Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe - not loving it
Mar 5, 2011 12:35 PM
I purchased the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe 3 weeks ago.  The first night I slept good but not since.  For the price, I should be in love with this bed and want to marry it!!  I have low back and right hip pain - hip pain may be due to sleeping on my side (pressure point) due to my back pain.  My old mattress was a Serta of about 15 years and right now, I feel I do not sleep any better on this new mattress.  I still wake up with back pain and sometimes I feel it is worse than sleeping on my old mattress.  My arms also go numb when sleeping on my side with this new mattress.  I sleep with a pillow under my knees or between my knees, depending whether I am sleeping on my back or side.  I have read that it may take a while to adjust to the Tempurpedic beds but how long should I wait?  I do have a 90 day trial with Sleepys.  Mattress shopping is probably the most stressful thing I have done - you can't really tell if a mattress is going to be good for you in the short time you lie on it in the store, and it is such a huge expense.  I know there are mattress companies on line you can buy from but if I am not happy, I would hate to ship it back.  Also, I have a king size mattress and I love the fact that the delivery people bring it upstairs.  Should I try a firmer Tempurpedic line?  Another brand or type?  Any suggestions??
Re: Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe - not loving it
Reply #6 Mar 28, 2011 3:15 PM
"If you are not in love with it, send it back now.  Why wait?  It isn't going to get better.   Mattresses are like running shoes, they should feel good immediately and stay that way."

Sall is spot on with the above statement. You do not buy a mattress you need to be fitted for a mattress ! If you are to buy a pair of running shows and your heel kept slipping out the back you would not buy them or at least return them.

Reply #7 Mar 28, 2011 11:08 PM
I got a great deal on a tempurpedic cloud luxe.  New, sealed... etc.   Maybe a little too new for me so far.  This thing stinks man.  Literally.  I got it 2 weeks ago, unwrapped it, got all excited, put the sheets on,  laid in it with my wife the first night, and WOW,  smells like a poison plastic factory to me.

I want to love it so bad.  We took off the sheets, I took off the mattress cover,  washed to mattress cover, low heat on the dryer of course.    I propped the mattress up on top of 9 five gallon buckets, set up 3 fans, and vented the room outside.  I had fans blowing above and below the mattress, and out of the room. I left it alone for 5 days this way. 

After that I put the mattress back on the base, removing the buckets.  Left the cover off, and began walking and jumping on it for about 10 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 times a day for another week.   I was trying to collapse the cells, and suck fresh air in and out of the mattress. 

On day 13 I put the mattress cover back on, and tried to sleep on it.  It still has some smell to it.  I feel like it's still giving me a headache.  

Can anyone give me anymore tips on how to air this thing out,  I feel like I'm a logical person in my approach so far, but jeez, wtf can possibly be sending off these smelly fumes?  How long before my bed doesn't smell???

Help

Reply #8 Mar 29, 2011 6:22 PM
My Cloud Luxe is over a month old and still has a slight smell to it.  On the first day it was delivered - early am - I opened the windows in the bedroom for the day.  That helped but the smell did not really bother me - I equated it to a new car smell.  I too jumped on it and such but I still don't like mine and it has nothing to do with the smell.  They are picking my mattress up on Saturday - can't wait to be rid of it!  I am leaning heavily towards latex and will let you know what I decide - haven't quite made my mind up yet.
Reply #9 Mar 29, 2011 9:06 PM
TDI (toluene diisocyanate) makes up about 2/3 of the weight of most poly foams, it is toxic. The other 3rd of the weight is some kind of polyol often polypropylene glycol, and then a 3rd required ingredient is some kind of blowing agent to act as a catalyst...the blowing agents used are usually the nastiest chemicals of the bunch but thankfully only make up maybe .5% of the end weight.  Most upholstery grade foam has other chemical additives like formaldehyde to increase its resistance to fire, as regular old poly foam is highly flammable. As far as what you are smelling...I am not sure...Tempur-Pedic does not disclose the exact list of ingredients used, I can only speculate based on how all other polyfoams are made.

The thing about most of these chemicals is that they are actually odourless...even if your mattress stops smelling....it is still giving off various hydrocarbons into the air, and some will ultimately also be absorbed transdermally through our skin.  Unless you LOVE the way these beds feel....I would recommend something with less chemical content.  

Reply #10 Mar 30, 2011 7:36 PM
  Well I went to Custom Sleep Designs in Connecticut today to try out their mattresses.  It was about a 2 hour drive for me but soooooooo worth it!  Bob and Caroline were just wonderful!  I spent 2 hours in the showroom lying on beds, discussing my concerns, deciding what we felt would work for me.  It was a great experience!  Since I am getting a King size mattress and live alone, they are going to make each half of the mattress a little different - one side firmer than the other - to see what works for me.  Ii am also getting the mattress zoned as well - softer on the top than on the bottom. 

Thery have a 90 day in home trial as well.  If the top layer is not right, they can make up and ship you a replacement top and all you do is put the old one in the box the new one came in and drop it off at UPS!  This mattress is less than half the price of the temperpedic including the delivery - no sales tax 'cause I am out of state -  and they are delivering and setting it up!!  I also got 2 King size latex pillows for free as well!  I did not get a foundation - I am keeping the base from the temperpedic purchase because it has 4 drawers and I am loving it and it will work fine with my new latex mattress - but that would have been only an extra $100 I believe.  (I actually purchased a new washer and dryer today as well and still have not reached the total for the temperpedic!!)

I took a lot of time in the showroom trying to decide what I feel will work for me - support and comfort wise.  I would really like to get this right on the first try and not have to exchange layers but if it comes down to that, I feel that process will be a piece of cake as well.  If you are in driving distance of their showroom, I think you would do yourself a great service to visit them.  If I was not able to return my temperpedic but only do a mattress exchange, I would have called them to ask them which Pure Latex Bliss mattress did they feel would work best for me.  They are all about helping people get a good nights sleep - regardless of where you are going to purchase.

My mattess will be arriving in 3-4 weeks or so and I will update when I get it!  I can not recommend Custom Sleep Designs enough - it was a wonderful shopping experience.

Val

Reply #11 Mar 31, 2011 4:58 PM
Valpar3,

Glad you're excited for your bed! Glad I reached out to you, too.

We'll be in touch.

-Caroline

Reply #12 Apr 11, 2011 5:04 PM
  Sleepys finally came today to take my tempurpedic cloud luxe mattress but what a nightmare it has been!!  I was literally being harrassed by sales people calling me at home - would I change my mind, why not do just a comfort exchange, if we take the mattress where will you sleep (like it's their business??), you still have more time to decide, etc....  it just went on and on.  I had to call them 5 times to set up the pickup.  I even talked to a regional manager who then did not put my request for a return in the system either!!   I had to call him back as well.  What is it with these people?  If I was getting a mattress delivered, I am sure I would have been able to get it delivered the next day but for them to pick up, it took me 3 weeks!!

Due to this experience, do they really think I would ever buy from them again?  Their customer service is horrible.  I had a saleswoman - not my salesperson, but she just happened to be working in the store when I bought my mattress - call me at home and literally laugh at me because I was sending the mattress back!!  Is that unbelievable or what?  When I initially went into the store to tell my salesman that I wanted to return my mattress and was looking for something else, he never even got up to show me anything - I guess he was mad I was going to return it. 

I am so happy that I got my mattress from Custom Sleep Designs and can not wait until I receive it!  It has been a much better experience dealing with them than Sleepy's, that's for sure!

Reply #13 Apr 12, 2011 1:36 AM
valpar3 wrote:

Sleepys finally came today to take my tempurpedic cloud luxe mattress but what a nightmare it has been!!  I was literally being harrassed by sales people calling me at home - would I change my mind, why not do just a comfort exchange, if we take the mattress where will you sleep (like it's their business??), you still have more time to decide, etc....  it just went on and on.  I had to call them 5 times to set up the pickup.  I even talked to a regional manager who then did not put my request for a return in the system either!!   I had to call him back as well.  What is it with these people?  If I was getting a mattress delivered, I am sure I would have been able to get it delivered the next day but for them to pick up, it took me 3 weeks!!

Due to this experience, do they really think I would ever buy from them again?  Their customer service is horrible.  I had a saleswoman - not my salesperson, but she just happened to be working in the store when I bought my mattress - call me at home and literally laugh at me because I was sending the mattress back!!  Is that unbelievable or what?  When I initially went into the store to tell my salesman that I wanted to return my mattress and was looking for something else, he never even got up to show me anything - I guess he was mad I was going to return it. 

I am so happy that I got my mattress from Custom Sleep Designs and can not wait until I receive it!  It has been a much better experience dealing with them than Sleepy's, that's for sure!

Tell me about it. I have a special place in my heart for pushy salespeople. After speaking with a Sleepys salesmen for 10min he tried to get my CC number so he could put a deposit down on a $2k mattress I wasn't even sure in getting. I said hell no, and he asked why over & over & over. I finally got fed up and said "I used to work in PR, and you're just way too pushy for me." That shut him up. I heard him snicker loudly as I was leaving. Felt like a freaking hostage negotiation.

Oh and I made the mistake of spilling my phone # earlier. In the following weeks I got 2 more calls at work from different salespeople. Never setting foot in that store again.

Reply #14 Apr 15, 2011 4:15 PM
  I really do not know what these people are thinking when they become so rude and such.  Don't they know we do have other options?  I will gladly pay more money for something as long as I am treated fairly and with the respect I deserve.  If I had not gotten such a run around from them regarding the return, I may have considered buying a Pure Latex Bliss mattress from them but this experience has left such a bad taste in my mouth! 

And now, they picked the mattress up on Monday but still have not credited my account and it's Friday!  Unbelievable!!  I guess I will be making a few more phone calls!!

Reply #15 Apr 23, 2011 7:41 PM
  Sleepys finally posted the credit to my account on 4/21 after 2 more phone calls from me.  One of the other posters on the site is having delivery delays with his Custom Sleep Design mattress so I hope mine will be coming soon as well.

Recent Posts