Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
May 26, 2010 9:03 PM
I switched my layers around this afternoon, because I'm feeling like the soft is too soft for me. But now I'm concerned about this. I mean, I'll sleep on it and try it, but it feels really squishy now that the the middle layer is softer than the top one. How does work, really? Will I get enough support, or is this likely to be worse?
Re: Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
Reply #24 May 31, 2010 7:35 PM
Leo3 wrote:

I mean put the soft on top, then firm, then medium at the bottom.  No I didn't mean put the soft under anything else, leave it on top.  I don't think you have tried that yet, have you?

Are you using a mattress pad that makes it hotter?

Ah, OK. I misunderstood you. I'll try the current configuration for a few days, and then I'll try your suggestion.

The mattress pad is actually more of just a protector,  it's very thin. This one, which was recommended by someone here.

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #25 May 31, 2010 7:55 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Ah, OK. I misunderstood you. I'll try the current configuration for a few days, and then I'll try your suggestion.

The mattress pad is actually more of just a protector,  it's very thin. This one, which was recommended by someone here.

Does the protector come with 4 feet and a baby?  What a funny picture to show the matttress pad, LOL.  I am not sure why you would need a dust mite cover when they claim latex is mite resistant.  Anyway, if you are still hot I would try removing that to see.

Reply #26 May 31, 2010 9:24 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Does the protector come with 4 feet and a baby?  What a funny picture to show the matttress pad, LOL.  I am not sure why you would need a dust mite cover when they claim latex is mite resistant.  Anyway, if you are still hot I would try removing that to see.

LOL. I got that particular cover because it was both thin and water resistant. Also, it was reasonably priced, though I see the price has gone up some.  Plus it came highly recommended by someone on this forum, just can't remember who right now. I think they were showing that you can safely play with unpredictable babies without ruining your bed. I'm surprised they did not also show puppies, kittens and glasses of red wine.

Reply #27 Jun 1, 2010 10:57 AM
Last night I had a good night's sleep. I did NOT want to get up this morning. No overheating, and no pain until I tried to sleep on my back.  I want to give this configuration a few more days, then maybe I'll try the firm layer on top to compare.
This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #28 Jun 1, 2010 11:51 AM
cynicaljones wrote:

Last night I had a good night's sleep. I did NOT want to get up this morning. No overheating, and no pain until I tried to sleep on my back.  I want to give this configuration a few more days, then maybe I'll try the firm layer on top to compare.

Glad that you are making progress.  Was the foundation still on the floor?  The overheating might have been just a one night thing.  I doubt the air circulating under would make much difference.   But still, probably better to have it off the ground (if possible) eventually.

I think that it will be hard to find a configuration that works for all sleeping positions. So, you just have to pick what works best overall. 

So, you are going to try just Firm over medium (6" total)?

Reply #29 Jun 1, 2010 1:37 PM
I may just try firm over medium or firm over soft over medium.

Yep the foundation is on the floor, still. I hate the idea of putting it back on that frame, but am not yet ready to drill holes in the foundation. And I also don't want to waste any more money right now. Since I'm probably going to eventually dump the frame, I'll try some padding and tape and whatnot to try and silence it.

Reply #30 Jun 1, 2010 2:17 PM
I can't remember what was causing the noise from your frame, but have you tried WD-40 at the various joints and wheel connections?  That has worked for me in the past with a squeaky frame.
Reply #31 Jun 1, 2010 3:00 PM
I have often used a soft layer under firmer layers. Sometimes it works at least for awhile. IMHO anything is worth a try, then you know. And no one else can tell you what will work for you, so you just have to try it and find out. Never be afraid to think outside the box especially if it's relatively easy and cheap to try.
Reply #32 Jun 1, 2010 5:44 PM
OK! I think I have, at least temporarily, solved the worst frame noise problem. Issue 1 is that the frame seems a bit off-kilter and the arms didn't stay locked together. When I first brought it home, there was no extra hardware so I missed the fact that there are little square holes on the arms. The guy had said, "once you put the foundatiojn on it, it's not going anywhere".

I looked around the garage and managed to find some short screws, washers and nuts and was able to cobble together a solution that should work in the short term. I anticipate that the screws will loosen themselves soon, but it will work for now. Issue 2 is there is a rattling noise where the legs/wheels connect to the frame. Not much I can do about that, really, but it's nowhere near as annoying as the other noise was.

The foundation is now back on the frame and I'm going to try another night with medium over firm. Tomoorow will try firm over medium or firm over soft over medium. I think. I just don't know anymore. Last night was pretty good though.

This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #33 Jun 2, 2010 3:59 PM
The frame I had did have it fitted correctly, but the groove in the hole locked.  But it still made noise, we put clamps on it and that helped.  But it still made noise.  Maybe the wood isn't level (frame) and then when you move during the night it clangs on the metal frame.

You still haven't tried soft, firm, medium (top to bottom) have you?  You just don't like the soft at all?

Recent Posts