Replacing my 1994 Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" open coil mattress
Jul 8, 2010 7:52 PM
I'm new to these forums and have begun researching my next mattress. A lot has happened since I purchased my last mattress on January 23, 1994 from Mattress Discounters in San Francisco for $280 plus tax. wink

My Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" mattress' label says "America's Best Open Coil Bedding Value." I gather from this forum, that they don't make them like that anymore. Yet, I have had zero problems with it, have never even really flipped it, always label up at end of bed. Amazing huh?

Today, I went to Ikea to try their top-of-the-line $900 Dunlop Latex mattress, but I got that same sink-in feeling that you get with cheap foam mattresses. If Latex is indeed state-of-the-art, I'm going to beg off and have you help me find an innerspring mattress, because I prefer the firmer feeling springs can provide.

BTW, the Simmons Maxipedic is also billed as "The Backache Solution," and I couldn't agree more. This mattress has saved my back from many a days of sheer torture, it's the best bed I've ever slept on, bar none.

So how do I find a replacement? I know everyone dislikes spring mattresses here, but does anyone have any good tips? I understand that Simmons' quality has declined significantly since the early aughts (00s).

Your feedback is appreciated. :)

Recent Posts