We Ordered This Week
Dec 15, 2010 9:12 PM

Well we took the plunge and ordered from Sleep Ez.com their model 10000 Dunlop in two Twin XL and two Reverie Deluxe Adjustable Beds With Wireless Control and Massage in Twin XL from Olejo Stores.com (great prices with lift gate shipping included).  The mattresses are due to arrive by UPS this Friday and the adjustable beds next week sometime by freight. 

Why I went with the sleep Ez is essentially the good ratings, 90 return policy, decent pricing and Shawn who was helpful and patient.  If it turns out we can't stand latex we can always return them and look at another route; or if one of us likes it and the other does not that can be remedied as well due to the Twin XL flexibility.  I choose XFIRM/FIRM/MEDIUM and the wife choose FIRM/MEDIUM/SOFT in Dunlop.  I'll let everyone know how it works out.  Although i suspect having slept on memory foam for eight years I may end up adding a M.F. topper later.

As for the adjustable beds, it does not take much time in one to realize just how much they can enhance in bed reading and TV activities.

Thanks to everyone who assisted, especially Phoenix for all of the advise and coaching.  I would have done more testing in stores but my wife made it clear she was not going to spend her holiday time off going to mattress stores and factories with me.

Also, I need to get back to my real hobby which is furniture making; this holiday vacation i will be working on two night stands to add to the bedroom suite I have built so far.

Re: We Ordered This Week
Reply #3 Dec 18, 2010 12:17 PM
I agree that you should take a little more time to adjust to the new sleep surface.   My all latex mattress consists of a very firm bottom layer, followed by firm and medium layers of Talalay.   I wanted just a bit more pressure relief so I added just 1 inch of Sensus 5 lbs memory foam from Overstock and am loving it so far.   I still have the firm support of the latex with some added pressure  relief from the memory foam.   It may sleep a little warmer when summer arrives, but I'll face that issue if and when it happens.
Reply #4 Dec 18, 2010 12:51 PM
Hopefully things will start to improve for your wife.  I never got any pain when I got my rubber mattres (6" firm natural dunlop core, 2" natural talalay top)...I had a hard time falling asleep on it for a week or so.  

Latex Green only makes 100% NR cores, so no worries that it could be a blended product.  The cores are definitely firm but the product is top notch.

Reply #5 Dec 18, 2010 1:38 PM
I would also give it a few nights before you do any exchanges as the latex does take getting used to ... especially coming from a memory foam background. FWIW, the "soft" dunlop was too firm for me as well (it would probably feel like a 28 or so in Talalay) and there is quite a difference between that and the Talalay. The soft Talalay that sleepez has listed is 22-24 ILD which is in the upper range of soft bordering on medium. Probably the "closest" latex feel to a typical memory foam mattress would be 14 ILD talalay latex over firm (say 36 or higher) but even the 14 will have more "pushback" than memory foam and you wouldn't sleep "in" the mattress quite as much.

Also FWIW ... when people typically describe their discomfort as "stiffness" it is usually not a function of pressure relief so much as muscle tension. This too could be from several things (including a different sleeping position from the latex vs the memory foam). The "standardized" layout that your wife has would be firmer on top and possibly softer underneath than many memory foam mattresses and there may be some "muscle memory" of a different sleeping position on memory foam.

If I was to add memory foam to "take the edge off" I would make sure it was no more than 1-2" (as suggested by Mark) since more than that over a softer latex could cause alignment issues. This would make quite a difference in the "feel" of the mattress even though the actual pressure relief between that and soft (14-18) talalay wouldn't be much different.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 18, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Dec 18, 2010 1:49 PM
Yes, dunlop can be pretty firm stuff.  Personally, I don't think I would like it as the top comfort level.  I use talalay and 1-2" of memory foam. 

So, stick with it a while, and maybe try it with the memory foam as well.  My guess is that your wife would probably prefer the top (and possibly middle) layers to be talalay.  That might be the case for you as well, but less clear.

If it doesn't work after a while, I would consider getting 1 soft and 1 medium layer.   Then you will have some more options to try.   Changing out your wifes soft for a talalay soft, maybe her medium for a talalay medium, your medium for a medium talalay, etc.

They have 100% naturual talalay if you are trying to avoid any synthetic.

Reply #7 Dec 18, 2010 2:38 PM
Also FWIW ... the LG soft is listed on the Latex Green website as 13-18 kgf which would translate into 28-40 lbf. The testing method may be slightly different from ILD but it would be significantly firmer than soft Talalay or even most medium Talalay.

Phoenix

Reply #8 Dec 18, 2010 5:31 PM
You say you have a wood slat foundation but why do you need a foundation if you are using the adjustable beds?..

Do the adjustable beds not serve as the foundation?

Reply #9 Dec 18, 2010 8:59 PM
Bahstonsox..............The adjustable beds arrive next week, so I am using the bed the way it is currently set-up which is with slats...

It's weird, I just got done building the bed frame and spending an extra $120 on the poplar for the slats, only to decide on an adjustable a few weeks later.  So when the platforms arrive out come the slats.

Reply #10 Dec 19, 2010 10:04 PM
Gotcha..

Would love to hear your review as soon as possible on the adjustable beds.  I am trying to convince my wife that we should get the 2 twins instead of the king..  We are newlyweds so she thinks I am trying to push her out of my bed already:)...

Two twins are basically just a split king more or less right?..

Reply #11 Dec 20, 2010 7:09 AM

Two Twin Xl's (not twins) approximate the size of a Eastern king.

What sold us on separate adjustable beds is the ability for them to operate independently; it's unlikely you would both be comfortable in exactly the same positions, and even if that is so if your active minor pulls and strains will dictate otherwise from time to time.

We in our 50's and married for 33 years, even so the idea of separates struck an emotional response initially as we viewed it as a potential to interfere with intimacy.  I suspect this will not be the case, at least not if I have anything to say about it :)

This message was modified Dec 20, 2010 by Bioman
Re: We Ordered This Week - UPDATE
Reply #12 Dec 21, 2010 8:47 PM

Well the Riviera Deluxe adjustable Twins arrived today.  It takes two people to set one of these up, they are pretty heavy so avoid doing this alone if you can (this is one of those times I am actually happy that I have young adults still living with me :).  The beds seem to be well constructed, although I would have preferred a hard wired control to a wireless, simply harder to misplace.  

The price from Olejo was very reasonable and included shipping to curbside with gate-lift; although the semi driver wanted me to meet him five miles away and load them into my pickup truck so he did not have to take his truck into a residential area; we had words and he came to the house to make delivery. ;). 

The Deluxe bed and the Sleep Ez 10000 mattress are a very comfortable combination.  In particular I like the Deluxe bed zero gravity position feature(back slightly elevated with feet slightly higher) , this is a very comfortable setting for watching TV.  I also like the zero headwall clearance feature which when elevating the head end of the bed, retracts the foot end so your upper torso stays in a relative position to your nightstand.   A nice side benefit, at least for me, is that when returning the bed to a flat position ( a single button push feature) my upper and lower torso are pulled slightly in opposite directions as the foot of the mattress retracts.  This has the effect of gently stretching my spine which feels really nice.  Just a note on the vibrating massage feature, although it is nice I imagine you would get more out of it with an inner spring or an air bed as I suspect the latex and likely to a greater degree memory foam damp the effects; all in all its still pretty nice.

So far we are both sleeping well.  My wife was less achy this morning than her first few nights on the Sleep Ez 10000.  I on the other hand was just the slightest bit sore this morning.  Hard to attribute this to the mattress at this point, as this week I am on vacation and working quite a bit in my woodshop; so slight pulls and strains are the norm from lifting heavy planks of lumber, bending over equipment, awkward angles  etc.  One thing I am noticing, is that I am not waking up in the night with my arms and hands falling asleep as I was on the previous worn inner spring/worn memory foam combination. The latex seems to be pretty good at pressure reduction.  I will keep assessing the mattress and give periodic progress updates.

Recent Posts