Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #75 Jun 3, 2011 2:35 AM
petes67bird wrote:

@Daydreamer-  Can you explain why my Icomfort Insight broke down after 30 days.  Even the salesperson who took the return stated he could not believe how you just sank straight in with NO resistance at all anymore.  There was no support provided on my side of the bed anymore after 30 days at all, to me that is concerning.  I understand you have a hard on for the mattress, but we are honest people giving our opionion on a mattress.  There is no reason to attack anyone.  We merely are providing our experience to other possible buyers.  I am not saying it is a horrible mattress, its just that there may be quality concerns due to longevity of the mattress itself.  I know for a FACT this mattress broke down COMPLETELY in 30 days. No questions about it.

Out of curiosity pete67, how exactly does a memory foam mattress "break down" after 30 days?  Are you saying it no longer conforms to your body and weight? It just sinks in deeper on one side than the other? How deep was the indentation/depression on the mattress after you got up? Please explain. I just bought an Insight which I was very excited about until now. It gets delivered on Saturday so this is obviously a big concern. It felt awesome in the store and I was even comparing it to a Tempur Classic and Cloud. Perhaps you just happened to get a factory reject.

Also how did the return go? Did you have to pay a 20% restocking fee for an exchange/return? From what I understand, most memory foam mattress manufacturers require there to be at least a 3/4" depression on the bed after you get up for the full warranty to be honored. 

This message was modified Jun 3, 2011 by jblo
Reply #76 Jun 3, 2011 4:24 AM
jblo wrote:

Out of curiosity pete67, how exactly does a memory foam mattress "break down" after 30 days?  Are you saying it no longer conforms to your body and weight? It just sinks in deeper on one side than the other? How deep was the indentation/depression on the mattress after you got up? Please explain. I just bought an Insight which I was very excited about until now. It gets delivered on Saturday so this is obviously a big concern. It felt awesome in the store and I was even comparing it to a Tempur Classic and Cloud. Perhaps you just happened to get a factory reject.

Also how did the return go? Did you have to pay a 20% restocking fee for an exchange/return? From what I understand, most memory foam mattress manufacturers require there to be at least a 3/4" depression on the bed after you get up for the full warranty to be honored. 

Hi Jblo-

You know how when you lay in the bed, there is a contouring effect that occurs that shapes to your body, where it sort of molds to your shape?  Well after about 30 days, when you layed or sat on my side of the bed, you would just sink straight in, no resilency at all left in the middle of the mattress on my side of the bed.  If you even pushed down with your hand, it would just be extremely easy to push down in that location, but when you went to my wifes side, it was nice and firm and still contoured and had resilency.  When I originally went back to the store to tell the salesperson, they couldnt believe it. Their reaction was, thats impossible.

After discussing with the salesperson, the mattress had a 120 night trial, so I used the comfort gurantee and only had to pay 49.00 for shipping on the exchange, plus the difference in the price of the upgraded mattress.  Be sure to check with your store that they will honor the 120 night comfort guarantee.  Well back to what I was saying, when they came with my exchange, they wanted to see firsthand what I was talking about as they couldnt believe it.  The guy went first and sat on my wife's side of the bed, it slowly sank in and conformed to his body as he sat and went to lay down.  Then he came to my side of the bed, sat down and sunk straight in.  The look on the guy's face was priceless, like whoa.  He then preceded to lay down and even stated its just like a hammock, the butt sank so far in and the head/legs felt as though they were elevated. It always rebounded to the original shape, just lost the firmness of the mattress itself to a sort of mush. He thought it was just a defect and tried to get us to exchange it for the identical mattress.

We werent fond of the mattress as well  due to being sensitive to the odor it omitted along with the possible short life span of a replacement mattress.  My rottweiler was also sensitive to the odor and really didnt want to be near it.  He slept with us on our old bed, and on our new Vera Wang, but he wouldnt sleep or lay on the Icomfort.  That says alot if a dog wouldnt lay on the bed  and both my wife and I decided that maybe the dog could sense something far worse than we could.  I wouldnt be too concerned with the mattress as every mattress will have "lemons" or issues with workmanship.  Even cars do.  I would just be sure before they deliver it that you find out how to take advantage of the 120 night guarantee and what any costs would be if you chose to pursue that guarantee.  Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask me.  

This message was modified Jun 3, 2011 by petes67bird
Reply #77 Jun 3, 2011 5:57 AM

Petes67 – Thanks for all the great insight and my apologies for you having to retype your whole ordeal with the Insight’s sinkage/mushiness factor. (Turns out I was viewing only a fraction of this thread and didn’t initially see the “Show All” link). Anyway, in general with these forums often times there will be people pushing some kind of agenda, but you and a few other contributors on here seem very genuine with your experiences, opinions, and advice so I appreciate that.

Sounds like you did get a ‘lemon’.  I can see how such extensive sinking in one area of the bed where your butt lies would be uncomfortable. But my confusion lies in the fact that the others (Sleepright and Astinia) found it unacceptable for the exact opposite reason – it was uncomfortably TOO firm for them with no softening up whatsoever. And Marmitenot thought it was initially too firm but after adding a featherbed topper was very satisfied. I’m curious how my body would react to it. I’m 6’ tall, 190 lbs. 34 years old and very active in sports/working out so I value good sleep for recovery and my hope in getting a memory foam mattress in the first place was that it would provide that firm yet conforming support.  As for the odor that was initially the least of my concerns, but after you describe the intensity, it sounds like it could be an issue.  

The bed doesn’t get delivered till Saturday. The place I bought it from requires you to sleep in it for 14 days before exchange/return. They offer a 120 day trial too, BUT a 20% handling fee will be charged on all “comfort exchanges” PLUS a local $75 pickup and re-delivery fee – that’s $340 if I do an exchange!   Seems ridiculous. What would you recommend? The bed hasn’t been delivered yet so there’s still time to cancel and put in an order for another one. The Tempurpedic Cloud was my runner-up…but it’s another $500 more than the Insight which is way more than I wanted to spend. Would you suggest I take a risk and give the Insight a shot or drop significantly more coin and go with the trusted Tempurpedic name?

Reply #78 Jun 3, 2011 1:17 PM
$340 for an exchange.......WOW!!! There's a guarantee alright....... a guanrantee they will get paid no matter what.
Reply #79 Jun 3, 2011 2:01 PM
Daydreamer01,

I sold Serta. I do not sell that brand right now. So you can think what you want about what I wrote. I am trying to help people make a better decision. I am not making a dime off of these people that are shopping for mattresses here and I don;'t have any loyalty to any brand since most of them has screwed me over in one way or another at some point (hence their name "mattress prostitutes") . In my store I look for products that is going to be the best value, quality and comfort for your money! Trust me I make mistakes sometimes and I pay for it by having unhappy customers when I do. But you should know that I live in a small town and I wan't to feel good about meeting old customers out on town knowing that I treated them right and got them the best for their money. So I am striving to do the best I can.

I am simply trying to get people to understand that memory foam wether it's infused with gel or not will sleep hot/warmer! As far as the quality of the foam being used in Serta Icomfort; only time will tell. All foams including memory foam softens up though! One poster says his Icomfort softened up extremely fast, doesn't surprise me. This was one of the reasons for why I stopped selling Serta products. Their memoryfoam would soften up too fast and I was taking back mattress after mattress with this problem. Hopefully their foam quality is better today than it was then.

If a memory foam for some reason would sleep cooler than another type of memory foam it's because of an open cell structure were the cells are bigger. Bigger open cells would also soften up quicker! The complaint of Tempur-pedics being too hard when first set up in customers house is common. Tempur material do soften but it doesn't turn to mush, this is because there is a small open cell structure, this is also why they sleep warmer/hot. I would also recommend people to think hard before buying the Tempur-pedic Cloud beds since these beds actually has a lower density/softer material in the top of them. This means that an already soft material will soften more with time. Mush!? Maybe, we shall see..

I am not her to bash any brand as I could truly bash all of them if I wanted to. There are always going to be good and bad things about mattresses being made. The most important thing is for customers to simply realize when a sales pitch and story is just that and nothing else!

Write down a list of what you want in a mattress and then put priority on what's more important before you go shopping. Ask many different stores about their product and hopefully you can see the difference between someone giving you BS or the truth. 

For the person that was choosing between a copy brand memory foam mattress and a Tempur-pedic.. The answer is easy, go with Tempur-pedic. Tempur foundations is much better than any of the copy brands foundations. Also the foam in Tempur beds have a track record of holding up. In the 7 years I have sold Tempur-pedic I have had very few complaints about their foam not holding up. 

Hope this helps!

Reply #80 Jun 3, 2011 4:32 PM
need2sleep636 wrote:

$340 for an exchange.......WOW!!! There's a guarantee alright....... a guanrantee they will get paid no matter what.

The store told me that the fee is applied due to a California health law that gaurantees that an even slightly used mattress won't get re-stocked for sale. I guess this money helps offset the store having to eat the entire cost of an exchange for a bed that can't be resold. I don't know if I'm being sold a line of BS, but I think it's out-of-control - it should be on the store to guarantee quality/comfort at least for the initial trial period.  If there's anyone on this post from Cali that has found a retailer that doesn't assess this huge 20% handling charge for a "comfort exchange" please let me know the name of the store!  Thanks much. 

Reply #81 Jun 3, 2011 6:32 PM
@Jblo-  I live in the Chicago area so I cannot say what laws there are on returned mattresses.  All I know is I made sure what would happen if we took advantage of the comfort guarantee.  I just cannot believe that a store can charge you a restocking fee when they are offering 120night guarantee which should not cost you a penny if you dont like it other than the delivery of a new mattress. I would call other stores and ask their policy on the matter in California.  Good luck.
Reply #82 Jun 3, 2011 7:13 PM
petes67bird wrote:

@Jblo-  I live in the Chicago area so I cannot say what laws there are on returned mattresses.  All I know is I made sure what would happen if we took advantage of the comfort guarantee.  I just cannot believe that a store can charge you a restocking fee when they are offering 120night guarantee which should not cost you a penny if you dont like it other than the delivery of a new mattress. I would call other stores and ask their policy on the matter in California.  Good luck.

Thanks. All the other stores I call do it as well. What's the name of the store in Chi-town where you bought your iComfort?

Reply #84 Jun 3, 2011 7:57 PM
I believe mattresses are supposed to have a pretty even feel of firmness when you press all around different areas of it.  Like petes67 bird found, I also noticed an Insight twin XL on display floor at Sears with mfr. tag of 3/31/11 defintely did Not feel even firmness all over the mattress.  It felt alright to lay on although it seemed like my hips sunk down a slight bit more than my feet.  But I really noticed when I pushed down into the mattress - the hips area had somewhat more give, especially more than the feet area.  When I sat on the mattress with my legs 'Indian style' towards the end, my butt sank in more than I'm used to, sort of like being in a hole.  I'm not here to bash Serta.  I was honestly shopping at Sears and really wanted to try a memory foam mattress without paying $500 more for a Tempur Pedic Cloud.  I would have been willing to try out the Insight for a couple weeks as Sears has a one time no hassle free exchange, but I already went through a refund process with a local mattress mfr. and did one cancellation with Sears, so I'm in no mood to try products with little track record right now.

That said, I posted up on Priuschat.com about foam mattresses and several long time posters had very good things to say about their Tempur Pedic mattresses.  Good luck!

This message was modified Jun 4, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts