Desperate for a good night's sleep. Looking at toppers.
Sep 25, 2011 5:25 PM
I have not had a good night's sleep for over four years due to hip pain...both sides.  I am only a side sleeper so have to be on one hip or the other.

Bought a new Simmons Beauty Rest for $2,000 two years ago but it was too soft and caused low back pain as bad as the hip pain.  Traded for the same mattress but in a firm.  Got a Costco topper and thought I would be all set.  Not. 

Then my husband got cancer and I was sleeping in a lot of cots and chairs in hospitals which didn't help, but still had the same issues when sleeping in my own bed but too worn out as caregiver to do anything about it.

My husband died last October and I'm just now beginning to function well enough to figure out that I have GOT to find a solution so I can get some sleep.  I was waking about every hour and a half to two hours and taking extra strength Tylenol, and putting on analgesic cream to be able to go back to sleep.  This would be sometimes as often as 5 or 6 times a night.

I found a new chiropractor who has helped some, but I still have to slather myself with analgesic and take Tylenol to go to sleep, and still wake up at least 2 or 3 times a night from the hip pain. (sometimes shoulder pain too, but it's nothing like the hip pain which is very deep pain)

I can see my Costco topper is beginning to sag, but it never really did give me relief from the hip pain.....please suggestions.  I don't know were to start.  I am 68 and am 5'3" and 155 pounds.

Thank you for pointing me in some direction to find relief.

Ginger

Re: Desperate for a good night's sleep. Looking at toppers.
Reply #16 Oct 4, 2011 11:50 PM
We recently bought a Simmons Beautyrest firm mattress (because our old plush one started sagging in the middle) and instead of getting a built-in pillowtop, we added two toppers to make it comfortable for side sleeping.  What ended up working best was a 3" Invigo Fresh latex topper (consists of a bottom layer of 1.5" regular foam with a top layer of 1.5" latex foam, all in a terrycloth case) with a 2" zoned convoluted memory foam topper under it.  Together, these toppers have turned this painfully firm mattress into the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on!  It's stiill very supportive because of the firm mattress underneath, but it's very cozy and I get no shoulder, hip or neck stiffness.  Both of these toppers are available on Amazon.com.  The 2" Isotonic 6 Zone memory foam topper was less than $80 for a queen size, and the Invigo Fresh 3" natural latex mattress topper was $264. 
This message was modified Oct 4, 2011 by Vlaurend
Re: Desperate for a good night's sleep. Looking at toppers.
Reply #17 Oct 7, 2011 7:24 PM
Vlaurend,

I had already purchased the SLAB toppers and have spent $600.  I have only slept on them 3 nights and the jury is still out.  The first night wasn't a good test as I had mowed lawn for hours and my hips were really hurting from that all night.  The next night was a good night's sleep, then last night I didn't sleep well again but I don't think it was from pain.  I think my mind wouldn't shut off, so I'm waiting awhile before adding anything, but I might add the one you got from Amazon if I need more cushioning.  Another 1" from SLAB would be another $200.  Thanks for the info.

Ginger

Recent Posts