Please help with topper , wool or foam?
Dec 22, 2010 9:11 AM
Hi,

I have a 4 inch memory foam that I got at overstock about 8 years ago, it has I believe, broken down. It rips easy now and there is a big depression in the center where I sleep that no longer will recover. My lower back is complaining again and I am no longer getting a good sleep. I also have a bad rotator cuff from a recent accident that hurts more if I sleep without the memory foam. I have a gold bond extra firm mattress as a base for the topper that is less than a year old.

I have been looking at the following products:

Aerus Natural 4.0 lb. Plush 2.5” Memory Foam 2.5 inch I saw at samsclub

a wool topper that has 8.33 lbs of wool  from naturaworld

also debating a latex topper.

I was looking at the wool topper as I perspire alot at night, maybe due to the heat of the memory foam or just the fact that I perspire more normally than normal. I hear the wool is very good at wicking and keeping heat at reasonable levels in both winter and summer.

I was not sure if the wool topper alone would give me the needed pressure point relief that the memory foam does. I also think the foam I am currently using  is not dense enough; I think it is 2 lb.

Reading some of this forum the aerus sounds pretty good without too much off gassing... I am not sure if my allergies are affected by the current topper or not but they may be worse with it .. so I was thinking along the lines of a better setup with less fumes. I know samsclub has the aerus and if I went with that would I need to double it up for 4+ inches ( put two of the 2.5 together?)

Would I be better off with something like a thinner wool pad and the foam?

i know this is highly subjective but would the 4 pound aerus and a wool topper give me a fairly firm feel but soft enough to relieve pressure? I am a side and stomach sleeper so I can never get perfect, I just want some setup that is softer than the extra firm base and not as soft as the 2 lb foam with some breathability.

I haven't looked into latex toppers yet, the aerus seems to be within my budget though and it claims to be free from off gassing? I have no clue here.

Thank you, Bob

This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by BobKat

Recent Posts