"Cool" sheets
Oct 2, 2010 1:33 PM
I dont know how to imbed a link.  But anyone ever try these sheets...

http://www.sleepys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10551&productId=27430&catalogId=10602&langId=-1

When I was at the store I was able to feel a small sample and they really do feel cool and smooth. I was offered a free set of sheets when I bought my BR mattress set and I wanted those but she wouldn't budge on that (I got an el crappo set, figures.)  I am still thinking of trying these.  I can't find reviews anywhere and no one else seems to make them except the S-store. If I hadn't felt them w/ my own little hands I would be skeptical but they felt awesome.  Sleeping on them is another story, of course.

Re: "Cool" sheets
Reply #13 Oct 6, 2010 1:59 PM
sandman wrote:

Thanks.  I tried a cotton/bamboo blend once and did not like them. 

I guess I am really trying to find out if you recommend a particular brand/maker of high quality good value cotton sheets. There are so many out there that it is really hard to figure what is good and what isn't.  There seems to have been a race to get the highest TC which I don't find to be a very good indicator of quality (and breathability). 

I tend to look for long staple, lower  thread count (by today's standards).  Maybe there is not that much of a difference once those criteria are met?  My best success has been with the italian makers that seem to use that approach.

value is pretty subjective....there is no way to produce high quality long staple cotton sheets on the cheap regardless of thread count. 

I carry St. Geneve (guys that make Dormeir mattress pads) and they are fantastic.  Although with anything they have some "entry level" stuff and also some extremely high end.  They do just about every type of fabric you can imagine.  Pricing from moderate to extreme high end.  They have some striped fabrics that are very reasonably priced, My Favourite Sheet Set (thats what its called, not my personal favourite), sells for a reasonable price and is a long staple cotton loomed in Israel.  Allegro is another stripe that is VERY well priced for what it is, 300TC Giza 70 Egyptian cotton loomed in Italy.  They also do a hotel sheet called imperial hotel, its a 205TC Giza 70 loomed in Germany.  Capri fabrics are a little bit pricer than the latter ones mentioned, they are a solid 300TC giza 70 loomed in italy available in 98 different colours.

Other high quaity bedding companies worth checking out:

Sferra, large selection in high quality egyptian cottons, pricing from moderate to very high as well.

SDH, biggest selection of high end organic bedding I have found to date, everything seems to be similar to St. Geneve in that they import what is likely to be the tops of whatever they can find.

Schlossberg, really old bedding maker from switzerland I believe....nice stuff...to me seemed a little over priced for most of their patterns since I believe everything they do is a print, not a yarn dyed weave.

Matouk, nothing crazy high end that I know of, although they have some very well priced simple percale and sateen sheet sets that are supposed to be very high quality)

Reply #14 Oct 6, 2010 2:31 PM
alllll righty then. I am going to shut my mouth with my ever so humble suggestion of Lands end.

Reply #15 Oct 6, 2010 4:43 PM
Thanks, I'll look into Land's End and some of the ones Budgy mentioned. 

Budgy, are the St. Geneve generously cut or do they tend to get a bit tight after washed?  Same question for Land's End?

Reply #16 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
perhaps a little over generous if anything.  but they recommend ordering fitted sheets 3" deeper than your mattress depth. 
Reply #17 Oct 7, 2010 11:23 AM
Budgy what is the name brand of your favorite fitted sheets? From where can one get them? on internet may be?

Budgy what would you recommned as a bed blanket for cool weather NOT cold weather but cool weather like it is right now at nights atleast here in Texas.

Thanks

Reply #18 Oct 7, 2010 11:27 AM
in my experience using lands end sheets for years and years, they always fit excellently even after repeated washing.  Not as fancy and hifallutin as the ones budgy mentioned but very nice quality sheets imo. And everything is 100% returnable at any time (seriously) so you can try, wash, etc and if no go, return for full refund. 
Reply #19 Oct 7, 2010 2:08 PM
Sheets have certainly changed since I last bought any, in the late '80s to 1997 or so.   I bought percale then, and they were all a dense weave and a hard finished thread, and felt slick and "cool."    The cotton sheets they sell now all seem to have a sueded finish.   I hate that.  I hate microfiber polyester, too. 

That hard finish & slick weave of the old-style percales made a nice sheet that lasted forever.    I recently looked at sheets, and boy, was I disappointed.   I'll have to check out the Lands End stuff.    Otherwise, maybe I'll dye my old "bubble gum" '80s colors into the taupe and green and whatever that I need for my new comforter sets.

Those old percales were made in the USA, too.   My parents have some that were wedding gifts to them in 1950 that are still usable today.   I have some of those oldies for my full size bed.   Somehow, I think most of what is sold for exorbitant prices today will not last very long.   ;-)

This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by TC2334
Reply #20 Oct 7, 2010 3:26 PM
roy1 wrote:

Budgy what is the name brand of your favorite fitted sheets? From where can one get them? on internet may be?

Budgy what would you recommned as a bed blanket for cool weather NOT cold weather but cool weather like it is right now at nights atleast here in Texas.

Thanks

Hey Roy, they are called "My Favourite Sheets" made by St. Geneve. 

What kind of blankets/duvets are you using right now that it isn't warm enough in Texas?  I have to ask because I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. 

Reply #21 Oct 7, 2010 3:32 PM
TC2334 wrote:

Sheets have certainly changed since I last bought any, in the late '80s to 1997 or so.   I bought percale then, and they were all a dense weave and a hard finished thread, and felt slick and "cool."    The cotton sheets they sell now all seem to have a sueded finish.   I hate that.  I hate microfiber polyester, too. 

That hard finish & slick weave of the old-style percales made a nice sheet that lasted forever.    I recently looked at sheets, and boy, was I disappointed.   I'll have to check out the Lands End stuff.    Otherwise, maybe I'll dye my old "bubble gum" '80s colors into the taupe and green and whatever that I need for my new comforter sets.

Those old percales were made in the USA, too.   My parents have some that were wedding gifts to them in 1950 that are still usable today.   I have some of those oldies for my full size bed.   Somehow, I think most of what is sold for exorbitant prices today will not last very long.   ;-)

You definitely want to buy a high quality percale sheet then.  It really is a shame that the bedding industry has changed so much.  Back in 1965 about 90% of all textiles sold in North America were domestically made (in Canada or US).  By 1995 the number had already dropped to about 5% and has gone down since.  In terms of sheeting there is hardly anything made domestically now. 

Reply #22 Oct 7, 2010 8:09 PM
It must be a full moon.  After spilling a cup of coffee on my wireless keyboard and having a meltdown of the keyboard and computer, the network went down.  I only was trying to post something about the sheets I bought at Sears the Jersey cotton sheets.  They were so soft at the beginning and fit really well.  But after a month or so of washing they started to pill.  I looked at Lands Ends jersey sheets and they got bad reviews.

Too bad they don't make good ones either, unless someone posts here otherwise guess I will keep buying the Sears ones.  Jersey sheets are the only thing that does not cause hip pain (they stretch).

This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts