The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #23 Nov 14, 2010 8:28 PM
rocco50 wrote:

cazual, thanks for sharing this. I called and spoke to them, and maybe will try to arrange to come sometime in the off-hours. 

Would you mind writing how much you paid for the mattress in total? 

When you were looking at the LatexBliss, how were you going to fit the 2 inch top?  Would it be under the cover of the mattress, or on the outside?

I purchased a Eastern King for $2499.99 which includes the foundation and two free latex King Pillows.  As far as the latex bliss topper it sits on top of the bed not inside the cover.  You would put your bed sheet over it.  

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by cazual
Reply #24 Nov 15, 2010 10:19 PM
Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

Reply #25 Nov 16, 2010 12:38 AM
cazual wrote:

Thanks Phoenix, we decided to go with 40 ild for the 6 inch bottom layer, 28 for the 3 inch middle and 19 for the top 2 inch layer.  I wanted a sold core and the 40 ild offers that, while the 28 middle gave my wife and I the support we are looking for without being too firm.  My wife is a side sleeper while I am what you call a wildcard sleeper (I sleep on my back, side or stomach).  As a result we came up with this combo.  We could have had the 2 inch top split with different ilds, but we both liked the feeling of the 19.  

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Reply #26 Nov 16, 2010 9:17 AM
retired2816 wrote:

Cazual,

Phoenix advised me you just purchased a latex mattress from Custom Sleep Design. I have spoke with Bob over the phone and he has put some specs together for my wife and me. Can you provide me with any information and feedback that would be helpful in dealing with this company. We live in the midwest and have been searching for a latex mattress and his split design sounds like a good option. Just wondering about your impressions. Any room for negotiating price?  

Thanks for your input.

sy

I felt very comfortable working with them.  Bob was able to answer most of my questions and explained to me all the options available for no extra cost.  I especially liked his answer when I asked him about the warranty as it pertains to body impressions.  They will swap out the top layer if there is any signs of a body impression no measurement limit.

As far as price, there may be some room for negotiation; we didn't as he threw in two king latex pillows and free delivery.  Also keep in mind his prices also includes the foundation which is not the case for other vendors. 

Reply #27 Nov 16, 2010 9:44 AM
rocco50 wrote:

Thanks for sharing cazual. Would you say your chosen configuration feels just as soft as lying on the loose topper on top of the LatexBliss?  For me, that was the ideal firmness, aside from the topper being loose and not in the same mattress cover.

How do you and your wife feel about the mattress now that you've slept on it for a few days?

Rocco50 we have not received the bed yet, we just ordered it this past Saturday and will take about three weeks before we get it.  The only draw back ordering a custom bed is it takes time and they have been very busy the last few weeks, no doubt this forum had something to do about that.  My wife and I have been shopping for months so extra time is not a big deal. 

As far as the feel, when I was in their showroom they had four standard bed setups.  Firm, medium, soft and a 100% organic medium.  The also had a two inch topper which was like the Latex Bliss version, however it had custom firmness.  The top area around your shoulders was softer and the area around your hip was firmer. 

We concentrated on the firm and medium beds.  The allowed us to remove the top layers and swap them to really dial in what we were looking for we even tried out the topper as well.  We probably were there for close to two hours.  In the end what we chose was similar to what we were going to pick with the Latex Bliss.    

I will be sure to post in a new thread, my first impressions and then follow that up with ongoing updates as soon as we get it. 

This message was modified Nov 16, 2010 by cazual
Reply #28 Nov 17, 2010 12:34 AM
Ok, so regarding the Dr. Breus, I looked at the "do not remove or go to jail" label, and it is confirmed - mostly poly:

hhhh

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by rocco50
Reply #29 Nov 17, 2010 12:37 AM
Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

Reply #30 Nov 17, 2010 12:41 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Is there a fine for looking at the label? :)

Nice catch. I'll mark it in my notes. Thank you

Phoenix

The salesman gave me free range :)

still trying to embed that photo, how do you do it? (I uploaded to flikr)

Reply #31 Nov 17, 2010 12:46 AM
I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #32 Nov 17, 2010 12:52 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I just figured that out today thanks to Sandman.

First click on the photo on Flickr and then click on "share this"

Then click on "grab the HTML/BB code"

Copy the code

Come back to the forum and click on the box to the left of the smiley that says "image"

Paste the code into the URL and write in any description you want in "alternative text" and you are done

Phoenix

There we go.. image preview did not show, that was throwing me off

Recent Posts