What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
May 2, 2011 2:34 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a foundation for a latex mattress that will fit into a regular bed frame? I'm looking for maximum motion suppression, minimum noise - I guess good build quality will accomplish this. A slats-only base wont work since the bed frame is only 6" off the ground and I like too add some height.

Thanks!

Re: What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
Reply #3 May 2, 2011 5:17 PM
If there is a local dealer near you...you can probably get a Natura 10" queen base for $250 or $300 tops...but it is made of solid hardwood, no laminates, no plywood...its well worth the price.  www.naturaworld.com  check their dealer locator
Reply #4 May 5, 2011 10:04 AM
Thanks for that recommendation - for anyone else interested, amazon has it for 270:

http://www.amazon.com/Natura-Organic-Mattress-Foundation-Queen/dp/B003DSGNC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1304604000&sr=1-1

Reply #5 May 6, 2011 1:09 AM
I have this bad boy: http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Living-Queen-Wood-Frame/dp/B002KQ5KQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1304658315&sr=1-1

Didn't work that well with spring mattresses but with my latex bed it works great, and has decent clearance (13-14") for under bed storage. Plus it's silent, no squeaks or anything, possibly because most of it is wood.

Biggest downside is putting it together/taking it apart when you have to move. It takes a while for each slat. 

Reply #6 May 6, 2011 11:40 AM
I probably wouldn't recommend the above foundation if its exactly as pictured.  Not because it would damage the mattress but I think the type of slats (curved) used will bend significantly under weight and possibly make the mattress feel uneven, especially if it is a thinner latex mattress.  
Reply #7 May 6, 2011 1:20 PM
I'd think there would be any number of Co's that offer platform foundations that look like traditional box springs.  We bought a new foundation with our latex mattress last fall.  Looks, fits into a traditional bed frame just as a box springs would.  Ours is covered in same material as the mattress.  Offered in 2 different heights and no noticable give to it.  It is supported full length along both sides by the bed frame as a box spring would.  One requirement that the Co required was for a qween was the foundation needed to be supported in at least one place on the center all the way to the floor.  Top surface is fairly thick slats on about 5-6" centers.  Don't recall the specific cost as we bought as a set but think the cost was close to $200.
Reply #8 May 10, 2011 3:35 PM
budgy wrote:

I probably wouldn't recommend the above foundation if its exactly as pictured.  Not because it would damage the mattress but I think the type of slats (curved) used will bend significantly under weight and possibly make the mattress feel uneven, especially if it is a thinner latex mattress.  

I am indeed using bent wood under my latex mattress and I have the same concern as Budgy about it. I thought from the beginning, "this isn't going to last". It provided an excellent feel for my latex mattress. But now that excellent feel is beginning to deteriorate. I cannot be sure it's the frame/foundation. It could just be me. But I am concerned which is why I want to buy something with a similar feel but more substantial. See my thread on foundations and the suggestions given me there.

Reply #9 May 10, 2011 5:06 PM
That's good feedback on those adjustable frames - I had wondered about that too.

Here's another slat frame option I found on amazon. Seems sturdy from the reveiws.

Reply #10 May 11, 2011 6:48 AM
Is there any reason that a plywood platform would not be suitable for a latex mattress? Does latex need to "breathe"?
This message was modified May 11, 2011 by Phoebe2011
Reply #12 May 11, 2011 9:34 PM
proof1st wrote:

That's good feedback on those adjustable frames - I had wondered about that too.

Here's another slat frame option I found on amazon. Seems sturdy from the reveiws.

Yes latex should breathe, and this frame at amazon looks like it would be fine. I want something like this but adjustable in terms of firmness/softness (not adjustable in terms of raising or lowering).

Recent Posts