New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #25 Dec 23, 2009 8:55 PM
This Costco 10" queen latex mattress sounds like a fantastic deal. In contrast, the quotes I received from Land & Sky for their queen mattresses ranged $1500 (6" latex core "Meadow") to $2000 (9" latex "Rainforest"). Lifekind quoted me $2400 for their standard "Euro" model. Their "Trio" was $3400. The Soaring Heart Natural Bed Company queen latex mattresses range $1300 to 1400, and their all cotton/wool futons pads run $400-500 or so. Now, I'm sure those companies craft a far more polished and organic product than the Sleep Science model Costco is selling. However, 10" of natural latex for $1000 shipped/installed free and with the legendary Costco return policy can't be beat.

Anybody received theirs yet? How is it?

What's the catch? Is the zippered case doused in nasty flame retardants? Is the "natural" latex actually 80% synthetic? Does the mattress smell bad and take forever to off-gas / outgas?
This message was modified Dec 23, 2009 by hulupotatoe
Reply #26 Dec 24, 2009 1:18 AM
It does seem too good to be true, and I'm also waiting for reports from those who bought it and how they like it.  The burning question in my mind is . . . . what's the source of the latex, and is it that cheap stuff with fillers?
Reply #27 Dec 24, 2009 12:48 PM
I am very skeptical whether this is actually all 100% natural sourced rubber.  for the cost it really doesn't seem possible.  and there are a lot of companies out there that tend to mislabel things, I have seen a lot of pillows that were blended latex come in packaging that says 100% natural latex, or "Natural Latex" and then just list the benefits. 
Reply #28 Dec 27, 2009 4:54 PM
i'm considering ordering this bed before the sale is over in a week.  i can't decide whether i should just get the mattress and use my old box spring with or without a plyboard.  the problem is that i can't order the matching foundation later if i change my mind.  not too sure that it would be easy to find a suitable foundation separately, later.  would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply #29 Dec 27, 2009 5:59 PM
I would think that any traditional foundation would be suitable.  I didn't order the slat foundation from Flobed when I got my latex mattress, I went down to my local mattress store and bought a regular foundation for $200 and had them deliver it.  It's working fine.

BTW I was browsing the Savvy Rest site FAQ and under their "Dunlop or Talalay?" link they make the following statement: 

"Some companies add “fillers” such as clay to make the latex go further. (If you find a Queen natural latex mattress for $1000 or less, there are fillers.)"

This really makes me wonder whether the latex in these Costco beds has fillers.  The price is *so* much lower than what the established latex mattress companies are offering.

Has anyone ordered and had one delivered yet?  If so, what's your experience been?
Reply #30 Dec 27, 2009 10:14 PM
My wife and I have been sleeping on a king for almost 2 weeks now and love this mattress!!!
Reply #31 Dec 28, 2009 1:35 PM
Hi Mikey: Did you order the foundation and if so how is the quality? I originally ordered just the king size mattress and then my wife said that she wanted the matching foundation. She didn't want it to look like a mixed set. Any chance you can post some pictures?

I looked on the Costco reviews and this is the only review so far which does not bode well. 

Delivery Service

"The delivery service was a bad experience. The guys called me at 7PM and showed up at 7:05 PM. The guy mentioned that it was his first experience delivering a king size mattress. He was reluctant to take the mattress out of the truck and he said that installation meant to leave the mattress at the curb outside the house. The guys dropped the mattress unfolded from the truck without using the truck built-in lift. They folded the mattress and did hit it against the handrail tearing the mattress off. Then they took the mattress back. One of the guys, said that he would come back tomorrow with another one, although, we have been waiting for over three weeks for the mattress to be delivered from another state. We expected a much better service from Costco. We do not intend to get another one from Costco. We'll probably buy another one locally from a Furniture store, where they have professional people handling delivery and installation better."  
Reply #32 Dec 28, 2009 4:27 PM
mikeyj6767 wrote:
My wife and I have been sleeping on a king for almost 2 weeks now and love this mattress!!!

great to hear, i ordered mine 12-17 and it hasnt even shipped yet...wonder if they ran out and forgot to tell me   may I ask a question, hopefully you come back to answer...when it was delivered it was set up on the softer of the two sides, i know this because I called sleep science and asked them, did you swap it to the firmer side?

then, how is it from a firmness standpoint?  do you have lower back problems and does this help?

thanks
randy
Reply #33 Dec 28, 2009 4:53 PM
Barry, 

Where did you find that delivery review?

When I went to Costco's site and looked for reviews on the sleep science LATEX mattress, I couldn't find any. 

Reply #34 Dec 28, 2009 9:15 PM
Philip:

On the Costco web site, click on the king size with foundation and under details the review will come up. I had originally ordered just the mattress and then as I said in a previous post, I cancelled and ordered the foundation as well. They actually tried to deliver the cancelled mattress on the 22nd but we refused delivery. I think the bed and foundation are expected to arrive on January 5th and 'll keep everyone posted. On another note, I ordered the Nature's Rest Latex Pillows and they are unbelievable. We have been using them for about 3 weeks and love them. If the mattress is anything like the pillows we are going to be very happy. :)

Recent Posts