Wool topper
Mar 13, 2010 3:42 PM
I have been looking at click here Natura wool toppers.  There also is a cotton backed on that is not washable.

Anyone here have one of these?

Budgie, what is your opinion.  I know you sell these.  I am super sensitive, so if the backing is stiff, wrinkled or bulky I will hate it.  That is why I don't want stuff wool toppers, they stitch on the top of them, painful!  The one I am looking at is the wool on top mattress pad that has polyester backing and is washable.  The reversible is not washable.  Not sure this would even fit in the washer.  Budgie, opinion please?

Thanks.

P.S. My hope is this will make the latex firmer, and I think it will by my blanket I put on the top, and when I use tighter jersey sheets.wink

This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by Leo3
Re: Wool topper
Reply #1 Mar 13, 2010 5:13 PM
My brother actually used the washable one for a while.  He quite liked it, although you shouldn't be too surprised that it will lose a fair bit of wool piling during the first couple of wash cycles.  I would personally try to avoid laundering it on a regular basis so that it will last longer, would be a good idea to just take it outside on occasion and let it air out.  I don't think the backing  will be too firm but it will be stiffer than say an actual sheep skin. 
Reply #2 Mar 13, 2010 5:29 PM
Thanks Budgy.  By the way I spelled your name Budgie (even though not your real name).  Do you have parakeets?  LOL.  I have had many of them, just curious by your login name.

You say your brother had it for a while, so no longer uses it?  What about sheepskin not being stiff?  Where do you get that?  I want no stiffness.  Would the one you don't wash be less stiff?

Reply #3 Mar 13, 2010 6:05 PM
Yeah my brother had one on an older mattress and he loved it.  But he got a newer latex mattress and didn't find he needed any additional padding of any kind.  A real sheepskin will be a little bit more flexible since the wool would be actually held in place with skin instead of the poly backing which isn't quite as flexible.  But if your goal is too firm up the latex a little bit im not sure if this will help enough or not.  Perhaps after some of the piling is washed away it will be a little bit firmer though.

I actually kinda got my screen name from what might have been the worlds first 'heavy metal' band, (not very heavy at all on todays standards) welsh rock group "Budgie"...but I like to change things to my liking. 

Reply #4 Mar 13, 2010 6:19 PM
Thanks Budgy.  I looked at Youtube for Budgie, they sound pretty hard rock (heavy metal) to me, LOL.  Learn something new everyday, a Welsh rock band.

Do you sell many of the Natura wool on top toppers?  Is the cotton back more flexible?  I want firmer, but not a stiff rock.

This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #5 Mar 13, 2010 6:30 PM
there really isn't as much demand for them as the wool filled toppers.  consquently I have never seen the reversible ones in person, I don't think they will feel much different though.
Reply #6 Mar 13, 2010 9:56 PM
budgy wrote:

there really isn't as much demand for them as the wool filled toppers.  consquently I have never seen the reversible ones in person, I don't think they will feel much different though.

Interesting, I would think the opposite would be true.  I would never want a wool filled one with the stitching and quilting.  Seems like they would want soft and cozy.  I was looking at Natura brand because the other brand (Snugfleece) uses some antibacterial chemical treatment on theirs.  Do you know anything about that Budgy?  I dont' want unncessary chemicals.  If I look at organic queen size I am looking at $400. Natura doesn't say organic and it would be $200 so not sure what the differences are.  Here is the one I am talking about that is organic.  Not many choices out there.

Reply #7 Mar 13, 2010 11:49 PM
The Natura ones are not treated with any chemicals.....although I read about these other organic ones....if they are using legit merino wool it is a finer wool than mass produced new zealand wool that natura uses in their exposed wool pads....whether its worth twice as much...not sure.  One other thing I should tell you though...I would personally recommend that this type of product be hand washed as opposed to being machine washed and dried.  Especially if you don't have a front load washer, agitating wool when it is wet is actually what turns fleece into felt.  So a gentle hand wash in warm water.  You can just completely soak them and use a gentle soap like le Blanc silk wash or laundry wash, try not to rub the wool against itself in order to get it clean, and do not wring it out to dry it.  Just shake it loosely and then wrap it in towels and squeeze it in the towels to draw as much moisture out as you can, then allow it to fully air dry. 
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by budgy
Reply #8 Mar 14, 2010 12:44 AM
Thanks Budgy.  The $400 wool topper doesn't say what type of wool.  Neither did Natura's website.  So Merino is better than New Zealand?  Boy this does get confusing, particularly since they don't bother telling you what type of wool it is.  So Natura is New Zealand you said?  How do I find Merino wool?

Thanks  for telling me about washing wool, I have the top loaded washer with an agitator so it sounds like that is out.

Reply #9 Mar 14, 2010 10:17 PM
merino is just a specific kind of sheep.  that link you provided claimed their more expensive topper was using merino wool. 

but yeah, all wool is washable, but its best to take special care when doing so

Reply #10 Mar 14, 2010 11:59 PM
budgy wrote:

My brother actually used the washable one for a while.  He quite liked it, although you shouldn't be too surprised that it will lose a fair bit of wool piling during the first couple of wash cycles.  I would personally try to avoid laundering it on a regular basis so that it will last longer, would be a good idea to just take it outside on occasion and let it air out.  I don't think the backing  will be too firm but it will be stiffer than say an actual sheep skin. 

"Natura Wool on Top™ Mattress Pad

This cozy mattress pad features 1 1/4" exposed Natura Smart Wool™ pile on the outside like a Sherpa coat lining. Please note this does have a polyester backing. Convenient elastic straps." from website noted above.

Budgy:  What is Natura Smart Wool and if it has a polyester backing would there be stiching/quilting?  Do you have them in your store, do you know if there is stitching.  I am soooo picky.

Reply #11 Mar 15, 2010 2:32 AM
Well I hope to gosh there is no stitching because I bit the bullet and ordered one online.  It looks simple and I am hoping Natura brand is as good as the latex topper I got at Brylane Homes a while back.  At least I can return it if I don't like it.  I did wise up on that part anyway.  wink
Reply #12 Mar 15, 2010 5:16 PM
i think it will be fine.  theres no stitching except the very outer edge .
Reply #13 Mar 15, 2010 6:00 PM
budgy wrote:

i think it will be fine.  theres no stitching except the very outer edge .

Thanks Budgy, I had to finally try something.  I will post what I think, for those that are interested....

Reply #14 Mar 26, 2010 1:55 AM
Well I got my Natura wool on topper today, and it was shipped well.

Have you ever been so tired from lack of sleep and back pain that you just can't face changing your bed and adding something to it????  Because you are afraid it won't help and it will make it worse?  That is me tonight.

I was expecting it to be bigger, I haven't even unzipped the package to even look at.  It does look nice and clean.  Being a germaphobe and hearing I shouldn't wash it by our resident mattress guru, I have to put the sheet over it and hope I can get over my germaphobia.

Maybe tomorrow I can face it.  sad  We need a crying smiley face option here.

This message was modified Mar 26, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #15 Mar 26, 2010 1:58 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Well I got my Natura wool on topper today, and it was shipped well.

Have you ever been so tired from lack of sleep and back pain that you just can't face changing your bed and adding something to it????  Because you are afraid it won't help and it will make it worse?  That is me tonight.

I was expecting it to be bigger, I haven't even unzipped the package to even look at.  It does look nice and clean.  Being a germaphobe and hearing I shouldn't wash it by our resident mattress guru, I have to put the sheet over it and hope I can get over my germaphobia.

Maybe tomorrow I can face it.  sad  We need a crying smiley face option here.

Oh Leo, I totally understand the feeling! This journey for a good nights sleep can just become so overwhelming at times. You just never know what might work, and hopefully the wool topper may be just the thing.

I so hope you're feeling better today.

Natalie

Reply #16 Mar 27, 2010 3:23 PM
I slept on the Natura wool on top mattress pad last night, and the new jersey sheets.  It was sooooo soft, and it really did change my body temperature.  I slept on my back for 5 hours and didn't wake up due to being warm (just woke up), it was very cozy.  I turned on my "good hip" side and  2 1/2 hours later I woke up in bad hip pain.  So it did do not perform a miracle there.  crying 

Guess I am a believer on wool now.  I thought the polyester didn't make me sweat like the memory foam mattress did, but it did keep me warmer.

But I can say I am very happy with the quality of the Natura wool on top mattress pad, it was very clean, and packaged nicely.  I would buy from Sears again, they are top notched at shipping, they actually put them in boxes in their original packaging.  I think the Natura topper came directly from Natura because the box had their name imprinted in it.  They did an excellent job of packaging too.  You just don't realize how nice and important that is wink

Thanks to Budgy smiley for helping me decide that this topper was good, and that it had no stitching lines.  I really like it and hope it lasts me for a while.  I won't be able to wash it in my washer.  Unless I get a front loading one, not likely.  I guess I could use a wash cloth and clean like I did my latex pillow.  I am very happy.

Some day I will fix my side sleeping pain.

This message was modified Mar 27, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #17 Mar 27, 2010 3:58 PM
Glad to hear your first impressions are positive :)

I am not surprised in the least that you have already noticed some benefits in the temperature regulation.

Reply #18 Mar 27, 2010 7:08 PM
Budgie:  There is no way I could hand wash a queen size topper in the kitchen sink.  I guess you could take it to the shower and rinse it, LOL.  Do you think using a soft cotton cloth would hurt the wool if I rub gently?

How long do you think realistically this will last?  I imagine sleeping on it after so long will compress it.  I read somewhere you can comb the wool, to fluff it up again?

Reply #19 Mar 27, 2010 7:15 PM
Its all relative really....when that wool is wet you want to be as gentle as possible.  Some specialty cleansers like Leblanc Laundry Wash would probably get the product very clean with minimal agitation and without damaging the fibres themselves. 

Combing it out will probably help it reloft, although I haven't tried before, id be worried about removing a lot of the loose piling by combing it too much.

Reply #20 Mar 28, 2010 3:29 PM
Budgy, A question you didn't answer was what is the "usual" lifespan of wool.  A year?  Two?  I hope longer.  I know it gets crushed.

I read on my wool topper package it helps pressure points.  It doesn't really for my hips.  Does REALLY anything help the hip pressure points?

I am having to train myself to sleep on my back, and I am fighting it.  But it is the only way I can sleep 4-5 hours straight.  I am a side sleeper by choice, but my hips won't let me anymore.  I keep trying, and after 1-2 hours pain and wakeup.

I just wonder if I would have bought the thicker wool if that would have helped the pressure points.

I still love the cozy feeling, but I can tell it isn't going to last, it will flatten in time (the wool).

Reply #21 Mar 28, 2010 3:33 PM
the wool will compress somewhat early on, but the fibres themselves will last a long time.  I honestly don't know if anyone can answer that question for you fully, because it depends on how its all treated and of course whether or not you still find it beneficial after some compression.
Reply #22 Mar 28, 2010 5:55 PM
So you don't think anything can help with hip pain? 
This message was modified Mar 28, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #23 Mar 28, 2010 11:43 PM
as far as toppers go it isnt going to get much better than this for pressure relief.  what kind of mattress build exactly is this you are putting it on, onto an all latex mattress or latex on top of spring?
Reply #24 Mar 29, 2010 1:09 AM
budgy wrote:

as far as toppers go it isnt going to get much better than this for pressure relief.  what kind of mattress build exactly is this you are putting it on, onto an all latex mattress or latex on top of spring?

5" latex over spring mattress.  The latex top 2" layer is 24ILD or less, and the remaining 3" no ILD listed from O-stock.  So my estimate is 32 ILD or more, who knows?  But I do sink in when I side sleep.

Instead of a 1 1/4" thick wool maybe a 3" wool would be better wouldn't it for pressure relief?  Though I some people have said it made their bed firmer.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #25 Mar 29, 2010 1:28 AM
thats the only tough thing with toppers....it would be so nice to be able to try an item like that on your bed before hand so you know for sure what the end result is going to be.  a slightly thicker wool pad might give you the benefit although most of them have the stitching.  so it sounds like a double edged sword to me in your case.
Reply #26 Mar 29, 2010 4:54 PM
Leo3 wrote:

I slept on the Natura wool on top mattress pad last night, and the new jersey sheets.  It was sooooo soft, and it really did change my body temperature.  I slept on my back for 5 hours and didn't wake up due to being warm (just woke up), it was very cozy.  I turned on my "good hip" side and  2 1/2 hours later I woke up in bad hip pain.  So it did do not perform a miracle there.  crying 

Guess I am a believer on wool now.  I thought the polyester didn't make me sweat like the memory foam mattress did, but it did keep me warmer.

But I can say I am very happy with the quality of the Natura wool on top mattress pad, it was very clean, and packaged nicely.  I would buy from Sears again, they are top notched at shipping, they actually put them in boxes in their original packaging.  I think the Natura topper came directly from Natura because the box had their name imprinted in it.  They did an excellent job of packaging too.  You just don't realize how nice and important that is wink

Thanks to Budgy smiley for helping me decide that this topper was good, and that it had no stitching lines.  I really like it and hope it lasts me for a while.  I won't be able to wash it in my washer.  Unless I get a front loading one, not likely.  I guess I could use a wash cloth and clean like I did my latex pillow.  I am very happy.

Some day I will fix my side sleeping pain.

Was it a pad or a topper you bought?  Does it make any difference?

I just ordered the pad and the description doesn't match what Natura claims for the topper.

Reply #27 Mar 29, 2010 5:47 PM
I ordered mine from Sears, using a coupon code.  Let me see if I can find the link...  Here it is wool on top from Natura.
This message was modified Mar 29, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #28 Mar 29, 2010 6:40 PM
thank you for the speedy reply.  i ordered the same pad directly from natura.  afterwards i saw on the natura link that the "topper" cost more and was described differently from the "pad" which did not make any claims of easing pressure points.  anyhoo, you sounded satisfied with the pad anyway.  i'll stick with my purchase.  i'm looking for better temperature comfort and the pad might help.  5 hours of sleep would be great for me too.
Reply #29 Mar 30, 2010 12:04 AM
Pretty funny that we are thrilled for 5 hours of sleep isn't it? wink

The price was $216 on Natura's website, so was Sear's (unless you find a coupon code).  The package is what said helps with pressure points, I don't think it said that on their website or Sears website.

What are you sleeping on now?

I stand corrected it says "The pads cuddly surface buffers sensitive pressure areas and significantly reduces restless sleep" on Natura's webite.  It also says, "Studies show that those who placed a wool pad on top of their existing mattress slept more soundly, reduced their tossing and turning by over 50 percent".  I believe that, it isn't a cure all, but it does help.  I will take all the help I can.  I did have to straighted it a bit this morning, it moves a little if you toss and turn alot.  I also hand fluffed it this morning (LOL), I expect it will flatten as Budgy said, it stands to reason.

Click here, is this the one you ordered?  That is the same I have, they call it a pad.

This message was modified Mar 30, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #30 Mar 30, 2010 3:15 PM
i think i ordered the same pad, although i bought it at the link you provided at the beginning of this thread.  i got the full size for $184 minus 10% bonus for joining facebook.  with free shipping it seemed quite a bargain.

we're enjoying the infamous costco 100% reversible latex mattress offered up to last january.  even tho it didn't solve my insomnia of waking up frequently, most of the pain issues went away when we flipped to the firm side.  the quality of sleep is much improved.  i tried adding an inch of foam padding (don't know what it's made of since i got it a long time ago) to get a softer feel, but some of the hip aches returned and it also doesn't breathe too well.  hope the new pad will work.

isn't it a hoot about 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep?  like most of the comments on this forum, i don't think the bed (hehe) is the solution.  nevertheless, the eternal quest for painless, restful slumber continues.  i appreciate the empathy and help.

Reply #31 Mar 31, 2010 6:22 PM
Your welcome Popo.  I hope the wool topper helps at least with the heat issue and comfort.

So what mattress did you have before the Costco latex?

Did you have a heat issue with just sleeping over the latex?  Do you have a mattress protector over the latex?  If so that can contribute to the heat buildup, and also can contribute to some pain from not being able to "get close" to the latex.

Reply #32 Mar 31, 2010 8:47 PM
we had a very ancient extra firm foam mattress set from sears.

you are right about the mattress protector causing heat and pain issues.  it is more comfortable sleeping directly over the latex, but i wanted to protect the mattress with a polyester, waterproof cover.  if the wool pad on top doesn't help--THEN OFF WITH THE COVER111

btw, natura just notified me that they won't ship my order for another 4-7 days.  so hard to get some zzzzzs

Reply #33 Apr 1, 2010 12:24 AM
I would say OFF with that cover now, if it was me.  That isn't helping any with your pressure points.

I had the same delay getting my wool pad, I think they all probably drop ship (if that is what it is called) from the manufacturer, so they have to wait and get it from them first.  Just a theory, but mine took that long too frown

I was concerned about the pad getting dirty, but that is life, if you put something over the wool you just defeated the whole point.  So fight the urge to protect it, just try to enjoy it when you get it.

Let me know what you think after a few days of trying it out.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts