Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
May 26, 2010 9:03 PM
I switched my layers around this afternoon, because I'm feeling like the soft is too soft for me. But now I'm concerned about this. I mean, I'll sleep on it and try it, but it feels really squishy now that the the middle layer is softer than the top one. How does work, really? Will I get enough support, or is this likely to be worse?
Re: Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
Reply #14 May 30, 2010 6:55 PM
Your choices are soft (22-24 ILD), medium (30-32 ILD), firm (38-40 ILD), extra firm (44 ILD) copied from Sleep eze site for my and your reference.

Can't remember if you have natural or blended.  If 2.8" or 3", and if natural a bit firmer.  Refresh my memory please.  I have 8.5" over a mattress (LOL) so I would bottom out if the layers weren't firm underneath and a mattress.  I would definitely call Shawn tomorrow, oops Tuesday (holiday remember) and tell him your weight once again, and your situation.  Perhaps you can add another layer and mail back the cover to get a 13,000.  Or if they won't do that, option 1 add another layer over the mattress top like Mark has done, and some of us others (me).

You are close to my weight so you may need more layers, or firmer layers.  but I still would want a comfort layer of 24ILD (S) .  Can they do what Flobeds does and request a higher ILD of the top layer?  Not sure if 22 to 24 is that big of a difference.  But your medium and firm may be the lower ILD's, if label doesn't say, then SOL.  I almost think you should try changing the medium to firm, and the firm (MAYBE) to extrafirm.  Just throwing ideas out there.

Did you read the persons posting under yours, they have a 13,000 and the husband has lower back back, and the wife feels it is too hard.  So Princess and the pea.  I think they said it is on a box spring.  Personally I think you may consider either a Euroslat or ???  It is so hard to figure out for someone else, let alone myself.  I know people think I am nuts having a spring mattress and then 8 1/2" latex, but you know what?  It works for me.  I like the springiness and I didn't like laying anywhere near the hard springs.

Do you still have your box springs to try putting the latex on?

I was going to say put the S over the F, and then the M for tonight to see how that is.

P.S. Put your frame on the floor and see if that firms up the latex and stops your squeaks (LOL).

This message was modified May 30, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #15 May 30, 2010 10:10 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Do you still have your box springs to try putting the latex on?

I was going to say put the S over the F, and then the M for tonight to see how that is.

P.S. Put your frame on the floor and see if that firms up the latex and stops your squeaks (LOL).

Hi Leo. No, no box springs, but I wish I did have some.

I already had the soft in between the firm and medium (med. on top) and that was worse then the F/M/S.

I actually did consider putting the foundation on the floor, too. Maybe I will try that tonight.

Reply #16 May 31, 2010 10:37 AM
Foundation on foor - no rattles, creaks, bumps or other noises. So I guess I need to put legs on the thing or get a better frame. One thing I noticed is that it was way warmer than usual, and I wonder if that's because of the lack of air flow under the foundation when it'son the floor.

As for comfort. It wasn't perfect but I have much less pain than I did the last few nights. Maybe a little bit from sleeping on my side. It's hard to tell though because I didn't sleep very well because I was too warm.

Reply #17 May 31, 2010 11:22 AM
What cofiguration did you sleep on?  Have you tried it without the soft?  You can also try with soft on bottom, but I don't think that is a great long term solution.  You may need a wool mattress pad for heat issues.
Reply #18 May 31, 2010 12:48 PM
sandman wrote:

What cofiguration did you sleep on?  Have you tried it without the soft?  You can also try with soft on bottom, but I don't think that is a great long term solution.  You may need a wool mattress pad for heat issues.

I had medium over firm for 6 inch mattress. I didn't want to use soft on the bottom because it just doesn't seem like that would be supportive enough. Prior to this I had med. over soft over firm, and prior to that soft over med. over firm.

The heat issue was not much a problem before last night, so either it was a fluke or there is not enough air circulation under the foundation since it's not raised above the floor for the moment. I will try it like this again tonight and see how it goes.

The metal frame I am using is designed to be used with queen, full or twin mattresses, so there are two adjustable arms that seem to be causing some of the noises (also rattles where the legs attach to the frame). I'm thinking of wrapping tape or cloth around these arms to help reduce the noise.

Reply #19 May 31, 2010 1:37 PM
So, how did it feel with just the 6"?  Too firm or pretty close?  If pretty close, then maybe you want XF for the bottom layer.
Reply #20 May 31, 2010 2:08 PM
sandman wrote:

So, how did it feel with just the 6"?  Too firm or pretty close?  If pretty close, then maybe you want XF for the bottom layer.

I want to say pretty close, in that I woke in much less pain. I've been laying on it, reading, off and on this morning to see if it gets too warm. It feels slightly too hard while I'm on my side and something is not quite right while on my back.

I think you are right about wanting an XF layer. Then maybe an inch or two soft topper.

Reply #21 May 31, 2010 5:05 PM
Cynicaljones, but did you try S, F, M?  Try that.  I don't think airflow really is the problem.  I think probably the soft on top did suppy more softness and airflow (who knows).

I too had one of those bed metal frames that expanded from king, queen, etc, and we used 4 clamps and still noise!  Do not recommend those, I like a quiet night sleep thank you very much.

Reply #22 May 31, 2010 7:03 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Cynicaljones, but did you try S, F, M?  Try that.  I don't think airflow really is the problem.
I too had one of those bed metal frames that expanded from king, queen, etc, and we used 4 clamps and still noise!  Do not recommend those, I like a quiet night sleep thank you very much.

I am concerned that the soft layer would not be enough t support the layers above plus me, meaning I don't know that it would help and may cause problems, somehow. I don't know that I have scientific facts to back up my concerns, though.

As for the heat problem, it could have been that I ate too much yesterday and my metabolism was in overddrive.

Yeah, that bed frame is the pits. I paid $60 for it and it's going straight to St. Vinnie's ASAP. I could have bought a set of legs for that money, but, as I said, I didn't want to put holes in the foundation until I knew for certain the bed was right for me. I sat on the beds in the showroom where I bought that thing, thinking they were the same ones.  None made those noises, but they were all bigger beds, so maybe that was why.

Reply #23 May 31, 2010 7:21 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

I am concerned that the soft layer would not be enough t support the layers above plus me, meaning I don't know that it would help and may cause problems, somehow. I don't know that I have scientific facts to back up my concerns, though.

As for the heat problem, it could have been that I ate too much yesterday and my metabolism was in overddrive.

Yeah, that bed frame is the pits. I paid $60 for it and it's going straight to St. Vinnie's ASAP. I could have bought a set of legs for that money, but, as I said, I didn't want to put holes in the foundation until I knew for certain the bed was right for me. I sat on the beds in the showroom where I bought that thing, thinking they were the same ones.  None made those noises, but they were all bigger beds, so maybe that was why.

I mean put the soft on top, then firm, then medium at the bottom.  No I didn't mean put the soft under anything else, leave it on top.  I don't think you have tried that yet, have you?

Are you using a mattress pad that makes it hotter?

Recent Posts