My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #55 Feb 18, 2010 9:29 AM
IMO you should raise a stink like the other guy did and get a refund.  The PU won't last, and you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't back out of this mistake now.   Then you can get what you originally *wanted* to get.  And make sure that the company you go to for your 100% latex bed has a generous return policy.  Latex is wonderful stuff, but it isn't for everybody.
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #56 Feb 18, 2010 1:39 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
Do battle!!

You mean to tell me you didn't read the lable BEFORE you bought the bed?

Alice

most people don't.  the nice attractive label doesn't list polyurethane.  just the law tag on the other end of the bed, but most people don't know these tags contain this kind of info.  its certainly a handy tool to know to use when you are being very specific about what you want (or don't want)
Reply #57 Feb 18, 2010 2:41 PM
My Sealy Truform mattress has a "cashmere" cover that was so highly raved about on their cover and paperwork.  Then read the label when you get it home, 4% cashmere!  The rest was rayon, and something else.  Seems like you should not be able to say latex or cashmere unless it is ALL cashmere or latex.  Or be truthful and say what else is in it.  Buyer beware.

Also latex people think it is always natural because it doesn't say.
Reply #58 Feb 18, 2010 3:39 PM
Textiles is a major one that most companies are not upfront with their labelling. We also see it more and more with bamboo based textiles, where the actual bamboo content is very low.  Although bamboo itself really is overrated, even 100% bamboo is usually a rayon fabric so the whole 'eco friendly' mythos attached to bamboo is completely false when being used as a textile.  Cashmere is another one I have seen commonly, less than 5% content, real 100% cashmere products are rare and expensive, a full set of 100% cashmere sheets made on a proper full width loom, will run probably in the range of $15,000 USD to start. 

There is also a lot of bastardization in the world of cotton products, 'Egyptian Cotton' sheets being sold for less than $200 for a set are usually less than 5% actual Egyptian cotton content and the remaining cotton threads will be spun from regular american staple cotton.  Thread counts being listed as high as 1000, when in reality there is no such thing, the highest thread count with cotton is somewhere around 400, and if you see something even that high it is more than likely a 2ply (twisted yarn) 200TC cotton percale.  Truly high quality woven textiles are very pricey.
Reply #59 Feb 18, 2010 5:58 PM
Bamboo.................we had bamboo floors in the gym, going green and all that, had to take them out because people were allergic to them!! Big red rashes all up and down their arms and legs. We really had to search to find some people are allergic to bamboo.

Go figure.

Alice

Reply #60 Feb 18, 2010 6:18 PM
Is it just me or does the cushiony mattress casing take away form the gelatinous, springy feel of the latex layers?? I just got my latex mattress layers a couple nights ago from SleepEZ and I've been trying to figure out what's going on with it. The latex feels bouncier, fluffier, and springy without the casing on it. Anyone else notice this?? I've been thinking of getting the covering instead of using the mattress casing they provided.  
This message was modified Feb 18, 2010 by london79
Reply #61 Feb 18, 2010 6:21 PM
horseluvr wrote:
I have also been duped by Mattress Firm. I bought the same bed as London79 and also asked if there was anything in the bed besides latex and was told no. Of course, the label tells another story. Dang it!! The bed sleeps really good, too. For $2400, I would expect 100% latex like I wanted in the first place. Should've gone with SleepEZ. Now I am torn with what to do with what I have. Risk it not lasting as long as I had hoped, or doing battle with Mattress Firm. Hummmn. Any thoughts?

The crooks at the Mattress Firm are used car salesmen. Very dishonest people. You have to boldly call them out on it and attack their sensibilities.  
Reply #62 Feb 20, 2010 7:56 PM
horseluvr wrote:
 Risk it not lasting as long as I had hoped, or doing battle with Mattress Firm. Hummmn. Any thoughts?

IMO the risk is not worth it; better to fight the good fight right now than be kicking yourself later, when it's too late to do anything about it, for not having done so.
This message was modified Feb 20, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer

Recent Posts