Replacing my 1994 Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" open coil mattress
Jul 8, 2010 7:52 PM
I'm new to these forums and have begun researching my next mattress. A lot has happened since I purchased my last mattress on January 23, 1994 from Mattress Discounters in San Francisco for $280 plus tax. wink

My Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" mattress' label says "America's Best Open Coil Bedding Value." I gather from this forum, that they don't make them like that anymore. Yet, I have had zero problems with it, have never even really flipped it, always label up at end of bed. Amazing huh?

Today, I went to Ikea to try their top-of-the-line $900 Dunlop Latex mattress, but I got that same sink-in feeling that you get with cheap foam mattresses. If Latex is indeed state-of-the-art, I'm going to beg off and have you help me find an innerspring mattress, because I prefer the firmer feeling springs can provide.

BTW, the Simmons Maxipedic is also billed as "The Backache Solution," and I couldn't agree more. This mattress has saved my back from many a days of sheer torture, it's the best bed I've ever slept on, bar none.

So how do I find a replacement? I know everyone dislikes spring mattresses here, but does anyone have any good tips? I understand that Simmons' quality has declined significantly since the early aughts (00s).

Your feedback is appreciated. :)

Re: Replacing my 1994 Simmons Maxipedic "Concorde" open coil mattress
Reply #1 Jul 8, 2010 9:13 PM
You are quite right, they do not make them like they used to.  If you want an "old-fashioned" (I mean this as a compliment) mattress you are likely going to have to investigate higher end products like McRoskey, Beckley, Hypnos, Vi-spring.  If you are Canadian, there is Marshall Mattress out of Ontario.  Good luck.
Reply #2 Jul 9, 2010 1:59 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback. I don't really feel like spending thousands of dollars for a Hypnos or Vi-Spring mattress, so I'm going to go with the Sealy Posturepedic Alanson ($400) at Costco. If it ever turns out to be defective, I can always return it to Costo for replacement or refund.

It's amazing that the only high-quality, innerspring mattresses that I could find, at what I assume to be a reasonable (read: not $5,000), mattress was from Gardner.

Thanks again. :)

Reply #3 Jul 9, 2010 2:49 PM
Please take the time to come back here and let us know how it works out for you, or write a review on the review page.  The more info, the better for all of us.
Reply #4 Aug 7, 2010 1:35 AM
OK, I've been shopping for quite a while now. I decided to pass up on the Costco mattress, because it simply seems too cheap. Very little positive feedback either. CB2, Pottery Barn's newest venture, has a Simmons Classic Beautyrest for $650, but shipping is $279 from LA to Las Vegas, so think I will pass on that too.

Today, I visited Mattress Discounters and tried a Sealy Summer Hill mattress, which they will sell me for $800 (mattress only). Felt firm enough for me. Free delivery does not hurt either. wink

Will update when I purchase something.

Reply #5 Aug 8, 2010 11:09 AM
you are second shopper who has come on this board and ended up with a simmons, even though most posters caution against that brand. most of their mattresses are now made with 14 or 15 gauge coil. they do use a lot of them, but the weakness of the steel itself tells you these are going to be soft mattresses. the brands recommended above - beckley and shifman - use the holland maid open offset 12 3/4 gauge coil. they are expensive, but if you watch craigslist you can sometimes find one new or almost new for half price or lower. shifman makes some models with a 12.5 guage, even firmer. at that firmness a side sleeper would need a soft topper, but you would have the support. there are some smaller companies and many many local mattress makers who make firm offset coil mattresses. I have posted a few names on other threads here for the nyc area. look in your area, find a small mattress company and see if you can duplicate the old simmons you liked so much. I think you will be happier in the end and you will also pay a huge amout less since those firms do not advertise at all and rely on word of mouth and repeat business. I recently priced a custom made mattress from a local firm with the strong open offset coils for 700 for a full size. if you have back issues, I would also caution against buying any bed online. you will need to get on it for an hour and really know what it is going to feel like. just my thoughts, as a major back pain sufferer

ps - also check out stearns and foster highest end model made in limited edtions in queen and king only. does use a 12 3/4 gauge coil. also king koil extended life line of mattresses uses the same gauge. they charge a lot more for these, which is why I recommend a local mattress maker before dumping money on these high enders if not necessary

This message was modified Aug 8, 2010 by olenska
Reply #6 Nov 14, 2010 11:47 AM
I just want to close the loop on this thread I started. In the end, I resisted all the latex mattresses, the Posturepedics and other fancy stuff and just bought a Simmons Beautyrest Jacqueline Plush Firm mattress, which set me back a whole $600 without box spring.

It may not have the best architecture out there and perhaps it will exhibit "wandering coils" in a few years, but, hey, I'm only out $600 and I can always throw it away. Since the first Simmons lasted me 16 years, and is still going strong, that might be a while. ;)

Thanks for all your suggestions in this forum. I found them most enlightening. I wish we could simplify the process of buying a mattress, by eliminating all the confusing model names and similar type mattresses offered under different model names, but that's wishful thinking, for now.

BTW, I slept on my new bed last night, which is a $300 IKEA platform with high-end cotton sheets from Costco ($60) and the new Beautyrest and it was sheer heaven. :)

Reply #7 Nov 14, 2010 2:00 PM
Congratulations on finding something that works for you.  Even if it only lasts a year, at $600 a year, it would take 20 years the spend the same amount of money you would drop on a high-end Hastens or Vi-Spring.  As long as there are bargains around, perhaps the Bic-pen approach to mattresses isn't all that badcheeky!
Reply #8 Nov 14, 2010 3:01 PM
Congrats on your new mattress!

If I was going to go in the direction you did I would have done something similar. You ended up with a bed that works for you at a price that was worth it :)

I think the "throwaway" concept isn't so bad if you get value for your money and if you get a few years of good use out of this it will have been well worth it.

I think this is the upper end of the price range (@900 for the set) where a good "poly mattress" can have real value.

Enjoy

Phoenix

Reply #9 Jan 21, 2018 5:07 PM
Hey ubercool,
I just wanted to say thanks for your detailed post and diligent updates! I'm finally replacing the same mattress from 1993 and also had no idea what to look for or where to start as I also love this firm yet springy mattress that has lasted me 25 years. Modern mattresses are way too soft and seem to give out quickly. This is a great lead for me. Going to head down to the store and look for another Simmons. Thank you all!
This message was modified Jan 21, 2018 by redbunkbed

Recent Posts