Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #222 Nov 22, 2011 5:24 PM
Well it seems that I have read complaints about the poor quality if the icomfort foundation and outgassing issues. Can anyone advise me about the Simmons Comforpedic "Phenom" made for Sleepy's? The 12 inch thick mattress is supposed to  is supposed to be the same as theSimmons Harmony with the Sleepy's label on it. I am trying to compare this to the icomfort Revolution, but I cannot find a store that displays both beds. Any good info would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply #223 Nov 27, 2011 4:04 AM
I was in the market for a mattress and after what I felt was a pretty nice amount of online research, I narrowed my sights down to Tempurpedic, Comforpedic, and I think maybe two others....but I was pretty certain I didn't want a spring mattress.  That ended up being a little funny because just in browsing and not trying to put to limits on my search, we found some pretty damn nice spring mattresses out there that actually almost got me to pull the trigger on.  But I forced myself to really hone my attention to my body's alignment and any small "tugs" or "pulls" I was getting from the mattresses I was testing.  I'm a fairly big dude, so I know I couldn't go with anything that wasn't supportive...I.E. too soft.  HOWEVER, I travel a lot and I see a lot of hotel beds, some outstanding and some terrible...and in my experience, even as a big dude, I know I like the plushy feel of a great softer mattress while still acknowledging that in order for my bodyframe to NOT be bowing while laying sideways, I need a supportive bed.  But I hate the FEEL of a "supportive" bed.  I dont like feeling like when I'm rolling over, I'm rolling on the kitchen floor. So for a mattress to really grab my attention, it had to have the support that would relieve my side, back, and hips of those little pulls that you get when you are on a mattress that's allowing your body to bow, while at the same time, it had to be cushy enough so I dont feel like I'm rolling on a stiff mattress of styrofoam, allowing me to basically feel the pressure of my entire weight be focused on a few pressure points we all have when laying on a mattress. 

Well the Tempurpedic Cloud was extremely nice in the plushy area and supportive...really a great mattress (for sleeping ONLY).  But after all the hub-bub about the sleeping hot thing, I definitely had to keep that in mind because I absolutely hate that and the other thing, which ended up being a deciding factor for me was...the slow bounceback when moving from one spot to the next.  Beds are not only used for JUST sleeping and when if I've been laying/sitting in a spot for a nice minute, I dont want to feel like I have to climb out of a hole, nor do I want to roll out the hole onto a stiff area of the bed that has to take time to "accept" me.  Reaction time became more important to me the more I tested...which brings me to the iComfort beds.

Next to the Tempurpedic area was the iComfort mattresses and when I first layed on them, they were very nice. Eventually I made my way to their top model, the Renewal Refined series and IMMEDIATELY I knew this was IT!!!  It had a fast bounceback response, it had wonderful support, and it felt like I was laying on the palms of God. Super plushy.  Of all the beds I'd tryed out, this had all the things that were important to me, except price.  It was very expensive...but the hell with it.  I had to have the bed because it wasn't like you go out and buy a mattress every year.  I'm currently waiting to get it home tomorrow and I will report back my immediate feeling of it after one night of sleep on it and then after a month or so.  But I can't WAIT!!!  

Reply #224 Nov 27, 2011 12:58 PM
I think you will be tickled pink with your purchase...  remember your bed will be much firmer than in the store, my advice is to walk on the mattress every change you get, sounds dumb, but it works... I kept telling myself, in time it will get softer and be perfect as opposed to changing for the softer one and in time it is too soft...  I laid down on the tempurpedic and I thought someone had a heating pad on it, it was that hot for me within 2 minutes time. Again, we bought the adjustable bed and my ONLY regret is we didnt buy it YEARS ago....
Reply #225 Nov 27, 2011 11:10 PM
Sunny wrote:

I think you will be tickled pink with your purchase...  remember your bed will be much firmer than in the store, my advice is to walk on the mattress every change you get, sounds dumb, but it works... I kept telling myself, in time it will get softer and be perfect as opposed to changing for the softer one and in time it is too soft...  I laid down on the tempurpedic and I thought someone had a heating pad on it, it was that hot for me within 2 minutes time. Again, we bought the adjustable bed and my ONLY regret is we didnt buy it YEARS ago....

As a  2 1/2 month Tempurpedic Cloud owner, I'll reconfirm that sleeping hot, at least on this mattress is a complete and utter non-issue.  At least Tempurpedic makes an attempt at air flow with their single or dual air flow channels.  Do you really think body heat magically dissipates more through the gel foam of icomfort?  btw, only the Insight and Genius have the gel foam at surface, the other two are 'Koolcomfort'.

Also, consider your lightweight icomfort box spring foundations versus the brick house all wood Tempurpedic fixed foundations which btw, weigh quite a bit.

Reply #226 Nov 30, 2011 6:10 AM
SleepyMan wrote:

My husband and I have been looking at the Tempur-pedic beds and went in to possibly buy one yesterday. The salesman showed us the iComfort Revolution and now we’re torn! We love the idea of the Cool Gel technology, as my husband is a warm sleeper. The bed in the store felt amazing and we loved the adjustable base to adjust to relieve frequent acid reflux symptoms and snoring (all my husband). The reviews on this site make it sound as amazing and we felt it was after leaving the store. However, after reading some other reviews on other sites, lots of people are saying they’ve had their WORST night’s sleep on the iComfot and aren’t even willing to give it time for the “break-in period”. This makes me nervous. I don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress, only to be miserable. I don’t see any reviews on Consumer Reports since it seems this mattress is still very new, and I’m looking for some unbiased reviews (not the ones that Serta chooses simply because a person says they love their product).  We are considering the iComfort Revolution, but we are nervous because of the wide spectrum of reviews we are reading -  both positive and negative.  We are looking to buy a new mattress in the next week or two…help!

Thanks guys, this thread is useful. Planning to buy one of Serta icomforts soon...!!! Will write a review asap...

Reply #227 Nov 30, 2011 3:10 PM
I just spent my first night on my new serta icomfort insight queen with adjustable base.

First, let me say that one of my worries from reading the reviews on this forum was the smell from the bed.  I get bad headaches and planned on letting it air out for a couple of nights in case it smelled.  It did not smell and I was able to sleep on it the very first night.

Second,  as others have stated when I first got the bed it was hard as a rock.  When the delivery guy showed off the adjustable part the matress did not bend, was actually kind of funny..:)  The delivery guy told me that it was in the truck for an entire night before they delivered it and it was near freezing that night.  He said to give it a few hours and lay on it for a while.  I did that and it did in fact softened up to about what I expected from the store.

I have only spent one night on the bed and can tell you that it was good....not great, but good.  I am now wondering if I should of bought the revolution.  I get 120 days to try this bed so if I don't think I got my moneys worth I will send it back.  The store had a trade in policy but I told them I would not buy it unless they offered a full refund after the trail period.  I also insisted that they include the adjustable bed in the return if I did not like it.  I agreed to pay an $80 return delivery fee and nothing else.  They agreed.  Many people don't realize but most stores only mean that you can return the matress not the adjustable bed.  I suggest anyone insist on the same as you can always threaten to buy from another store.

I am posting this so that others who want an unbiased opinion don't have to wonder about things like the smell.  I can't say there is no new bed smell...there is a little, but not much at all.  When I was in the store the Tempurpedic smelled so bad it was the reason that I went with iComfort.  Once I decided on iComfort the sales guy told me the new Tempurpedic's smelled up the store the first few days they were there.

Also the bed did sleep cool, but it is November so that is not saying much for now...:)

Let me know if anyone has any other questions regarding my experience with the serta insight.

This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by trautpa
Reply #228 Dec 1, 2011 3:21 PM
trautpa wrote:

I just spent my first night on my new serta icomfort insight queen with adjustable base.

First, let me say that one of my worries from reading the reviews on this forum was the smell from the bed.  I get bad headaches and planned on letting it air out for a couple of nights in case it smelled.  It did not smell and I was able to sleep on it the very first night.

Second,  as others have stated when I first got the bed it was hard as a rock.  When the delivery guy showed off the adjustable part the matress did not bend, was actually kind of funny..:)  The delivery guy told me that it was in the truck for an entire night before they delivered it and it was near freezing that night.  He said to give it a few hours and lay on it for a while.  I did that and it did in fact softened up to about what I expected from the store.

I have only spent one night on the bed and can tell you that it was good....not great, but good.  I am now wondering if I should of bought the revolution.  I get 120 days to try this bed so if I don't think I got my moneys worth I will send it back.  The store had a trade in policy but I told them I would not buy it unless they offered a full refund after the trail period.  I also insisted that they include the adjustable bed in the return if I did not like it.  I agreed to pay an $80 return delivery fee and nothing else.  They agreed.  Many people don't realize but most stores only mean that you can return the matress not the adjustable bed.  I suggest anyone insist on the same as you can always threaten to buy from another store.

I am posting this so that others who want an unbiased opinion don't have to wonder about things like the smell.  I can't say there is no new bed smell...there is a little, but not much at all.  When I was in the store the Tempurpedic smelled so bad it was the reason that I went with iComfort.  Once I decided on iComfort the sales guy told me the new Tempurpedic's smelled up the store the first few days they were there.

Also the bed did sleep cool, but it is November so that is not saying much for now...:)

Let me know if anyone has any other questions regarding my experience with the serta insight.

Careful with a Revolution if you're thinking Insight is too firm.  Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I had Revolution for 4 weeks.  Insight has 2.75" gel mem foam.  Revolution has 3" Koolcomfort, 2.75" gel mem foam both over the 6" core.  Nevermind the board says 2" Koolcomfort, get out you tape measure.  Bottom line, Revolution is MUCH more plush and has quite a bit of sink which *may* lead to neck or back misalignment.  It did for me.  So, be careful. Good you're on the adjustable base, 'cause the Stabl base foundation are cheesy, they bend in middle.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #229 Dec 1, 2011 5:01 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Careful with a Revolution if you're thinking Insight is too firm.  Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I had Revolution for 4 weeks.  Insight has 2.75" gel mem foam.  Revolution has 3" Koolcomfort, 2.75" gel mem foam both over the 6" core.  Nevermind the board says 2" Koolcomfort, get out you tape measure.  Bottom line, Revolution is MUCH more plush and has quite a bit of sink which *may* lead to neck or back misalignment.  It did for me.  So, be careful. Good you're on the adjustable base, 'cause the Stabl base foundation are cheesy, they bend in middle.

Thanks for the feedback slpngoc.  I'm glad to hear that the bed will soften up a bit more over the weeks.  It has been now two days and I can say that it was even better the second night.

You mention that you had the Revolution and it sinks too much.  From what I can tell in the store you are right that is why I went with the Insight.  I have a bad lower back and was worried it would soften even more then what it was at the store and nto provide any support.

Have you tried the Insight?  Did you return the Revolution?

Reply #230 Dec 3, 2011 8:35 AM
We purchased the Serta iComfort a few weeks ago - and I'm trying to research a softer mattress.  I wake up sore and in more pain than I did on the mattress we got rid of.  This mattress has not softened up at all and I don't know what to do.  Also - it smelled so bad for 2 weeks after we got it.  I was horribly upset that no one in the store bothered to tell us to strip the bed EVERY DAY for at least two weeks to get the smell to go away.  It still smells, but I wrap a blanket around my neck down to the pillow to stop the smell from getting ot me at night.  To  be honest, I forgot what model we went with.  I needed to be budget conscious so we got one that was $1999.  I toss and turn all night. 

To be specific, rather than sinking nicely into the bed, it feels to me like there is always resistance.  Even my ribs hurt in the morning.  It almost feels like laying down on an already stretched rubber band.  There is some give to it, and it feels fine when you sit your butt into it.  But laying on it I don't sink in at all.  

Last night we went to check out a sleep number bed, which was ok.  But still just a glorified air mattress.  It was nice to turn it all the way down and watch the pressure points of my shoulders and hips disappear though.  But it's still missing that super plush enveloping feeling.

i'm at a loss I have no clue what we're going to do.  But I desperately want to sleep through the night, or at least more than an hour before having to move from pain.

Reply #231 Dec 3, 2011 9:04 AM
I purchased a Serta icomfort Revolution about 2 1/2 months ago.  When I first got it, I was in love with it.  However, it now has developed a sagging or compression on the side I sleep on.  It is like it has lost some of it's density.  I weigh about 325 pounds, and, discussed this with the retailer before I bought the mattress.  Previously, I owned a basic Tempurpedic for well over twenty years and never had a problem with it.  So, it looks like I am going to take advantage of the 120 day return policy and return it for a Tempurpedic.

Recent Posts