Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #55 May 30, 2011 5:46 PM
Would somebody PLEASE post a review of their experience with Serta iComfort! I'm about to go out and buy one during Memorial Day sale. How is it possible no one is reviewing this bed on this site or anywhere else on the web?!? It's been out several months right?  (It's pretty clear that Danwhite has some other kind of agenda about bashing the iComfort gel foam so I'm disregarding his comments outright.) I'm debating between the iComfort or shelling out another $500 or so for a Tempurpedic of the same size. But being that I live in warm Southern CA, ideally I'd want something that will stay a little cooler than the Tempurpedic apparently does. If someone could shed some light on the Serta iComfort ASAP that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
This message was modified May 31, 2011 by jblo
Reply #56 May 31, 2011 11:09 AM
A few months ago, I too was looking into memory foam mattresses.  From everything I read, the most important thing to look for is the density of the foam and the amount (thickness) that is in the mattress.  The density ranges from 1-5, with 1 being the least dense and 5 being the most.  The 1-5 rating is actually the weight in pounds of one cubic foot of foam material.  Why has no one mentioned density? 
Reply #57 May 31, 2011 12:19 PM
I would LOVE to find out the density of the foam in the iComfort mattresses. I am thinking about calling Serta CS to se if they can send me something on that. I doubt it. But like I said in an earlier post, the iComfort Insight mattress definitely felt more dense than the Novaform sample at Costco I tried out.
Reply #58 May 31, 2011 5:08 PM
phreaky_d wrote:

I would LOVE to find out the density of the foam in the iComfort mattresses. I am thinking about calling Serta CS to se if they can send me something on that. I doubt it. But like I said in an earlier post, the iComfort Insight mattress definitely felt more dense than the Novaform sample at Costco I tried out.

I just called a couple Sit 'N Sleep stores who are a major authorized retailer. They said the density of Serta iComfort mattreses are 5 lb's per cubic foot. Tempurapedic are 5.3. Seems like a neglibible difference. But from what I understand, the foam in the Novaform are no where near the quality of iComfort's.

Reply #59 May 31, 2011 6:16 PM
jblo wrote:

But from what I understand, the foam in the Novaform are no where near the quality of iComfort's.

It would be great if you could provide links or other info that would confirm this, as it would really shed some light on this debate.

This message was modified May 31, 2011 by need2sleep636
Reply #60 May 31, 2011 11:46 PM
Need2Sleep - I spent 2 straight days going into stores talking to industry experts and that was the overwhelming opinion. Not everything is found on the web. But take it or leave it. If I find something online I'll post it. Though Costco carries some quality products, you should know that you pretty much get what you pay for. 
Reply #61 Jun 1, 2011 1:05 PM
Our iComfort (not sure which one we got, but the salesman did say it was the firmest one in their line) was delivered yesterday.

We were told that we would probably have to "air" it out or let it breathe, you pick for a day.  Well I'm here to tell you that there was very little odor to our new mattress.  Something I've read about in this thread.  I was surprised and pleased that we did not have this issue, the temps here are in the 90s, so the prospect of opening up the windows wasn't something I was looking forward to.  

It did seem that the bed was "firmer" than the one on the display floor, but that was to be expected.

I slept well my first night and am pleased, the hubby on the other hand is undecided.  I'll have to get back to you after a couple of weeks.  I just wanted to say I am happy so far with our new bed.

Reply #62 Jun 1, 2011 2:38 PM
jblo wrote:

Need2Sleep - I spent 2 straight days going into stores talking to industry experts and that was the overwhelming opinion. Not everything is found on the web. But take it or leave it. If I find something online I'll post it. Though Costco carries some quality products, you should know that you pretty much get what you pay for. 

Well this debate has sparked interest of many it seems and elaborating on your opinion would be helpful. What did these experts base their opinion on? Do they know who makes the foam for each of the two companies? Does Serta make their own foam?

Reply #63 Jun 1, 2011 6:51 PM
SleepFinally wrote:

Our iComfort (not sure which one we got, but the salesman did say it was the firmest one in their line) was delivered yesterday.

We were told that we would probably have to "air" it out or let it breathe, you pick for a day.  Well I'm here to tell you that there was very little odor to our new mattress.  Something I've read about in this thread.  I was surprised and pleased that we did not have this issue, the temps here are in the 90s, so the prospect of opening up the windows wasn't something I was looking forward to.  

It did seem that the bed was "firmer" than the one on the display floor, but that was to be expected.

I slept well my first night and am pleased, the hubby on the other hand is undecided.  I'll have to get back to you after a couple of weeks.  I just wanted to say I am happy so far with our new bed.

Thanks for posting your impressions. Can you find out which model you got and post the info here? I'm leaning towards the Insight and it sounds like that's the model you have. I just want to clarify.

Reply #64 Jun 1, 2011 11:51 PM
According to the most recent 10K filings with the SEC, Sealy does manufacture its own foam (which is not to say it doesn't license and outsource its manufacturing through licensees), but Simmons outsources all of its supplies and does not claim to manufacture its own foam. Serta is owned by a private equity firm and that company does not post filings with the SEC, so no public information is available on that company with the SEC.

For what it's worth...hope this helps.

Recent Posts