Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #98 Jun 16, 2011 10:21 PM
Been lurking for the last couple of weeks.  I found this thread after ordering the icomfort mattress just from simple laying down in the store with my fiance and we both agreed this bed was super comfy.  We also ordered a crate and barrel frame with their bunkie board that hoals the memory foams mattress.  

So they delivered the queen sized mattress first, and I told her sleep on this bed asap as we just paid a lot of money for this thing.  She did and she fell right asleep.  I did as well and wow I knocked out.  We also bought 2 queen size rejuventation pillows and those are amazing.  BTW I am 32, 6'4" 235lbs and she is 30, 4'11" and tiny.  So we are polar opposites in size and both really liked this bed.  So the second night we both realized this was the first time we weren't taking sleeping pills to fall asleep.  My biggest problem with the bed is I have never had a good night sleep and it was easy to work obscene amounts of hours since I didn't want to sleep.  But now that has all changed.  I actually can sleep!!

To address some issues from this thread, the bed did not smell ever.  Also the bed hasn't indented or anything like that yet, especially on my side since I am bigger.  The bed also does not get hot, I know my old neighbors, mid 80's, complained about this with their tempurpedic bed.  Also we only ordered the mattress which came out to be around $1100 with free shipping.  And the 2 pillows were $100 for 2.

I know we are both very happy with the bed.

Reply #99 Jun 18, 2011 9:31 PM
I honestly don't believe it was a defective unit. I think because this is such a new item there are inconsistencies in the product. Based on everything I have read on the internet and talking to people, I have found that am not the only person to experience this. If you go back in the forum there are people whose iComfort became exceptionally soft to the point where they were sinking into the bed. Also, on this site and another forum I found several people with the same problem as me, the bed being painfully hard. I had them take away the bed but I refused to have it replaced. I would never go through that again. 
This message was modified Jun 30, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #100 Jun 21, 2011 12:30 AM
I have an update on the Icomfort Revolution  for everyone as promised. Again, these are just my personal opinions based on my sleeping tastes. Everyone is different and I'm trying to provide as unbiased an opinion as I can to help other people out who are on the mattress hunt.

Sooo.... I got the mattress delivered. I was so afraid it was going to be rock hard, especially after the sales guy told me that there was a break in period and it would be harder initially. The good news is it was just as comfortable as in the show room. I feel bad for people who got this mattress and it was rock hard. Maybe there is a quality issue. All I know is I took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon the day after it was delivered and slept like a rock!! I am a 15+ year insomniac and my latest sleeping pill drug of choice is ambien. Still don't sleep good. This mattress takes away all my SI joint pain. Especially since I am a 95% side sleeper. The first time could of been a fluke since I was really tired, so I slept on it the second night after being rested thinking, okay, now the other shoe is going to drop and I'm going to hate it. Again, popped the sleeping pill and slept all night without waking once.

Enough of that. I'll describe the bed the best I can to try and help others. It's supportive just like tempurpedic with a couple of differences. You don't have that sinking feeling with this mattress as your body heat warms up the foam like you do with tempurpedic. I will also agree with the recent poster that this beds stays very cool!! My last mattress was a Glideaway memory foam mattress that is only three years old. I bought it new and now it has a dip in it and hurts my lower back. The Glideaway in my opinion sleeps fairly similar to a tempurpedic and I am always sweating on that bed, especially in the summer time. Even with central air conditioning set at 70 degrees. (I live in MInneosta) No sweating on the Icomfort bed so far. The Icomfort acts and kinda looks like a innerspring mattress but with the pressure relief of a memory foam, minus the stiff foam and heat.

Don't know how it will hold up over time. It may end up getting a dip in it. I would be happy with 4 great years out of this mattress. The last two days I have had little to no lower or upper back pain. Normally I wake up in the morning with SI joint pain. I haven't had any back pain for two entire days now.

The only thing that scares me is this mattress isn't proven, especially the supposed new design or technology. If it relieves my back pain I don't care what's in it!!

The cover on this mattress is very nice and has an almost 3D fabric stiching in it. It's really wierd, but I can feel the fabric slightly through my sheets and the facric makes the mattress more comforatable for some reason. Maybe it's in my mind.

Final thing, my sister is having a 3 level spinal fusion on friday and has the great joy of a 3 month recovery. She tried my bed the the day they delivered it and loved it. She bought the Icomfort Revolution bed as well and is having it delivered tomorrow. I'll post in the coming weeks and let everyone know what she thinks of it, especially with all the pain she will be in. I'll also let everyone know if the bed starts to get soft. I weight 200lbs, so if that if going to be an issue, I would think I will experience it sooner than some people.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks!!

Reply #101 Jun 22, 2011 1:27 PM
I researched foam mattresses pretty thoughly before I went with the icomfort King Genius.  I really like the mattress after about a month but have to say that I've never had the sweats so much as I do with the mattress. I tried it without the mattress pad  protector/cover  and still it seems to get me overheated.  I'm in very good physical condition and would probably sleep throuhgh the night if it weren't for the hot spots.  I'm going to call Serta and ask about this maybe it's defective.   I hope it can be remedied as I really like the bed otherwise- comfort, style and craftmanship and of course lkess expensive than the Temperpedic line. 
Reply #102 Jun 27, 2011 10:22 AM
Just another update on my experience with my new Icomfort Revolution queen mattress. I have slept on the bed two more nights after my last post and now I am getting uncomfortable lower back pain in my SI joints. I couldn't sleep at all the third night and when I tried to lay down the fourth night it seemed like where I have been sleeping in the center of the bed the foam has softened a little bit and my hips are sinking down more. It may just be my imagination as I have been having lower back pain lately that may or may not be related to the bed. I'm not sure yet, I will have to give it more time. When I lay on the edges of the bed though, it is still supportive and my SI joints stop hurting immediately. I know this is a foam bed and the foam is supposed to break in and be a little softer and as I sleep in the middle of a queen it would make sense that the edges wouldn't break in so maybe that is why the edges are still firm.

The bed is still comfortably cool when I sleep on it being neither too hot or too cool. I still like the 3d raised fabric on the bed as it feels very comforting. On  a side not, I got the lower profile box spring and I don't have a sleigh bed. Kinda wish I would have gotten the high profile as my bed is only sitting on rails and the bed is lower to the ground now then I am used to. Something to think about for those of you considering this bed and wondering which box frame to choose.(The high and low profile frames are both the same price)

Anyway, I will sleep on the bed for another couple days in a row and post my impressions. I have read and heard that a lot of people who switch to a new mattress can experience back pain because their new bed is correcting their alignment from sleeping on a bad or broken down bed. Don't know how true that is but coming from a Glideaway memory foam bed that has a rut in the middle after sleeping on it for 3 years, that could totally be true.

I'll keep everyone posted

Reply #103 Jun 30, 2011 7:11 PM
Hello,

I'd like to put in a request for anyone to give more feedback on the iComfort beds that you are using, particularly the Revolution.  Reason I ask is I am in a 30 day period using my Stearns and Foster from Sears.  It is a good bed, but there is a little more pressure on my shoulders than I would care for.  It is a Plush.  I'm a side sleeper and I naturally turn from my left to my right shoulder which ain't what it used to be due to an injury and surgery years ago (ok, in 1990).

I've tried the Revolution numerious times in the store and it is certainly more plush than my S&F bed.  It gives less pressure on my shoulder and hips too.  It feels good in the store, but as always, no way to tell without bringing it home.  I could use up my one free exchange and pay the upcharge to get it.  If things didn't go well with the Revolution, I'd lose 15% restocking charge and pickup fee, about $300 I think.

I'd like to hear how your iComfort beds are working out for you, espeically as compared to other brands like Tempurpedic.

I'm currently trying a 2" Sleep Innovations memory foam topper on top of my Plush bed starting tonight, but I don't have high hopes after taking a short nap on it.  anyrate,

Thanks.

Reply #104 Jul 2, 2011 6:00 PM
We are shopping for good matterss for my husand's back pain.  Right now we are thinking either Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme or Serta I comfort Revolution.

Both these mattresses seem very comfortable.  Somehow salesperson scared us that Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme sleeps warmer.

We are very confused about our decision.  Any feedback is appreciated on these mattresses.

Thanks

Reply #105 Jul 2, 2011 6:19 PM
sandy wrote:

We are shopping for good matterss for my husand's back pain.  Right now we are thinking either Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme or Serta I comfort Revolution.

Both these mattresses seem very comfortable.  Somehow salesperson scared us that Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme sleeps warmer.

We are very confused about our decision.  Any feedback is appreciated on these mattresses.

Thanks

There's a new review of Icomfort posted today. If you use the search box on these terms on this forum, you'll find plenty of discussion of both beds, pros and cons.

Good luck

Reply #106 Jul 4, 2011 9:01 PM
I just started an exchange process at Sears to move to an iComfort Revolution with the standard box spring.  I had a Stearns and Foster delivered June 17th from Sears, it's an entry level S&F called 'Hearthston', non pillow top, Plush.  It's a good bed for sure, but I have a right shoulder that will never be quite the same (old injury/surgery).  And I'm a side sleeper.  If it wasn't for this, I probably would keep the S&F.

I became interested in memory foam due to the reported extra pressure relieving properties and I might get a motion adjustable base in a year or two to facilitate back sleeping (that would be better for my shoulder).

I probably won't get the Revolution delivered until June 12th.  I have laid on it a heck of a lot at Sears, both a twin xl and a queen.  The revolution is very plush and it seems to give me enough support in the store.  The real test will be here at home.

I'll keep you posted.

Reply #107 Jul 5, 2011 6:59 AM
Hi there again!! Just posting another update on my experiences so far with the Icomfort Revoultion bed in a queen size. I don't know what to think now. The first two nights were great, the two nights after that were horrible, and I am still having back pain on this bed. BUT...... I think my back is out right now; going to the chiropractor today. I have been taking care of my sister who just had a 3 level spinal fusion on her back and is recovering. She also has this bed and bought it about 4 days after I did. She ABSOLUTELY loves her bed and says she could tell after the first nights sleep how much more comfortable and supportive it was on her back, and this is post surgery. But she has slept in hers more than me at this point as I have been sleeping at the hospital for a week taking care of her and also sleeping on hard beds at her house for another week or so

. She weighs 135.bs, where I weigh 210 lbs or so, so maybe that also has something to do with the breaking in of the bed. Her bed has no squishy spots in it and is very supportive on your lower back, especially for your SI joints. I laid on it for about an hour and a half yesterday and if felt great. My back pain actually started to go away as I laid on my side on her bed. Her bed feels harder and more firm, even then the floor model was that I tried at the store. (I actually prefer softer cushier beds myself, not firmer ones as they hurt my upper back then) My bed by comparison seems more soft everywhere ,especially where I sleep which is in the middle of the bed. I  am very confused now, as I am not getting a lot of sleep from the care taking, and sleeping in different beds, and my back is constantly hurting now even when I sleep on the Icomfort bed. I think I need to give this bed more time and get some more chiropractic adjustments first.

As for my opnion on it being forgiving and soft enough for your upper body, namely your shoulders sinking into the bed when you are sleeping on your side, I find that very comfortable. I am 90% to 95% a side sleeper and I roll around from side to side all night and this bed is very soft, supportive, and comforting on my upper back. My lower back is another story and not sure if it's me and my back is out, or if it's the bed and I maybe got a dud. The bed still sleeps very comfortable neither being too hot nor too cold. Just perfect. I still like everything about this bed and if I could trade mine for my sisters I would be a happy camper as hers is plenty supportive and almost needs to be broken in a little more. By the way, I didn't try and break my bed in at all. Like walking around on it to make the foam softer which is what a lot of people do with tempurpedics. Going to ask my chiropractor today if it is normal to get back pain when getting used to a new bed. I guess I want to hear it from a doctor and not just some sales person.

As for the Tempurpedic Classic, do I regret trading that bed in for this bed?? Maybe, not sure yet. All I know is the Tempurpedic Classic was like sleeping on a rock and I have rarely ever had upper back pain and muscle stiffness that bad after having slept on that bed for only 4 or 5 days. On an interesting side note, when I went to trade in my Tempurpedic Classic for the Icomfort Revolution, I did think about buying the Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed which is a way cushier bed in the Tempurpedic line and one of their most popular along with the Cloud. My store has a clearance center and all of the trial beds through Tempurpedic that customers return to exchange for something else, they re-sell them at a fairly decent discounted rate. (I guess it's legal in my state to do that??) The Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed which I tried had been on a 90 trial and was returned and what I found really interesting is that it had a small rut in it already after only 90 days. The bed didn't look totally flat, so I layed a long flat box across the bed(because I didn't have a measuring stick) when the salesguy wasn't around, and there was already a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch impression or dip in the mattress. This was after I hadn't sat on the mattress for a good 10 minutes. That is what I worried about in buying one of the higher end tempurpedic beds that are super soft on cushy. Not sure about the longevity of them resisting permanent body impressions, even though Tempurpedic is such a proven brand.

Sorry, another long email again. Burning the midnight oil taking care of my sister. Will post again in a couple of days after some chiropractic care as well as a few more nights on the bed.

Moonshine

Recent Posts