My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Jan 31, 2010 1:48 PM
Hi guys,

I signed-up for this site because I conducted some research of the various types of beds out there.  Based on my research uncovering huge problems with each option, I have no idea what to buy.

I need to buy a new bed soon..

When I researched spring mattresses I found the following problems:

- They usually sag after a while and the sag is most often not covered under warranty because the warranty states that some level of sag is acceptable to them, the manufacturer, whilst the buyer remains stuck with a sagging mattress.

- they allow for dust mites etc. to accumulate

- it is impossible to comparison shop due to shady collusion between manufacturers and retailers obfuscating the features/specs of the products

- from my own personal experience with other spring mattresses, I don't like how they have thousands of tiny balls form on them, kind of like pilling in clothing...I presume that all spring mattresses do that?  I really hate that.

When I researched memory foam mattresses, I found the following problems:

- they tend to crap out after a few years

- they get infested with mold if they get wet and then they are health hazards and nothing can be done about that

- some of them emit toxins due to the glue used in their manufacturing or something

Ok, so now that I know about these problems, I will feel like a sucker for buying any kind of bed. Yet, I still need a bed so I will have to buy something.

Is there any kind of bed that doesn't have these problems?

I hope you guys can help give me some clarity as to how I should wade through these problems and determine  what I should buy.  What kind of bed can I buy that will give me the peace of mind of knowing such defects won't mess with me in the future?

I live in Toronto, Canada and my price range is about $1500-2000 CAD but I might be willing to go higher (maybe up to $3500 CAD max)  if I can find a bed that doesn't have any of the aforementioned type of problems.  I do not have a lot of money, so it is very important for me to buy a bed that will last for around 10 years at least.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #42 Feb 6, 2010 6:43 PM
To the latex experts, have you ever seen Overstock's latex in person? I really want to know if it is what they say it is. I did call them but they really don't know what they have!! I swear it is exactly like the Costco latex mattress BUT it's HOT. So was the Costco mattress. I agree that latex is hot and I tried only a sheet Kim!

Alice

Re: My research has discovered major problems with all types of beds, yet I still need a bed. Please help.
Reply #43 Feb 6, 2010 6:48 PM
Both the overstock and costco latex beds use a polyester cover.  there is hardly anything to absorb the moisture away from your body, so yeah, any foam bed with that cover will be HOT, whether it be natural or synthetic blend latex shouldn't really make a difference this way.  you need something to absorb the humidity and regulate tempurature, polyester fibres are not good whatsoever at doing either of the two. 
Reply #44 Feb 9, 2010 8:11 PM
Well, guys? Your senses were spot on. You smelled a rat and there was one. Serta officially sux in my book. The Serta rep and the store sales rep both lied about the mattress contents. I raised holy hell and they promised to pick the mattress up and credit me for $1800. Will see how this plays out. The base layer is PU foam. I don't want anything with that cheap crap in it. When I square this away I will get one from SleepEZ, the 10,000 model to be exact. (Soft, Medium, Firm). The Serta sleeps pretty well but I don't anticipate it holding up as long as they claim it will.
Reply #45 Feb 9, 2010 9:02 PM
How did you figure out that it has a PU core?
Reply #46 Feb 9, 2010 11:30 PM
The contents were listed on that law tag thingy. They tried to back-peddle so hard. It was pathetic. They knew they lied and had to buckle. It wasn't a PU core. It has a PU base. I wanted all latex with no PU anything in it.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by london79
Reply #47 Feb 10, 2010 12:12 AM
london79 wrote:
Well, guys? Your senses were spot on. You smelled a rat and there was one. Serta officially sux in my book. The Serta rep and the store sales rep both lied about the mattress contents. I raised holy hell and they promised to pick the mattress up and credit me for $1800. Will see how this plays out. The base layer is PU foam. I don't want anything with that cheap crap in it. When I square this away I will get one from SleepEZ, the 10,000 model to be exact. (Soft, Medium, Firm). The Serta sleeps pretty well but I don't anticipate it holding up as long as they claim it will.

I was hoping we were wrong, actually. But it doesn't surprise me that we were right!
That is REALLY LOW!
And then they WONDER why people bash the Big S companies (Serta in this case). I mean, you asked them and they just flat out lied to you! Jeez, that's low even for them!  I knew when the web page on it didn't specifically talk about the latex and didn't specifically state it was 100% latex composition, that there was something rotten in Denmark.

Too bad you can't sue them for wasting your time. What a company! Jeez!
Reply #48 Feb 10, 2010 10:01 PM
Serta mattress was picked up this evening. Couldn't wait to order from SleepEZ. 10" latex shipped out today. I was pretty impressed with the Serta though. I didn't wake up with any aches and the covering was lofty. But that PU foam had me very skeptical. I will probably order the foundation for my 10" SleepEZ mattress to give it a little height. Will let everyone know how this one plays out. I got a good feeling about this one.
Reply #49 Feb 11, 2010 11:17 AM
PU FOam?

what is that please?
Reply #50 Feb 11, 2010 12:14 PM
randys wrote:
PU FOam?

what is that please?

randy you surprsie me! You are an experienced poster now and you should know what PU foam is!!!!
By the way is that costco latex bed firm or medium or soft? Asking as you never replied! Thanks randy.
Reply #51 Feb 12, 2010 3:41 PM
PU foam is polyurethane foam.

Recent Posts