Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #232 Dec 5, 2011 10:59 AM
As someone who has been in the industry for a number of years, let me clear up a few points:

First, if you are genuinely interested in the benefits of a memory foam mattress, you have to understand that, in spite of whatever anyone else may tell you, Tempurpedic really is THE best quality bed in the category.  Buying any other brand means compromising in some way.  They have the science, the research, and the years of experience that no other manufacturer can pretend to.  Other brands can (and should!) be less expensive, but bear in mind the old adage, 'you get what you pay for'.  With all the competition between mattress manufacturers, retailers, and even mattress types, if there is a product category in which this saying is true, it's bedding.  For every dollar you save, rest assured, there's something you give up (quality, support, durability, comfort).

Second, the idea of certain brands 'sleeping hot' is a myth.  If anyone or anything 'sleeps hot', it's the sleeper themselves.  And if that's the case, there are things you can do: turn down the thermostat, lose the blankets, lighten the sleepwear (or, in some cases, just wait for your own 'personal summer' to end!).  There is also a product called the 'ChiliPad' that you may want to consider.  True, you can find a lot of comments on the internet about one of these beds sleeping hot, but bear in mind, it's the internet: anybody can say anything they want, without any need to back it up - not very objective or scientific!  Most of these are just knee-jerk reactions.  The truth is that, initially, every properly conforming, pressure-relieving mattress will sleep warm - until you get adjusted to it.  The reason has to do with pressure points and blood flow.  If someone has been on a bed that was too firm, or did not provide enough pressure relief, they had to deal with pressure points which, among other things, reduced their bloodflow (most noticeably to extremities like arms and legs).  To compensate for this, their body worked harder to increase the bloodflow to these areas (increased heart rate, blood pressure).  If they then move to a sleep set that does the right job of reducing these pressure points, bloodflow surges, and they feel warm.  (If you squeeze your arm and restrict the bloodflow, you hand get cold; let it go, and it gets warm again.  If you did this enough to get accustomed to the sensation of being cold, feeling warm would be uncomfortable.)  After enough time on their new bed, their body learns that it doesn't need to work as hard as it was used to, and they readjust.  Typically, they had years to gradually adjust to WHATEVER their old set was doing; it shouldn't be any surprise that it could sometimes take weeks or even months for their bodies to essentially learn a new way of sleeping.  A lot of people will be quick to post their initial reaction, but how many will come back later to update or post a retraction?

This message was modified Dec 5, 2011 by burdiebo
Reply #233 Dec 5, 2011 2:40 PM
@ "BurdieBo" - EXCELENT post... let me add that (and I am not saying Tempur is THE best) Tempurpedic is the only visoc manufacturer still using their original memroy foam (and pretty close to the original design) mattress longer than the warranty it holds... see if you can find any of the reports on the original hospitals where Tempurpedic was first rolled out (what, almost 25 years ago or so) and yuo will find that most of them are still being used all these years later...

In regards to being hot, I am about 260, 42 years and sleep on a Cloud Luxe for about 6 months... with the exception of a couple of the 90+ degree nights we had where I live (with my windows open) I have not experienced ANY of the heat issue in my bed.

Having said that, your back is still the best determiner of comfort and support... not your salesperson or even those of us posting on here... we speak best to our own comfort and experiences... you may be slightly (or extremely) different than most of us... laugh

Sleep well Bronson!

Reply #234 Dec 6, 2011 1:07 PM
And I begin my journey.  My wife and I began matress shopping about 2-3 months ago and pretty much had decided a memory foam style matress was going to be the answer.  I tend to sleep trowards the edge of the bed and end up laying on my arm causing pinched nerves, arm falling asleep, etc from the seam around the top of our current bed (a Chattam & Wells $3,000 matress).  We visited our local furniture store where luckily a good, honest, man we've known for years is the owner.  He walked us through several matresses (spring and memory foam) and we ended up liking originally the iComfor Insight as compared to the Revolution.  We actually in the store though the Insight was softer than the Revolution.  We were surprised then to find out the Insight was actually less expensive.  2-3 months pass and my sleeping situation isn't getting any better so we decide to take the plunge.  We go to Sears since our furniture store was closed that day just to try them out.  At Sears we thought the Revolution was more comfortable (less firm) than the Insight.  We laid on both for about 15 minutes each (no one from Sears ever offered to help us, about 30 minutes in one sales guy asks another "Wanna sell an iComfort?" and we left.)  Yesterday our furniture store was open so my wife goes in.  Turns out the store is closing and all he had left was the iComfort Prodigy.  We end up out the door with the Poridgy and the motion base for $3,274 (which if you've been iComfort shopping you know that's a steal.)  We are hopefully picking up the matress today but the base won't be in till next week.  Keep watching for my posts and I'll update as we progress.

Just FYI on our stats, I'm about 5'11" 300lbs and she is about 5'6" 175lbs.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2011 by bishoparc
Reply #235 Dec 6, 2011 1:24 PM
burdiebo wrote:

As someone who has been in the industry for a number of years, let me clear up a few points:

First, if you are genuinely interested in the benefits of a memory foam mattress, you have to understand that, in spite of whatever anyone else may tell you, Tempurpedic really is THE best quality bed in the category.  Buying any other brand means compromising in some way.  They have the science, the research, and the years of experience that no other manufacturer can pretend to.  Other brands can (and should!) be less expensive, but bear in mind the old adage, 'you get what you pay for'.  With all the competition between mattress manufacturers, retailers, and even mattress types, if there is a product category in which this saying is true, it's bedding.  For every dollar you save, rest assured, there's something you give up (quality, support, durability, comfort).

Second, the idea of certain brands 'sleeping hot' is a myth.  If anyone or anything 'sleeps hot', it's the sleeper themselves.  And if that's the case, there are things you can do: turn down the thermostat, lose the blankets, lighten the sleepwear (or, in some cases, just wait for your own 'personal summer' to end!).  There is also a product called the 'ChiliPad' that you may want to consider.  True, you can find a lot of comments on the internet about one of these beds sleeping hot, but bear in mind, it's the internet: anybody can say anything they want, without any need to back it up - not very objective or scientific!  Most of these are just knee-jerk reactions.  The truth is that, initially, every properly conforming, pressure-relieving mattress will sleep warm - until you get adjusted to it.  The reason has to do with pressure points and blood flow.  If someone has been on a bed that was too firm, or did not provide enough pressure relief, they had to deal with pressure points which, among other things, reduced their bloodflow (most noticeably to extremities like arms and legs).  To compensate for this, their body worked harder to increase the bloodflow to these areas (increased heart rate, blood pressure).  If they then move to a sleep set that does the right job of reducing these pressure points, bloodflow surges, and they feel warm.  (If you squeeze your arm and restrict the bloodflow, you hand get cold; let it go, and it gets warm again.  If you did this enough to get accustomed to the sensation of being cold, feeling warm would be uncomfortable.)  After enough time on their new bed, their body learns that it doesn't need to work as hard as it was used to, and they readjust.  Typically, they had years to gradually adjust to WHATEVER their old set was doing; it shouldn't be any surprise that it could sometimes take weeks or even months for their bodies to essentially learn a new way of sleeping.  A lot of people will be quick to post their initial reaction, but how many will come back later to update or post a retraction?

Buridiebo,

Thanks for the information.  I having been sleeping on a new iComfort Insight for the past week or so and I don't think I am happy with it considering the price we paid.  I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the complaint that the Tempurpedic smells really bad.  The sales person said that when they got the new Tempurpedic's in recently it smelled up the store for a week or so.  That and the price is why I got the IComfort, but I am now thinking of returning the iComfort as I was promised a full refund if I am not satisfied.

I did notice that the Tempurpedics in the store have a stronger smell.  Does that eventually go away?

Reply #236 Dec 7, 2011 2:33 PM
firehawk343 wrote:

Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

All memory foam mattress sets are going to sleep warmer than an inner spring mattress with no memory foam. Memory foam is a temprature sensitive foam and it changes the compression of the foam itself according to temprature. So as you lay on a memory foam mattress it absorbs your body heat to soften up and conform to your body. Once you find the right comfort level for you they are great for circulation and as circulation improves you will also feel warmer. This is the nature of memory foam and dont fall for the Gel and cool fabric marketing. Gel is a negitiave as it fills the open cells of memory foam and reduces the breathability of the foam which over time will also make it warmer. 

Comparing iComfort to Tempurpedic is very comperable in terms of feel and both are very good quality. The way iComfort has been able to get the cost down for such a high density memory foam is to not use all memory foam in the mattress. The core support layer of iComfort is not memory foam. It is a standard high density 6 to 7 inch poly foam. only the cushining layers are the high end memory foam. Where tempurpedic is using the High End memory foam in their enitre mattress and not substituing it with a less expensive poly foam.

Comfort wise they are similar, but durablty wise the Tempurpedic is going to out last the iComfort by far.

Reply #237 Dec 7, 2011 2:40 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Careful with a Revolution if you're thinking Insight is too firm.  Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I had Revolution for 4 weeks.  Insight has 2.75" gel mem foam.  Revolution has 3" Koolcomfort, 2.75" gel mem foam both over the 6" core.  Nevermind the board says 2" Koolcomfort, get out you tape measure.  Bottom line, Revolution is MUCH more plush and has quite a bit of sink which *may* lead to neck or back misalignment.  It did for me.  So, be careful. Good you're on the adjustable base, 'cause the Stabl base foundation are cheesy, they bend in middle.

Absolutly you want to give any memory foam 3 to 4 weeks to adjust and a little longer for the Gel foam, because they dont breathe as well. The core in the iComfort isnt such a big deal for that adjustment period as it is not memory foam. A quality foundation on a frame with a center support wont bend in the middle at all, but the adjustable base is far better as you can elevate your feet slightly to improve blood flow and raise you head slightly, which will relieve pressure on your shoulders and allow you to breathe better as well.

Reply #238 Dec 8, 2011 6:59 PM
burdiebo wrote:

As someone who has slept on several memory foam mattresses let me clear up a couple points. Memory foam does "sleep hotter" than conventional beds and the reason for that is because it is foam and foam has tiny cells that keep air from moving freely which is exactly what ALL types of insulation do. Any foam mattress will give a similar effect. Second, most (not all) memory foam will do some off gassing but it will go away (some take longer than others and some are worse than others). The only one I have not found any off gassing with in my experience is from bed in a box. 

As for which is the best, well, I don't have an opinion on that since I have not tried them all. One cannot judge which would be the best for someone else as not everyone's needs are the same. I know people who like air or inner spring but not memory foam.

In my "opinion", sir or ma'am, you sound like nothing more than a salesperson.

Reply #239 Dec 9, 2011 5:58 PM
trautpa wrote:

Thanks for the feedback slpngoc.  I'm glad to hear that the bed will soften up a bit more over the weeks.  It has been now two days and I can say that it was even better the second night.

You mention that you had the Revolution and it sinks too much.  From what I can tell in the store you are right that is why I went with the Insight.  I have a bad lower back and was worried it would soften even more then what it was at the store and nto provide any support.

Have you tried the Insight?  Did you return the Revolution?

I allowed myself to get burned by Sears -  I knew of their 30 return / exchange policy.  I asked a few sales clerks if I exchanged by 3 weeks old Strearns and Foster and ended up not liking the iComfort would I be stuck with it.  They referred to the posted '120 day risk free trial' saying it would be returnable.  I did the exchange, 3 weeks later, it wasn't working, found out no returns of any mattress after you use up your exchange.

I had to pawn off the Revolution for $175 on Craigslist.  Tough lesson.

I won't ever buy a mattress from Sears again.  30 day policies stink.  They were a pain to deal with through and through.

This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #240 Dec 9, 2011 6:11 PM
trautpa wrote:

Buridiebo,

Thanks for the information.  I having been sleeping on a new iComfort Insight for the past week or so and I don't think I am happy with it considering the price we paid.  I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the complaint that the Tempurpedic smells really bad.  The sales person said that when they got the new Tempurpedic's in recently it smelled up the store for a week or so.  That and the price is why I got the IComfort, but I am now thinking of returning the iComfort as I was promised a full refund if I am not satisfied.

I did notice that the Tempurpedics in the store have a stronger smell.  Does that eventually go away?

My Revolution odor was less than my Tempurpedic, not that either was a big deal.

I can give you a really good account from my new TempuPedic Cloud -  I bought a Cloud and TP Comfort pillow the same week.  The odor is not strong, but noticeable.  I noticed it the most when entering room with door closed.

At 30 days, switched adjustable base to a fixed Tempurpedic foundation.  TP foundations obviously use quite a bit of adhesive which smells.  So at 30 days, I had another new item needing to 'off-gas'.

At 60 days, I was still smelling a little bit of odor when entering closed room.  Keep in mind, foundation was only 30 days old at that point.

At 90 days now, I haven't noticed the odor.

One last note, the odor never kept me from sleeping.  Ony noticed it when entering room when it had been closed.  The odor is the downside of the mattress and even I worried/worry a bit about the effects, but I had to have something I can lay on my right shoulder on, so I accept it.

This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #241 Dec 9, 2011 6:27 PM
DaveStro wrote:

All memory foam mattress sets are going to sleep warmer than an inner spring mattress with no memory foam. Memory foam is a temprature sensitive foam and it changes the compression of the foam itself according to temprature. So as you lay on a memory foam mattress it absorbs your body heat to soften up and conform to your body. Once you find the right comfort level for you they are great for circulation and as circulation improves you will also feel warmer. This is the nature of memory foam and dont fall for the Gel and cool fabric marketing. Gel is a negitiave as it fills the open cells of memory foam and reduces the breathability of the foam which over time will also make it warmer. 

Comparing iComfort to Tempurpedic is very comperable in terms of feel and both are very good quality. The way iComfort has been able to get the cost down for such a high density memory foam is to not use all memory foam in the mattress. The core support layer of iComfort is not memory foam. It is a standard high density 6 to 7 inch poly foam. only the cushining layers are the high end memory foam. Where tempurpedic is using the High End memory foam in their enitre mattress and not substituing it with a less expensive poly foam.

Comfort wise they are similar, but durablty wise the Tempurpedic is going to out last the iComfort by far.

Ah, but big differences in the quality of their fixed foundations.  I've owned both. 

The Tempurpedic fixed foundation is a heavy, sturdy, wood piece of furniture.  I was able to pull the bottom fabric aside enough to see the vertical piece of wood and reinforcements fully supporting the wood top, right down center from head to toe.  That foundation will not sag one iota.

I looked hard at the iComfort 'Stabl' base foundation.  My twin XL foundation was like almost all other 'box spring' foundation which these days use vertical 'V' shaped support rods.  I could plainly see there was an 8" measured gap between vertical rods on the iComfort.  Between those vertical rods there are surface rods that fill in the center, but with nothing to support down to the base slats, the center bent down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch mostly in the hips / butt area in a few weeks.  No abuse of mattress whatsoever.

btw, I weight about 190 lbs.

The other thing is the wood slats that form the base of the Stabl base foundation is very prone to flexing down.  it's very similar to a Simmons box spring foundation.  I liked the pattern of the Stearns and Foster / Sealy foundations -they have a consistent 5" spacing between the vertical rods which fill in the center area better.

I don't sell mattresses, nor do I work for any mattress mfr in anyway.    I have MUCH more confidence in my Tempurpedic foundation.

Recent Posts