Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #65 Jun 2, 2011 1:37 PM
First I would like to disclose that I am a mattress store owner since 8 years back. I am currently running just one store which I also am acting like the sales person in. I sell or have sold brands like Hastens, Tempur-pedic, Comfor-pedic (before Simmons Bought them out), Serta, Spring Air, Englander, Simmons, Sealy, Sterns & Foster, Natura, NexGel, Corsicana, Symbol, Kaymed. 

I would like to give you my opinion on the mattress industry as well as on the Icomfort product...

1. Density of foam is a measurement of quality in most cases but not always. There are fillers that will make a foam denser but not necessary a higher quality.

2. memory foam/visco foam/tempur-material are all sleeping warmer because they are dense, they compress under weight and they trap the body heat of the sleeper inside of the foam. A mattress needs to be breathable to sleep cooler. The only thing that will help foam sleep cooler is to make it breathable. When infusing gel into the memory foam I can not see that this would make it sleep any cooler. But Serta has figured out a way to use the word and material Gel in their marketing! Gel sounds "Cool" but it's not! When gel is made with big air pockets it sleeps cooler. Kaymed, Nexgel and Intelliegel are the only ones that I am aware of right now that uses "real gel" in their mattresses. I know for a fact that the NexGel beds sleep way cooler than Tempur-pedic mattresses. How do I know this? Because some of my customers that complain about sleeping hot on Tempur-pedic has swapped to a Nexgel mattress and now don't complain about sleeping 'Hot"!

3. The mattress industry is filled with a bunch of ( I call them mattress-prostitutes). Their main goal is to make as much money as possible and tell a story with their product as opposed to making a 'Quality product' and making truthful claims about it. I see consumers all the time fall for slick sales stories! But guess what!? a story is not going to help once you got the mattress in your house and none of the claims made are true.. But at this time the mattress store has your money and you are stuck with a mattress that doesn't live up to your expectations!

4. Comfort Guarantees of mattresses; so many stores offer these guarantess!! If you buy a mattress from such a store there is a risk that you might also end up buying a slightly used mattress.The only mattress manufacturer to my knowledge that takes back mattresses are Tempur-pedic. Any other brand of mattress that is being taken back is most likely going to be resold!!

5. All foams soften up if/when compressed under weight! Some take deeper indentions than others. Latex softens up but holds it's shape fairly well. Good quality memory foam and Tempur-material softens up but holds it's shape very well. Polyfoams are less durable especially the quality being used in most regular innerspring mattresses today..(No matter which manufacturer). Polyfoam could be made to hold up but would cost more and therefor the manufacturers are "pricing their beds out of the competition" When people starts to vote by buying quality products (that cost more) instead of always looking for the cheapest, that's when manufacturers will be forced to change what they make and produce better quality.

6. No one mentions the box-spring or the foundation being used in mattresses today... Most are really poor quality and can and will make a difference in how well a mattress holds up! Guess why Tempur-pedic has switched to a solid surface on all their Foundations!? To keep them from squeaking is one reason but also to keep their mattresses look nad feel flat! Most other brands put their memoryfoam, latex foam mattresses on a "Semiflex boxspring" this is only going to make the mattress look like it's sagging in the middle or on either side if  it's a king size mattress.

I would also like to point out that Dan's posts that I have been reading under this thread seem very honest and to the point. If you choose not to believe what I have said or what he has pointed out that's your choice/loss.

I am in the business to make money but I am not in the business to trick or fool people with lies! I feel that I have the experience and knowledge to help people on this site and in my store. I hope that some of what I posted here will be helpful to some before they spend their hard earned money on some marketing gimmick!

Reply #66 Jun 2, 2011 6:28 PM
if your not poor and humble, then whats the point? - Terence Mckenna
Hey we gotta dan fan here.   He never did show me any links for his claims, and quite frankly it diddn't make any sense that he was bashing his own product. ( if thats even true what he said about working for a major foam manufacturer).   So you sell or sold serta right?  Are you selling any icomforts at your store.  I want real reviews and not ones that are biased from people who probably sell the other foam beds. Sorry but i have to comment if my bs meter goes off
Reply #67 Jun 2, 2011 6:54 PM
daydreamer01 wrote:

Hey we gotta dan fan here.   He never did show me any links for his claims, and quite frankly it diddn't make any sense that he was bashing his own product. ( if thats even true what he said about working for a major foam manufacturer).   So you sell or sold serta right?  Are you selling any icomforts at your store.  I want real reviews and not ones that are biased from people who probably sell the other foam beds. Sorry but i have to comment if my bs meter goes off

@Daydreamer-  Can you explain why my Icomfort Insight broke down after 30 days.  Even the salesperson who took the return stated he could not believe how you just sank straight in with NO resistance at all anymore.  There was no support provided on my side of the bed anymore after 30 days at all, to me that is concerning.  I understand you have a hard on for the mattress, but we are honest people giving our opionion on a mattress.  There is no reason to attack anyone.  We merely are providing our experience to other possible buyers.  I am not saying it is a horrible mattress, its just that there may be quality concerns due to longevity of the mattress itself.  I know for a FACT this mattress broke down COMPLETELY in 30 days. No questions about it.

Reply #68 Jun 2, 2011 6:55 PM
Thanks for the valuable information. I am generally glad to read the contribution to this forum, from most all sources, and have the opportunity to hear them out and make a more informed decision. That's why we're here, I suspect, and although we all have a b.s. meter of some sort another, not all bs meters are calibrated the same!
Reply #69 Jun 2, 2011 7:59 PM
First, thanks to everyone for insightful posts, it really helped in shopping.  I will tell you my shopping experience for the iComfort as candidly as possible.

I had an iComfort Insight twin XL on order from Sears from Mon. 5/30/11, but cancelled the order today.  It was to be delivered 2 days from now. At Sears, they had an Insight and Genius both twin XL and a Revolution Queen on display.  Sitting and pushing on the Insight repeatedly, I noticed a little variance in the 'give' of the mattress - at the feet area, it was firmer, in the hips area, there was a little more sink when pushing into the mattress.  Also, when I sat up on the mattress in the middle 'Indian style' on bed, it sunk down a bit, sort of like being in a hole.  When I pressed all around the Revolution mattress, the feel was much more even from head to toe.  ..  Insight felt alright to lay on, but after reading Pete's (?) and Astinia's (sp?) posts, I decided I'm not in the mood to experiment.

I found out Sears used to carry a memory foam mattress by Sealy (Embody?) last year, but now they have the iComfort.  It just seems like a revolving door to keep a few memory foam mattress on the floor from different companies, like 5 foam mattress and 25 innerspring ones.

I did a google search on subject 'are memory foam mattresses toxic' and a number of pages come up talking about how memory foam is petroleum based and has many chemicals in it.  Reading about VOC's, off-gassing and all is a turn off.  I know S brand innersrpings will do that too, but I doubt as much as a memory foam one. I bought a mattress with 3" memory foam topper 3 weeks ago, and the memory foam smelled awful for days. 

That Insight mattress was mfrd 3/31/11 and had some variance in feel.  I've been looking at and ordered an S&F entry level plush tight top where the floor model mfrg. tag was June 2009 and the feel is very even in different areas of the mattress.  I look forward to getting my new one in 8 days and getting off the couch (never let small outfit take your old mattress if you don't see yourself sticking with them on an exchange : | )

This message was modified Jun 4, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #70 Jun 2, 2011 8:09 PM
slpngoc wrote:

First, thanks to everyone for insightful posts, it really helped in shopping.  I will tell you my shopping experience for the iComfort as candidly as possible.

I had an iComfort Insight twin XL on order from Sears from Mon. 5/30/11, but cancelled the order today.  It was to be delivered 2 days from now. At Sears, they had an Insight and Genius both twin XL and a Revolution Queen on display.  Sitting and pushing on the Insight repeatedly, I definitely noticed a big variance in the 'give' of the mattress - at the feet area, it was firmer, in the hips area, there was quite a bit more sink when pushing into the mattress.  Also, when I sat up on the mattress in the middle 'Indian style' on bed, it sunk down quite a bit, kind of like being in a hole.  When I pressed all around the Revolution mattress, the feel was much more even from head to toe.  The Genius also had more sink in the hips area, but firmer in feet and head area..  Insight felt alright to lay on, but after reading Pete's (?) and Astinia's (sp?) posts, I decided I'm not in the mood to experiment.

I found out Sears used to carry a memory foam mattress by Sealy (Embody?) last year, but now they have the iComfort.  It just seems like a revolving door to keep a few memory foam mattress on the floor from different companies, like 5 foam mattress and 25 innerspring ones.

I did a google search on subject 'are memory foam mattresses toxic' and a number of pages come up talking about how memory foam is petroleum based and has many chemicals in it.  Reading about VOC's, off-gassing and all is a turn off.  I know S brand innersrpings will do that too, but I doubt as much as a memory foam one. I bought a mattress with 3" memory foam topper 3 weeks ago, and the memory foam smelled awful for days. 

That Insight mattress was mfrd 3/31/11 and the variance in feel was big.  I've been looking at and ordered an S&F entry level plush tight top whose tag says is 2 years and the feel is very even in different areas of the mattress.  I look forward to getting it in 8 days and getting off the couch (never let small outfit take your old mattress if you don't see yourself sticking with them on an exchange : | )

Glad I could help.  Like I said I am not trying to get people to not try out the Icomfort, just giving my first hand experience.  I am a bigger than average guy being 6'6 240lbs, but still am a slender guy.  What would happen if say a 5'10 250lbs person used the bed, would it happen worse as there is more confined weight?  Just wanted to let people know what happened so they do not have to go through exchanges like I did.  Best of luck to you.  I did make two reviews on here as well today to review both mattresses I have had now.

Reply #71 Jun 2, 2011 8:48 PM
I also appreciate all the info in this thread...it is certainly turning out to be the most informative source of iComfort info on the web. I was just about to buy the Insight today when I got an INCREDIBLE offer from another local furniture store competing for my business. I definitely need some advice on this situation:

Essentially, I can either buy a full-size iComfort Insight with a free mattress protector and two free iComfort or Tempurpedic Symphony pillows for about $1,170 with tax, OR I can buy a full-sized Tempurpedic Classic mattress with a free mattress protector and two free Tempurpedic neck pillows for $1,050. The Tempurpedic bed is a recent return from someone who bought the wrong size bed. I'm definitely thinking the Tempurpedic is the better deal and when I tried the Tempurpedic Classic mattress earlier today, it felt a bit more dense and firmer than the iComfort Insight.

From what I gather, the Serta is a new mattress and there obviously aren't a lot of long-term reviews on the iComfort. However, although the Tempurpedic warranty is 20 years compared with the 25 years on the iComfort, the Tempurpedic has excellent long-term reviews and is a well-known company. In light of this new offer on the Tempurpedic, I'm definitely swayed towards jumping on the Tempurpedic offer. What do you guys think?

Reply #72 Jun 2, 2011 9:10 PM
If I were you, I would buy the Tempurpedic.  They are a known quantity.
Reply #73 Jun 2, 2011 9:54 PM
phreaky_d wrote:

I also appreciate all the info in this thread...it is certainly turning out to be the most informative source of iComfort info on the web. I was just about to buy the Insight today when I got an INCREDIBLE offer from another local furniture store competing for my business. I definitely need some advice on this situation:

Essentially, I can either buy a full-size iComfort Insight with a free mattress protector and two free iComfort or Tempurpedic Symphony pillows for about $1,170 with tax, OR I can buy a full-sized Tempurpedic Classic mattress with a free mattress protector and two free Tempurpedic neck pillows for $1,050. The Tempurpedic bed is a recent return from someone who bought the wrong size bed. I'm definitely thinking the Tempurpedic is the better deal and when I tried the Tempurpedic Classic mattress earlier today, it felt a bit more dense and firmer than the iComfort Insight.

From what I gather, the Serta is a new mattress and there obviously aren't a lot of long-term reviews on the iComfort. However, although the Tempurpedic warranty is 20 years compared with the 25 years on the iComfort, the Tempurpedic has excellent long-term reviews and is a well-known company. In light of this new offer on the Tempurpedic, I'm definitely swayed towards jumping on the Tempurpedic offer. What do you guys think?

The 20 or 25 year warranty should be a non-factor.  Who would keep a mattress that long anyway? Like the other said, TempurP is a known item that has been around.  iComfort has 2 measly months on the market and a couple or three bad reviews already.  Not to be  jerk, but you may want to look into the issue of materials / chemicals and claimed toxicity with memory foam mattresses and decide whether you believe that or not. 

Reply #74 Jun 2, 2011 10:26 PM
slpngoc wrote:

The 20 or 25 year warranty should be a non-factor.  Who would keep a mattress that long anyway? 

Took the words right out of my mouth. 25 years.......come on.......really? Sounds like bait to me.

Recent Posts