Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #108 Jul 5, 2011 7:28 AM
Per somene else asking me a private question on here about how this bed feels when sitting up in bed watching tv, I thought I would post what I told them in case anyone else was wondering. Not trying to over post.

As far as sitting up in bed for an extended period of time, I haven't done that to watch tv, but I have done that playing on my computer. Sometimes for several hourse. And you are correct to some extent, your butt does sink down into the bed more and after a while it does kind of hurt your back a little bit. I wasn't using pillows behind or on the side of me though. I was just leaning against the headboard which was against the wall and sitting up almost at a 90 degree angle. From me personal experience over the last three years with my Glideaway memory foam bed, I would think that if you weren't at such a harsh angle sitting straight up, but leaning back more, espeically with pillows that it would be a lot more comfortable and your butt wouldn't sink into the bed as much. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to message me. I will go ahead and put this post on the the board under my other posts so other people can see it too. Thanks for the good idea!!

Just in case anyone wondered

Moonshine

Reply #109 Jul 5, 2011 9:34 AM
firehawk343 wrote:

Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Reply #110 Jul 5, 2011 6:13 PM
I spent quite a bit of time laying on all 4 models of iComfort and tried out the adjustable base today.  Here's how I rate the firmness from most firm to most Plush, and why -

most firm - Genius - there is a 2" layer of support foam underneath the layer of Gel foam.  This gives the firmest feel to me

next - Insight - No 2" support foam that the Genius has, so the feel is a little more Plush.  For me, it's actually pretty darn good, and at $899 twin XL set at Sears, it seems a decent value

next - Prodigy - This has an additional layer of 1" Latex foam.  To me, it is a bit firmer than the Revolution, although it is still a Plush feel.

most Plush of all - Revolution - Hands down for me the most Plush of the 4.  This is the one I'm exchanging to.  I don't feel any twist of my back in the store.  The real test will be at home.

All four of these beds feel of high quality to me and I'm looking forward to the Revolution.

I liked the adjustable base bed.  I tried it on a Revolution Queen.  There's auto buttons for TV/PC, and sleep.  Head raises, foot raises or both.  Seperate head and foot massage.  Not an expert on these, but I liked it.

It stinks a little bit how Seta prices these.  For example the only difference between an Insight and Revolution is 2" of Kool Action memory foam, yet the Revolution is $700 more than Insight.  Ouch.  Prodigy has 1" layer of latex foam over Revolution and price jumps $500.  Not so easy on the wallet, but can't say I can make one of these at home.  I won't be trying anything like a Novaform from Costco or Aerus from WalMart as they give no indication they make a twin XL which is all I have room for.  Still, the $500 ish prices leave me thinking they are of a little less quality than iComfort.  

This message was modified Jul 5, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #111 Jul 5, 2011 6:25 PM
sandy wrote:

We are shopping for good matterss for my husand's back pain.  Right now we are thinking either Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme or Serta I comfort Revolution.

Both these mattresses seem very comfortable.  Somehow salesperson scared us that Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme sleeps warmer.

We are very confused about our decision.  Any feedback is appreciated on these mattresses.

Thanks

Two interesting choices you picked out as I've laid on both.  Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme is $2350 in twin XL with fixed foundation, so it's pricey.  Revolution is $1,599 as twin XL set with 9" foundation.  Clean $750 difference right there.

I sort of doubt the Tempurpedic Cloud's will sleep warm.  Maybe it depends more on the individual.  I have no experience with memory foam mattresses at home though.

The biggest thing is here in SF Bay Area, tempurpedics are sold through the major chains like Sleep Train and Mancini's whereas iComfort is not sold at either but are sold at the major department stores Sears and JCPenney.  I find the prices a little easier at Sears and less sales pressure, so that's working for me better at this point. 

Reply #112 Jul 6, 2011 1:05 AM
I think the Temper Cloud will sleep very hot.  It is memory foam and softer than the classic so you sink in more.
Reply #113 Jul 6, 2011 3:00 AM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I think the Temper Cloud will sleep very hot.  It is memory foam and softer than the classic so you sink in more.

I sure hope I don't find that with the iComfort Revolution because as said before, I've really found it to be the most Plush model of all four, and it of course is memory foam.

The only way I will know is to have it here and sleep on it.  I can't detect any sort of excess warmth laying on it for 20 minutes in the store.

Reply #114 Jul 12, 2011 2:13 AM
Hi there everyone!! Another update on my experience with the Icomfort Revolution bed. Read all of my previous posts if you are wondering what I have said before this. Soooo..... per my last posting, I officially hate this bed with a passion and I think I got a defective bed. Don't know if I mentioned this in the the above posting, but on day 5 of sleeping on this brand new bed, it hurt my back so bad I decided to do a body impression test on it. I thought there's no way this or any other bed could have an impression after day 5 but I thought I would measure anyway. There was a 3/8 of an inch body impression after 5 days of sleeping on it!! I measured after I was off the bed for a good 20 minutes and the foam had sprung back to it's original position.

You may think that 3/8 of an inch is nothing, but the manufacturer replacement requirements for Tempurpedic and the Serta Icomfort are 3/4 of an inch. Once you have 3/4 of an inch, they replace the bed for free. Memory foam beds aren't supposed to get horrible body impressions like innnersprings, which is why they only require 3/4 of an inch for them to be defective.

Thankfully, I called my store and despite the fact that I already did my one bed exchange, they allowed me to take back the Tempurpedic Classic which was the original bed that I had purchased as they still had it in their warehouse and hadn't sent it back to Tempurpedic yet. I think I probably got a dud in the Icomfort bed, because my sisters bed is still great, feels a lot firmer than mine, and she still loves it.

My official final opinion on the Icomfort Revolution bed is it's a very astecially pleasing bed to look at and it seems to be very comfortable in the showroom of whatever store you happen to be shopping at. I do think that there are quality control issues though and I am not the only one on this forum who has had a problem like this. The bed is either way too soft or way to hard upon receiving it. You may get the bed and it will be perfect and feel just like in the showroom. Or, it may have problems with the durability of the elasticity of the foam. My sister loves hers, but based on my experience I wouldn't recommend this bed. This bed has only been on the market for about a year, and has only been available to certain mattress stores for about 6 months. If you are thinking of getting a quality memory foam mattress, I would stick to something that is tried and true and has proven itself over many years and get a Tempurpedic.

Finally, ask yourself this: why is that that there are so many used tempurpedics for sale second hand on places like craigslist or ebay and they are still in good condition after the original owner has slep ton  them for 5 or even 7 years. Plus, they hold their value quite well second hand. I paid $1,799 for my queen Tempurpedic Classic brand new and I have seen them going used on craigslist for an average price of $500-$700. And that is after they are already 5 or 6 years old. I only know this as after I got the Serta Icomfrot and found I couldn't sleep on it, I got desperate and started looking for a used tempurpedic. And they sell really fast at those used prices too. Almost everyone I talked to who was getting rid of theirs was either upgrading to a higher end tempurpedic, getting a different size tempurpedic, or they were moving for some reason.

Didn't mean to get off topic with the Tempurpedic talk, but for those of you considering the Icomfort beds, my advice is to not rule out the Tempurpedics.

Thanks!!

Reply #115 Jul 12, 2011 1:51 PM
moonshine30 - I've felt a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme which was pretty good in the store.  I'm a side sleeper and pressure on my shoulders felt pretty low.  But at $3k new for a twin XL, forget it.  The contour beds (original, adavatage, etc..) feel a good bit firmer on my shoulder and I don't like the original covers they have.  Plus, I felt a Natural Mattress Store organic 3" latex over individuals coils with some wool and cotton cover that blows anything I've ever laid on away.  I just can't do the $1900 for a twin XL and no refund policy of this store this time around.

Plus, we have a local mfr. that sells direct to the public out of his showroom in front/warehouse in back.  Low prices.  That's my next move if below doesn't work out ...

-------------------------

My iComfort Revolution is due for delivery tomorrow from Sears.  It is coming as my one time comfort exchange after having my S&F set for 3 weeks.  The Revolution is more expensive.  My plan is to put the S&F set in another room and not let them take it until I've checked out the Revolution best as possible.  I'll try to feel the Revolution a bit while still in the bag, if possible.  I won't sign for the Revolution if it feels nothing like the store models (I've tried it in 3 different stores for lots of time.  They are all very similar).

I don't believe one bit in a 'break in' period for these Revolution beds.  They are simply a 7" layer of polyurethane support foam, 2 3/4" of gel memory foam and 2" of 'Kool Komfort' memory foam on top layer.  I don't want to have to walk around on my mattress or any other stuff that Sleep Train mentioned might be necessary to loosen up some Tempurpedic beds.

If I don't sign for the Revolution, I need to hurry and push for a return on the S&F set.  The 30 days is up on the 17th. btw, the S&F set is a Plush tight top.  It's ok, but as a side sleeper, I'm seeking maximum pressure relief for shoulders.  S&F 'Variable Response Technology' (fancy name for polyurethane foam) does not provide pressure relief anything like quality latex (couldn't find good latex bed at Sears, so next best is memory foam, I hope)

If the Revolution in only good after a week or so, I return it and will take the 15% restocking fee hit.  If it's really good for a couple weeks, likely will keep it.

This is a wild guess, but I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers put in premium materials on the retail floor models, then they put cheaper or lower grade foams and materials into the units delivered to customers.  The reason I suspect that is the equivalent of my S&F base model mattress in Sears has apparently been a floor model two years.  I don't see body indentations on it.  Mine formed body indentations after a week.  There is also some wrinkling my top fabric/ticking which indicates compressed foam.  Mine compresses and a floor model doesn't?

This message was modified Jul 12, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #116 Jul 13, 2011 3:43 PM
It's at my house folks.  A Serta iComfort Revolution twin XL with box spring.  A Revolution has 7" core support foam, 2 3/4" Gel memory foam, then 2" more of 'Kool Komfort' (sp?) memory foam on top.  It is listed as a Plush feel.  At Sears, the twin XL w/ box spring sells for $1,599, full $1,799 and Queen $1,999.  These are made by Serta as stated on law tag.  Serta makes an adjustable base with a pretty nifty control.  It is $1,600 for the twin XL size (half King) so that will need to wait.

The mattress arrived in a plastic bag and in a cardboard box, the box spring in a plastic bag only.

It's an exchange for the S&F set I had for almost 4 weeks.  The total cost for the Revolution twin XL set with tax is about $1,537 (they gave me a $200 discount for some reason when doing the exchange.  I was surprised as Sears will lose money reselling my 4 week old set.  Didn't mean to be a jerk exchanging, but I'm trying hard to get the best set I can this time around.  'Bout time).

I've been sticking my nose into the fabric and there is no strong odor.  I think I smell the faintest odor in the room, but I can hardly tell.

The set is sitting on a 2 month old $110 metal bed frame with 6 legs, so that will not be a problem at all.

Laying on it, it feels pretty much like the ones in the store.  It has the Revolution tag on it and was manufactured 2 days ago at Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

So, I'm excited about it!  I really hope it goes very well with this mattress.  I will let it air out and put the bedding on tonight.  I will be using a premium Protect-a-Bed waterproof cover (the very thin terry material) and 100% cotton sheets.

I'll keep you posted.  I hope to have good things to say about it. Lord knows I laid on it long enough in the store to pick it out. 

This message was modified Jul 13, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #117 Jul 14, 2011 9:56 AM
I've only slept one night on my new iComfort Revolution, but why not give advice right away when needed?

Smell?  What smell?  I don't smell anything.  I mean nothing.  Folks, there is no foul odor in the room with the bed.

I woke up with no backaches or neckaches and I don't have any to begin with.

I felt a little bit warmer than usual at one point in the night, but being too warm was not an issue this first night.  I slept with the same sheet and comforter as my conventional bed.  The weather is a little cooler than usual, so I'll need to see how it does on warmer nights (we don't have A/C, many people near the SF Bay don't).  50 miles East of here like in Tracy, you need A/C, but not here.

It is surprisingly easy to turn over in this bed.  Helps with sateen sheets, but still I'm surprised.  There's no quicksand feeling.  It doesn't have the springy feeling of a conventional, but turning over and having it mold to your new position happens really quick.

Pressure relieving.  Sure seems more pressure relieving than my new Stearns and Foster Plush bed I had for 4 weeks. This iComfort is pretty impressive to lay on*.

There was no warranty card that came with the bed or 'congrats for buying' card.  Sears was not so great in handling this exchange.  I had to call them to push it through by phone, they did not send a receipt.  I had to call back for salescheck number and go to the store for a computer screen print resembling somewhat of a receipt.  Hello, I have a $1,500 sleep set and I wouldn't have anything resembling a receipt for it if I hadn't busted butt. 

* Durability, only time will tell about that.  I expect it to bounce right back to its original shape for years to come.  It's a 25 year warranty on this bed.  I know it may not have Tempurpedic durability since the price is much less than a similar Tempurpedic.  But, I'm looking for a good middle of the road here.  It's still a $1,400 + tax twin XL set (Sears gave $200 discount) with box spring, and that's not inexpensive.

This message was modified Jul 14, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts