New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #15 Dec 6, 2009 2:23 PM
I just called Costco and asked about returning a bed, as I just recently returned the EMMA sleep science mattress and i hired someone to help me take it to the store

Not necessary, they told me that NO MATTER what the item, it could be a ballpoint pen, they will take care of getting it back.

In the case of a bed like this they send the shipping company that delivered it, they package it up and take it away, I suppose it makes sense to keep whatever packaging material it came in to assist in this process...

I will likely end up getting one as my 2nd tempurpedic in as many weeks, the bellafina, isnt working out...
This message was modified Dec 6, 2009 by randys
Reply #16 Dec 6, 2009 8:50 PM
Thanks, much, Tuan209. :) I will definitely look into it. 

I have a broader question to ask about this bed + topper.

Concerns with the Costco bed seem to be that it might not feel firm enough - if that's the case, is it possible to increase the firmness with a topper?  I've read about several instances of making a too-firm mattress feel softer and more comfortable with a topper; but I'm not sure if it can work the other way.  If  "not firm enough" means "not enough support" (does it?) than can you really increase that with a topper?

Thoughts?
Reply #17 Dec 7, 2009 2:00 AM
elisa wrote:
Thanks, much, Tuan209. :) I will definitely look into it. 

I have a broader question to ask about this bed + topper.

Concerns with the Costco bed seem to be that it might not feel firm enough - if that's the case, is it possible to increase the firmness with a topper?  I've read about several instances of making a too-firm mattress feel softer and more comfortable with a topper; but I'm not sure if it can work the other way.  If  "not firm enough" means "not enough support" (does it?) than can you really increase that with a topper?

Thoughts?

yeah i.d.k. how that's going to work out, because i've only read about toppers taking you softer.  the only evidence i can think of that might support what we're trying is looking at spring mattresses.  sealy for instance has their range of firm, cushion firm, plush, etc. & so long as you stay within the same class (preferred, reserve, signature) the core is exactly the same.  the only change from firm to plush are in the top layers, of foam.  because the coils of a firm signature & plush signature for instance are of identical guage, size, count, everything.  they just add more of their highest density foams on top for firm.  probably a bad analogy, springs to all foam, but i really want to convince you it will work so you'll try it & let me know if it actually does (i have the same idea & am right behind you)!

anyway at least the thickest layer in ther- the 4" core is 32 i.l.d.- & it's all dunlop we;re working with.  but ultimately it does seem backwards from what everyone else is doing- firmer layers UNDER softer ones is the conventional setup.  i am also anxious to hear what you guys think about how it SMELLS. 

good luck.

This message was modified Dec 7, 2009 by JasonRatky
Reply #18 Dec 7, 2009 5:46 PM
Has anyone visited Costco?  Is it in the store to look at?  I have to wonder if the layers are glued, and if so I wouldn't care for that would you?

Really curious what it looks like and feels.  Even at $1000, you still need the foundation and the bed frame or legs.  So still costs $$$.  But yes the latex layers are costly in themselves.  Who actually is the manufacturer of the Dunlop, anyone know?   Not too many companies left that make Dunlop.

I also wonder about the Sears dunlop mattress made many many years ago, what ILD it was, and if it has different layers.  Anyone here had one?
Reply #19 Dec 7, 2009 7:53 PM
I am in the market for a latex mattress.

I thik we should find out where the latex is from, and is the mattress made in this counry or imported from other country.

I still believe made in USA if we can find them.

I also try to find out theone from Sears

Please work together to find the best mattress.

Tina

Reply #20 Dec 8, 2009 5:57 AM
The mattress is made by a company called "Sleep Science" according to the Costco website.  But I did a search for Sleep Sciecne mattresses and a company that seems unaffilliated with the Sleep Science matress sold at Costco.  My main concern about the mattress is if it is treated with chemical flame retardants.
Reply #21 Dec 13, 2009 1:28 AM
I am buying this Costco Mattress today as well in Cal King for only $1500. Very close to buying a Savvy Rest but this price and Costco's return policy are just too good to pass up. Hoping someone will receive and review this bed soon. I will when mine comes. Unfortunately that is quoted as 4 to 6 weeks.
Reply #22 Dec 15, 2009 2:46 AM
this foundation for $200 more- metal with plastic top & four legs... but what IS that exactly?  what is that ridged box between the legs & actual mattress?  similar to a box spring, with some type of internal structure, or something less substantial?  i'm not seeing any up close photos of that foundation or its insides, or the latex itself for that matter./  i just hope its quality isnt' too cheap.

either way, i wouldn't even hesitate if those layers were only loose instead of glued together.  i just don't like being forced to keep softer layers UNDER the thickest, firmest core layer- which is what you end up with regardless the side you choose.  guess they had to make it simple as possible to flip, if not physically easier.  or as customizable.  because in the "firm/medium" orientation, i'd almost rather lose latex & replace the softest 3" layers on bottom with firm conventional foam, so that it's a continuous progression from softer to firmer, top to bottom.  but even that way, it's still tough to put 7" of raw latex together for this price, on the simplest of wood slat frames (with no encasement or "box foundation)/

Reply #23 Dec 15, 2009 6:38 AM
JasonRatky wrote:
this foundation for $200 more- metal with plastic top & four legs... but what IS that exactly?  what is that ridged box between the legs & actual mattress?  similar to a box spring, with some type of internal structure, or something less substantial?  i'm not seeing any up close photos of that foundation or its insides, or the latex itself for that matter./  i just hope its quality isnt' too cheap.

well at least one poster here recommends against the foundation after having bought it in a set.  his was sleep science's m.f. mattress, but they are the same foundation according to costco's product description-  "The Sleep Science coordinating metal foundations are specifically engineered for the Sleep Science memory foam mattresses, including the Latex mattress."

"Avoid the matching foundation. It comes fully assembled and is made of steel with plastic panels for support. While it works, I'm concerned about the cheap plastic support panels. For the price (about $200 extra for the matching set) I feel you can do better buying a foundation locally." -dkcs  (http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/sleep-science-ara-foam-mattress-costco/4406-0-1.html). & exact same price increase in queen for this one.  he hasn't checked back in there since summer, so hopefully it's still o.k. for him. but i'd rather have a basic wood slat frame instead for less money.  the value here is obviously in buying the mattress only.

Reply #24 Dec 15, 2009 11:19 PM
Ihad an old Sers dunlop mattress but it was decades ago when I was a kid, so I can't be of any help as to what they sell nowadays.  Extremely comfortable, all one piece (or perhaps glued pieces, I don't know as it was inside a typical mattress cover)

Recent Posts