My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #1 Jan 31, 2010 2:00 PM
should I just take the initiative to say you should really consider a latex mattress as many people here have done?

They typically have very minimal sagging even after long periods of time, (20 years is a realistic expectation on the life span).  If you are buying a NATURAL latex mattress dust mites are really not much of a concern, most of the better ones will covered with wool and cotton to be breathable and protect the foam cores from moisture damage over time.  And again if you are buying natural latex they would be basically free from petro chemicals and be much healthier to sleep on.  They tend to conform well to body shape, but they are not heat sensitive like memory foam products so they feel more like traditional mattresses, just without the issues. 

Being that you are in Canada the price range for a top of the line latex mattress in a queen size will be starting around $2000 and easily go up to $3500.  Do a search on natural latex mattress in Canada on google, or organic mattresses in Canada if you want to see the best of the best.
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #2 Jan 31, 2010 2:13 PM
hi,

it was very helpful for me to read the various postings on this site re: 100% latex which addressed most of your concerns.  however, don't know if you can get deals like some of us did at costco.  try not to rush .  good luck.
Reply #3 Jan 31, 2010 4:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Wow, I feel like I should be given a bunch of academic credit or something for all the research I have to do just to be able to make an informed choice about what mattress to buy!

After reading your guys' posts I did some preliminary reading about latex.  I realized that the world of latex mattresses in and of itself contains a ton of knowledge that I must familiarize myself with.

I also really appreciate your informed perspective, budgy.   I really like how you can diffuse all the marketing hype of mattress makers/sellers and post the straight-goods for the benefit of consumers like myself.

budgy,  is it possible for you to give me a break down of the key points I should insist on that any latex mattress I look at has, before purchasing one?

I noticed that a person at this link reported problems with sagging in his latex mattress:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/10087923-post136/

...but I'm presuming that is because there are issues with that brand/model that someone like yourself, budgy, would have been able to discern before buying, but a layperson consumer like us cannot. 

In other words, I'd love it if you can give me the info I need so that I don't make a similar mistake to that guy by ending up buying a latex mattress that sags or has any other issues.

Although, that specific brand and model does seem to be relatively popular among marginally-or-better informed consumers in my city, based on their posts endorsing it in that same thread.

Is there something that they are missing that makes that particular brand and/or model a bad choice? 

Reply #4 Jan 31, 2010 5:34 PM
After 20 years of sleeping on waterbeds, my last one wore out, so I decided to try something different.

I started looking in the brick-and-mortar stores at latex beds. I was seriously considering a Stearns and Foster latex mattress and box springs. This was principally because I found a young salesman who was quite good and very appealing. But as I always like to do I began to do research on the Internet. It soon became quite clear to me that it was very difficult to find out what you're actually purchasing when you purchase from the big S. brand companies.

So to make a long story short I wound up purchasing from FlowBeds, and all 100% natural latex California King mattress. I have been very pleased with it. To keep this post limited I will just point you towards a very long thread that I started entitled, "Just bought a new FlowBeds." it is up to at least 150 posts by now, and if you want to read all of it, you'll have to go to the very bottom and click on the "All" button.

Don't get discouraged as most manufacturers don't really want you to understand much of anything, except what they tell you is the truth. But this website, if properly utilized ( read that extensively researched) will help you muddle through.

Good luck with your purchase.
Reply #5 Jan 31, 2010 7:34 PM
the Sleep Country latex mattresses made by Restwell are all small amounts of latex on top of "soy based" polyurethane foam.  They are not in a true sense of the word an all latex mattress.  I can see some people being happy with them but at the same time not surprised the odd one would get returned.  I recently checked these mattresses out locally and the guy couldn't tell me anything.  Luckily I know what latex 'feels' like and a quick push on the edge of the mattress revealed the polyfoam core.  I was told that the core is all soy (no such thing, its soy-based poly), and is organic.  Lots of misinformation from the big box stores on this type of product.  I was also told the latex was all natural and I am quite sure it is a synthetic blend (70% synthetic). 

In keeping with the health benefits of being a natural product it doesn't make any sense to use poly-foams or polyester covers and or fibres.  A top quality latex mattress worthy of commanding the higher sticker prices will be quilted with all natural materials in addition to only using natural latex in the core. 
Reply #6 Jan 31, 2010 7:38 PM
I wonder whether that mattress the guy reported on in the link you gave was really 100% latex.  I suspect it may have been a few inches of latex on top of a PU foam base, which is what a lot of the major mattress manufacturers do.  I have not heard many, if any, reported issues with sagging in latex mattresses, and I have had my new 100% latex mattress for about 3 months now, with absolutely no sag. 

I highly recommend a latex mattress.  Budgy can help you track down a reputable dealer, as he is a dealer in Canada himself.
Reply #7 Jan 31, 2010 7:45 PM
unfortunately in the GVA there have been a couple of independent stores that have recently shut down.  Which would explain why we have sold quite a few mattresses into the area the last year.  Sleep Country Canada is huge in that region I believe that is where they started.
Reply #8 Jan 31, 2010 8:03 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I wonder whether that mattress the guy reported on in the link you gave was really 100% latex.  I suspect it may have been a few inches of latex on top of a PU foam base, which is what a lot of the major mattress manufacturers do.

I'm sure you and budgy are right about that.  I feel bad that bed sellers aren't legally required to adhere to full disclosure standards and not have any misleading or omitted wording.

No doubt the reason why consumers like me and who posted in that other thread are confused is because of misleading information stated & omitted by bed sellers (they certainly don't advertise that sagging will occur, although their warranties and consumer complaints make it obvious).

I am thankful that I learned for sure not to buy a pillowtop/eurotop.  Yet all the spring mattresses I've seen advertised online by local sellers have been pillowtop/eurotop and no doubt with PU foam that will break down.

What I don't get is, why do consumers keep buying those PU-loaded spring mattresses that will inevitably sag after a little while?  I can certainly see how they could get scammed by that the first time, as I very well might have been myself had I not performed extensive research before buying.  But I would think that eventually the word would spread and no one would willingly buy mattresses that are pre-destined to fail.    So what's up with why those types of bad mattresses are so ludicrously prevalent?

Reply #9 Jan 31, 2010 8:36 PM
"But I would think that eventually the word would spread and no one would willingly buy mattresses that are pre-destined to fail."

Because there are a woefully large number of ignorant people, who seem to almost revel in their ignorance, and are therefore doomed to remain ignorant. They will continue to get fleeced by the manufacturers who understand this.
Reply #10 Feb 1, 2010 1:10 AM
Here's another vote for flobeds, because if you don't like it you can return it, no problem, and you can experiment with the configuration until you get it right or send it back.

My only contribution to your decision process is to tell you this:

Be aware that not everyone likes the feel of pure foam without springs. If you are one of those, you have a dilemma because there are almost no reasonably priced GOOD spring mattresses out there - they all have too much foam in them.

So if you turn out to be a person who needs springs, you have to buy as inexpensive of a mattress as you can get, with good springs and open 'er up and replace the foam with latex, as I have done. There are threads on mattress surgery here.

Here's my take on "What's the Best Mattress":
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/experts-answer-question-what-mattress-should-i-buy/6097-0-1.html
This message was modified Feb 1, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #11 Feb 1, 2010 1:35 AM
I definitely like the good consensus about FloBeds.  I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if they ship to Canada, and if so if they ship via U.S.P.S.  I hate courier companies and refuse to do business with them because they always try to rip me off with bogus scam charges on cross-border shipments.

I never ordered anything as big as a bed via shipment with U.S.P.S. though. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have limits for size or weight of parcels.  That would be another dilemma of me getting a bad deal either way if I was forced to choose between a bad mattress or get scammed by bogus courier company charges. But I guess sometimes life is full is nonsense like that. 

I really appreciate all the good advice from you guys, thanks!

Before I came to this site I was on the fence about maybe buying a PU spring mattress because they are the most readily available and cheapest and I figured maybe I'd get lucky and mine wouldn't get fubared over time, but after reading around on this site including in this thread, I am rightfully more disgusted than ever with PU spring mattresses and am resolved never to buy one, period.  I'm sure I will be happy about that decision at least  in the long run.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #12 Feb 1, 2010 9:49 AM
you might check out whether there are similar, reputable companies to Flobeds, etc. in Canada.  I can only imagine how expensive it would be to ship a latex bed and pay the taxes, duties, etc.  Further, one of the greatest benefits of Flobeds is their very generous exchange policies, which allow you to trade latex layers until you get just the configuration you need.  That would be an added expense if you found you needed to swap out a layer of latex.
Reply #13 Feb 1, 2010 10:30 AM
I know I'm not a favorite BUT I love the bed I "made"! I read a whole lot on this site as well as many of the foam sites. I am so very grateful for all the really excellent information. My futon-with-springs is working for me as a great, cheap base/box springs, with 3 sheets of latex from Overstock. Ya, everyone says it's a "mix" but I took my Costco bed apart, I called all the companies and it sure looks, feels and doesn't smell like a "mix". Whatever, it's working for me, I feel great! This is the 1st time in 20 years I have been off air and I just can't begin to tell you how happy I am!! How grateful, not a kink, pain or anything else. On top of that Costco had a super little air cleaner which licked the off gases problem. So reasonable I bought two.

The $1100.00 bed goes back to Costco this week, to be picked up by the same delivery man who dropped it off, ALL included in the price of the bed. Now how can you beat that? The bed I configured myself cost $500.

Thanks to all and budgy for giving me a heads-up on the off gases, nasty stuff. Funny, seems like all futons smell like hay, I called Cannon (it's made in the USA) and asked about it. They are suppose to call me back today. I want to hear why it smells like hay. It feels like I'm sleeping in a barn, the dogs love it! Of course!

Happy days to all and thanks for getting me off air!

Alice in Wonderland

Reply #14 Feb 1, 2010 7:34 PM
Shortly before Christmas Costco had a 100% latex bed for sale.  They sold out pretty quickly, and i didn't get one, but several people on this board did and they have been enthusiastically endorsed by everybody.  Supposedly Costco is going to have them back in stock in a few weeks, you might want to wait and check for it.  The label is Sleep Science.  The prices were fantastic, and the return guarantee was pretty good too.

I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter when they're back in stock.
Reply #15 Feb 1, 2010 11:37 PM
Friends, 100% latex mattresses will last for years and won't sag. It's that polyurethane crap they stick in the mattress. That also keeps the cost down. I had to learn the hard way and blow a couple thousand. I kept replacing latex layers in my old latex/PU mattress but kept getting the same results. I never thought it would be that crumby core foam. 100% latex is the best sleep surface. I just wish it was more affordable and the new standard. I just sprang $1800 for a queen 100% Serta latex. I have a platform bed with slats so I don't need a boxspring. Will finally get to enjoy some quality sleep after all these years.
Reply #16 Feb 2, 2010 3:15 PM
london79 wrote:
Friends, 100% latex mattresses will last for years and won't sag. It's that polyurethane crap they stick in the mattress. That also keeps the cost down. I had to learn the hard way and blow a couple thousand. I kept replacing latex layers in my old latex/PU mattress but kept getting the same results. I never thought it would be that crumby core foam. 100% latex is the best sleep surface. I just wish it was more affordable and the new standard. I just sprang $1800 for a queen 100% Serta latex. I have a platform bed with slats so I don't need a boxspring. Will finally get to enjoy some quality sleep after all these years.

london79 wrote: "100% latex is the best sleep surface. I just wish it was more affordable and the new standard."

Yes, that is the dream:
Can you imagine if the mattresses companies made at least one line of mattresses that included nothing but pure LI latex? and allowed you to choose the ILD?
Now THAT would be revolutionary! Eventually someone should get around to doing that. Even at $3000 I bet they'd get buyers. People are starting to wake up to PU foam being "Peee-YEW!" foam.

As to the Serta you just bought:
It is really 100% latex, no foam at all?
Is it on springs or just pure latex? Please give us a name and a link. I am  - forgive me -  uhhh.... skeptical.
This message was modified Feb 2, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #17 Feb 2, 2010 5:18 PM
jimsocal wrote:
As to the Serta you just bought:
It is really 100% latex, no foam at all?
Is it on springs or just pure latex? Please give us a name and a link. I am  - forgive me -  uhhh.... skeptical.

That question was one of my concerns. According to the product's description, yes. It is all latex foam.

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Serta-Opulence-Plush-P43.aspx

Also, i spoke with the local Serta rep in my city. The core is an 8" 28ILD talalay layer that's 36ILD around the edges. The website doesn't give a depth so I had to find out on my own. The soft layer being the top. There is no other foam present in the innards. Well, except for the quilted cover.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2010 by london79
Reply #18 Feb 3, 2010 12:32 PM
Greetings fellow Torontonian!  I've been researching mattresses for countless hours and I'm ready to buy.  Problem is I can't find a Canadian retailer who sells Sleep Science or comparable brand.  Did you make a decision?  Care to share?    Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply #19 Feb 3, 2010 3:30 PM
london79 wrote:
That question was one of my concerns. According to the product's description, yes. It is all latex foam.

Also, i spoke with the local Serta rep in my city. The core is an 8" 28ILD talalay layer that's 36ILD around the edges. The website doesn't give a depth so I had to find out on my own. The soft layer being the top. There is no other foam present in the innards. Well, except for the quilted cover.

I'm sorry but I ain't buying that this is 100% latex. If it was, why would they not state for example what kind of latex it is and what ILD's are involved?
If they told you the base was 8" of Talalay then why would they not have told you what the other 5 and 1/2" are on top of it?
It makes no sense to advertise a "100% latex" mattress and then not describe the entire contents.
Also, nowhere on the page you gave us, above, does it SAY "100% latex"!

No, I smell a fish.

Add to that, that Serta is known to be the bottom of the barrel of the Big S companies... Even Sealy's latex mattresses are not all latex... The whole thing makes no sense.

I will apologize and admit I am wrong if it is shown that I am.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL when asking questions of some mattress sales people. If you ask "Is it 100% latex" they will say "yes, it is" meaning that yes, the 2" piece that is included in the mattress is "100% latex". What you have to ask is, "Are there any other foams included in the mattress that are not 100% latex?" And "So what are the other layers besides the 8" of Talalay? There are 5½" more - what are they made of?

And I would also ask, "Who makes the Talalay processed latex? Is it Latex International or who? Is it U.S. made or ?
Reply #20 Feb 3, 2010 4:21 PM
jimsocal wrote:
I'm sorry but I ain't buying that this is 100% latex. If it was, why would they not state for example what kind of latex it is and what ILD's are involved?
If they told you the base was 8" of Talalay then why would they not have told you what the other 5 and 1/2" are on top of it?
It makes no sense to advertise a "100% latex" mattress and then not describe the entire contents.

No, I smell a fish.

Add to that, that Serta is known to be the bottom of the barrel of the Big S companies... Even Sealy's latex mattresses are not all latex... The whole thing makes no sense.

I will apologize and admit I am wrong if it is shown that I am.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL when asking questions of some mattress sales people. If you ask "Is it 100% latex" they will say "yes, it is" meaning that yes, the 2" piece that is included in the mattress is "100% latex". What you have to ask is, "Are there any other foams included in the mattress that are not 100% latex?" And "So what are the other layers besides the 8" of Talalay? There are 5½" more - what are they made of?

And I would also ask, "Who makes the Talalay processed latex? Is it Latex International or who? Is it U.S. made or ?

Actually, he didn't say there were 5 1/2 other inches on top. 8" of Talalay, 2.5" of "convoluted" latex, .5 inches of some kind of latex that stays cool, and the rest being the quilted covering. The rep did reassure me there was no other foam besides talalay present in the mattress. Now, whether or not he was being honest, I can't tell you that. I have 90 days to try it out. I should know by then whether or not the product will perform. Especially since I sleep in the middle when it's just me.
Reply #21 Feb 3, 2010 6:26 PM
I agree about the "I smell a fish."  I haven't ever seen a mattress made by an "S" company that was really 100% latex.  What I suggest you do, is take a very careful look at the label when the bed arrives.  You'll be able to read the entire content of the mattress and if you see any foam other than latex in the "ingredient list," send that puppy right back.  I hope you have a money back guarantee.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the price.  $1800 for an all latex bed is at least $200-300 less than it "should" be.  Having extensively priced latex mattresses, in queen size, you can get a *quality* mattress for around $2000, but not less unless you're going to a discount place like . . . foambymail and doing a DIY project.

I think the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress is the only *legitimate* first quality all latex mattress out there that might run under $2k, and although people have raved about it, I have my doubts about the quality of the latex in that.  I suspect fillers . . . though not having seen or tried it first hand, my suspicions are absolutely baseless.
Reply #22 Feb 3, 2010 7:06 PM
shelli2k wrote:
Greetings fellow Torontonian!  I've been researching mattresses for countless hours and I'm ready to buy.  Problem is I can't find a Canadian retailer who sells Sleep Science or comparable brand.  Did you make a decision?  Care to share?    Your input would be greatly appreciated.

After much reasoning, I'm inclined to go with FloBeds.  I called them up the other day and they seemed very friendly and knowledgable and they didn't try to pressure me at all. 

I am not sure there is a Canadian equivalent to FloBeds.  If there is, then I don't have the time to expend in finding it.  I feel like I could spend dozens of more hours searching, and it would  probably be in vain, when perhaps I already have the answer right in front of me: FloBeds. 

When I called FloBeds they told me that they do ship to Canada and I got the impression that they have fulfilled quite a few Canadian orders already.

However, I am loathe to order from them simply because they ship via courier companies, who always try to charge bogus, undisclosed 'brokerage' charges at the last minute and/or after delivery, on cross-border shipments.  I asked FloBeds if they could ship to me via United States Postal Service instead so I could avoid that, and he said that they are willing to, however they would have to ship the bed in 9 boxes instead of the 6 it would normally ship in (I may be misremembering the exact numbers, but it was something like that). 

They also said that if I ordered a bed frame from them as well, then they couldn't ship via U.S.P.S. because the package would be too large for U.S.P.S. to accept.

When I told them about my concern, I think the FloBed guys didn't understand that courier companies charge bogus 'brokerage' charges on cross-border shipments.  They told me that they didn't know how much the brokerage charge would be and referred me to the CBSA to find out...which was nice of them from a customer service perspective - they did everything in their power to help resolve my concern.  But it wasn't much use.   I don't think they understand that 'brokerage' charges are not a fair, uniform rate that everyone charges equally based on a legal standard (which I would accept, if that were the case), but rather courier companies have a habit of pulling their bogus, hidden 'brokerage' charge amounts out of places that it would be impolite to mention.  

In other words, I have nothing bad to say about FloBeds itself-they seem like a great company- but it is unfortunate that buying from them creates big shipping problems due to the IMO nefarious shipping entities that they must outsource the delivery to in order to get the bed to me. 

Even so, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a FloBed one way or another.   On the whole, I'd rather get scammed by bogus courier company charges than get scammed by buying a bed with awful polyurethane foam in it that is definitely going to break down in a few months.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #23 Feb 3, 2010 7:35 PM
Well I have a Flobeds and I was terrified of buying a mattress I'd never tried online . .. but I have been really happy with the mattress and the customer service.  Not sure what to say about the shipping to Canada, except that it sounds like you'll be at the mercy of the shippers, which is really unfortunate.  I have one other idea.  Why don't you contact Latex International directly and find out if they supply latex to any mattress manufacturers in Canada?  If you could go directly to a Canadian source and order your latex there . . .I mean, as great as Flobeds is, basically they are selling you Latex International latex with a very nice cotton and wool zippered mattress cover.  If you can source the exact same latex in Canada, and a zippered latex cover, then you can probably save yourself a whack of money.  But use the mattress advisor on LI's site to figure out what ILDs to order your latex.
Reply #24 Feb 3, 2010 7:46 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
I agree about the "I smell a fish."  I haven't ever seen a mattress made by an "S" company that was really 100% latex.  What I suggest you do, is take a very careful look at the label when the bed arrives.  You'll be able to read the entire content of the mattress and if you see any foam other than latex in the "ingredient list," send that puppy right back.  I hope you have a money back guarantee.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the price.  $1800 for an all latex bed is at least $200-300 less than it "should" be.  Having extensively priced latex mattresses, in queen size, you can get a *quality* mattress for around $2000, but not less unless you're going to a discount place like . . . foambymail and doing a DIY project.

Yes, and $1800 is their listed price! We all know that S Co's always list one price and then sell it about 25-40% less than that. So that price for an all latex mattress just doesn't sound right.
I would try talking to someone else about it, see if they give you the same info... Maybe call the Serta Company and talk to someone there, or a dealer - whoever you have not talked with yet...

I'll say this, if it is as they are telling you , it is a pretty good deal.

If you are sure you get a 30 day trial, then give it a shot! But be very wary.
Reply #25 Feb 3, 2010 7:51 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

I think the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress is the only *legitimate* first quality all latex mattress out there that might run under $2k, and although people have raved about it, I have my doubts about the quality of the latex in that.  I suspect fillers . . . though not having seen or tried it first hand, my suspicions are absolutely baseless.

I did provide a link for the product. It's a $2800 set but it's on sale now for $2499. I only purchased the mattress minus the boxspring. I asked for a few hundred dollars off and they agreed. Like I stated, the only non-latex padding is in the quilted covering. And that's the same quilted covering used in any mattress.

Here's the link. For some reason the "insert link" button isn't working in my browser.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by london79
Reply #26 Feb 3, 2010 8:05 PM
they *could* be using quiltable latex in the top quilted layer, however it is doubtful.  If the law label lists polyurethane then it is probably at least some polyurethane in the quilted layer (maybe an inch or so). 
Reply #27 Feb 3, 2010 8:10 PM
budgy wrote:
they *could* be using quiltable latex in the top quilted layer, however it is doubtful.  If the law label lists polyurethane then it is probably at least some polyurethane in the quilted layer (maybe an inch or so). 

I did test this bed out for a few minutes. It felt great. I'm not concerned so much with the quilted layer. I know that any other type of foam inside supporting me would be bad. And based on the specs given to me over the phone and what's on their site, there were no other types of foam mentioned or listed. I specifically asked was there any other type of foam present and the Serta rep told me there wasn't. If there is then that makes him a liar. But they give you 90 days to test it out.
This message was modified Feb 4, 2010 by london79
Reply #28 Feb 3, 2010 8:22 PM
jimsocal wrote:

Serious question. Is there some other Talalay out there I'm not aware of?? Product description says "Support Layer - 100% Talalay Core". The Serta rep said this layer is 8". Next 2.5" is "Convoluted Talalay Latex". Then the .5" "Cool Nature Latex" layer.

Also, this mattress is not the same as the Pure Response line of Sertas.

When it arrives and if there is a way to unzip it, I will take pics and post for any doubters. 
This message was modified Feb 3, 2010 by london79
Reply #29 Feb 3, 2010 9:55 PM
im gonna go out on a limb and say much to my surprise that it sounds like there isn't any polyurethane foam used in it.  however, what I do trust more than specs on a website, or even from a dealer rep (most of them don't really know), is the law label itself.  If there isn't a zip off cover, just read the law label tag.  If there is polyurethane present it will be listed on the tag.
Reply #30 Feb 4, 2010 1:48 AM
I have to admit, from what london says, it does sound like it's 100% latex. But very hard to believe. I hope it's true! Maybe this means that the Big S companies are going to finally make some quality mattresses for a change... !
Reply #31 Feb 4, 2010 2:13 AM
I think we're all going to be eagerly awaiting your report about what the law label says.  If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could even take a picture of it and post so we can all see the label.  If it actually is a 100% latex mattress a those prices, well, maybe some of us will be buying one :)
Reply #32 Feb 4, 2010 9:40 AM
KimberlyH wrote:
I think we're all going to be eagerly awaiting your report about what the law label says.  If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could even take a picture of it and post so we can all see the label.  If it actually is a 100% latex mattress a those prices, well, maybe some of us will be buying one :)

I will gladly post pics. And like I stated, I had to negotiate that price for the mattress only. I don't think you would have that option ordering online.
Reply #33 Feb 4, 2010 9:47 AM
KimberlyH wrote:

I don't think Sealy makes an all latex mattress. They all seem to have multiple layers of 3 or 4 different types of proprietary foams mixed with latex layers. Funny how this Serta model isn't on their website. It may be exclusive to the Mattress Firm only.

Also, for anyone concerned with the price being too good to be true, buying this queen mattress alone on the Mattress Firm's website will set you back $2730.
Reply #34 Feb 4, 2010 12:01 PM
i know in my neck of the woods Sealy has had a "100% Latex" mattress for years.  It still has polyurethane quilted into the cover and the latex is 100% synthetic content.  So there isn't any 'real' latex in it whatsoever.
Reply #35 Feb 4, 2010 3:37 PM
budgy wrote:
i know in my neck of the woods Sealy has had a "100% Latex" mattress for years.  It still has polyurethane quilted into the cover and the latex is 100% synthetic content.  So there isn't any 'real' latex in it whatsoever.

What does that mean, that it has 100% synthetic content? That means it has no actual rubber from the rubber tree?? Then how could they call it latex? I'm confused... I thought synthetic latex meant it was a blend of rubber from the rubber tree and -whatever they add to it.
By the way, when you buy a "blended Talalay" for example, from LI, what is the non-natural-rubber part of the blend? ((I have probably read this before but cannot for the life of me remember right now.)

But yeah, this mattress Serta has could be "100% latex" but 100% synthetic latex, then, couldn't it? Even though processed using the Talalay method?
Reply #36 Feb 4, 2010 4:56 PM
its still 'latex'.  synthetic latex means 100% synthetic.  blended latex means a blend of synthetic and natural (most latex sold is a blend of the two).  100% natural would mean the absence of synthetic rubber. 
Reply #37 Feb 5, 2010 3:16 AM
budgy wrote:
its still 'latex'.  synthetic latex means 100% synthetic.  blended latex means a blend of synthetic and natural (most latex sold is a blend of the two).  100% natural would mean the absence of synthetic rubber. 

But what IS synthetic latex?? I mean, is it pure chemicals? What chemicals? Link ?
Is it any good at all?
Reply #38 Feb 6, 2010 10:31 AM
See my thread, "I made my own Hybrid mattress" It may shed some light.
Reply #39 Feb 6, 2010 12:24 PM
jimsocal wrote:
But what IS synthetic latex?? I mean, is it pure chemicals? What chemicals? Link ?
Is it any good at all?

Yes, Synthetic Latex IS SBR Rubber (Styrene Butadiene).  It is made from petro chemical derivatives.

It's bouncy and supportive, but it has absolutely none of the hypoallergenic properties of NR (natural rubber), and it lacks the elasticity. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene-butadiene

Most latex sold in North America is Styrene Butadiene, (actually most is a blend of natural and synthetic rubber, but with more of the latter)
Reply #40 Feb 6, 2010 12:54 PM
Budgy, is there a distinctive way to tell the blended latex from the 100% natural?  I have a topper that it suppose to be 100% natural, but I am not totally convinced that it is not the blend.  It seems very similiar to the blend I tried and has about the same density (4.6 for 32 ILD).  The blend might have had a slightly more chemical smell, which is the only thing that makes me think what I currently have might be 100% natural.  However, with no labels on toppers it is hard to know for sure what you are getting. 

Do some places call the blend 100% natural, on the basis that petroleum is "natural".  That is very misleading if that is the case.

I might add that both Flobeds and Sleepez told me that the blended performs very similiar to the 100% natural.  Almost like the blend was a better value because it was cheaper and might last longer.  Flobeds did say the 100% natural was heavier and slightly thicker (the pieces they sell).

This message was modified Feb 6, 2010 by sandman
Reply #41 Feb 6, 2010 6:32 PM
a lot of sales people call any latex product all natural not even aware that there is such a thing as synthetic rubber despite how prevalent it is. 

it is sometimes difficult to tell unless you had two un covered samples side by side.  The hand is completely different, or atleast you can tell it is on the smoother surfaces that would have been in contact with the mould.  Natural rubber is a lot softer (to the skin), smoother and oilier feeling to the touch.  This is atleast true with natural Dunlop rubber, its rare to see natural talalay 6" pieces, so harder to find pieces with smooth edges for a fair comparison this way.  The other way to tell is sometimes the smell, natural rubber does have a more distinctive smell to it.

EDIT: And if they meant similar performance in terms of the bounciness and support then I do agree.  However in terms of all of the other purported benefits to sleeping on a latex mattress the natural rubber outperforms, ie: allergen resistance, elasticity (conformity to body shape), and overall durability is actually better with natural rubber, the cells are more elastic and therefore not nearly as brittle.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2010 by budgy
Reply #42 Feb 6, 2010 6:43 PM
To the latex experts, have you ever seen Overstock's latex in person? I really want to know if it is what they say it is. I did call them but they really don't know what they have!! I swear it is exactly like the Costco latex mattress BUT it's HOT. So was the Costco mattress. I agree that latex is hot and I tried only a sheet Kim!

Alice

Reply #43 Feb 6, 2010 6:48 PM
Both the overstock and costco latex beds use a polyester cover.  there is hardly anything to absorb the moisture away from your body, so yeah, any foam bed with that cover will be HOT, whether it be natural or synthetic blend latex shouldn't really make a difference this way.  you need something to absorb the humidity and regulate tempurature, polyester fibres are not good whatsoever at doing either of the two. 
Reply #44 Feb 9, 2010 8:11 PM
Well, guys? Your senses were spot on. You smelled a rat and there was one. Serta officially sux in my book. The Serta rep and the store sales rep both lied about the mattress contents. I raised holy hell and they promised to pick the mattress up and credit me for $1800. Will see how this plays out. The base layer is PU foam. I don't want anything with that cheap crap in it. When I square this away I will get one from SleepEZ, the 10,000 model to be exact. (Soft, Medium, Firm). The Serta sleeps pretty well but I don't anticipate it holding up as long as they claim it will.
Reply #45 Feb 9, 2010 9:02 PM
How did you figure out that it has a PU core?
Reply #46 Feb 9, 2010 11:30 PM
The contents were listed on that law tag thingy. They tried to back-peddle so hard. It was pathetic. They knew they lied and had to buckle. It wasn't a PU core. It has a PU base. I wanted all latex with no PU anything in it.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by london79
Reply #47 Feb 10, 2010 12:12 AM
london79 wrote:
Well, guys? Your senses were spot on. You smelled a rat and there was one. Serta officially sux in my book. The Serta rep and the store sales rep both lied about the mattress contents. I raised holy hell and they promised to pick the mattress up and credit me for $1800. Will see how this plays out. The base layer is PU foam. I don't want anything with that cheap crap in it. When I square this away I will get one from SleepEZ, the 10,000 model to be exact. (Soft, Medium, Firm). The Serta sleeps pretty well but I don't anticipate it holding up as long as they claim it will.

I was hoping we were wrong, actually. But it doesn't surprise me that we were right!
That is REALLY LOW!
And then they WONDER why people bash the Big S companies (Serta in this case). I mean, you asked them and they just flat out lied to you! Jeez, that's low even for them!  I knew when the web page on it didn't specifically talk about the latex and didn't specifically state it was 100% latex composition, that there was something rotten in Denmark.

Too bad you can't sue them for wasting your time. What a company! Jeez!
Reply #48 Feb 10, 2010 10:01 PM
Serta mattress was picked up this evening. Couldn't wait to order from SleepEZ. 10" latex shipped out today. I was pretty impressed with the Serta though. I didn't wake up with any aches and the covering was lofty. But that PU foam had me very skeptical. I will probably order the foundation for my 10" SleepEZ mattress to give it a little height. Will let everyone know how this one plays out. I got a good feeling about this one.
Reply #49 Feb 11, 2010 11:17 AM
PU FOam?

what is that please?
Reply #50 Feb 11, 2010 12:14 PM
randys wrote:
PU FOam?

what is that please?

randy you surprsie me! You are an experienced poster now and you should know what PU foam is!!!!
By the way is that costco latex bed firm or medium or soft? Asking as you never replied! Thanks randy.
Reply #51 Feb 12, 2010 3:41 PM
PU foam is polyurethane foam.
Reply #52 Feb 15, 2010 8:21 PM
I have the Bentley of beds right now. It's 7:18pm where I am and I want to go to bed already. Will let all know how it sleeps after tonight. I can already tell it will be awesome.
Reply #53 Feb 18, 2010 7:13 AM
I have also been duped by Mattress Firm. I bought the same bed as London79 and also asked if there was anything in the bed besides latex and was told no. Of course, the label tells another story. Dang it!! The bed sleeps really good, too. For $2400, I would expect 100% latex like I wanted in the first place. Should've gone with SleepEZ. Now I am torn with what to do with what I have. Risk it not lasting as long as I had hoped, or doing battle with Mattress Firm. Hummmn. Any thoughts?
Reply #54 Feb 18, 2010 9:00 AM
Do battle!!

You mean to tell me you didn't read the lable BEFORE you bought the bed?

Alice

Reply #55 Feb 18, 2010 9:29 AM
IMO you should raise a stink like the other guy did and get a refund.  The PU won't last, and you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't back out of this mistake now.   Then you can get what you originally *wanted* to get.  And make sure that the company you go to for your 100% latex bed has a generous return policy.  Latex is wonderful stuff, but it isn't for everybody.
Reply #56 Feb 18, 2010 1:39 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
Do battle!!

You mean to tell me you didn't read the lable BEFORE you bought the bed?

Alice

most people don't.  the nice attractive label doesn't list polyurethane.  just the law tag on the other end of the bed, but most people don't know these tags contain this kind of info.  its certainly a handy tool to know to use when you are being very specific about what you want (or don't want)
Reply #57 Feb 18, 2010 2:41 PM
My Sealy Truform mattress has a "cashmere" cover that was so highly raved about on their cover and paperwork.  Then read the label when you get it home, 4% cashmere!  The rest was rayon, and something else.  Seems like you should not be able to say latex or cashmere unless it is ALL cashmere or latex.  Or be truthful and say what else is in it.  Buyer beware.

Also latex people think it is always natural because it doesn't say.
Reply #58 Feb 18, 2010 3:39 PM
Textiles is a major one that most companies are not upfront with their labelling. We also see it more and more with bamboo based textiles, where the actual bamboo content is very low.  Although bamboo itself really is overrated, even 100% bamboo is usually a rayon fabric so the whole 'eco friendly' mythos attached to bamboo is completely false when being used as a textile.  Cashmere is another one I have seen commonly, less than 5% content, real 100% cashmere products are rare and expensive, a full set of 100% cashmere sheets made on a proper full width loom, will run probably in the range of $15,000 USD to start. 

There is also a lot of bastardization in the world of cotton products, 'Egyptian Cotton' sheets being sold for less than $200 for a set are usually less than 5% actual Egyptian cotton content and the remaining cotton threads will be spun from regular american staple cotton.  Thread counts being listed as high as 1000, when in reality there is no such thing, the highest thread count with cotton is somewhere around 400, and if you see something even that high it is more than likely a 2ply (twisted yarn) 200TC cotton percale.  Truly high quality woven textiles are very pricey.
Reply #59 Feb 18, 2010 5:58 PM
Bamboo.................we had bamboo floors in the gym, going green and all that, had to take them out because people were allergic to them!! Big red rashes all up and down their arms and legs. We really had to search to find some people are allergic to bamboo.

Go figure.

Alice

Reply #60 Feb 18, 2010 6:18 PM
Is it just me or does the cushiony mattress casing take away form the gelatinous, springy feel of the latex layers?? I just got my latex mattress layers a couple nights ago from SleepEZ and I've been trying to figure out what's going on with it. The latex feels bouncier, fluffier, and springy without the casing on it. Anyone else notice this?? I've been thinking of getting the covering instead of using the mattress casing they provided.  
This message was modified Feb 18, 2010 by london79
Reply #61 Feb 18, 2010 6:21 PM
horseluvr wrote:
I have also been duped by Mattress Firm. I bought the same bed as London79 and also asked if there was anything in the bed besides latex and was told no. Of course, the label tells another story. Dang it!! The bed sleeps really good, too. For $2400, I would expect 100% latex like I wanted in the first place. Should've gone with SleepEZ. Now I am torn with what to do with what I have. Risk it not lasting as long as I had hoped, or doing battle with Mattress Firm. Hummmn. Any thoughts?

The crooks at the Mattress Firm are used car salesmen. Very dishonest people. You have to boldly call them out on it and attack their sensibilities.  
Reply #62 Feb 20, 2010 7:56 PM
horseluvr wrote:
 Risk it not lasting as long as I had hoped, or doing battle with Mattress Firm. Hummmn. Any thoughts?

IMO the risk is not worth it; better to fight the good fight right now than be kicking yourself later, when it's too late to do anything about it, for not having done so.
This message was modified Feb 20, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer

Recent Posts