Best foundation for latex?
Mar 10, 2009 3:13 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the sturdiest, most cost-effective foundation for a latex mattress? I was eye-balling one of the frame/boxspring combo things like the Smart Base steel frame (http://www.smartbasesteelbedframe.com/). Didn't know if anyone might have experience with it or something similar.

Thanks.
Re: Best foundation for latex?
Reply #1 Mar 10, 2009 8:02 PM
For latex or foam I would want something with a solid flat surface. The most cost effective solution would be to get a traditional box foundation from a local mattress store (or used), adding some hardwood sheets if the users are heavy. Some people advocate using a slatted foundation to let the latex "breathe" but I believe that you would need to find a foundation with slats that are spaced tightly for this to work safely. 
This message was modified Mar 10, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #2 Mar 24, 2009 10:17 PM
I have a memory foam bed in transit to my house. I did not order a matching foundation and am planning to use my existing box spring with hardwood between the mattress and box spring.

My current king bed has two twin-ish sized box springs. I am thinking of just getting some medium density fibreboard at the local Lowes or Home Depot for about $20-$40. Is there a recommended thickness that would be needed to lay onto the box spring and give the foam mattress the required support? I was thinking two 76"W x 40L" 1/2" thick MDF boards. Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply #3 Mar 25, 2009 5:01 AM
Half inch plywood or MDF should be fine. Standard foundations are just some widely spaced slats with cardboard over the top covered by some padded material.
Reply #4 Mar 25, 2009 9:23 AM
I'm glad this question came up. Does anyone really believe that a latex mattress needs to "breathe"? After all, it's inside a mattress cover with a pad on top and sheets. Would a slat foundation really allow air to circulate around the latex?  I just ordered a platform bed from Charles Rogers in NYC that will be delivered next week.  The platform is solid wood with fabric over it to keep the mattress from sliding around. I can't believe this would not be appropriate since the bed it designed to be used with foam mattresses (I haven't ordered the mattress yet.)  Just wondering what your opinions are about the breathing issue. Thanks.

Ilene

Reply #5 Mar 25, 2009 9:27 AM
stuman74 wrote:
I have a memory foam bed in transit to my house. I did not order a matching foundation and am planning to use my existing box spring with hardwood between the mattress and box spring.

My current king bed has two twin-ish sized box springs. I am thinking of just getting some medium density fibreboard at the local Lowes or Home Depot for about $20-$40. Is there a recommended thickness that would be needed to lay onto the box spring and give the foam mattress the required support? I was thinking two 76"W x 40L" 1/2" thick MDF boards. Thanks in advance for your input!

Unless you are planning on standing on it (putting a lot of pressure in one spot), I don't think a 1/2" thickness would be needed. By the time the latex or in your case, memory foam is on top, the weight would be dispersed over a greater area. In fact 1/2" mdf is very heavy in and of itself. The box foundation I have is covered with a fairly thin material and it seems to handle 8" of latex and two people very well.
Reply #6 Mar 25, 2009 9:36 AM
Beanie wrote:
I'm glad this question came up. Does anyone really believe that a latex mattress needs to "breathe"? After all, it's inside a mattress cover with a pad on top and sheets. Would a slat foundation really allow air to circulate around the latex?  I just ordered a platform bed from Charles Rogers in NYC that will be delivered next week.  The platform is solid wood with fabric over it to keep the mattress from sliding around. I can't believe this would not be appropriate since the bed it designed to be used with foam mattresses (I haven't ordered the mattress yet.)  Just wondering what your opinions are about the breathing issue. Thanks.

Ilene

What you ordered should be fine. The latex will still breathe unless you have it in some kind of waterproof cover (which I wouldn't advise). 

A while back, I put a thick towel under my 8" of latex to see if it would 'bring up' the middle section a little, as I am a sometime stomach sleeper.  This was suggested to me by a bed maker as a way to counteract my spine being inverted by stomach sleeping.  Well what came out of this was that I could feel the towel under the latex, even through 8" of it. And it felt really strange. What I'm getting at is that I don't like the idea of the slatted foundations only for the latex as I think it might create a strange feeling to sleep on.  I think the smoother the better.  Note - this is my opinion only as I know alot of folks have these slatted foundations.

Reply #7 Mar 25, 2009 9:51 AM
This is all great feedback!

For my foam mattress that is in transit (the Costco ARA Sleep Science King bed) I was planning to put a waterproof cover over it just because we have 5 year olds that could be prone to spilling something (no matter how much I try to discourage drinking in the bed while watching TV). It sounds like for latex beds that is not a good idea, but is it a problem for the memory foam beds as well?

If the 1/2" thick MDF boards are overkill, do you think 3/16" would be too thin? From what I read, it should be as solid as the floor for best performance. But realistically, does it have to be? I know I am just trying to cheap out and save a couple hundred bucks by not buying a new foundation, but I do what the mattress to have the intended performance. Thanks!
Reply #8 Mar 26, 2009 5:29 PM

Hello, this is Dewey from FloBeds. We have a hands off policy regarding discussions, even though were a sponsor of this forum. However, this thread, “Best foundation for latex” has some information we fear might lead someone to damaging their latex mattress.

We strongly believe a latex mattress *must* be placed on slatted foundation or a high quality box spring. This is because a continuous wood service, (ie platform) has the potential for creating an environment in which condensation can occur. Condensation occurs when a cool surface and a wood surface meet. We have all seen a window pane collect moisture on a cold night. This is moisture in the warmer air condensing on the cooler surface of the window. The same thing can happen with a warm mattress and cool platform. We warm up the mattress at night with our body heat, and if the surface of the platform is cool enough…condensation will form. If air is not circulating and eliminating moisture collection, mold will occur.

Sorry for the intrusion, but felt it was important for people to know. We really appreciate the frank and open discussion in this forum.

Remember, your dreams may vary…

Reply #9 Mar 26, 2009 9:54 PM
I sent a note to South Bay International (maker of the bed I ordered from Costco) asking where I can get one of their foundations. They said they don't sell them separately. They recommended that I pick one up from another maker at a local bed store.

I was looking at a Serta Stabl Base foundation...would this be sufficient? Or is this intended for a spring mattress? Here's a link to it from the Sears site (yes, I would need to order two).
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_08293350000P?vName=For+the+Home&cName=Mattresses&keyword=serta+king+foundation
Reply #10 Mar 27, 2009 1:12 AM
Thank you Dewey for letting us know why you recommend a slat foundation.  I have the FloBeds Pine Slat Foundation and I am happy with it especially the tall legs so I can store clothes under my bed.
Reply #11 Mar 27, 2009 5:44 AM
Any standard (non-box spring) foundation should work with a Memory Foam mattress. Call a local discount mattress store in your area. You should be able to get one pretty inexpensively.

Dewey made an interesting point about the potential for condensation to occur when a warm foam mattress meets a cool piece of wood. This is more likely to happen in humid climates than in arid ones. If you're still set on using a sheet of plywood or MDF however, it would probably be a good idea to cover the wood by slipping a mattress pad, sheet or bed skirt over it to keep the mattress from resting directly on the wood.

From experience I wouldn't recommend placing a foam mattress--especially a Talalay latex mattress on an box spring. This makes the mattress way too bouncy--and Talalay is bouncy enough all by itself. Years ago latex mattresses came with box springs--but they were Dunlop latex, which is less bouncy, and only about 5 1/2" thick. A box spring foundation just makes today's 9-12"  latex mattresses hammock. Memory foam mattresses should always be placed on a solid foundation. I think Tempurpedic tells you the warranty is void if the mattress is placed on anything else.

Reply #12 Mar 27, 2009 9:07 AM
I guess my dreams do vary...

I will not be changing my mattress setup from being on the smooth box type foundation that I am currently using. There's no other foundation that makes more sense to me for a latex mattress.  This setup does have some breathability. The *theory* that condensation can occur if a latex mattress is placed on a flat surface seems very plausible; but I think in the real world, not very probable.  I have studied the latex mattress topic with a passion the last 8 mos and have never heard or read of this situation where someone's latex mattress developed mold from sitting on a flat surface due to condensation. That's not to say I couldn't have my mind changed....  This is just the opinion of a layman who has good intuition and common sense, but is not an expert. Just a user.

Placing a latex mattress on a regular box spring also does not make good sense to me. Too much variability in what you might get out of it. Too springy, not enough, too soft or hard in different places, noisy, etc, etc....

Reply #13 Mar 27, 2009 9:52 AM
Man, I just don't know what to do! Below is the thread of e-mails from the manufacturer of the mattress:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:27 PM
To: info@sbsleepscience.com
Subject: Help please

Hello,

I recently ordered one of your Sleep Science ARA King-sized mattresses from Costco that should be delivered next week. However, it looks like I ordered just the mattress, not the mattress and foundation set. I live near Chicago and was wondering where I can buy an appropriate foundation for this bed? Or one that you recommend.

Here is the exact mattress I ordered: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11307421&hierPath=93*1924*78455*67414*&whse=BC&topnav=&Browse=〈=en-US#reviews

I do not see foundations separately from Costco on their site.

Thanks

2009/3/26 southbay info <info@southbayinternational.com>

Hello:

Thank you for purchasing an Ara mattress. We appreciate your business. Any box spring that has a continuous sold surface (no slats) is appropriate for a memory foam mattress. If you can call around to a local mattress store, they should have one. If you have a platform bed or a bed frame that is off the floor, you could put down a ¾” piece of plywood and set the mattress on top of that. If you currently have a box spring with slats, you could also place the plywood on top of that.

Unfortunately, the foundation we sell is not offered as an individual item at any of our customers retail outlets.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Customer Service
South Bay International

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:17 PM
To: southbay info
Subject: Re: Help please

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I'll have to check my current box springs...I don't think they have slats, but I will confirm. Sounds like if they do, then I can get some plywood to lay between the box spring and mattress. If they do not have slats, will laying the thick (3/4") plywood still work? The box springs under my current king bed are two ~twin-sized box springs.

Thanks

2009/3/26 southbay info <info@southbayinternational.com>
Hello:

Yes, ¾” plywood is fine, two box springs put together is fine. That is how our foundations come as well.

Best regards,
Customer Service
~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Reply #14 Mar 27, 2009 6:37 PM
Interesting reply from Sleep Science since the foundation they sell with the ARA memory foam mattress has several LARGE open areas between the metal bars, at least 6 inches in each direction. However, they do include several sheets of thin, flimsy, plastic panels which cover the entire foundation (these panels are as thin as a cardboard box but made of plastic).

I say use the foundation that you currently have with some solid paneling on top. If moisture is a concern you can always add some kind of material between the mattress and foundation. Remember, Costco will come pick up the mattress for any reason if you aren't happy.

The moisture concern is interesting! Living in the desert we never worry about too much moisture!

Darren

This message was modified Mar 27, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #15 Mar 29, 2009 10:17 PM
One of the latest posts I read actually dealt with condensation build up under a latex mattress! 

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/now-that-we-got-our-first-wonderful-latex-topper/4804-0-1.html

zsbhi says "slept on the floor on our new 4 inch latex and the PU base until we built a slat platform on 2x10 lumber--now we have a sturdy, solid, breathable foundation.
While we were on the floor we did notice a buildup of sweaty smelling condensation under where my husband sleeps in 3 days.
Now the mattress is breathing."

Just wanted to redirect in case it helps someone reading this thread.

Recent Posts