Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #202 Oct 18, 2011 7:40 PM
Solare wrote:

Getting our iComfort Insight delivered Friday. We like plush.... wondering if there are any Insight owners out there that had a problem with it being "too" plush?

Just got my insight this morning, and it is much firmer than I thought it would be.  I slept on it right away, as I work nights and it was dielivered @ 10 AM as I was just getting off of a 14 hr nursing shift, sore back and I slept like a baby for 6+ hrs.  I had a memory foam topper on an old mattress, and thought this new mattress would be soft like the old topper, but it is VERY firm, but it was very comfortable.  I will see how I sleep when I am not exhausted and could sleep anywhere.

This message was modified Oct 18, 2011 by Amyjrn
Reply #203 Oct 19, 2011 5:23 PM
Hi, Bronson:

Let me just say that I am NOT a salesperson.  I, too, have been looking to others for advice on a new mattress and/or pillow for a while.

Two years ago, we broke down and bought a Tempurpedic.  In the store, it was nice and soft.  We didn't buy the top of the line, but the way it appeared in the store, it seemed we did not need to.

When it arrived, it really gave off a smell.  That smells lasted for days! Also, my husband and I aren't heavy people (110 and 150).  We would lie on the mattress and it wouldn't give at all.  Very weird and hard to explain.  After living with it for a couple of weeks, we decided to return it within the time period allowed.  We bought it at a furniture store, so our only other choices were even MORE expensive Tempurpedic mattresses or your standard coil mattresses.  We thought we needed something firm so we ended up with a pretty firm Laura Ashley mattress.  After a while, we bought a gel memory topper and decided to "make do," even though one or both of us would wake up each morning with lower and/or upper back pain.

We thought about the Sleep Comfort bed, but with the mixed reviews I kept reading on quality, I was reluctant to even try one because or our experience with the Tempurpedic (which also gets mixed reviews, but we had decided to take a chance).

One day, I had enough, so we went to "look" at mattresses at a mattress store and tried the iComfort.  We chose one that was not the best seller, but the one a step above that (in price and firmness).  We tried an even more firm one, too, but that seemed like the bed we already had, so we went with the semi-firm one.  We also broke down and got the adjustable base.  This was a huge splurge, I know, but we went with the 3-year, no interest deal, which allows us to pay it over time and makes the cost a little more palatable.

Mind you, I should add that this was also at a point where I was even trying new pillows on our existing bed, hoping that maybe I could get away with having to spend less because it was the pillow's "fault,"

We've had the bed for 3 nights, now.  I think we got the iComfort "Prodigy."  The mattress had very minimal odor, which was something we had been worried about.  The salesperson said we could place a cut apple on a plate on the bed (obviously while we weren't in it) to help absorb odor, but honestly, we didn't need to.  The first night was a little getting used to, but even after that 1st night, we both woke up with NO back pain.  It's the perfect firmness for my hip support.

One thing I need to work on, still, however, is my pillow. We got them to give us the iComfort pillow for free, and I also ordered a Talay latex one. So, while the bed supports our hips and back perfectly, I still have an issue with my shoulder.  So, it's like I need a little LESS firmness for my hips, and a little something else for my shoulder, as my arms and shoulders get a little numb while sleeping (so, maybe its too hard on the shoulder area??).  I'm trying my Side Sleeper Pro pillow with the bed tonight to see if that works.

But, for now, it is SO worth it to not hobble around like an 90-year-old when I get out of bed in the morning.

And, we absolutely LOVE the adjustable feature. So much more comfortable to sit up in bed!

I'll try and post how things are after a couple of weeks.

Reply #204 Oct 20, 2011 1:18 PM
I recently purchased the serta icomfort genius mattress sleep system and I couldn't be more happy with it!. I spent a lot of time at Macys trying out all the mattresses. At the time there were many other people in that department as well and all but one of us (he wanted a very low  price) chose the icomfort, which had only been in the store about a week at that time. I have long standing back problems and this bed, compared to all the others I tried, is like sleeping on a cloud, yet it was also firm enough so that there is no sagging. I actually look  forward to going to sleep at night! It is the best mattress I have ever owned.  I did detect an odor at first but it dissipated after about 4 days.
Reply #205 Oct 21, 2011 6:32 AM
Posting again to point out that regarding the Icomfort Genius, be aware there are different firmness/softness styles. I wonder if those who are saying it is too firm were aware of this. I believe there are 5 levels to choose from going from firm to soft, numbers 1-5. I like a fairly firm bed so I chose #2, but if firm isn't your cup o' tea there are softer ones down the line 3 to 5 to choose from
Reply #206 Oct 22, 2011 12:51 AM
eastcoast wrote:

I recently purchased the serta icomfort genius mattress sleep system and I couldn't be more happy with it!. I spent a lot of time at Macys trying out all the mattresses. At the time there were many other people in that department as well and all but one of us (he wanted a very low  price) chose the icomfort, which had only been in the store about a week at that time. I have long standing back problems and this bed, compared to all the others I tried, is like sleeping on a cloud, yet it was also firm enough so that there is no sagging. I actually look  forward to going to sleep at night! It is the best mattress I have ever owned.  I did detect an odor at first but it dissipated after about 4 days.

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for dropping by, Eastcoast, and leaving us your rave review. My my my - so many other people were there at the same time as you, and all but one (a penny pincher) all picked an icomfort, even though it had only been available for one week, huh? That's quite somethign. Did you have to take numbers for a chance to lie on the floor model or maybe share? angleThere is strength in numbers, especially in a democracy like ours, and we all know unsolicited testimony is particularly credible, especially when backed up by all those other people who were there at the same time as you were and made the same decision. That sounds kind of fun - almost like a club or something. Wish I had been there.

Reply #207 Oct 22, 2011 2:50 AM
chi123 wrote:

Hi, Bronson:

Let me just say that I am NOT a salesperson.  I, too, have been looking to others for advice on a new mattress and/or pillow for a while.

Two years ago, we broke down and bought a Tempurpedic.  In the store, it was nice and soft.  We didn't buy the top of the line, but the way it appeared in the store, it seemed we did not need to.

When it arrived, it really gave off a smell.  That smells lasted for days! Also, my husband and I aren't heavy people (110 and 150).  We would lie on the mattress and it wouldn't give at all.  Very weird and hard to explain.  After living with it for a couple of weeks, we decided to return it within the time period allowed.  We bought it at a furniture store, so our only other choices were even MORE expensive Tempurpedic mattresses or your standard coil mattresses.  We thought we needed something firm so we ended up with a pretty firm Laura Ashley mattress.  After a while, we bought a gel memory topper and decided to "make do," even though one or both of us would wake up each morning with lower and/or upper back pain.

We thought about the Sleep Comfort bed, but with the mixed reviews I kept reading on quality, I was reluctant to even try one because or our experience with the Tempurpedic (which also gets mixed reviews, but we had decided to take a chance).

One day, I had enough, so we went to "look" at mattresses at a mattress store and tried the iComfort.  We chose one that was not the best seller, but the one a step above that (in price and firmness).  We tried an even more firm one, too, but that seemed like the bed we already had, so we went with the semi-firm one.  We also broke down and got the adjustable base.  This was a huge splurge, I know, but we went with the 3-year, no interest deal, which allows us to pay it over time and makes the cost a little more palatable.

Mind you, I should add that this was also at a point where I was even trying new pillows on our existing bed, hoping that maybe I could get away with having to spend less because it was the pillow's "fault,"

We've had the bed for 3 nights, now.  I think we got the iComfort "Prodigy."  The mattress had very minimal odor, which was something we had been worried about.  The salesperson said we could place a cut apple on a plate on the bed (obviously while we weren't in it) to help absorb odor, but honestly, we didn't need to.  The first night was a little getting used to, but even after that 1st night, we both woke up with NO back pain.  It's the perfect firmness for my hip support.

One thing I need to work on, still, however, is my pillow. We got them to give us the iComfort pillow for free, and I also ordered a Talay latex one. So, while the bed supports our hips and back perfectly, I still have an issue with my shoulder.  So, it's like I need a little LESS firmness for my hips, and a little something else for my shoulder, as my arms and shoulders get a little numb while sleeping (so, maybe its too hard on the shoulder area??).  I'm trying my Side Sleeper Pro pillow with the bed tonight to see if that works.

But, for now, it is SO worth it to not hobble around like an 90-year-old when I get out of bed in the morning.

And, we absolutely LOVE the adjustable feature. So much more comfortable to sit up in bed!

I'll try and post how things are after a couple of weeks.

Ya know, you could mention which model of Tempurpedic you tried and didn't like.  They make over 10 different models.

Good thing you got the adjustable base .... you'd never know your box spring foundation was sagging if you got one of those.  The box spring weighs about 15 lbs total for a twin .... it's a real nice steaming POS.

Reply #208 Oct 22, 2011 2:57 AM
eastcoast wrote:

Posting again to point out that regarding the Icomfort Genius, be aware there are different firmness/softness styles. I wonder if those who are saying it is too firm were aware of this. I believe there are 5 levels to choose from going from firm to soft, numbers 1-5. I like a fairly firm bed so I chose #2, but if firm isn't your cup o' tea there are softer ones down the line 3 to 5 to choose from

iComfort is Serta's line of memory foam mattresses.  They all have 6" regular foam cores at bottom.

entry level - Insight with 2.75" gel memory foam atop. between Genius and Prodigy in firmness

next, Genius - 2" 'support foam' then 2.75" gel mem foam on top (most firm)

next Revolution - 2.75" gel mem foam , then 3" Koolcomfort memory foam (mine had 3")  Softest

next Prodigy - 2.75" gel mem foam, 1" latex, 3" Kcomfort memory foam  slightly firmer than Revolution due to latex

Reply #209 Oct 22, 2011 2:08 PM
MrsRomano wrote:

My husband and I just purchased the Serta iComfort. We decided on the Revolution plush mattress. We had initially gone into the store wanting a Tempurpedic, but seeing the price tag we thought there had to be something else similar but with a smaller price tag. The salesperson showed us the iComfort and as soon as I laid down, I knew it was the one we'd end up purchasing. We've had it for about a month now and we have LOVED it since the day it was delivered. Oh my goodness, my husband and I joke and say that it's the "worst" thing we've ever done because it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning because it is so comfy! I had read some reviews online before purchasing and was kind of nervous that it would have a smell or be too firm upon delivery but had no problems with either issue. It did have a slight smell when it was first delivered--Very faint, and not "bad." It just had a "new" smell to it. Kind of comparable to a newly painted house smell. It went away within 2-3 days. I'm currently staying at my mom's for the weekend and I cannot wait to get back to our bed!! Now everything in comparison is just horrible. We definitely recommend this mattress. We got the price down to $1500 at Mattress Warehouse. A large chunk of money for a mattress but it is so worth it and it came with a 25 year warranty. The mattress itself is beautiful! I love the quilted patterned top. So is the box spring. There is no need for a bed skirt to hide it because it is so well made. I used to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, now i just melt into this bed and wake up in the same position. I actually used to have problems with sleep walking, too. But since sleeping on this mattress it has stopped. My husband is a former Marine (he just got out last month) and has had issues sleeping. Not getting to sleep, but staying to sleep. Even on Ambien he would wake up between 4-6 times a night. It was so frustrating for both of us. Now we go to bed early and sleep in every day! This thing is too good!

My husband and I have been looking at the Tempur-pedic beds and went in to possibly buy one yesterday. The salesman showed us the iComfort Revolution and now we’re torn! We love the idea of the Cool Gel technology, as my husband is a warm sleeper. The bed in the store felt amazing and we loved the adjustable base to adjust to relieve frequent acid reflux symptoms and snoring (all my husband). The reviews on this site make it sound as amazing and we felt it was after leaving the store. However, after reading some other reviews on other sites, lots of people are saying they’ve had their WORST night’s sleep on the iComfot and aren’t even willing to give it time for the “break-in period”. This makes me nervous. I don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress, only to be miserable. I don’t see any reviews on Consumer Reports since it seems this mattress is still very new, and I’m looking for some unbiased reviews (not the ones that Serta chooses simply because a person says they love their product).  We are considering the iComfort Revolution, but we are nervous because of the wide spectrum of reviews we are reading -  both positive and negative.  We are looking to buy a new mattress in the next week or two…help! :)

Reply #210 Oct 22, 2011 2:40 PM
We've had our iComfort Insight for about a week - it's WAY too firm - much firmer than what we tried in the store. We actually got the Insight because it felt the most plush out of all of them, but found out later that the Revolution is supposed to be softest (felt firm int he store). We're currently waiting on a 4" piece of super soft foam & a 3" piece of latex to try to soften it.

Lesson learned - floor models will all feel different than what gets delivered because of use and other factors, so personal accounts (even though subjective) are good to read, but it's really just a big crap shoot.

Reply #211 Oct 24, 2011 9:41 AM
gnsreich wrote:

My husband and I have been looking at the Tempur-pedic beds and went in to possibly buy one yesterday. The salesman showed us the iComfort Revolution and now we’re torn! We love the idea of the Cool Gel technology, as my husband is a warm sleeper. The bed in the store felt amazing and we loved the adjustable base to adjust to relieve frequent acid reflux symptoms and snoring (all my husband). The reviews on this site make it sound as amazing and we felt it was after leaving the store. However, after reading some other reviews on other sites, lots of people are saying they’ve had their WORST night’s sleep on the iComfot and aren’t even willing to give it time for the “break-in period”. This makes me nervous. I don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress, only to be miserable. I don’t see any reviews on Consumer Reports since it seems this mattress is still very new, and I’m looking for some unbiased reviews (not the ones that Serta chooses simply because a person says they love their product).  We are considering the iComfort Revolution, but we are nervous because of the wide spectrum of reviews we are reading -  both positive and negative.  We are looking to buy a new mattress in the next week or two…help! :)

We have had the I Comfort Revolution for almost four months an love it. If you have more specific quesitons e-mail through the link in the upper right corner.

Recent Posts