Desperate for a good night's sleep. Looking at toppers.
Sep 25, 2011 5:25 PM
I have not had a good night's sleep for over four years due to hip pain...both sides.  I am only a side sleeper so have to be on one hip or the other.

Bought a new Simmons Beauty Rest for $2,000 two years ago but it was too soft and caused low back pain as bad as the hip pain.  Traded for the same mattress but in a firm.  Got a Costco topper and thought I would be all set.  Not. 

Then my husband got cancer and I was sleeping in a lot of cots and chairs in hospitals which didn't help, but still had the same issues when sleeping in my own bed but too worn out as caregiver to do anything about it.

My husband died last October and I'm just now beginning to function well enough to figure out that I have GOT to find a solution so I can get some sleep.  I was waking about every hour and a half to two hours and taking extra strength Tylenol, and putting on analgesic cream to be able to go back to sleep.  This would be sometimes as often as 5 or 6 times a night.

I found a new chiropractor who has helped some, but I still have to slather myself with analgesic and take Tylenol to go to sleep, and still wake up at least 2 or 3 times a night from the hip pain. (sometimes shoulder pain too, but it's nothing like the hip pain which is very deep pain)

I can see my Costco topper is beginning to sag, but it never really did give me relief from the hip pain.....please suggestions.  I don't know were to start.  I am 68 and am 5'3" and 155 pounds.

Thank you for pointing me in some direction to find relief.

Ginger

Re: Desperate for a good night's sleep. Looking at toppers.
Reply #6 Sep 26, 2011 9:01 AM
Thank you for the latex recommendation.  I will be checking out that website.  My mattress is a good one and at 2 years old and $2,000 I have to find a way to make it work.  The right topper makes sense.

Ginger

Reply #7 Sep 26, 2011 1:29 PM
sleeplikeabear.com is a good reference for latex toppers.  They're in Nevada.
Reply #8 Sep 27, 2011 7:57 AM
I will be contacting SLAB.  I tried something last night I hoped would work but it didn't help at all.  I turned my Costco foam topper around to sleep on the side that hadn't been being slept on, and put on a cheap egg crate topper.  No help at all.

Ginger

Reply #9 Sep 27, 2011 10:09 AM
Ginger,

I had a Stearns and Foster innerspring plush bed, brand new from Sears for about 4 weeks in June.  They had warned it would firm up after a week or so and it did.  I would imagine that firm Beautyrest firmed up quite a bit and is making things worse.  Think I mentioned before, but I have a not so good right shoulder, injury, arthro surgery years ago.  anyrate, so in July, I exchanged to a very plush iComfort memory foam mattress. Didn't take long to notice there was something special about a memory foam mattress - I could lay much longer on that right shoulder. I would always turn off it quickly before.

Funny thing is I tried a $100 Sleep Innovations 2.5" gel memory foam topper over my latex bed.  Not good.  It slept hot, I sunk in and pressure relief / comfort was not good.

I hope you have good luck with something like a low ILD talalay latex topper.  The top layer of latex on my SleepEZ is about 20.  Maybe something like a 15 ILD would work for you, but check with SLAB.

Reply #10 Sep 27, 2011 11:39 AM
Ginger, I sent you a PM.
Reply #11 Sep 27, 2011 9:43 PM
Doreen, I can't see a way to access a PM ???
Reply #12 Sep 28, 2011 9:11 AM
Just go to the top right, under your name you'll see "Messages".
Reply #13 Sep 29, 2011 2:53 PM
I have had an Omalon foam topper for several years now and on top of that an Ultimate CuddleBed mattress topper from Costco. It's been the perfect blend of soft and firm for me. The Omalon is lifetime guaranteed to retain its firmness. This is what is used in rug pads, so it has to have good support. I had bought mine from JC Penney when they were on clearance. They no longer sell it, but I see it here:

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Omalon-Foam-5Zone-Mattress-Topper.aspx?PfId=187315&DeptId=15164&ProductTypeId=1
This message was modified Sep 29, 2011 by BeddyBye
Reply #14 Sep 29, 2011 4:30 PM
Thank you Beddy-Bye.  I'm keeping this information in case what I ordered isn't right for me, but I am very hopeful!

Ginger

Reply #15 Sep 30, 2011 2:23 PM
Hi, Gingery56,

I would suggest the Rejuvenite topper from Latex International. It comes in firm and plush (not sure what the ILD ratings are on each of them), and it's a 3-inch latex topper with a lovely cover on it (not that the cover matters all that much, but you will need a cover for any latex topper...this one comes with a nice one). I bought mine from Sleep Bargains (here's the link: http://www.shop.choicerest.com/Mattress-Toppers_c3.htm), but you can buy them from a number of retailers. I found that Sleep Bargains had the best price. The topper shipped directly from Latex International. I do love it. I bought the firm topper for a little more support, and then I placed two inches of super-soft latex on top (in the form of a lovely but very pricey latex topper from the Natural Mattress Store in Palo Alto, CA); you might do well to start with a plush topper, since you already have a supportive mattress underneath. I had a rock-hard slab of a mattress to start with...so I loaded up on the latex. Next time, I'm ditching the mattress and going all latex. :)

Hope this helps!

Jen

This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by rowvermont

Recent Posts