Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #118 Jul 15, 2011 1:38 PM
Thinking back to Astinia's posts how her Revolution iComfort bed was very firm, nothing like in the store.  It must have been defective or somehow they put a Revolution tag on a Genius.  Don't know.   But my Revolution is anything but firm or too hard.  It is very much like in the store.

I don't want to brag too much about the Revolution now, it's only been 2 nights on it.

Reply #119 Jul 17, 2011 12:54 PM
My husband and I bought the iComfort insight bed, king size.  We had previously purchased a new bed about 4 years ago (i loved it, he hated it - traditional pillow top, individually wrapped coils, etc).  Anyways, he really liked this bed.  We both prefer something a bit firmer, i feel it's better as with a softer bed i get a sore back.

The day it arrived it STUNK.  day 2 smell isn't so bad, but still there.

I've slept on it for 2 nights now.  The first night my DH said he slept like an angel.  I was undecided.  I just woke up from the second night and my  back HURTS.  i'm not sure if it's an adjustment period going from coil to memory foam or what? maybe it's too firm?  i know that for $1,600 i better love this damn bed.

i do get the 3 (4?) month trial period, but i a) can't get my old bed back and b) don't get my money back to go elsewhere - i'd still have to buy from this particular store.  and if what i like is cheaper, i do not get a refund of the difference, only store credit. 

so what is the proper length of time to give this bed a fair shot?  i shouldn't have hot/sore shoulders and same with my lower back, right?

for reference, i am 5'7, 150 pounds and my DH is 6'3, 260 pounds.

thanks for any help you may have.  at this point i am regretting this purchase, but hopefully it will get better.

Reply #120 Jul 17, 2011 2:05 PM
Ok.  I've been on my iComfort Revolution for 4 nights at this point.  Here's the issue for me .... this memory foam bed DEFINITELY sleep hotter/warmer than a traditional springs and foam mattress.

That's the only issue for me.  No back or neck aches.  I wouldn't say it's the most pressure relieving bed I've felt.  The EcoCloud bed at Natural Mattress Store was BY FAR the most pressure relieving bed I've ever laid on.

The iComfort is comfortable and supportive for me, but it sleeps warmer.

The heat buildup is between my body and the mattress and I feel it mostly in upper body.   It's starting to make sense now - memory foam is much more dense than regular foam.  There is almost nowhere for the heat to go.

So, at 4am, I woke up, laid there, turned the comforter down.  used only top sheet.  Didn't like that.  Up at 4:30am, took protect-a-bed off.  The warmth without protect-a-bed was the same as with it, so protector is not an issue.   And the thing is, the weather is not hot right now.  It's been overcast everynight since I have the bed.  What's going to happen when it warms up?

I was not sweating in the bed, but warm enough to wake.  One embarassing thing that might be an issue is I ate too much ice cream after 6pm last night.  All that sugar in my system might be a problem and sure doesn't make it good for sleeping through.  I'll knock that off

We don't have air conditoning and I was thinking, how stupid for other people to turn up the air conditioning to compensate for a mattress that sleeps too hot.  Waste of energy.

So, now, I'll switch out my comforter for a light blanket over sheet tonight.  ... I'll give it a couple weeks with this bed, of course I hope it works out, but I'll have another picked out in case.  That other will definitely have latex for cushioning.

This message was modified Jul 17, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #121 Jul 18, 2011 2:36 PM
Note: I realize you were asking especially about the Revolution king. My comments below are about the Genius queen size; however I too found reviews lacking when I was considering this purchase, so I offer this in the spirit of "every bit of information helps."

We recently bought the iComfort set at the Sears 4th of July sale. We looked at the Revolution, and we both liked it, but I found it a bit too squishy, so we went with the "Genius" in queen size, which we also both liked. From what I could tell reading the materials, the Genius lacks an additional top layer of foam present in the Revolution, but has an extra layer of stiffer structural foam inside to provide extra support. We've  had it about two weeks and couldn't be happier. There is enough of the memory foam on top to isolate motion and prevent any kind of "rolling to the center," which could be an issue with my old Sealy innerspring mattress.

No problems at all with heat. We do sleep with the a/c on (typically turned down to 75 F at night in the summer). If anything, the iComfort may be cooler than the old mattress. I've noticed especially the area down by our legs keeping that nice "cool sheets" feeling. It's so comfortable we both actually slept an unintentional extra hour (a Sunday) after the first night. I don't know if it's Serta's vaunted "cooling gel" doing its work, or if its simply the fact that the memory foam on top is not so soft and deep that it really "envelops" you. You lie on top of this mattress, but it does conform to your shape and isolate each sleeper from the motions of the other. She has back issues, and so far has found this mattress to be terrific.

I'd recommend the Genius model highly based on our experience so far (obviously I cannot report on durability at this point). I like a firm bed, and she likes a soft bed, and it seems a good compromise for both (she's as pleased as I am).  I think the push for increasingly "plush" mattresses has to be balanced with the reality that anything you really sink down into is going to retain heat by default. It's also nice to be able to sit on the edge of the bed without sinking down so far that you can't put on (or take off) a pair of shoes or what have you. In the store, I noticed that the Revolution was too squishy to allow this, while the Genius provided a nice supportive edge.

We love it.

Good luck.

Edit: Just saw all the comments regarding a strong odor with this mattress.  Ours has no odor at all. There was a slight smell when it was first delivered, which seemed to come from the plastic bag it came in, but it dissipated entirely within a few hours. The delivery guys advised us to air the mattress out before putting on the linens and we did. No problem. My SO is odor sensitive and can get headaches from powerful perfumes, etc., and she likewise noticed the faint "plastic bag" scent on delivery, and that it dissipated completely after a few hours. Just smelled "new" to us. We have two dogs who sleep in the master closet, and they've shown no hesitation in coming into the room as usual, although I think the little one's annoyed that the new mattress is taller than the old one, so she can barely get her paws up on the edge to pester us as she loves to do. 8)

This message was modified Jul 18, 2011 by OrlandoGenius
Reply #122 Jul 18, 2011 11:26 PM
needagoodsleep wrote:

My husband and I bought the iComfort insight bed, king size.  We had previously purchased a new bed about 4 years ago (i loved it, he hated it - traditional pillow top, individually wrapped coils, etc).  Anyways, he really liked this bed.  We both prefer something a bit firmer, i feel it's better as with a softer bed i get a sore back.

I've slept on it for 2 nights now.  The first night my DH said he slept like an angel.  I was undecided.  I just woke up from the second night and my  back HURTS.  i'm not sure if it's an adjustment period going from coil to memory foam or what? maybe it's too firm?  i know that for $1,600 i better love this damn bed.

i do get the 3 (4?) month trial period, but i a) can't get my old bed back and b) don't get my money back to go elsewhere - i'd still have to buy from this particular store.  and if what i like is cheaper, i do not get a refund of the difference, only store credit. 

so what is the proper length of time to give this bed a fair shot?  i shouldn't have hot/sore shoulders and same with my lower back, right?

thanks for any help you may have.  at this point i am regretting this purchase, but hopefully it will get better.

If you read my previous posts, my wife and I had similar issues.  We are 2 ex collegiate athletes who are still in good shape and this bed gave us aches as well.  We have since switched to the Vera Wang Natural Poise Super Pillow Top and I couldnt be happier.  We were stuck with buying a Serta/Vera Wang or Tempurpedic due to the comfort exchange as well.  We went with this bed with the hopes that it will remain as comfortable as it still is.  We got it around late April/early may and the bed is still great.  We have rotated it but you can see a bit of an impression starting to form as you will with all pillow tops.  The bed is still extremely comfortable and I have never owned a mattress I loved more than this one.  I can deal with the impressions as long as the comfort remains unnaffected.  Good Luck.

Reply #123 Jul 19, 2011 1:32 AM
OrlandoGenius wrote:

Edit: Just saw all the comments regarding a strong odor with this mattress.  Ours has no odor at all. There was a slight smell when it was first delivered, which seemed to come from the plastic bag it came in, but it dissipated entirely within a few hours. The delivery guys advised us to air the mattress out before putting on the linens and we did. No problem. My SO is odor sensitive and can get headaches from powerful perfumes, etc., and she likewise noticed the faint "plastic bag" scent on delivery, and that it dissipated completely after a few hours. Just smelled "new" to us. We have two dogs who sleep in the master closet, and they've shown no hesitation in coming into the room as usual, although I think the little one's annoyed that the new mattress is taller than the old one, so she can barely get her paws up on the edge to pester us as she loves to do. 8)

I found the exact same thing you found.  I stuck my nose right into the mattress and there was no strong smell.  And like you said, there was a faint odor lingering, but I could hardly tell it was there.

By contrast, 2 weeks prior I purchase a 2" memory foam topper from Sleep Innovations to try on my S&F set.  That topper definitely had the memory foam smell of death ... formaldehyde or whatever nasty chemicals were in that.  I only kept the thing a day, but it was stinking the next day when I packed it up.

So, again, no strong odor from the iComfort Revolution I received, and I was happy about that.

Reply #124 Jul 19, 2011 1:43 AM
needagoodsleep wrote:

It seems to be a bad sign that your back is hurting.  If it's from the bed, that's bad.  I really don't think you go through a period where your back hurts, then you adjust, then it's all good.  In the right bed, your back won't hurt at all.

You've probably already thought about this, but if you have an exchange option, it's good to have an exchange in mind even before buying the first bed, a plan B. 

If you do have to pick out another bed, don't be too shy to spend 1/2 hour laying on the top pick in the store.  I spent lots of time laying on the Revolution at a couple different stores. 

I think you can tell if your back is going to tweak by laying for a while in the store just the way you sleep.

One thing that is not discernible is heat buildup.  After all that time trying the Revolution, I never sensed it sleeps a little hotter than conventional beds.  Can only tell that at home in my opinion.

I've been curious for a couple months about memory foam beds. Now I've got one.

Reply #125 Jul 20, 2011 2:43 PM
I bought a queen size revolution with the adjustable base back in May and am so happy I did, it is the most comfortable bed ever. The Icomfort has a different type of foam and does not retain the heat like the tempurpedic does.  There was a very slight odor when they first unpacked it and they recommended opening a window for a bit. The slight odor was gone in no time. Best purchase ever!!
Reply #126 Jul 23, 2011 12:47 AM
I wanted to leave a quick post to share my experience.  My husband and I were sorely in need of a mattress - likely should have purchased a new one about 4-5 years ago but at that time a new baby put that idea on hold and a memory foam topper extended the life until recently and piqued our interest in a tempurpedic.  The plan was to purchase a new mattress after the holidays, but a "Christmas in July" sale prompted us to go in 'and just look'. 

So we went to look at the Tempurpedic and after laying on 4-5 mattresses we told the salesperson we wanted a night to sleep on it before we made the final decision.  I was a bit concerned about dropping about 2k on a quasi-impulse purchase.  That is when she mentioned the icomfort - she must have thought our concern was price.  (It wasn't so much, it is always a habit of mine to sleep on it before making any final decision with my hard earned money).  When she said this mattress was crafted in part to be cooler than the tempurpedic our decision was pretty much made.  My husband sleeps hot and if he is hot he doesn't sleep - which means I don't sleep.  We did go home and talk it over and ended up purchasing the Revolution which if I remember correctly was also less expensive than most if not all of the tempurpedic models we were considering.

First off - absolutely no smell.  Very faint 'new' smell I think from the plastic and that went away in minutes.  The guys from the store came in, removed the old mattress quickly and set up the new queen sized frame, split boxspring (we have a older house with narrow hallways) and mattress.  We bought a water-proof mattress cover as recommended in this thread.  It was expensive IMO (about $100 bucks) but small price to pay for a long-term investment.

From the first night my husband slept soundly and I have not heard him snore ever since.  He has LOVED the mattress since the first night.  I however took about a week before I slept through the night. I sunk into the bed a bit and didn't turn and move during the night quite as smoothly as I did on our old mattress. The first two mornings I didn't feel sleepy but I didn't feel quite refreshed either after waking every 2-3 hours during the night.  My back didn't feel quite right either - not quite sore, but almost as if I had a work out with my back muscles.  But each night and morning this got exponentially better and by the end of the week I pretty much slept through the night (with the exception of a middle of the night run to the bathroom) and woke up feeling refreshed.

Here is the most exceptional thing.  I admittedly had poor posture before our purchase.  I tended to slouch in my chair or when standing - it took a conscious effort to stand straight and tall.  My mid and upper back usually ached by the end of the day.  I no longer have these problems - I stand up straight with no effort and my back feels great from morning to night.  I actually catch myself with good posture and say to myself 'wow - I was just doing that and not even thinking about it.'  I suspect I'm getting the support I need and those "aches" were actually my back getting used to my proper alignment at night.

So that wasn't such a quick post after all!!  I hope you found it helpful though.  Bottom line - we're very happy with the icomfort Revolution.

Two more things to add.  #1: we have had the mattress since July 5th.  #2: My husband is 5"8' 210 and I'm 5"4' 245.

This message was modified Jul 23, 2011 by decisions
Reply #127 Jul 23, 2011 10:54 AM
thanks velvet and thanks decisions for confirming no smell on the new mattress - same here, no smell on my Revolution either, something faint, but went away quickly.

I'm still figuring my Revolution out since it is so different than a conventional bed.  I'm 6'2" 195 lbs, had the bed since July 13th, '11.

Recent Posts