New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #35 Dec 29, 2009 12:59 AM
Ordered this bed 12/14. They called today to arrange delivery on 12/31 so all in it will have taken less than two and a half weeks even with the holiday. The delivery service agreed to take away my old Cal King mattress for $75 and indicated they would deliver the new one to the master bedroom upstairs. I live in the San Francisco Bay area.... I will provide feedback on the bed after it's here and I've slept on it a bit...
Reply #36 Dec 29, 2009 12:42 PM
I did not order the foundation.  I had a king box spring already so there was no need to order the foundation.  As far as looking mismatched, I'm not sure even theirs match, but I could be wrong.  The side portion of the mattress cover looks like a tan suede material with no quilting or pattern at all.   I would be curious to see a closer picture, since the one on the costco site really doesn't look like it matches all that well.

As far as the delivery service goes, that is contracted with various delivery companies.  Mine came from a local moving and storage company, and was delivered with no problems.  Why they would fold it is beyond me.  I would not allow them to do that for fear they could damage the mattress.  My delivery company carried it into my home in the box, and once they were in my bedroom they removed the packaging.  These other guys sound like a bunch of morons.  It's unfortunate for costco that they have to take the hit for someone else's imcompetence.   

I left it on the softer side and love it this way.  It still feels fairly firm.  I have always had problems with mattresses making my hips and shoulders hurt and fall asleep, hence, waking up several times in a night to roll to a different position.  I can lay in one position for hours and have no discomfort, in fact the only time I usually wake up is if the Pee Gods come calling in the middle of the night.  I do suffer from occasional lower back pain and have not had any since sleeping on this.  The only negative was having to wait a couple of days before we could sleep on it to get rid of the smell.  It had quite a strong odor of what reminded me of contact cement, but it almost completely went away after the 2nd day, and honestly that is my only complaint.

I tried to post some pictures but could not figure out how to do it.
Reply #37 Dec 29, 2009 3:38 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I would think that any traditional foundation would be suitable.  I didn't order the slat foundation from Flobed when I got my latex mattress, I went down to my local mattress store and bought a regular foundation for $200 and had them deliver it.  It's working fine.

BTW I was browsing the Savvy Rest site FAQ and under their "Dunlop or Talalay?" link they make the following statement: 

"Some companies add “fillers” such as clay to make the latex go further. (If you find a Queen natural latex mattress for $1000 or less, there are fillers.)"

This really makes me wonder whether the latex in these Costco beds has fillers.  The price is *so* much lower than what the established latex mattress companies are offering.

Has anyone ordered and had one delivered yet?  If so, what's your experience been?

Before ordering mine (last night!), I called Sleep Science and asked about their statement of the 100% natural latex. The customer service rep was very nice on the phone and assured me that there are no fillers. She said all 4 layers are 100% natural latex. Costco's site states "The Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress is 100% natural latex throughout" and "Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex". Not that the company can't lie. But that is what they put in writing and stated over the phone.

Reply #38 Dec 30, 2009 3:08 AM
becky wrote:
Before ordering mine (last night!), I called Sleep Science and asked about their statement of the 100% natural latex. The customer service rep was very nice on the phone and assured me that there are no fillers. She said all 4 layers are 100% natural latex. Costco's site states "The Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress is 100% natural latex throughout" and "Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex". Not that the company can't lie. But that is what they put in writing and stated over the phone.

i HOPE so.  because according to savvyrest's statement on what the eco institute certifies exactly, "The Eco Institut does not label anything as organic, such as an organic mattress. They merely test to be sure that materials meet certain thresholds for emissions requirements." not that organic = "natural" or anything, and so long as they are at least confirming it's 100% latex, since companies submit a list of ingredients along with the sampel to the eco institute.

mikey, any chance you'd peel back your cover & snap a photo of the bare latex foam itself for us?  if you can't get it to show here, just link it?  there are obviously lower & higher grades of latex out there.  i just know i won't use the logic of $2,000 = high grade (true), then $1,000 MUST be low(er) grade.  because i'm not assuming they are not already way overpriced across the board, all these raw blocks of foam.  not necessarily at the dealer level, they may be bound by the manufacturers prices, since there are so few companies making this stuff.  but they charge what people are willing to pay. so it doesn't look crumbly does it?  or gray, like this one (synthetic):  http://tinypic.com/r/kdwl60/6

becky, did they mention who actually manufactures sleep science's latex in these mattresses?

Reply #39 Dec 30, 2009 3:17 AM
certified AS natural latex, by eco institute.  there is no alternate meaning there.  so if that's not what they do, & it's only a test for emmissions, i think the eco institut would have a problem with them saying otherwise.  it would be a straight out lie if that were the case.  i doubt/hope you wouldn't find that for someting on costco's website.
Reply #40 Dec 30, 2009 12:08 PM
mikeyj6767 wrote:
I did not order the foundation.  I had a king box spring already so there was no need to order the foundation.  As far as looking mismatched, I'm not sure even theirs match, but I could be wrong.  The side portion of the mattress cover looks like a tan suede material with no quilting or pattern at all.   I would be curious to see a closer picture, since the one on the costco site really doesn't look like it matches all that well.

As far as the delivery service goes, that is contracted with various delivery companies.  Mine came from a local moving and storage company, and was delivered with no problems.  Why they would fold it is beyond me.  I would not allow them to do that for fear they could damage the mattress.  My delivery company carried it into my home in the box, and once they were in my bedroom they removed the packaging.  These other guys sound like a bunch of morons.  It's unfortunate for costco that they have to take the hit for someone else's imcompetence.   

I left it on the softer side and love it this way.  It still feels fairly firm.  I have always had problems with mattresses making my hips and shoulders hurt and fall asleep, hence, waking up several times in a night to roll to a different position.  I can lay in one position for hours and have no discomfort, in fact the only time I usually wake up is if the Pee Gods come calling in the middle of the night.  I do suffer from occasional lower back pain and have not had any since sleeping on this.  The only negative was having to wait a couple of days before we could sleep on it to get rid of the smell.  It had quite a strong odor of what reminded me of contact cement, but it almost completely went away after the 2nd day, and honestly that is my only complaint.

I tried to post some pictures but could not figure out how to do it.

thanks for feedback, i dont have a ship date yet (ordered 13 days ago, this is taking forever) but I was going to flip it and use the firmer side from day one, maybe i shouldnt...i can always flip it later

i am use to the smell from foam, hopefully latex isnt worse...
Reply #41 Dec 30, 2009 12:08 PM
Hey Jason, what mattress is that odd looking gray latex used in?  Ive seen many different samples of synthetic latex and they are all white.
Reply #42 Dec 30, 2009 3:23 PM
JasonRatky wrote:

becky, did they mention who actually manufactures sleep science's latex in these mattresses?

I just called customer service and they informed me it is manufactured in Thailand by Latex Systems. Does anyone know if this is a reputable company?

Reply #43 Dec 30, 2009 4:44 PM
I don't think I have posted on this yet.
Anyway, I think this sounds like a really great latex mattress for the price. I like the fact that it can be adjusted by turning it over, and I like the fact that it has CostCo's return guarantee (I assume).

As to Natural latex, I have never slept on it, but I once layed on one and I liked the feel of it better than Talalay (and yes it was "jungle" latex, from some 3rd World country, perhaps the same as this one).

I think you can't go wrong with this bed if you can return it for zero or minimal charge.

Am interested to see how you like it. I wish they'd sell some toppers of this material at those cut rate prices!
Reply #44 Jan 2, 2010 11:17 AM

I’ve been a lurker here for a couple months since we started looking for a king mattress.  We decided to go for this Costco Latex Mattress.  I was planning on waiting to post after we’ve slept on it a few nights, but I know the Costco discount ends on Sunday night. 

Order placed 12/7, order shipped 12/14, delivery to house this morning on 1/2. 

We read the only Costco review and they had problems with the delivery.  Based on their experience of the guys snagging and tearing the mattress, we asked if they could leave the mattress in the box until it was in our upstairs bedroom.  Reluctantly, they obliged. This thing was heavy and unwieldy.  My wife really thinks one of the gentlemen delivering this king sized beast might have soiled himself getting this thing up the stairs.

We have a 3” LI Talalay 100% natural topper for my 2 yr old daughter’s bed and I’d say this is a vastly different feel.  We got it from FoamSweetFoam.  The ILD for the “medium” topper was claimed to be 24-28.  For starters this Dunlop mattress is much denser and although the Costco site says the softest part is a 19 ILD, the Talalay seems much softer and springier.  I think the Costco mattress is much firmer than the Talalay topper. 

We ultimately decided to buy the foundation, which I’m happy we did.  It’s actually pretty beefy and will be a much more solid foundation than a box spring in my opinion.  It’s constructed of 1” square steel.  Yes, the plastic “cardboard” that covers the foundation does seem cheap, but I think it serves its purpose in evenly distributing the load across the steel foundation. 

Assuming we sleep well tonight, I intend to get the twin set for my 4 yr old son.

Recent Posts