Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #212 Oct 26, 2011 10:41 AM
Amyjrn wrote:

I purchased one a few months ago.  Little secret.  You have to walk on the mattress.  March on it.  Keep doing it till you open the cells and the bed is softer for you.  I love love love my bed now.  It takes a few months to get it where you like it.

Just got my insight this morning, and it is much firmer than I thought it would be.  I slept on it right away, as I work nights and it was dielivered @ 10 AM as I was just getting off of a 14 hr nursing shift, sore back and I slept like a baby for 6+ hrs.  I had a memory foam topper on an old mattress, and thought this new mattress would be soft like the old topper, but it is VERY firm, but it was very comfortable.  I will see how I sleep when I am not exhausted and could sleep anywhere.

Reply #213 Oct 30, 2011 10:20 AM
weewillywinky wrote:

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for dropping by, Eastcoast, and leaving us your rave review. My my my - so many other people were there at the same time as you, and all but one (a penny pincher) all picked an icomfort, even though it had only been available for one week, huh? That's quite somethign. Did you have to take numbers for a chance to lie on the floor model or maybe share? There is strength in numbers, especially in a democracy like ours, and we all know unsolicited testimony is particularly credible, especially when backed up by all those other people who were there at the same time as you were and made the same decision. That sounds kind of fun - almost like a club or something. Wish I had been there.

This discussion very nice one and gives in depth information. Thanks for share.... I really needs

Reply #214 Oct 31, 2011 11:40 AM
We just bought a Serta Icomfort insight. Not extremely relevant to the model you are considering, but, I cannot sleep on this mattress. i wake multiple times each night with pain in my hips. I am a side sleeper almost exclusively and this bed just hurts. The bed sleeping hot is normal for me. I had an old inexpensive Englander basic laminated 4" memory foam with latex base which I loved but it wore out after about 7 years. This bed is just way too firm. Unfortunately we still have two weeks to wait before we can send it back to the store in exchange for what I don't know. This bed is not the answer. I will be sleeping in the guest room until we can exchange this bed.
Reply #215 Nov 1, 2011 9:53 AM
Sunny wrote:

Well we finally did it, purchased a new bed after years and months of  sleeping in the lazyboy because of back pain, we kept buying new toppers hoping to avoid the cost of a new mattress. We went to RC Willey to "just look" at new mattresses. I knew I wanted an adjustable bed, split king. So we found the adjustable beds in the store, then went mattress hopping, started out with the cheapest finally landing on the Serta IComfort, Revolution, we both thought we were in Heaven ! There were several different couples looking at the same bed stating they had friends that bought them and LOVED them. We laid on the bed for a good hour and did not want to get up. Before leaving the store we purched the Revolution IComfort and the Leggett and Platt adjustable bed frame, it was $650 cheaper then the adjustable bed frame from Serta. It was delivered the next day and fit perfectly in our bed frame, headboard and footboard. It had a slight odor, but not too much, and it was firmer than in the store, but with the adjustable bed, it didnt matter. Our sales lady told us to soften it, walk on the beds to help break them in.  It has been 10 days of complete heaven for us and the split adjustable bed was the best purchase we have ever made. The only drawback is finding sheets that fit an adjustable bed, you have to order them on line.  We made due with what we had and just tucked them under the bed. I had trouble with the memory foam topper we got from Costco sleeping very hot ( my husband did not have that problem ) so I was leary of my new mattress sleeping hot, IT DOES NOT !  I am so happy. Besides if you dont like your mattress for any reason Serta gives you a 120 day return !!!  That is the reason we went ahead and bought it that night along with our stores 30 day price match guarantee, why wait ? Oh, the vibrating part of the bed is AWESOME, we thought we would not use it but it is awesome and it automatically goes off in 30 minutes, just enough to rock us to sleep at night :)

Do you use a mattress pad? If so what kind. I find that a mattress pad makes the coolness go away. 

Reply #216 Nov 11, 2011 7:37 PM
Go with the iComfort. I have a mattress store and used to sell Tempurpedics and while they are really good beds they are way over priced. I could never bring myself to sell at their markup. That is why i no longer sell them but there are many memory foam mattresses just as good as Tempurpedic. You pay for the name. I also sold gel beds and had great luck with those. Tempurpedics will sleep a lil hotter.
Reply #217 Nov 13, 2011 1:06 AM
theydishonest wrote:

Go with the iComfort. I have a mattress store and used to sell Tempurpedics and while they are really good beds they are way over priced. I could never bring myself to sell at their markup. That is why i no longer sell them but there are many memory foam mattresses just as good as Tempurpedic. You pay for the name. I also sold gel beds and had great luck with those. Tempurpedics will sleep a lil hotter.

I've had an iComfort Revolution here for over 4 weeks.  I've had my Cloud for over 60 days.

First off, the iComfort matching 'box spring' was JUNK.  Nothing more than a cheapo 'Stabl base' with L&G semi-flex innards.  8" gap between vertical support rods, the rods at the center bent permanently.  I could see it clear as day looking up through the fabric at bottom of the foundation.  I think it weighed about 20 lbs, the twinXL, at most.  Crappola, next.

Tempurpedic foundation built like a brick house.

iComfort Revolution ... where's the airflow channel?  Does air magically dissipate through the gel foam?  My Revolution slept hot, however it was too soft for me anyway.

Reply #218 Nov 14, 2011 9:33 PM
Jazzie wrote:

Do you use a mattress pad? If so what kind. I find that a mattress pad makes the coolness go away. 

Yes, bought the expensive mattress pad, it was the kind that is very thin and water proof, it probably doesnt sleep as cool as it could with using it though...I dont know why we bought it other than the warranty...  come to think of it, I dont think I have wet the bed in 55 years.   hehehe  I will say that I had a hard time getting use to the split bed, I almost felt like I was in a hosptial bed, took me a good month to get past that... I love being able to raise my knees up, I am a back sleeper so it doesnt bother me, on the other hand my husband is a side sleeper and prefers it flat, but when his alergies were bothering him being able to raise his head was a life saver. I would hear him cough, then raise his head, ahhh quiet, then he would let his head back down, then cough cough cough, then I would hear his head go back up again, then quiet, it was quite commical.. We did order split king sheets, cost a small fortune, but have since discovered that tucking our old sheets works just as good or better... We got a split king, which are 2 twins XL, so I buy full sheets and tuck them in, one good thing is buying 2 seperate sheet sets means we dont fight over the top sheet, we both have one  :)))

So far-So good....
Reply #219 Nov 15, 2011 11:12 AM
My husband and searched for a mattress for several weeks.....  ours was......YIKES.........twenty years old.  I really hadn't thought about buying a new mattress, ours still looked like brand new, however, we weren't sleeping well and my husband wanted to upgrade from a queen to a king.  After doing as much research as I could on the internet we were ready to purchase the Revolution.  I thought I'd call around, just to see if I could find a better price anywhere.  One of the chain stores in our area, was selling out to Sleep Country and did have one Revolution/king left in the warehouse.....  FORTY percent off.  Dandy, except there would be no 120 day sleep guarantee, no warranty, no returns.....  scary stuff.  Since we hadn't purchased a mattress for twenty years, it was a bit of a leap of faith, but it saved us $1,000.  Hard to pass up.  We reasoned that we had been satisfied with our other bed and didn't have a warranty issue, and we could probably sell it for what we had paid if we hated it.

We love it.  If we had the choice to do over though, we'd have gotten a queen again.  I freeze at night and I really miss the body heat from my husband.  He was even cold.  So much for the bed sleeping "hot".  There were complaints about the smell from other posters.  Ours was made about a week before it arrived (had the date made clearly posted on the outer wrapper) and it had no smell whatsoever.  We both have problems with out backs and feel like the pain has been reduced and my husband said I no longer snore.  WOW.  

Reply #220 Nov 15, 2011 4:39 PM
My wife and I purchased the iComfort Revolution and have slept on it for about two months now.  And, we both loved the comfort and soft/firmness!  I have a small back problem and often don't sleep throughout the night.  Now, we both sleep soundly throughout the night.  We also heard that the fixed frame was somewhat flimsy, so we went ahead and bought the adjustable base too.  Wow, this base also has massager built in!   Now, we can prop up our heads and feet in comfort while watching TV or reading a magazine.  The base is pricey, but we felt it was worth the investment. 

Overall, we're very happy with this sleep system. 

KT in Arizona

Reply #221 Nov 22, 2011 2:34 PM
Every response on here (just about) is similarot my experience selling the iComfort beds. I am a huge proponent of lettingyour back be the decision maker since it is the partof your body that screams theloudest when you are not happy. For most of the top brand/manufacturers you will find that if you sleep warm in one bed, you will probably sleep warm in another and no one bed could change that much.

For the person who used to sell Tempur, I discovered that Tempur has changed out every cover of the earlier mattress to be more breathable and couple with their air flow system, it makes it difficult to allow heat build up which in turn radiates the heat back towards the sleeper.

For the person asking about the air flow channels, the gel in the iComfort (at least in what I have been able to determine through testing them myself in a store) seems to keep heat from building up (much like the gel inserts you canputin your shoes).

For "firehawk343" I think the price is relative to the comfort. If you are between two particular beds, spend at least 15 minutes in eachof them withyour partner. Discuss what you are feeling and experiencing. Take note of the way your muscles are reacting and the stress orpain in your lower back or extremities. If one feels better than the other go for it! (Warranties and exchange options are there if you chose incorrectly) If you cannot feel the difference in your back and only feel the difference whn yu see the price tag, buy the one that is easier on your wallet. If it doesn;t work, you can move up from there. I understand that Serta spent 7 years of "real world" testing befoe everplacing the 25 year warranty and the 120 day exchange option. Other major manufacturers (most names start with an "S") did not have huge success with many of their memory foam options... I have not seen ANY claims on the iComforts since they hit our floors and I am still selling about a 50/50 mix of Tempur to iComfort even with the price differences... comfort is king when finding a mattress.

Sleep Well "firehawk343"!

Recent Posts