Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
May 26, 2010 9:03 PM
I switched my layers around this afternoon, because I'm feeling like the soft is too soft for me. But now I'm concerned about this. I mean, I'll sleep on it and try it, but it feels really squishy now that the the middle layer is softer than the top one. How does work, really? Will I get enough support, or is this likely to be worse?
Re: Medium latex layer on top of soft latex layer?
Reply #1 May 27, 2010 11:22 AM
I slept better last night than I did with the soft layer on top previous nights. The mattress feels somewhat springier, which I kind of like, but which may also be my imagination. But I have concerns about the soft layer being sandwiched under the medium one. Will it compress faster? Would it better for me to switch for another firm or an x-firm?
This message was modified May 27, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #2 May 27, 2010 11:52 AM
I don't think it will compress faster.  Does it feel closer to the way you like or still too soft?  If it is pretty close, then maybe replacing the soft with a medium would work.

You may want to lay on just the medium over the firm to get a feel for what it would be with no soft at all.  I don't know if it will work for an overnight sleep with just 6".  You are now in the game where you have to guess what is best.  You may want to replace the soft but with what?

Reply #3 May 27, 2010 12:06 PM
Why not order a medium replacement layer.  Keep the soft layer but take it off the bed and replace with the medium.  Try it for a week or two, and if it feels better, send back the soft.
Reply #4 May 27, 2010 1:55 PM
I need a soft bed, so S/M/F felt wonderful but caused a lower backache, I called FloBeds and was told to try M/S/F. They said it firms up the bed (either 7% or 17%, sorry can't remember which), and the layers would be fine. My layers are 3" Natural Talalay.

If the M/S/F feels really good to you keep it for a few more nights to be certain. I've found that one or two nights on any configuration is not enough time to be sure if it's right. You can always call Sleepez just to reassure yourself about the layer compression.

Hope you find the comfort you love,

Natalie

Reply #5 May 27, 2010 6:54 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give it at least a week or so to see what feels best. My biggest concern about this was that I didn't want to ruin the soft layer or something.

This frame I have is driving me nuts. There are rattles & squeaks and bumps, and I'm wondering if any of it is the foundation as well.

Reply #6 May 27, 2010 7:21 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Thanks guys! I'll give it at least a week or so to see what feels best. My biggest concern about this was that I didn't want to ruin the soft layer or something.

This frame I have is driving me nuts. There are rattles & squeaks and bumps, and I'm wondering if any of it is the foundation as well.

Thanks Cjones. How would you find out what is causing the bumps and squeaks?

Reply #7 May 27, 2010 9:06 PM
roy1 wrote:

Thanks Cjones. How would you find out what is causing the bumps and squeaks?

I was thinking I could try putting the foundation on the floor for a night. I'd want to lay it on a sheet or blanket or something to keep it clean. That might at least tell me if it was NOT the foundation....?

Reply #8 May 29, 2010 10:14 AM
Ouch! I don't think this configuration is working for me. I'm fine until I go to turn over in the middle of the night and realize just how much my lower back hurts. I don't think there's enough support there. I think I'll try sandman's suggestion for a night or two. Maybe I need more firm layers but with a thin soft topper.

sandman wrote:

You may want to lay on just the medium over the firm to get a feel for what it would be with no soft at all.  I don't know if it will work for an overnight sleep with just 6".  You are now in the game where you have to guess what is best.  You may want to replace the soft but with what?

Reply #9 May 29, 2010 11:58 AM
cynicaljones wrote:

Ouch! I don't think this configuration is working for me. I'm fine until I go to turn over in the middle of the night and realize just how much my lower back hurts. I don't think there's enough support there. I think I'll try sandman's suggestion for a night or two. Maybe I need more firm layers but with a thin soft topper.

Sounds like the soft piece does not work for you support wise.  Although, you are not complaining about it being uncomfotable, so I assume it feels okay?

Using the medium over the firm, will be even firmer than using XF on the bottom.  So, it will be interesting to see if you like that.  6" does not give a lot of depth, so that might make it a bit less comfortable. 

Reply #10 May 29, 2010 12:34 PM
sandman wrote:

Using the medium over the firm, will be even firmer than using XF on the bottom.  So, it will be interesting to see if you like that.  6" does not give a lot of depth, so that might make it a bit less comfortable. 

That's good to know. Thank you.

Reply #11 May 30, 2010 12:27 PM
I dd not get a chance to change layers around yesterday, so I slept on the M/S/F configuration again last night. I woke up at 3AM with terrible low back pain. So I just now took off the soft layer altogether and will try a night or two with just M/F.

Hopefully, from there I'll be able to determine if I need a XF or another F layer. And if that's too firm, then a 1" to 2" soft or medium topper would probably help, right?

Reply #12 May 30, 2010 5:24 PM
Do you think you mattress cover is really really tight?  As in had to stuff the latex in to fit?  If so that could make it firm and no small back support.  Is the mattress cover kinda stiff?  This is when I had lower back pain/small of back pain.

I would call Sleepeze and tell them the situation and ask if they have a 2" layer to replace it with. Could be the cover is to tight. Or you may have to put the 2" over the whole mattress and put something soft and thin over that.

I guess it could be too soft, but you never said if you sink in too much, only you know, and if so then okay you need firmer.  How are your shoulders?  Are you a side sleeper, or only back?

Keep us posted, and good luck.  What is your weight I forgot, if I ever knew.

This message was modified May 30, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #13 May 30, 2010 6:39 PM
Leo, the cover isn't too tight. It was perfect when I switched the layers around last week, but when I went to remove the soft today it was a little wrnkly, like it ws too loose. I don't know if that is the problem.

I'm tall and weigh about 190 lbs. give or take a few from day to the next. I do think the bed is too soft, or just not supportive enough in the bottom layers. Also, to complicate things further, I sleep on my back AND both sides. 

I was going to change my order to M/F/XF or upgrade to a 13,000, but by the time I could call my bed was on the way out the door.

Reply #14 May 30, 2010 6:55 PM
Your choices are soft (22-24 ILD), medium (30-32 ILD), firm (38-40 ILD), extra firm (44 ILD) copied from Sleep eze site for my and your reference.

Can't remember if you have natural or blended.  If 2.8" or 3", and if natural a bit firmer.  Refresh my memory please.  I have 8.5" over a mattress (LOL) so I would bottom out if the layers weren't firm underneath and a mattress.  I would definitely call Shawn tomorrow, oops Tuesday (holiday remember) and tell him your weight once again, and your situation.  Perhaps you can add another layer and mail back the cover to get a 13,000.  Or if they won't do that, option 1 add another layer over the mattress top like Mark has done, and some of us others (me).

You are close to my weight so you may need more layers, or firmer layers.  but I still would want a comfort layer of 24ILD (S) .  Can they do what Flobeds does and request a higher ILD of the top layer?  Not sure if 22 to 24 is that big of a difference.  But your medium and firm may be the lower ILD's, if label doesn't say, then SOL.  I almost think you should try changing the medium to firm, and the firm (MAYBE) to extrafirm.  Just throwing ideas out there.

Did you read the persons posting under yours, they have a 13,000 and the husband has lower back back, and the wife feels it is too hard.  So Princess and the pea.  I think they said it is on a box spring.  Personally I think you may consider either a Euroslat or ???  It is so hard to figure out for someone else, let alone myself.  I know people think I am nuts having a spring mattress and then 8 1/2" latex, but you know what?  It works for me.  I like the springiness and I didn't like laying anywhere near the hard springs.

Do you still have your box springs to try putting the latex on?

I was going to say put the S over the F, and then the M for tonight to see how that is.

P.S. Put your frame on the floor and see if that firms up the latex and stops your squeaks (LOL).

This message was modified May 30, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #15 May 30, 2010 10:10 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Do you still have your box springs to try putting the latex on?

I was going to say put the S over the F, and then the M for tonight to see how that is.

P.S. Put your frame on the floor and see if that firms up the latex and stops your squeaks (LOL).

Hi Leo. No, no box springs, but I wish I did have some.

I already had the soft in between the firm and medium (med. on top) and that was worse then the F/M/S.

I actually did consider putting the foundation on the floor, too. Maybe I will try that tonight.

Reply #16 May 31, 2010 10:37 AM
Foundation on foor - no rattles, creaks, bumps or other noises. So I guess I need to put legs on the thing or get a better frame. One thing I noticed is that it was way warmer than usual, and I wonder if that's because of the lack of air flow under the foundation when it'son the floor.

As for comfort. It wasn't perfect but I have much less pain than I did the last few nights. Maybe a little bit from sleeping on my side. It's hard to tell though because I didn't sleep very well because I was too warm.

Reply #17 May 31, 2010 11:22 AM
What cofiguration did you sleep on?  Have you tried it without the soft?  You can also try with soft on bottom, but I don't think that is a great long term solution.  You may need a wool mattress pad for heat issues.
Reply #18 May 31, 2010 12:48 PM
sandman wrote:

What cofiguration did you sleep on?  Have you tried it without the soft?  You can also try with soft on bottom, but I don't think that is a great long term solution.  You may need a wool mattress pad for heat issues.

I had medium over firm for 6 inch mattress. I didn't want to use soft on the bottom because it just doesn't seem like that would be supportive enough. Prior to this I had med. over soft over firm, and prior to that soft over med. over firm.

The heat issue was not much a problem before last night, so either it was a fluke or there is not enough air circulation under the foundation since it's not raised above the floor for the moment. I will try it like this again tonight and see how it goes.

The metal frame I am using is designed to be used with queen, full or twin mattresses, so there are two adjustable arms that seem to be causing some of the noises (also rattles where the legs attach to the frame). I'm thinking of wrapping tape or cloth around these arms to help reduce the noise.

Reply #19 May 31, 2010 1:37 PM
So, how did it feel with just the 6"?  Too firm or pretty close?  If pretty close, then maybe you want XF for the bottom layer.
Reply #20 May 31, 2010 2:08 PM
sandman wrote:

So, how did it feel with just the 6"?  Too firm or pretty close?  If pretty close, then maybe you want XF for the bottom layer.

I want to say pretty close, in that I woke in much less pain. I've been laying on it, reading, off and on this morning to see if it gets too warm. It feels slightly too hard while I'm on my side and something is not quite right while on my back.

I think you are right about wanting an XF layer. Then maybe an inch or two soft topper.

Reply #21 May 31, 2010 5:05 PM
Cynicaljones, but did you try S, F, M?  Try that.  I don't think airflow really is the problem.  I think probably the soft on top did suppy more softness and airflow (who knows).

I too had one of those bed metal frames that expanded from king, queen, etc, and we used 4 clamps and still noise!  Do not recommend those, I like a quiet night sleep thank you very much.

Reply #22 May 31, 2010 7:03 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Cynicaljones, but did you try S, F, M?  Try that.  I don't think airflow really is the problem.
I too had one of those bed metal frames that expanded from king, queen, etc, and we used 4 clamps and still noise!  Do not recommend those, I like a quiet night sleep thank you very much.

I am concerned that the soft layer would not be enough t support the layers above plus me, meaning I don't know that it would help and may cause problems, somehow. I don't know that I have scientific facts to back up my concerns, though.

As for the heat problem, it could have been that I ate too much yesterday and my metabolism was in overddrive.

Yeah, that bed frame is the pits. I paid $60 for it and it's going straight to St. Vinnie's ASAP. I could have bought a set of legs for that money, but, as I said, I didn't want to put holes in the foundation until I knew for certain the bed was right for me. I sat on the beds in the showroom where I bought that thing, thinking they were the same ones.  None made those noises, but they were all bigger beds, so maybe that was why.

Reply #23 May 31, 2010 7:21 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

I am concerned that the soft layer would not be enough t support the layers above plus me, meaning I don't know that it would help and may cause problems, somehow. I don't know that I have scientific facts to back up my concerns, though.

As for the heat problem, it could have been that I ate too much yesterday and my metabolism was in overddrive.

Yeah, that bed frame is the pits. I paid $60 for it and it's going straight to St. Vinnie's ASAP. I could have bought a set of legs for that money, but, as I said, I didn't want to put holes in the foundation until I knew for certain the bed was right for me. I sat on the beds in the showroom where I bought that thing, thinking they were the same ones.  None made those noises, but they were all bigger beds, so maybe that was why.

I mean put the soft on top, then firm, then medium at the bottom.  No I didn't mean put the soft under anything else, leave it on top.  I don't think you have tried that yet, have you?

Are you using a mattress pad that makes it hotter?

Reply #24 May 31, 2010 7:35 PM
Leo3 wrote:

I mean put the soft on top, then firm, then medium at the bottom.  No I didn't mean put the soft under anything else, leave it on top.  I don't think you have tried that yet, have you?

Are you using a mattress pad that makes it hotter?

Ah, OK. I misunderstood you. I'll try the current configuration for a few days, and then I'll try your suggestion.

The mattress pad is actually more of just a protector,  it's very thin. This one, which was recommended by someone here.

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #25 May 31, 2010 7:55 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Ah, OK. I misunderstood you. I'll try the current configuration for a few days, and then I'll try your suggestion.

The mattress pad is actually more of just a protector,  it's very thin. This one, which was recommended by someone here.

Does the protector come with 4 feet and a baby?  What a funny picture to show the matttress pad, LOL.  I am not sure why you would need a dust mite cover when they claim latex is mite resistant.  Anyway, if you are still hot I would try removing that to see.

Reply #26 May 31, 2010 9:24 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Does the protector come with 4 feet and a baby?  What a funny picture to show the matttress pad, LOL.  I am not sure why you would need a dust mite cover when they claim latex is mite resistant.  Anyway, if you are still hot I would try removing that to see.

LOL. I got that particular cover because it was both thin and water resistant. Also, it was reasonably priced, though I see the price has gone up some.  Plus it came highly recommended by someone on this forum, just can't remember who right now. I think they were showing that you can safely play with unpredictable babies without ruining your bed. I'm surprised they did not also show puppies, kittens and glasses of red wine.

Reply #27 Jun 1, 2010 10:57 AM
Last night I had a good night's sleep. I did NOT want to get up this morning. No overheating, and no pain until I tried to sleep on my back.  I want to give this configuration a few more days, then maybe I'll try the firm layer on top to compare.
This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #28 Jun 1, 2010 11:51 AM
cynicaljones wrote:

Last night I had a good night's sleep. I did NOT want to get up this morning. No overheating, and no pain until I tried to sleep on my back.  I want to give this configuration a few more days, then maybe I'll try the firm layer on top to compare.

Glad that you are making progress.  Was the foundation still on the floor?  The overheating might have been just a one night thing.  I doubt the air circulating under would make much difference.   But still, probably better to have it off the ground (if possible) eventually.

I think that it will be hard to find a configuration that works for all sleeping positions. So, you just have to pick what works best overall. 

So, you are going to try just Firm over medium (6" total)?

Reply #29 Jun 1, 2010 1:37 PM
I may just try firm over medium or firm over soft over medium.

Yep the foundation is on the floor, still. I hate the idea of putting it back on that frame, but am not yet ready to drill holes in the foundation. And I also don't want to waste any more money right now. Since I'm probably going to eventually dump the frame, I'll try some padding and tape and whatnot to try and silence it.

Reply #30 Jun 1, 2010 2:17 PM
I can't remember what was causing the noise from your frame, but have you tried WD-40 at the various joints and wheel connections?  That has worked for me in the past with a squeaky frame.
Reply #31 Jun 1, 2010 3:00 PM
I have often used a soft layer under firmer layers. Sometimes it works at least for awhile. IMHO anything is worth a try, then you know. And no one else can tell you what will work for you, so you just have to try it and find out. Never be afraid to think outside the box especially if it's relatively easy and cheap to try.
Reply #32 Jun 1, 2010 5:44 PM
OK! I think I have, at least temporarily, solved the worst frame noise problem. Issue 1 is that the frame seems a bit off-kilter and the arms didn't stay locked together. When I first brought it home, there was no extra hardware so I missed the fact that there are little square holes on the arms. The guy had said, "once you put the foundatiojn on it, it's not going anywhere".

I looked around the garage and managed to find some short screws, washers and nuts and was able to cobble together a solution that should work in the short term. I anticipate that the screws will loosen themselves soon, but it will work for now. Issue 2 is there is a rattling noise where the legs/wheels connect to the frame. Not much I can do about that, really, but it's nowhere near as annoying as the other noise was.

The foundation is now back on the frame and I'm going to try another night with medium over firm. Tomoorow will try firm over medium or firm over soft over medium. I think. I just don't know anymore. Last night was pretty good though.

This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #33 Jun 2, 2010 3:59 PM
The frame I had did have it fitted correctly, but the groove in the hole locked.  But it still made noise, we put clamps on it and that helped.  But it still made noise.  Maybe the wood isn't level (frame) and then when you move during the night it clangs on the metal frame.

You still haven't tried soft, firm, medium (top to bottom) have you?  You just don't like the soft at all?

Reply #34 Jun 2, 2010 4:17 PM
Leo3 wrote:

You still haven't tried soft, firm, medium (top to bottom) have you?  You just don't like the soft at all?

I may try that tonight. Depends on how much energy I have at the end of the day. I wanted to give the medium over firm some time. So far, that has felt the best to me, except my back hurts when I am on my back for any length of time.

Reply #35 Jun 2, 2010 5:15 PM
OK, I decided to take a break from work and switched the layers, medium on bottom and firm on top. It's hard to tell without spending several hours on it, but I like the way it feels. I want to try that for a couple nights, then I'll add the soft on top of the firm.

But truly, even though the soft feels good to lay on, I just don't think it's supportive enough for me. I know we've all heard it before, but sometimes, what feels good is not necessarily what's good for us.

Reply #36 Jun 3, 2010 11:41 AM
Last night, firm over medium felt great! I'll give it a few more nights before I try the soft layer on over all that. I still can't sleep on my back without pain, though. I think my previous sleeping arrangement (old dented couch) made that possible. I'll bet I need an adjustable bed for back sleeping. Oh well.
Reply #37 Jun 5, 2010 11:20 AM
firm over medium did not feel as great the following nights. I think it was too hard at hip and shoulder areas.

Next up, soft over firm over medium. But I have a feeling that this will be a little too soft, and I'll end up having to exchange at least one layer.

Reply #38 Jun 7, 2010 5:32 PM
Leo, if you're still checking in on this thread. You suggested soft over firm over medium. It feels really luxurious to me, but I am worried it will turn out to be just a bit less supportive than I need.

So, I'll probably want to try a layer exchange soon. Based on what seemed to feel best to me with my previous configurations soft over firm over medium (maybe not quite supportive enough) and medium over firm (a little too firm), I'm thinking maybe an X firm or another firm, and then I can get a 1-2 inch soft topper. Any suggestions, anyone?

Reply #39 Jun 7, 2010 6:23 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Leo, if you're still checking in on this thread. You suggested soft over firm over medium. It feels really luxurious to me, but I am worried it will turn out to be just a bit less supportive than I need.

So, I'll probably want to try a layer exchange soon. Based on what seemed to feel best to me with my previous configurations soft over firm over medium (maybe not quite supportive enough) and medium over firm (a little too firm), I'm thinking maybe an X firm or another firm, and then I can get a 1-2 inch soft topper. Any suggestions, anyone?

Hi Cynicaljones, I am here today, I can't seem to find your weight and height again.  I think you are near my height/weight (not heavy but not thin, LOL, somewhat tall).  I don't recall if you had hip pain or back pain before all of this.  But for me IMHO I need soft for my hip.

Your foundation is not the same as mine, and I believe your foundation has no give (just slats) and I am still not happy (full disclosure same as Jim) with my setup for my hips, but my back is very happy.  I have 3 1/2" 24ILD natural talalay over dunlop, over springs.  So if you have hip pain I can't help much, cause I still am having problems.  But for your back unless you have injuries or other ailments I can't say either, only time will tell, try this setup for a while.  You may just need (again IMHO) medium, over medium over firm.  Or a 2" soft (24ILD) topper.  I have not tried 32ILD and that is near what the medium is for Sleepeze, so I can't say.  I need 24ILD for my shoulders and hips, but that is me. I am middle aged, can't remember what you are, I have more aches and pains than most now.

Sorry I wish I had answers, as it is all different for each of us.  You do need, again IMHO, at least 9" of latex to be sure if you try experimenting again with M, over F.  You only had 6" to experiment with so that wasn't a sure test for you.

Reply #40 Jun 7, 2010 7:29 PM
what is going on with you cjones?

Are you unhappy with SleepEz latex mattress?

And how is that foundation working out for you? I saw photos of it that you posted and it looked flimsy..but I can't tell since I don't have it...

I have low back pain too and if that configuration is not working for you then what configuration would be best for you from your experience with this talalay latex from SleepEz?

Would firm/xfirm/xfirm work?

I read you weigh around 200 lbs too just like me and I am 6 feet 2inces tall and sid esleeper.

Are you a side sleeper.

Please don't take offense at my questions. I know they are a lot.Thank you.

This message was modified Jun 7, 2010 by roy1
Reply #41 Jun 7, 2010 8:39 PM
roy1 wrote:

what is going on with you cjones?

Are you unhappy with SleepEz latex mattress?

And how is that foundation working out for you? I saw photos of it that you posted and it looked flimsy..but I can't tell since I don't have it...

I have low back pain too and if that configuration is not working for you then what configuration would be best for you from your experience with this talalay latex from SleepEz?

Would firm/xfirm/xfirm work?

I read you weigh around 200 lbs too just like me and I am 6 feet 2inces tall and sid esleeper.

Are you a side sleeper.

Please don't take offense at my questions. I know they are a lot.Thank you.

I am NOT unhappy with the SleepEZ mattress. I'm just trying to find the best configuration for me. I like it soft-ish for comfort, but but would like a lot of support underneath. My weight seems to fluctuate quite a bit, but at the moment I am 5'10" @ 191 lbs (and losing weight as summer is almost here).

The foundation seems to be fine, it's not flimsy at all, IMO. The issues I had were with the frame, but since I bolted it together it's much quieter and more stable.

I don't have any real low back issues, so to speak. No injuries or chronic pain. But I have noticed that I get pain when I try to sleep on my back, something Iused to be able to do when I slept on our ratty old sofa.

I bought the mattress from SleepEz and I have plenty of time to do layer exchanges, but I would like to keep them to a minimum. I am hoping to find a happy medium between the feel of the medium over firm and the way I have it now. The way it is now feels really wonderful in that I can feel the latex squishing up and filling spaces, and I like the way my shoulds sink in, but I am afraid it's going to need to be a little more supportive. I am not averse to going XF, F, M and then adding and inch or three of soft (at some point).

Recent Posts