Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
May 26, 2010 9:03 PM
I switched my layers around this afternoon, because I'm feeling like the soft is too soft for me. But now I'm concerned about this. I mean, I'll sleep on it and try it, but it feels really squishy now that the the middle layer is softer than the top one. How does work, really? Will I get enough support, or is this likely to be worse?
Re: Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
Reply #4 May 27, 2010 1:55 PM
I need a soft bed, so S/M/F felt wonderful but caused a lower backache, I called FloBeds and was told to try M/S/F. They said it firms up the bed (either 7% or 17%, sorry can't remember which), and the layers would be fine. My layers are 3" Natural Talalay.

If the M/S/F feels really good to you keep it for a few more nights to be certain. I've found that one or two nights on any configuration is not enough time to be sure if it's right. You can always call Sleepez just to reassure yourself about the layer compression.

Hope you find the comfort you love,

Natalie

Reply #5 May 27, 2010 6:54 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give it at least a week or so to see what feels best. My biggest concern about this was that I didn't want to ruin the soft layer or something.

This frame I have is driving me nuts. There are rattles & squeaks and bumps, and I'm wondering if any of it is the foundation as well.

Reply #6 May 27, 2010 7:21 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Thanks guys! I'll give it at least a week or so to see what feels best. My biggest concern about this was that I didn't want to ruin the soft layer or something.

This frame I have is driving me nuts. There are rattles & squeaks and bumps, and I'm wondering if any of it is the foundation as well.

Thanks Cjones. How would you find out what is causing the bumps and squeaks?

Reply #7 May 27, 2010 9:06 PM
roy1 wrote:

Thanks Cjones. How would you find out what is causing the bumps and squeaks?

I was thinking I could try putting the foundation on the floor for a night. I'd want to lay it on a sheet or blanket or something to keep it clean. That might at least tell me if it was NOT the foundation....?

Reply #8 May 29, 2010 10:14 AM
Ouch! I don't think this configuration is working for me. I'm fine until I go to turn over in the middle of the night and realize just how much my lower back hurts. I don't think there's enough support there. I think I'll try sandman's suggestion for a night or two. Maybe I need more firm layers but with a thin soft topper.

sandman wrote:

You may want to lay on just the medium over the firm to get a feel for what it would be with no soft at all.  I don't know if it will work for an overnight sleep with just 6".  You are now in the game where you have to guess what is best.  You may want to replace the soft but with what?

Reply #9 May 29, 2010 11:58 AM
cynicaljones wrote:

Ouch! I don't think this configuration is working for me. I'm fine until I go to turn over in the middle of the night and realize just how much my lower back hurts. I don't think there's enough support there. I think I'll try sandman's suggestion for a night or two. Maybe I need more firm layers but with a thin soft topper.

Sounds like the soft piece does not work for you support wise.  Although, you are not complaining about it being uncomfotable, so I assume it feels okay?

Using the medium over the firm, will be even firmer than using XF on the bottom.  So, it will be interesting to see if you like that.  6" does not give a lot of depth, so that might make it a bit less comfortable. 

Reply #10 May 29, 2010 12:34 PM
sandman wrote:

Using the medium over the firm, will be even firmer than using XF on the bottom.  So, it will be interesting to see if you like that.  6" does not give a lot of depth, so that might make it a bit less comfortable. 

That's good to know. Thank you.

Reply #11 May 30, 2010 12:27 PM
I dd not get a chance to change layers around yesterday, so I slept on the M/S/F configuration again last night. I woke up at 3AM with terrible low back pain. So I just now took off the soft layer altogether and will try a night or two with just M/F.

Hopefully, from there I'll be able to determine if I need a XF or another F layer. And if that's too firm, then a 1" to 2" soft or medium topper would probably help, right?

Reply #12 May 30, 2010 5:24 PM
Do you think you mattress cover is really really tight?  As in had to stuff the latex in to fit?  If so that could make it firm and no small back support.  Is the mattress cover kinda stiff?  This is when I had lower back pain/small of back pain.

I would call Sleepeze and tell them the situation and ask if they have a 2" layer to replace it with. Could be the cover is to tight. Or you may have to put the 2" over the whole mattress and put something soft and thin over that.

I guess it could be too soft, but you never said if you sink in too much, only you know, and if so then okay you need firmer.  How are your shoulders?  Are you a side sleeper, or only back?

Keep us posted, and good luck.  What is your weight I forgot, if I ever knew.

This message was modified May 30, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #13 May 30, 2010 6:39 PM
Leo, the cover isn't too tight. It was perfect when I switched the layers around last week, but when I went to remove the soft today it was a little wrnkly, like it ws too loose. I don't know if that is the problem.

I'm tall and weigh about 190 lbs. give or take a few from day to the next. I do think the bed is too soft, or just not supportive enough in the bottom layers. Also, to complicate things further, I sleep on my back AND both sides. 

I was going to change my order to M/F/XF or upgrade to a 13,000, but by the time I could call my bed was on the way out the door.

Recent Posts