight from the horses mouth too.

Tellme

Reply #43 Nov 30, 2010 2:02 PM
The "paper tag" is not incorrect ... but I have to say whoever told you about the "computer glitch" was creative.

There is a lot of great information on this forum about "soy based" poly foam and what they are and where they come from, including in some recent threads. The word that is most commonly used to describe how they are being marketed is "greenwashing". It is nothing more than regular poly with usually less than 20% soy based polyols that are being incorrectly promoted (by many manufacturers not just Dr Breus or more correctly IBC who manufactures the mattress) as being green. It is just another version of poly. It's a step in "kind of" "sort of" the right direction but soy based products themselves have other issues which are far from green. The reason for the "plant based"  polyols in the first place is because of the well known issues surrounding polyfoams themselves (lots of information here about that as well).

This forum primarily exists to educate and perhaps give some counterbalance to the claims and practices of many manufacturers and outlets. The mattress industry as a whole and as it has evolved is filled with the kind of misinformation and deceptive practices that make buying a quality mattress more and more difficult. It seems that you too have "come to believe" that some of these claims are true. These are exactly the kind of claims that when believed would prevent a consumer from looking elsewhere and finding a much higher quality mattress at a better price. Adding "names" to a manufacturer's line is another way used to deceive consumers. Being an expert in sleep clearly does not translate into being an expert on mattress construction any more than being an expert in business like "Donald Trump" makes him qualified to build anything more than a more expensive mattress that is filled with materials that will not keep their "temporarily comfortable" properties. I would much rather judge a matttress by what is actually in it and what is known about those materials than by what someone wants me to believe is in it.

This forum is filled with stories of people who made buying decisions based on hype and misinformation and unfortunately ... it cost them a lot of money ... and even worse in some cases their back or their health.

If you search for "polyol" and "celsion" and "outlast" and other things you will see how much information is on this forum (and on the legacy forum before it) ... and that the "phase change" properties of his mattress are a side effect of materials that are commonly available to anyone including those here who choose to construct their own mattress. They would not even normally be necessary in a Talalay latex mattress as they were made primarily to offset the heat issues of many memory foams. There is nothing mysterious about them that is anything like a "great sauce".

You are still misinformed but to your credit you have challenged what someone else said which is a good thing ... and the same thing the members of this forum quickly learn to do with most of the claims made by mattress manufacturers and typical sales outlets. If you do a little more homework ... including checking out the "truth" and the context of the information in this thread and how you challenged it ... you will see why I replied as I did.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #44 Nov 30, 2010 7:47 PM
What can I say. You just don't want to answer my questions. You go on and on about this and that, but WHO ARE YOU. I bought my bed in Tampa at famous tate's where I have shopped for many years. This seems like a ruse to me - you must be sellinfg mattresses so that only yours are the good ones. It really is pretty transparent to me and anyone with time to really read your comments. You know everything about everything and that is just too good to be true. Hopefully, others will join me in the criticism of your approach here. I looked for some comfort that my buying decision was good instead you accuse and throw the company I bought under the bus. Please get more professional soon or you won't have any more people to give advice to. Remember when something is too good to be true - isn't. Sound like your site??? What do others think??
Reply #45 Nov 30, 2010 7:57 PM
I'm not sure which question I haven't answered but to post on this forum requires a disclosure if you are in any way connected to the mattress industry. Some of my earlier posts (if you search them) will tell you more about my "journey" regarding mattresses but I have no connection in any way, direct or indirect, to any part of the mattress or bedding industry including this forum. If this ever were to change I would disclose it here so that any opinions I expressed or links I posted that could in any way be affected by where I worked or what I did could take this into account. There are many others here whose opinions, knowledge, and experience are highly valued who have already done this.

I should also add that there are many others who will read this thread long after it dies and that what it says and the accuracy of the information in it may affect their buying decision as well.

When you come to a forum like this and post "We just bought our signature at Sleepy's.  Unfortunately, all of you are looking at this the wrong way." in your very first post, I think it's only reasonable to expect that your opinions will be questioned and challenged.

Is there anything else I haven't answered for you?

Phoenix

PS: In your first post you mentioned you had just bought your mattress at Sleepy's which has descriptions of the mattress on their site. In your last post you say "I bought my bed in Tampa at famous tate's where I have shopped for many years" and they don't have a description of the Dr Breus on their site (although they do have the brand listed in their brands). Sleepy's also doesn't have an outlet in Florida listed on their site. Is Famous Tate's the same as Sleepy's? Where did you actually buy your mattress?

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #46 Dec 1, 2010 9:29 PM
You still don't want to answer my questions.  I will however answer yours.  I have two homes one in NY and one in Florida and have purchased two Dr Breus beds.  Now, after spending this time online with our conversation i am concerned about my decision.  What should i buy??  I guess that is the real issue.  IF the beds are poor quality and over priced i will return them to both retailers.  That would be unfortunate, do you really not think they are of value.  I dont feel like i was taken advantage of but you never know.  I am a good shopper that is why i am curious about what you think i should or should have purchased and even where you think i should have or make the purchase.  I could use real honest advice and havent been sure that yours is without an ulterior motive.  So, please convince me of your honesty, beyond your not being in the mattress business-which still does not resonnate well with me since i cannot get what you are getting out of this - just a feel good experience to help others, i am ok with that so please help me...thanks

Recent Posts