"Cool" sheets
Oct 2, 2010 1:33 PM
I dont know how to imbed a link.  But anyone ever try these sheets...

http://www.sleepys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10551&productId=27430&catalogId=10602&langId=-1

When I was at the store I was able to feel a small sample and they really do feel cool and smooth. I was offered a free set of sheets when I bought my BR mattress set and I wanted those but she wouldn't budge on that (I got an el crappo set, figures.)  I am still thinking of trying these.  I can't find reviews anywhere and no one else seems to make them except the S-store. If I hadn't felt them w/ my own little hands I would be skeptical but they felt awesome.  Sleeping on them is another story, of course.

Re: "Cool" sheets
Reply #1 Oct 2, 2010 2:20 PM
Cotton is good and breathable, however with the thread count listed at 500 these are most certainly twisted 2 ply yarns (250 thread count, 500 strand count).  They will feel smooth, although less breathable than a single ply cotton percale or sateen sheet. 
Reply #2 Oct 5, 2010 10:48 PM
requin wrote:

I dont know how to imbed a link.  But anyone ever try these sheets...

http://www.sleepys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10551&productId=27430&catalogId=10602&langId=-1

When I was at the store I was able to feel a small sample and they really do feel cool and smooth. I was offered a free set of sheets when I bought my BR mattress set and I wanted those but she wouldn't budge on that (I got an el crappo set, figures.)  I am still thinking of trying these.  I can't find reviews anywhere and no one else seems to make them except the S-store. If I hadn't felt them w/ my own little hands I would be skeptical but they felt awesome.  Sleeping on them is another story, of course.

Here's the embedded link:

Never tried them but the link says nothing about them except that they are 500 count cotton. How do you get 3 different feels from the same 500 count cotton sheets??

In my experience 500 count is too much. Feels soft but does not breathe as well as, say 350-380 count cotton sheets.

Reply #3 Oct 5, 2010 10:49 PM
When I slept 'hot' on my latex mattress, I did some research on 'tempurature regulating' bedding and found bedding made with 'Outlast Technology'.  'Outlast Technology' is supposed to keep the body at a comfortable tempurature.  It's pretty pricey, but Costco sells the bedding at pretty reasonable prices (as compared to other websites).

Here is the link to the bedding at Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11491542&search=outlast%20sheets&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=outlast%20sheets&Ntt=outlast%20sheets&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

I solved my sleeping 'hot' problem by getting rid of the foundation (with a solid top) and replacing it with something that breathes (my old boxspring).  So I stopped researching.  I don't know if this bedding actually works or not.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by BellasMom
Reply #4 Oct 6, 2010 1:54 AM
jimsocal wrote:

Here's the embedded link:

Never tried them but the link says nothing about them except that they are 500 count cotton. How do you get 3 different feels from the same 500 count cotton sheets??

In my experience 500 count is too much. Feels soft but does not breathe as well as, say 350-380 count cotton sheets.

My guess is they are just playing with different weave types...so maybe you are choosing from percale or sateen (percale would breathe slightly better, sateen would have a smoother surface).  Not sure what the 3rd option would be...twill?  or perhaps this is some kind of chemical treatmant?  sounds bizarre.

Reply #5 Oct 6, 2010 11:09 AM
I tried Outlast, it did nothing for me.

Re: the "Cool" sheets.  I don't know what they did to them to make them feel cool, all I know is they really did feel cool when I felt the material in the store. I'm no dummy when it comes to sheets, I've tried and own many types so I know what different ones feel like.  I never felt any before that were as cool as these...but that's just feeling with one's hand.  Sleeping could be entirely different and they might trap body heat. Although I've got some high thread count 100% cotton sheets (from Lands end) that don't trap heat anymore than the lower thread count sheets.  *shrug* I don't know.  It's not a big deal. One of these days when I feel like blowing money, I'll buy a set of these and try them.  I'm not having heat issues now anyway since I removed all my useless expensive toppers!!!  But these cool feeling sheets might be a nice extravagance in summer...

Reply #6 Oct 6, 2010 11:20 AM
I tried an Outlast mattress pad.  Overall it did not work.  It seemed cooler for an hour or 2, but eventually the heat built up.  Kind of like it was storing the heat for a while, but eventually it had no way to disperse it.

Right now I am using Italian made Bellino 200TC long staple egyptian cotton Hotel sheets.  I got  a good deal on these on ebay (they are pretty expensive otherwise).  They are pretty nice, and seem fairly breathable.  Initially I was worried about too low of a thread count (comfort wise), but I have come to realize that the length and weave of the cotton are more important.

They are similiar to the Frette Hotel sheet collection, which I used before these.

Budgy, or anone else, any other recommendation in all cotton breathable sheets?   I know you like linen as well, which I might try some day.

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by sandman
Reply #7 Oct 6, 2010 11:27 AM
Hi sandman. 

I buy my sheets from Lands End and I've got a few different types and I love them all, quite frankly. I always go w/ 100% cotton (of course), I have some sateen and some "regular"..(I always get the ones in the Overstock section; they're quite a bit cheaper).  I think though that my favorites are the percales, of which I only own one set atm. TC is probably 200.  I like the slightly "rough" feel, crisp and slightly cool. 

I'm a bit of a sheet addict lol..I love new sheets, and never need more but can't help buying more whenever I"m messing around in Lands End on line.  The Cool sheets at sleepy's are the only ones in a store I've ever been tempted by.

Hey sandman, why don't you try the Cool sheets and bring back a report?  : )))

Reply #8 Oct 6, 2010 11:41 AM
requin wrote:

Hi sandman. 

I buy my sheets from Lands End and I've got a few different types and I love them all, quite frankly. I always go w/ 100% cotton (of course), I have some sateen and some "regular"..(I always get the ones in the Overstock section; they're quite a bit cheaper).  I think though that my favorites are the percales, of which I only own one set atm. TC is probably 200.  I like the slightly "rough" feel, crisp and slightly cool. 

I'm a bit of a sheet addict lol..I love new sheets, and never need more but can't help buying more whenever I"m messing around in Lands End on line.  The Cool sheets at sleepy's are the only ones in a store I've ever been tempted by.

Hey sandman, why don't you try the Cool sheets and bring back a report?  : )))

Nice try!  I am pretty happy with my Bellino sheets.  I see no explanation why these sheets are cooler than anything else.

I am always keeping my eyes open though for a replacement for when mine wear out.  My one complaint would be that they could be cut a bit a bit deeper.  I think european mattresses tend to be thinner, so the european made sheets are not always as deep.

Reply #9 Oct 6, 2010 11:57 AM
Other than good cotton or linen, the other good breathable options would be Tencel (Micro Modal, or Lenzing Modal....very pricey), and or bamboo....although personally I would not sleep on bamboo sheets. 

Hemp sheets or hemp blended with ramie would probably be quite breathable and refreshing as well.  Although compared to a high quality fine linen would feel rather course and not as luxurious.

Reply #10 Oct 6, 2010 12:16 PM
Thanks.  I tried a cotton/bamboo blend once and did not like them. 

I guess I am really trying to find out if you recommend a particular brand/maker of high quality good value cotton sheets. There are so many out there that it is really hard to figure what is good and what isn't.  There seems to have been a race to get the highest TC which I don't find to be a very good indicator of quality (and breathability). 

I tend to look for long staple, lower  thread count (by today's standards).  Maybe there is not that much of a difference once those criteria are met?  My best success has been with the italian makers that seem to use that approach.

Reply #11 Oct 6, 2010 12:36 PM
you don't like Lands End sheets?
Reply #12 Oct 6, 2010 12:42 PM
budgy wrote:

Other than good cotton or linen, the other good breathable options would be Tencel (Micro Modal, or Lenzing Modal....very pricey), and or bamboo....although personally I would not sleep on bamboo sheets. 

Hemp sheets or hemp blended with ramie would probably be quite breathable and refreshing as well.  Although compared to a high quality fine linen would feel rather course and not as luxurious.

when I bought my BR from sleepy's i was supposed to get a set of their Bliss or Serenity Outlast (I forget which one) for free. The ones I got when mattress was delivered were neither, they were some cheap cotton knock-off...I didn't feel like making a fuss about it at the time.  Probably should have just so I could try the other ones, but I know at the store when I felt the fabric of what i was offered, I was not impressed. It was not 100% cotton and I'm skeptical of claims of breathability.

Reply #13 Oct 6, 2010 1:59 PM
sandman wrote:

Thanks.  I tried a cotton/bamboo blend once and did not like them. 

I guess I am really trying to find out if you recommend a particular brand/maker of high quality good value cotton sheets. There are so many out there that it is really hard to figure what is good and what isn't.  There seems to have been a race to get the highest TC which I don't find to be a very good indicator of quality (and breathability). 

I tend to look for long staple, lower  thread count (by today's standards).  Maybe there is not that much of a difference once those criteria are met?  My best success has been with the italian makers that seem to use that approach.

value is pretty subjective....there is no way to produce high quality long staple cotton sheets on the cheap regardless of thread count. 

I carry St. Geneve (guys that make Dormeir mattress pads) and they are fantastic.  Although with anything they have some "entry level" stuff and also some extremely high end.  They do just about every type of fabric you can imagine.  Pricing from moderate to extreme high end.  They have some striped fabrics that are very reasonably priced, My Favourite Sheet Set (thats what its called, not my personal favourite), sells for a reasonable price and is a long staple cotton loomed in Israel.  Allegro is another stripe that is VERY well priced for what it is, 300TC Giza 70 Egyptian cotton loomed in Italy.  They also do a hotel sheet called imperial hotel, its a 205TC Giza 70 loomed in Germany.  Capri fabrics are a little bit pricer than the latter ones mentioned, they are a solid 300TC giza 70 loomed in italy available in 98 different colours.

Other high quaity bedding companies worth checking out:

Sferra, large selection in high quality egyptian cottons, pricing from moderate to very high as well.

SDH, biggest selection of high end organic bedding I have found to date, everything seems to be similar to St. Geneve in that they import what is likely to be the tops of whatever they can find.

Schlossberg, really old bedding maker from switzerland I believe....nice stuff...to me seemed a little over priced for most of their patterns since I believe everything they do is a print, not a yarn dyed weave.

Matouk, nothing crazy high end that I know of, although they have some very well priced simple percale and sateen sheet sets that are supposed to be very high quality)

Reply #14 Oct 6, 2010 2:31 PM
alllll righty then. I am going to shut my mouth with my ever so humble suggestion of Lands end.

Reply #15 Oct 6, 2010 4:43 PM
Thanks, I'll look into Land's End and some of the ones Budgy mentioned. 

Budgy, are the St. Geneve generously cut or do they tend to get a bit tight after washed?  Same question for Land's End?

Reply #16 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
perhaps a little over generous if anything.  but they recommend ordering fitted sheets 3" deeper than your mattress depth. 
Reply #17 Oct 7, 2010 11:23 AM
Budgy what is the name brand of your favorite fitted sheets? From where can one get them? on internet may be?

Budgy what would you recommned as a bed blanket for cool weather NOT cold weather but cool weather like it is right now at nights atleast here in Texas.

Thanks

Reply #18 Oct 7, 2010 11:27 AM
in my experience using lands end sheets for years and years, they always fit excellently even after repeated washing.  Not as fancy and hifallutin as the ones budgy mentioned but very nice quality sheets imo. And everything is 100% returnable at any time (seriously) so you can try, wash, etc and if no go, return for full refund. 
Reply #19 Oct 7, 2010 2:08 PM
Sheets have certainly changed since I last bought any, in the late '80s to 1997 or so.   I bought percale then, and they were all a dense weave and a hard finished thread, and felt slick and "cool."    The cotton sheets they sell now all seem to have a sueded finish.   I hate that.  I hate microfiber polyester, too. 

That hard finish & slick weave of the old-style percales made a nice sheet that lasted forever.    I recently looked at sheets, and boy, was I disappointed.   I'll have to check out the Lands End stuff.    Otherwise, maybe I'll dye my old "bubble gum" '80s colors into the taupe and green and whatever that I need for my new comforter sets.

Those old percales were made in the USA, too.   My parents have some that were wedding gifts to them in 1950 that are still usable today.   I have some of those oldies for my full size bed.   Somehow, I think most of what is sold for exorbitant prices today will not last very long.   ;-)

This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by TC2334
Reply #20 Oct 7, 2010 3:26 PM
roy1 wrote:

Budgy what is the name brand of your favorite fitted sheets? From where can one get them? on internet may be?

Budgy what would you recommned as a bed blanket for cool weather NOT cold weather but cool weather like it is right now at nights atleast here in Texas.

Thanks

Hey Roy, they are called "My Favourite Sheets" made by St. Geneve. 

What kind of blankets/duvets are you using right now that it isn't warm enough in Texas?  I have to ask because I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. 

Reply #21 Oct 7, 2010 3:32 PM
TC2334 wrote:

Sheets have certainly changed since I last bought any, in the late '80s to 1997 or so.   I bought percale then, and they were all a dense weave and a hard finished thread, and felt slick and "cool."    The cotton sheets they sell now all seem to have a sueded finish.   I hate that.  I hate microfiber polyester, too. 

That hard finish & slick weave of the old-style percales made a nice sheet that lasted forever.    I recently looked at sheets, and boy, was I disappointed.   I'll have to check out the Lands End stuff.    Otherwise, maybe I'll dye my old "bubble gum" '80s colors into the taupe and green and whatever that I need for my new comforter sets.

Those old percales were made in the USA, too.   My parents have some that were wedding gifts to them in 1950 that are still usable today.   I have some of those oldies for my full size bed.   Somehow, I think most of what is sold for exorbitant prices today will not last very long.   ;-)

You definitely want to buy a high quality percale sheet then.  It really is a shame that the bedding industry has changed so much.  Back in 1965 about 90% of all textiles sold in North America were domestically made (in Canada or US).  By 1995 the number had already dropped to about 5% and has gone down since.  In terms of sheeting there is hardly anything made domestically now. 

Reply #22 Oct 7, 2010 8:09 PM
It must be a full moon.  After spilling a cup of coffee on my wireless keyboard and having a meltdown of the keyboard and computer, the network went down.  I only was trying to post something about the sheets I bought at Sears the Jersey cotton sheets.  They were so soft at the beginning and fit really well.  But after a month or so of washing they started to pill.  I looked at Lands Ends jersey sheets and they got bad reviews.

Too bad they don't make good ones either, unless someone posts here otherwise guess I will keep buying the Sears ones.  Jersey sheets are the only thing that does not cause hip pain (they stretch).

This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #23 Oct 7, 2010 9:05 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread but it sort of answered my question. I am also looking for some quality cool-sleeping sheets.

I'm checking out some of Budgy's reccomendations and it seems like most of them have deep pockets (15" and up). I just bought a SleepEZ 10,000 queen (thanks you guys for the help btw). It is listed as being 10" deep and I understand you should order pockets that are 2-3" deeper than that measurement. Any suggestions? I was going to check out Matouk (the factory store isn't too far from me) but they are all 17-18" !!!!

Reply #24 Oct 7, 2010 9:14 PM
although, what if I end up wanting to add some sort of a topper...I guess I should have some room to grow especially if i am going to make a big sheet investment. Can I secure a larger fitted sheet somehow? What to do?
Reply #25 Oct 7, 2010 9:20 PM
if you might end up getting a topper you will want a sheet bigger than what you need right now. 

you will probably want to ask Matouk if their sheets are pre-shrunk or not...sometimes a 17" sheet will end up being a little smaller after its been laundered.  most of the high end stuff is not pre-washed but they cut accordingly to how much the warp and weft yarns are supposed to shrink.

Reply #27 Oct 7, 2010 10:19 PM
they are a fitted sheet...unless they are really huge you should be able to tuck a fair bit of the extra fabric under the mattress.  those guys have good pricing for US customers. 
Reply #28 Oct 7, 2010 10:23 PM
It seems they have a US and Canadian version of the site......hmmmm?

Maybe I'll give those a try. Would these still fall in the cool/comfortable/good quality realm? I know they are bit cheaper than some of the other ones mentioned here.

Reply #29 Oct 7, 2010 10:24 PM
Those "my favorite sheets" from www.beddingsuperstore.com are awesome, my wife only buys those ones.   Regarding that fitted sheet comment, they have an elastic around the entire sheet, so it will fit even if they are too big :)  Your gonna love these sheets!
This message was modified Feb 21, 2012 by a moderator
Reply #30 Oct 7, 2010 10:26 PM
Thanks Jim, feeling pretty good about these. Would you say they are good at not getting too hot?
Reply #31 Oct 25, 2010 12:15 PM
*edit - oops I removed this post because I figured out my problem but Budgy responded before I removed it (thanks Budgy!!)
This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by jtpoulin
Reply #32 Oct 25, 2010 12:19 PM
they do take a while to get, when we run out of stock it takes about 4 weeks to get them.  and we are very close to the manufacturer,  everything these guys make is essentially done custom.  they buy the fabric in bulk and make the sheet sets themselves where as most sheets are already imported as completed sets and readily distributed.
Reply #33 Oct 25, 2010 12:29 PM
thanks Budgy!!
Reply #34 Oct 26, 2010 10:23 AM
I currently live without air conditioning, and sleep on the 2nd floor.    If you want really low price, and "cool", the cotton sheets sold by Family Dollar really are not bad.  They are thin, and cost $15 for full, $20 for queen, or thereabouts.  They have a hard finish, and I bought the taupe and the olive green and they wash up well and didn't fade.   Excellent for cheap sheets, I think.   But very thin.   I really liked them when it was sweltering hot up there. 

I really can't stand microfiber, sateen weaves, sueded finishes, jersey, or about 95% of what's out there on the shelves.  I am so glad that I have a huge stockpile of old percales, lol.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2010 by TC2334
Reply #35 Feb 20, 2012 7:50 PM
"Outlast" sheets are mostly polyester and polyester is  not cool and  there is no reason they should be so expensive
Reply #36 Feb 20, 2012 7:54 PM
If your mattress pad makes you feel lik eyou are in Iraq in july , your sheets will become irrelevant so make sure your mattress pad is 100% cotton inside and out. Outlast seems like a scam to me . there is nothing about their materials that would make them cool.
Reply #37 Feb 21, 2012 1:12 PM
Egyption cotton is probably the best alternative for sheets . Egyption cotton sheets , unlike other types of cotton sheets, don't need to have high thread counts in order to be soft .300TC Egyption cotton sheets will be more breathable and cooler than non - egyption   600 TC sheets.

Recent Posts