Simmons 250 NxG Firm question
Feb 10, 2010 1:14 PM
Would love to hear opinions about the Simmons NxG 250 firm? Would I be able to add a topper, (latex or foam) to this type of bed if the NxG foam where to break down prematurely OR just to change the feel if I didn't like it?

Your replies are very much appreciated :-)
Natalie

PS. I have really tried to research this bed. Have read through the older posts (not very many on this bed) here, almost all good reviews at Macy's and US Mattress, one bad at Viewpoints, none at epinions, so please don't think I'm not also doing my own research. Of course none of the reviews say if you can add a topper later, so I'm posting it here.

Specs from US Mattress:
Comfort
Quilt - Top of Mattress
Comfort - Padding Layers
Mattress Build-Out
Correct Back Support System
Foundation
Mattress Set Height Information
Warranty

This message was modified Feb 10, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Simmons 250 NxG Firm question
Reply #1 Feb 10, 2010 1:55 PM
You can always add a topper, but if the foam underneath the NXG material breaks down (there is still standard PU foam used underneath the NXG layer) then the topper will only mask the issue and will probably not remove body indentations. 
Reply #2 Feb 10, 2010 4:52 PM
I tried this bed when I was mattress shopping and found it unbelievably comfortable - actually, I think I tried 1 model up - an NXG 450 or something like that.

Nevertheless, I didn't buy it because of what Budgy just said - if there is PU foam in there, it will break down, and within a matter of a few months or years. 

However, I have to say that it was one of the most pleasurable mattresses I've tried.  If I had confidence it would last, I would have bought it.
Reply #3 Feb 10, 2010 10:03 PM
budgy wrote:
You can always add a topper, but if the foam underneath the NXG material breaks down (there is still standard PU foam used underneath the NXG layer) then the topper will only mask the issue and will probably not remove body indentations. 

budgy, you are a fount of knowledge! I only wish you could be cloned and placed in each of the mattress stores in my area . I'm grateful for all your replies on this forum.
Natalie
Reply #4 Feb 10, 2010 10:39 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I tried this bed when I was mattress shopping and found it unbelievably comfortable - actually, I think I tried 1 model up - an NXG 450 or something like that.

Nevertheless, I didn't buy it because of what Budgy just said - if there is PU foam in there, it will break down, and within a matter of a few months or years. 

However, I have to say that it was one of the most pleasurable mattresses I've tried.  If I had confidence it would last, I would have bought it.

KimberlyH,

I agree totally! This bed, especially in the 400 line, feels like heaven! But if I trade in my TP Cloud Supreme, I can only do it once so I'm researching this Simmons Nxg and the TP Rhapsody, along with a few distant others.

I feel a kinship to you as we both suffer from the tingling, burning, painful hips problem. Others think I'm nuts and too over sensitive but I know my own pain. Let me say I am soooo glad you found a mattress that has helped you! (YAY!)

BTW, you had suggested on another of my posts on building my own latex bed from Flobeds, or Sleepez and I forgot to tell you why I don't. I understand the layers are heavy and difficult for one person to handle and I have physical limitations. Though I could probably get my son to take a trip to visit and help me once, if it were to involved any returns and adjustments, his work schedule and expense of travel would be too much to ask. So, either a TP, or a pre-built store brand that a topper can be added to will have to do. All I can do is research, research, research.

Thank you for all your help. I hope someday I can post something useful and help someone too!

Natalie
Reply #5 Feb 10, 2010 11:48 PM
Natalia wrote:
budgy, you are a fount of knowledge! I only wish you could be cloned and placed in each of the mattress stores in my area . I'm grateful for all your replies on this forum.
Natalie

Quoted for flattery :)  Thank you
Reply #6 Feb 10, 2010 11:49 PM
If Natalia bought the Simmons and if the foam wears out (okay it will wear out) and she does mattress surgery where is the fire retardants in the new beds nowadays?  That is a question I wondered if some of them use boric acid powder or some kind of chemical and you don't know it when it open it yikes.

Budgy can you address (please) which beds have what "stuff" in it for fire retardants requirements.  I would want to know it only have wool in it before I did mattress surgery.
Reply #7 Feb 11, 2010 12:11 AM
realistically all mattress coverings and sometimes fibre layers underneath the covers are treated with something.  Boric acid is typically only used in cotton batting.  Polyester outer mattress coverings are treated with formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde is very soluble in water and they basically just spray the covers down with it.  If you want a mattress that is basically guaranteed not to have chemical flame retardants you want it certified by Eco Institut (the whole mattress, not just the latex, or whatever filling materials are used).  They have a strict tolerance of less than 20mg of formaldehyde per cubic metre of batting material, if formaldehyde was required to make the mattress pass the fire safety test it would likely spike to a level easily 100 times over this amount. 

Another interesting thing about wool being used as a chemical fire retardant.  I found a manufacturers website claiming wool doesn't allow a bed to pass these new requirements (because wool still burns).  Wool alone CAN pass the requirements, but you need to use a fair bit of it.  All mattress (even treated with chemicals) will still go up in flames, they just have to take a certain amount of time before they are completely engulfed in flames.  One thing to keep in mind is that large scale manufacturing facilities are usually designed with quilting machines that can run up to 400m of fabric an hour because they need to churn out hundreds of mattresses a day.  When these companies put wool (or silk) in a quilted layer it is in very small amounts because those fibres interfere with the way these quilted machines work.  I have seen the way these machines work first hand compared to say the way an all wool quilted panel is done.  They basically have to send the carded wool and fabric layers into the quilting machine by hand (hand feed) and they really have to take their time to insure the job is done correctly, these types of machines will run at about 40m of fabric an hour because they have to be much more careful and they are going through usually very thick wool piling.  Basically what I am getting at is that major companies simply cannot put this amount of wool into their beds, not even close to enough to use it as a flame retardant, especially when its all mixed with polyester (which is basically made from hydrocarbons and burns very easily).  So they would all have those polyester layers treated with something as well as the cover. 
Reply #8 Feb 11, 2010 1:57 AM
Thanks Budgy for that info.  Are some mattress companies more free with the boric acid than others?  The formaldehyde in the mattress top is that labeled on the tag?  Do all manufacturers do this to your knowledge?

I do not want formaldehyde on my mattress.  You are saying they have done this before the law required them to for fire retardant reasons?

What can consumers do to get more information on this?   I tried to read manufacturers websites, but you know they are not real forthcoming with information even on what is in those mattresses.  Particularly even when they put latex in them, they don't even tell you what ILD, or firm, or soft.

Do customers you have ask about this, or do they just blindly buy and not care?  I for one never wanted this law passed.  I don't smoke, and I have a fire alarm system with a phone I can call 911 .  Government passes stupid laws sometimes.  Don't we have enough chemicals in our life?  Getting off my soap box now.

Why can't they just lay the wool over the mattress before they make their mattress cover with stitching?  I for one don't like their machine quilting with foam sewn it, it makes it bumpy and uncomfortable.

Gripe, gripe, gripe.  If I could only make my own mattress from scratch.
Reply #9 Feb 11, 2010 2:23 AM
wool in large amounts not being quilted properly = lumps (not to mention still too costly for most big brands to implement).

no, unfortunately these things will not be listed on the law label tag in this kind of detail.  only what the upholstery is made of, and usually fabric content as well.

As for has this been done even before the laws got tighter?  I think its been done in limited amounts for quite some time, there havebeen fire safety laws for mattresses for quite some time, they are just now much tougher to pass without resorting to chemical flame retardants to keep the cost reasonable.  Realistically the only way you can know for sure that you would not have any chemical flame retardants is to buy something certified organic, or atleast all natural with wool being used as a fire barrier.  Or even better than that is to buy from a manufacturer that ONLY builds organic, because then there is also zero chance of cross contamination.  And if you don't like wool for whatever reason (maybe allergy concerns) you can get some manufacturers to build you a bed without wool and without chemical flame retardants given you have a prescription.
This message was modified Feb 11, 2010 by budgy
Reply #10 Feb 11, 2010 9:11 AM
Don't forget  ripoffreport.com

Also, I saw what consumer reports said was a really good bed........

How much is that Simmons?

Have you read if Simmons honors it's warented products?

That seems to be the #1 thing the admn harp on. Can you take it back if you don't like it?

Alice 

Recent Posts