Simmons 250 NxG Firm question
Feb 10, 2010 1:14 PM
Would love to hear opinions about the Simmons NxG 250 firm? Would I be able to add a topper, (latex or foam) to this type of bed if the NxG foam where to break down prematurely OR just to change the feel if I didn't like it?

Your replies are very much appreciated :-)
Natalie

PS. I have really tried to research this bed. Have read through the older posts (not very many on this bed) here, almost all good reviews at Macy's and US Mattress, one bad at Viewpoints, none at epinions, so please don't think I'm not also doing my own research. Of course none of the reviews say if you can add a topper later, so I'm posting it here.

Specs from US Mattress:
Comfort
Quilt - Top of Mattress
Comfort - Padding Layers
Mattress Build-Out
Correct Back Support System
Foundation
Mattress Set Height Information
Warranty

This message was modified Feb 10, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Simmons 250 NxG Firm question
Reply #10 Feb 11, 2010 9:11 AM
Don't forget  ripoffreport.com

Also, I saw what consumer reports said was a really good bed........

How much is that Simmons?

Have you read if Simmons honors it's warented products?

That seems to be the #1 thing the admn harp on. Can you take it back if you don't like it?

Alice 

Reply #11 Feb 11, 2010 11:11 AM
I'm really not sure if its common practice in the US or not, but I would assume most places you buy that type of bed from would not just simply return it, there would be some type of comfort exchange priveleges though. 

Really the only places that should have an actual refund policy are going to be either internet only retailers and places like Costco because you cannot really try out the bed at all before you buy.  My policy is absolutely not to do a 100% refund, unless of course we have exhausted all our options and we know before we do an exchange that the customer just wants to be unhappy.  I have only refunded one mattress myself.

Regarding Simmons on warranty issues I think it really depends on who is doing the warranty inspection, all the reps on that product in my area are very forgiving.  I have seen more than a handful of beds get warrantied that they really didn't even have to. 
Reply #12 Feb 11, 2010 1:50 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
Don't forget  ripoffreport.com

Also, I saw what consumer reports said was a really good bed........

How much is that Simmons?

Have you read if Simmons honors it's warented products?

That seems to be the #1 thing the admn harp on. Can you take it back if you don't like it?

Alice 

fantasticalice,

I don't have access to consumer reports.

Sale prices:
The 250 NxG is around 2000.00 for the set, 1600.00 for the mattress only. I have an Ergo Motion Adjustable foundation, so I'm looking at mattress only.
The 400 NxG is around 2500.00 for the set, 2000.00 for the mattress only.

I personally have a one time comfort exchange on my currant TP Cloud, so this would it for me. Or I could get my money back and go somewhere else, but Sleep Train does have this Simmons and so far have they've been great to deal with.
For first time buyers, Sleep Train in CA has a 100 night try out. Then you can either get a full refund or do a one time exchange. Other mattress stores in my area, only offer the one time comfort exchange.

14 Simmons complaints on Ripoff.com

Note: No Rip off reports on Tempurpedic, but I have read of claims denied on other forums. Mostly because TP does not warranty against the bed getting softer. And of course over time they do get a lot softer. They do however cover any visible indention of 1/2" or deeper. And stains DO NOT void the warranty.

Simmons Warranty: (on this bed 10 year)

This warranty does not apply to:

• Firmness preference of the product 

• Normal body impression(s) of 1 1/2" or less**

• Bed height

• Cover (fabric)

• Bent border/grid wires
 ---- Okay, this one bothers me----
• Burns, stains or soil

• Mattresses not used with a proper foundation (see (i) and (ii) on following page)

• Merchandise sold “as-is”, “distressed” or “floor model”
• Adjustable foundations (see the owner’s manual for details)

• For HealthSmart™ models, damage due to improper washing (including snags and discoloration)

• For HealthSmart™ models, shrinkage, so long as top can still be zipped on

• Claims made outside the 50 United States, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands

• Transportation, inspection, or removal costs of product

• Simmons product that has a manufacturing defect and is stained or soiled. For health and safety reasons, Simmons may not be able to inspect these products to assess whether covered by the warranty, in        which case, Simmons reserves the right to deny warranty coverage.

Thank you for the post. You really made me do even more research, which BTW, is a good thing :-)
Natalie <--- learning all the time
Reply #13 Feb 11, 2010 7:31 PM
Now that's what we love on this forum!  Members who *do their research* *become knowledgeable* (or at least as knowledgeable as you can be in this mystifying world of mattresses) and *share informed knowledge*

Keep it up!  The part that worries me about this warranty is that the indentation has to be at least 1.5" for a warranty claim.  My concern is the quality of the PU foam used in the base layers and how soon they will break down.  I can tell you that a few years ago I bought my daughter a new mattress, and within a year there was a giant crater right in the middle of it.  Fortunately she's young, not old and creaky like we are, and wouldn't hear of me replacing it.  But i do want to avoid the same situation happening with my other daughter, who I'm now mattress shopping for.
Reply #14 Feb 12, 2010 3:39 PM
I laid on the nx250 in the stoer for about 20 minutes, although a short time, it did appear to be very comfortable.  Of course the sales person had no idea about the foam..
Reply #15 Feb 12, 2010 5:00 PM
Found this review along with a followup comment and picture posted on Viewpoints: (Hope it's okay to post it here, if not please let me know)

After a back-and-forth with Simmons and Mattress Warehouse, it seems Mattress Warehouse was trying to pull a fast one by denying our warranty claim.  Once Simmons saw the photos of our bulge, they stepped in and are now making MW take back our defective mattress so we can pick out a new one.

Yay Simmons!  The bed was/is very comfortable, so if they're saying this defect is not normal then I should expect this to NOT HAPPEN AGAIN if we pick out another Simmons mattress.

The moral of this story?  Don't shop at Mattress Warehouse.

Here's my original review below.  Sorry if this doesn't speak to the comfort of the bed, but that's entirely subjective anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After approximately 11 months, my Simmons NXG 400 mattress has developed a tumor.

The edge collapsed, leaving a dip in the top and a huge bulge on the outer rim.  I had a mattress inspector come to the house.  The verdict?  The store where I bought the mattress says this is not covered under the Simmons warranty.  Apparently, when the edge of a bed fails it's not the manufacturer's responsibility.

Nothing adverse has happened to this bed, other than getting in it and out of it on a nightly/daily basis.  That Simmons is not standing behind their product is disappointing, but I'm not taking this lying down (no pun intended).

As part of the "battle of the bulge," I am documenting my lumpy experience in numerous online forums, and also writing letters to Simmons and the mattress store.  Most importantly, I hope anyone reading this thinks twice about buying ANY Simmons mattress.

Although I have tried to use humor to illustrate my frustration, I assure you this is an extremely upsetting situation considering we spent over $3,000 for this spring and foam piece of junk.

Comment on Review by another owner:

We have the identical problem, much worse, actually, and so far, no one wants to warrant this - we have slept on this bed less than 3 months

In the Simmons warranty I posted above one of the exclusions is • Bent border/grid wires. Does that pertain to this "bulge"?

Natalie

Reply #16 Feb 12, 2010 5:20 PM
based on this photo I am going to say no.

the bent border rod thing with Simmons is really just protecting their asses on people that literally had to bend the mattress too much in order to get it to fit through a tight staircase or something.  If this was caused by moving the mattress incorrectly the bend would most certainly be almost right in the middle and not near the head end of the mattress.  This one is pretty clearly caused by just using the edge of the mattress, which should be covered by warranty.
Reply #17 Feb 12, 2010 7:20 PM
REALLY? How it was moved......the dudes from Costco DROPPED my mattress and how they got it in my bedroom is another story! Then there's the post from the gal who says they moved the pick-up beds with the new beds. If some one has bed bugs so do you and she got em'. I am so glad I didn't get stuck with another bummer but I would of kept the $300 air bed from Costco and inside I would of put latex. Live and learn. Hoping so see a deal like that again.

Alice   

Reply #18 Feb 12, 2010 8:28 PM
Sorry I haven't time to read this whole thread and maybe I already posted this...
But as soon as I saw this, I thought there was a problem:

"
Comfort - Padding Layers
Mattress Build-Out
This mattress had FOUR INCHES of soft foam on top! (Look at the See what's inside this mattress" link)

That alone makes this a useless mattress, imho.

You can always add a topper later. The problem is that you can NOT reverse the negative effects of too-soft, non-supportive foam inside a mattress!
Even the Englander I bought in "FIRM" - the firmest they had - had 3" or so of Peee-Ewww foam on top of the springs and so I had to immediately take it out and replace it with better foam!

The problem with this mattress isn't that it's going to be too firm, the problem is, it's going to be too soft and/or non-supportive. IMHO.
This message was modified Feb 12, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #19 Feb 13, 2010 2:49 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
REALLY? How it was moved......the dudes from Costco DROPPED my mattress and how they got it in my bedroom is another story! Then there's the post from the gal who says they moved the pick-up beds with the new beds. If some one has bed bugs so do you and she got em'. I am so glad I didn't get stuck with another bummer but I would of kept the $300 air bed from Costco and inside I would of put latex. Live and learn. Hoping so see a deal like that again.

Alice   

Ewww.. Alice! Bed bugs! Shouldn't have read this right before bed last night... gave me creepy-crawlies. One more thing to worry about .

After reading all the knowledgeable replies, this one has been crossed off my list.

Thank you everyone,
Natalie

BTW, I just looked at all the mattress surgeries. Amazing to see what's really on the inside!

Recent Posts