Replacing my 1994 Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" open coil mattress
Jul 8, 2010 7:52 PM
I'm new to these forums and have begun researching my next mattress. A lot has happened since I purchased my last mattress on January 23, 1994 from Mattress Discounters in San Francisco for $280 plus tax. wink

My Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" mattress' label says "America's Best Open Coil Bedding Value." I gather from this forum, that they don't make them like that anymore. Yet, I have had zero problems with it, have never even really flipped it, always label up at end of bed. Amazing huh?

Today, I went to Ikea to try their top-of-the-line $900 Dunlop Latex mattress, but I got that same sink-in feeling that you get with cheap foam mattresses. If Latex is indeed state-of-the-art, I'm going to beg off and have you help me find an innerspring mattress, because I prefer the firmer feeling springs can provide.

BTW, the Simmons Maxipedic is also billed as "The Backache Solution," and I couldn't agree more. This mattress has saved my back from many a days of sheer torture, it's the best bed I've ever slept on, bar none.

So how do I find a replacement? I know everyone dislikes spring mattresses here, but does anyone have any good tips? I understand that Simmons' quality has declined significantly since the early aughts (00s).

Your feedback is appreciated. :)

Re: Replacing my 1994 Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" open coil mattress
Reply #9 Jan 21, 2018 5:07 PM
Hey ubercool,
I just wanted to say thanks for your detailed post and diligent updates! I'm finally replacing the same mattress from 1993 and also had no idea what to look for or where to start as I also love this firm yet springy mattress that has lasted me 25 years. Modern mattresses are way too soft and seem to give out quickly. This is a great lead for me. Going to head down to the store and look for another Simmons. Thank you all!
This message was modified Jan 21, 2018 by redbunkbed

Recent Posts