Why Latex does not work for people...
Mar 31, 2011 12:53 PM
One word.

PUSHBACK.

Yes latex pushes back against your body and there are many people who don't find that comfortable.

Imagine sleeping on a surface that is pushing back against you all night. I hate to say this but that would not be a comfortable feeling.

In fact that creates pressure.  So Latex does not lead to pressure point relief.

This message was modified Mar 31, 2011 by xyz1ab
Re: Why Latex does not work for people...
Reply #2 Mar 31, 2011 7:32 PM
Well thats just plain silly.  Its pretty simple, if the latex you happen to have is creating too much pressure, then its too firm for you.  At that point you would just simply get a softer layer, and that would relieve pressure.  It really doesnt matter what you are laying on, everything has push back.  The softer the mattress, the less pushback.  To to say Latex does not lead to pressure relief is just plain silly.  It absolutely does, you just need to choose whats right for your individual preference.
Reply #3 Mar 31, 2011 10:32 PM
My latex bed does not push back at me due to the very soft Talay Topper I have over the very firm layers of Talalay Latex cores. Also my Talay Latex pillows makes going to sleep a comfortable experience.  I do not feel any pressure points since I set up the latex cores to suit what was best for me.  It was frustrating at first but now I am glad I spent the time to get the comfort level right for me.
Reply #4 Apr 4, 2011 2:10 PM
copaoly wrote:

Well thats just plain silly.  Its pretty simple, if the latex you happen to have is creating too much pressure, then its too firm for you.  At that point you would just simply get a softer layer, and that would relieve pressure.  It really doesnt matter what you are laying on, everything has push back.  The softer the mattress, the less pushback.  To to say Latex does not lead to pressure relief is just plain silly.  It absolutely does, you just need to choose whats right for your individual preference.

Hi guy. did you ask what you said you would ask from shawn at sleepez. - did you test out 14-16 ILD dunlop latex? Thanks.

This message was modified Apr 4, 2011 by xyz1ab
Reply #5 Apr 4, 2011 2:12 PM
I wonder why Shawn at sleepez would recommend all dunlop latex mattress to me?

Xfirm as base layer

Then firm

then medium

then soft dunlop as top layer?

Does shawn gives this recomendation to everyone?

Reply #7 Apr 6, 2011 12:02 AM
I'm a light sleeper and in need of a bed that does not "bounce" when my husband get in or turns over, which wakes me up.  Today we visited a store that carries Sealy Embody (latex) and Tempur-Pedic (memory foam).  The first proved bouncy while the second stayed wonderfully still.  Is there a latex bed out there that has this stillness quality?  Our current pillow top bed with springs is aweful.  Please help.
Reply #8 Apr 7, 2011 8:58 PM
My latex bed has just about no bounce since I have all extra firm and super firm latex layers.
Reply #9 Apr 9, 2011 3:47 PM
xyz1ab wrote:

One word.

PUSHBACK.

Yes latex pushes back against your body and there are many people who don't find that comfortable.

Imagine sleeping on a surface that is pushing back against you all night. I hate to say this but that would not be a comfortable feeling.

In fact that creates pressure.  So Latex does not lead to pressure point relief.

True. Some people feel that latex "pushes back" too much. I used to be one of them, and probably still would say that on an all-latex mattress.

Now I sleep on a Dunlop 3" piece and 2 Talalay 1" toppers (one is actually 1.5"). But the whole thing on top of a springy type support.

For awhile I was using a Sealy and then an Englander springs for support.

Now I am using an IKEA Sultan bowed-wood support system and it is actually better for me than the inner springs. Though I wonder if it might be starting to "wear in" too much (or wear out)... My next step will be to try some sort of adjustable slatted-wood platform for it.

Reply #10 Apr 11, 2011 1:46 PM
jimsocal wrote:

True. Some people feel that latex "pushes back" too much. I used to be one of them, and probably still would say that on an all-latex mattress.

Now I sleep on a Dunlop 3" piece and 2 Talalay 1" toppers (one is actually 1.5"). But the whole thing on top of a springy type support.

For awhile I was using a Sealy and then an Englander springs for support.

Now I am using an IKEA Sultan bowed-wood support system and it is actually better for me than the inner springs. Though I wonder if it might be starting to "wear in" too much (or wear out)... My next step will be to try some sort of adjustable slatted-wood platform for it.

YES, Latex has a lot of pushback...

And then you have to exchange layers.

Read the posts in the forum.  People want to jump to buy latex but after they have the bed they all are saying it is not comfortable and that they are having pains in this body part or that body part..

Latex seems to be like a mirage in the desert that a thirsty man thinks is the real water but it seems like most people are not happy about their latex beds.

This message was modified Apr 11, 2011 by xyz1ab
Reply #11 May 1, 2011 11:41 PM
xyz1ab wrote:

YES, Latex has a lot of pushback...

And then you have to exchange layers.

Read the posts in the forum.  People want to jump to buy latex but after they have the bed they all are saying it is not comfortable and that they are having pains in this body part or that body part..

Latex seems to be like a mirage in the desert that a thirsty man thinks is the real water but it seems like most people are not happy about their latex beds.

xyz1ab wrote:
"Latex seems to be like a mirage in the desert that a thirsty man thinks is the real water but it seems like most people are not happy about their latex beds."

I think that is an exaggeration of the facts at best.

Latex works for MANY people on this forum, and I'd say those who have tried it and don't like it are in the minority.

Some find that latex alone is not comfortable but some find that latex on top of springs is very comfortable. Many find that pure latex is comfortable. Sometimes one needs to add a layer of wool or visco on top or near the top to counteract the "push back" feeling of latex.

But to say that most people are not happy with their latex beds is simply not true, imho, based on years of participation in this forum.

Recent Posts