Wool topper
Mar 13, 2010 3:42 PM
I have been looking at click here Natura wool toppers.  There also is a cotton backed on that is not washable.

Anyone here have one of these?

Budgie, what is your opinion.  I know you sell these.  I am super sensitive, so if the backing is stiff, wrinkled or bulky I will hate it.  That is why I don't want stuff wool toppers, they stitch on the top of them, painful!  The one I am looking at is the wool on top mattress pad that has polyester backing and is washable.  The reversible is not washable.  Not sure this would even fit in the washer.  Budgie, opinion please?

Thanks.

P.S. My hope is this will make the latex firmer, and I think it will by my blanket I put on the top, and when I use tighter jersey sheets.wink

This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by Leo3
Re: Wool topper
Reply #20 Mar 28, 2010 3:29 PM
Budgy, A question you didn't answer was what is the "usual" lifespan of wool.  A year?  Two?  I hope longer.  I know it gets crushed.

I read on my wool topper package it helps pressure points.  It doesn't really for my hips.  Does REALLY anything help the hip pressure points?

I am having to train myself to sleep on my back, and I am fighting it.  But it is the only way I can sleep 4-5 hours straight.  I am a side sleeper by choice, but my hips won't let me anymore.  I keep trying, and after 1-2 hours pain and wakeup.

I just wonder if I would have bought the thicker wool if that would have helped the pressure points.

I still love the cozy feeling, but I can tell it isn't going to last, it will flatten in time (the wool).

Reply #21 Mar 28, 2010 3:33 PM
the wool will compress somewhat early on, but the fibres themselves will last a long time.  I honestly don't know if anyone can answer that question for you fully, because it depends on how its all treated and of course whether or not you still find it beneficial after some compression.
Reply #22 Mar 28, 2010 5:55 PM
So you don't think anything can help with hip pain? 
This message was modified Mar 28, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #23 Mar 28, 2010 11:43 PM
as far as toppers go it isnt going to get much better than this for pressure relief.  what kind of mattress build exactly is this you are putting it on, onto an all latex mattress or latex on top of spring?
Reply #24 Mar 29, 2010 1:09 AM
budgy wrote:

as far as toppers go it isnt going to get much better than this for pressure relief.  what kind of mattress build exactly is this you are putting it on, onto an all latex mattress or latex on top of spring?

5" latex over spring mattress.  The latex top 2" layer is 24ILD or less, and the remaining 3" no ILD listed from O-stock.  So my estimate is 32 ILD or more, who knows?  But I do sink in when I side sleep.

Instead of a 1 1/4" thick wool maybe a 3" wool would be better wouldn't it for pressure relief?  Though I some people have said it made their bed firmer.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #25 Mar 29, 2010 1:28 AM
thats the only tough thing with toppers....it would be so nice to be able to try an item like that on your bed before hand so you know for sure what the end result is going to be.  a slightly thicker wool pad might give you the benefit although most of them have the stitching.  so it sounds like a double edged sword to me in your case.
Reply #26 Mar 29, 2010 4:54 PM
Leo3 wrote:

I slept on the Natura wool on top mattress pad last night, and the new jersey sheets.  It was sooooo soft, and it really did change my body temperature.  I slept on my back for 5 hours and didn't wake up due to being warm (just woke up), it was very cozy.  I turned on my "good hip" side and  2 1/2 hours later I woke up in bad hip pain.  So it did do not perform a miracle there.  crying 

Guess I am a believer on wool now.  I thought the polyester didn't make me sweat like the memory foam mattress did, but it did keep me warmer.

But I can say I am very happy with the quality of the Natura wool on top mattress pad, it was very clean, and packaged nicely.  I would buy from Sears again, they are top notched at shipping, they actually put them in boxes in their original packaging.  I think the Natura topper came directly from Natura because the box had their name imprinted in it.  They did an excellent job of packaging too.  You just don't realize how nice and important that is wink

Thanks to Budgy smiley for helping me decide that this topper was good, and that it had no stitching lines.  I really like it and hope it lasts me for a while.  I won't be able to wash it in my washer.  Unless I get a front loading one, not likely.  I guess I could use a wash cloth and clean like I did my latex pillow.  I am very happy.

Some day I will fix my side sleeping pain.

Was it a pad or a topper you bought?  Does it make any difference?

I just ordered the pad and the description doesn't match what Natura claims for the topper.

Reply #27 Mar 29, 2010 5:47 PM
I ordered mine from Sears, using a coupon code.  Let me see if I can find the link...  Here it is wool on top from Natura.
This message was modified Mar 29, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #28 Mar 29, 2010 6:40 PM
thank you for the speedy reply.  i ordered the same pad directly from natura.  afterwards i saw on the natura link that the "topper" cost more and was described differently from the "pad" which did not make any claims of easing pressure points.  anyhoo, you sounded satisfied with the pad anyway.  i'll stick with my purchase.  i'm looking for better temperature comfort and the pad might help.  5 hours of sleep would be great for me too.
Reply #29 Mar 30, 2010 12:04 AM
Pretty funny that we are thrilled for 5 hours of sleep isn't it? wink

The price was $216 on Natura's website, so was Sear's (unless you find a coupon code).  The package is what said helps with pressure points, I don't think it said that on their website or Sears website.

What are you sleeping on now?

I stand corrected it says "The pads cuddly surface buffers sensitive pressure areas and significantly reduces restless sleep" on Natura's webite.  It also says, "Studies show that those who placed a wool pad on top of their existing mattress slept more soundly, reduced their tossing and turning by over 50 percent".  I believe that, it isn't a cure all, but it does help.  I will take all the help I can.  I did have to straighted it a bit this morning, it moves a little if you toss and turn alot.  I also hand fluffed it this morning (LOL), I expect it will flatten as Budgy said, it stands to reason.

Click here, is this the one you ordered?  That is the same I have, they call it a pad.

This message was modified Mar 30, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts