Questions about Dream Coil Topper
Apr 3, 2008 11:38 AM
 I am considering buying this topper but I was reading on Amazon that everyone received yellowed and stain looking toppers and not what they looked like in the picture.  They were also complaining about being too short.  Maybe Amazons' were seconds but I was wondering if yours looked like the picture (whch is white) or was yours yellowed.  Is it very firm or does it seem supportive.  My husband has had neck and back fusions and I am trying to find something to help him be some what comfortable.  I am also considering buying the cuddlebed mattress pad too.  I am worried though that it wouldn't fit in my oversize washing machine as a bought a fluffy mattress pad from kohls and did not have good results with it holding up.

Thanks for your help,

Emi

Re: Questions about Dream Coil Topper
Reply #10 Apr 4, 2008 1:26 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
I notice you said yours was PINK.. All three of mine are a cream color, similar to the photo on JC Penneys website. Theirs looks a bit whiter, but that could just be the lighting or my computer. I wonder why yours is pink. Maybe they've made it on both colors. I wonder if Carpenter can answer that.

Right -- it's pink. Weird, huh? It otherwise looks the same with the different squiggly/swirly panels.

I guess I could ask Carpenter about it (why pink?) and ask them at the same time why they are discontinuing the toppers. If indeed they ARE being discontinued. Could just be that Penney's are no longer carrying them. It might be worth it for Emi or anyone else thinking about this topper to contact Carpenter and see if there's anywhere else they can be purchased. They do still feature the Dream Coil on their web site (see link below), so maybe it is still available somewhere...

http://www.carpenter.com/divisions/consumer-products/foamPillows.php
Reply #11 Apr 4, 2008 12:00 PM
I just ordered the two twins Dream Coil Toppers yesterday and they are on their way.  After I get the cuddlebed pad I will let everyone know how its working out.

Thanks,

Emi

Reply #12 Apr 4, 2008 4:31 PM
Oh, good, you were able to get them all! I take it you ordered a Queen sized Ultimate CuddleBed Plus from Costco.com? I forgot, what type of mattress do you have? I mean, what will be underneath the Dream Coil and CuddleBed? That can make a difference, too. I have a somewhat cushion-firm zippered, LuraFlex coil mattress with a wee bit of xtra-firm HR PU foam and two inches of 32 ILD talalay latex with a quilted cover. Not too bad by itself, actually. But, the combination of the Dream Coil and CuddleBed just seem to add something special to it. And, yet I don't feel I'm laying on a pile of foam toppers like I was for a short while when I experimented with memory foam and latex on top. Not only did it "argue" with my lower back, but it took a ladder or a flying leap to get into bed every night. :) I hope you'll be able to find the right match like I did. :)

EmiJ wrote:
I just ordered the two twins Dream Coil Toppers yesterday and they are on their way.  After I get the cuddlebed pad I will let everyone know how its working out.</p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Emi
Reply #13 Apr 4, 2008 5:45 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Oh, good, you were able to get them all! I take it you ordered a Queen sized Ultimate CuddleBed Plus from Costco.com? I forgot, what type of mattress do you have? I mean, what will be underneath the Dream Coil and CuddleBed? That can make a difference, too. I have a somewhat cushion-firm zippered, LuraFlex coil mattress with a wee bit of xtra-firm HR PU foam and two inches of 32 ILD talalay latex with a quilted cover. Not too bad by itself, actually. But, the combination of the Dream Coil and CuddleBed just seem to add something special to it. And, yet I don't feel I'm laying on a pile of foam toppers like I was for a short while when I experimented with memory foam and latex on top. Not only did it "argue" with my lower back, but it took a ladder or a flying leap to get into bed every night. :) I hope you'll be able to find the right match like I did. :)

Yes I haven't prdered the CuddleBed yet but will next week and that will be a queen size.  We have a 7 inch firm latex mattress in a waterbed frame with a 3 in visco elastic memory foam topper.  I have a 2 inch foamex resilitex that is a medium firmness but I am getting rid of this.  We will have to experiment I am sure to get it totally right but this will be a start and with any luck this might work with what we have. With my husbands' back and neck fusion he doesn't want to even try a coil mattress because he is afraid it would be hard on his pressure points.

Emi

Reply #14 Apr 5, 2008 8:42 AM
I got my Dream Coil topper yesterday and I was so excited. I pulled the 2.5" convoluted HR foam one off the bed that I had been using (bought at a local fabric/foam outlet and don't know ILD except they call it "mattress grade" foam). The old foam is in great shape and very comfortable but just a little too hard to roll over on--had to get a little momentum and it would awaken me. So...

After sleeping on the Dream Coil I woke up a bit achy and so did my husband although that can randomly happen with us anyway. We both felt we tossed and turned more to get comfortable although the bed felt heavenly when we first went to sleep.

If I put my old convoluted HR topper back on with the Dream Coil on top it will be too high and probably be even more bouyant. Should I try a 1-2 inch piece of latex under the dream coil? We tried the dream coil so we could have better support in our lower back since my husband uses a CPAP machine and needs to stay on his back for the oxygen and mask to work most successfully.

Just to refresh everone's memory--I have a sealy springfree bed that has a 6" Dunlop core, 34 ILD, then 3 layers of I" talalay with ILD's of 37, 28, and 19 in that order. It has some PU foam on top as well. I really need some help here. This mattress felt so comfortable when I first got it but after sinking into it during the night it felt hard the next morning, thus my topper experimentation. You all are the pros and I do need advice before trying another topper even if its talalay latex.

Thanks in advance--Sabra

Reply #15 Apr 5, 2008 12:13 PM
Sabra,

I am so stressed from my deadlines that I have to try to complete today despite coughing all night (think I need to wash my oversized Queen Comforter but I have no time to go to the laundry mat until after April 15th... unless this is not allergies and I am having a relapse from being sick for so long due to being run down from my car accident and my father's death last year) but I am taking a short break to see what is up on this forum to see if it will temporarily get my mind off of what I am still missing for finishing all there returns to have less extensions.

Sabra, It is unfortunate that you can not unzip the Sealy cover to rearrange the latex cores to give you the comfort you each need on each side of the bed. But since you can't, I am still thnking with a little more effort and a lot of patience, you can find a way to make your bed doable for you and your husband. I am thinking that if you have not tried the 1" Talalay Latex topper from Brylane, then you should since the return policy is excellent and it is soft and made very well and only 1" thick.  Then you can see how the bed is only with this topper under a fitted sheet and then try it under the Dream Coil Topper.  If you end up loving the topper, then you should find a cover for it, even if it is just a thin cotton duvet cover on sale. I have my topper under the zippered cover of my FloBed.  I like the topper very much for cushion for my shoulders but I had to make my bed firmer underneath me (which I could do do to the zippered cover by moving the latex cores around) to make the topper work for me since I like very firm beds despite my petite size.  I do not like sinking in and that is why my latex cores are all more than 35 ILD on my side of the bed with a 44 ILD in the equation but a soft 1 inch topper over the three thicker latex cores.  After my car accident my back is not the same so I feel bad for anyone with back problems that can really affect a good night's sleep as muscle spasms and nerve pinching changes each night.  I am sorry about your husband.

Reply #16 Apr 5, 2008 5:34 PM
Hmmmm....we need someone with "topper expertise".

I've never felt achy from the Dream Coil topper...at least not the way I would if I had just slept the night on a WAY too hard or soft mattress. Been there, done that. However, this chronic sacroiliacitis is just something that seems to be there no matter where I sleep. And, some nights are worse than others. I don't blame that on my mattress or toppers, though. It's just nice to find something that feels good overall, regardless of the little aches and pains that seem to be coming on as I get older (and more out of shape:)

For me, I think the CuddleBed might just be enough cushioning to make the Dream Coil more comfortable. I've never tried it alone. And, I really do think their lifetime warranty saying the Dream Coil will never go flat is TRUE. I've found that it feels softer or firmer for me at times. Like you, it just about always feels perfect when I get into bed. Even though I've never awakened with hip pain or pressure points, I do notice it feeling firmer sometimes. But, not so much that I feel like it's TOO hard. If I had my druthers, I prefer a bit too firm than sink-in-soft. My lower back just hates that. I think one of the times it feels the coziest is in the early morning and I'm still sleepy. You know that feeling when your bed is just so comfy you don't want to get out. It's then that I really savor the cradling and supportive texture of the Dream Coil and CuddleBed.

As for you, you might try a 1" layer of medium or soft latex under the Dream Coil. Better yet, on top, maybe. I know that Omalon is often used a a supportive layer with something softer over that. I've seen that with memory foam and Omalon attached to the bottom. Maybe that's why my CuddleBed works so well with it.

I know others here will have some good advice for you! I just hope that you can make it work for you!

from Sabra:

I got my Dream Coil topper yesterday and I was so excited. I pulled the 2.5" convoluted HR foam one off the bed that I had been using (bought at a local fabric/foam outlet and don't know ILD except they call it "mattress grade" foam). The old foam is in great shape and very comfortable but just a little too hard to roll over on--had to get a little momentum and it would awaken me. So...

After sleeping on the Dream Coil I woke up a bit achy and so did my husband although that can randomly happen with us anyway. We both felt we tossed and turned more to get comfortable although the bed felt heavenly when we first went to sleep.

If I put my old convoluted HR topper back on with the Dream Coil on top it will be too high and probably be even more bouyant. Should I try a 1-2 inch piece of latex under the dream coil? We tried the dream coil so we could have better support in our lower back since my husband uses a CPAP machine and needs to stay on his back for the oxygen and mask to work most successfully.

Just to refresh everone's memory--I have a sealy springfree bed that has a 6" Dunlop core, 34 ILD, then 3 layers of I" talalay with ILD's of 37, 28, and 19 in that order. It has some PU foam on top as well. I really need some help here. This mattress felt so comfortable when I first got it but after sinking into it during the night it felt hard the next morning, thus my topper experimentation. You all are the pros and I do need advice before trying another topper even if its talalay latex.

Thanks in advance--Sabra
This message was modified Today by
This message was modified Apr 5, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #17 Apr 7, 2008 10:17 PM
OK, to add to this thread - or take from it! ;)

We've got a Sealy latex bed with the top layer broken down enough that we've got achey backs (after only 3 years) and we have two houses we're paying on right now (thanks housing crisis! LOL!) so we can't afford the new layered latex bed we'd like. So we're looking to see if we can find a topper of some kind to add some support until we can afford to buy a new bed.

We've got a king sized bed, FWIW. So - are any of these that are being discussed something that might offer some extra support and help with the aches until we can afford a new Flobed or something?

Thanks!

Jeff
Reply #18 Apr 7, 2008 11:30 PM
Jeff, Thanks for sharing so others will beware of beds that you can not unzip to fix parts that are no longer working. If I was you as a temporary means until you sell the second home, I would try to open the beds seams to take out the parts that have sunk in and are not supporting you and replace them with firmer latex until you have the funds for a new bed. I looked up toppers for you but I still think nothing will work as well until you provide better support under the topper.  Please do a search and there is a few threads on taking apart a mattress. Maybe the poster will reply to this thread.  Please keep us updated. Hoping you sell the second home fast.

The other option is what I did when my bed fell apart and teh bed I ordered from Rockaway bed I was allergic to (Polyurethane outgases) and had to be taken away. I slept on the floor over a 1" topper over a 1/2" exercise mat and it was very comfortable and supportive for me. I just hated to be on the floor but for me it was a good temporary measure until I had time to do research and order my FloBed that I love.

Reply #19 Apr 8, 2008 10:34 AM
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your Sealy King latex bed--that is what I have too. Please tell me which model you have and the date purchased; mine is Mangrove Bay/Rivercrest, May of 2005. Even though it has  a very soft top layer, we sank down through the night to the hard core and became more uncomfortable as the night wore on. It has slight body indentions on each side where my husband and I sleep.

Two things have helped:I recently did a quarter turn and shifted around the top sheet, blanket and comforter. Guess what? No noticeable indentions! I've read that sometimes doing the quarter turn versus the half turn will even everything out over time. We shall see if it actually works since this is the first time I've done it.

Also, I added a new topper. I tried the Dream Coil topper and although it is a wonderful product, we needed something a bit thicker so I'm returning it. We have a foam outlet close by and I purchased a king size HR 2" no-name mattress grade eggcrate for $53 (don't know ILD but I've used my old queen size for 12 years and it hasn't worn out yet) to go on top and it helped soften everything. I have a thick mattress pad on top of it and the mattress. Are there any foam stores or outlets near you? Mine is in Asheville, NC and they don't mail anything.

I may still purchase a 1" latex layer to go on top of the eggcrate for a little extra softness. I tried memory foam toppers in different densities and heights and returned them all. I hope you can find something that will work for you. Hopefully there's an answer other than buying a new mattress.

Get this...my sister's neighbor sold her a 25 year old mattress in pristine condition for $50 when he moved. I slept on it 2 nights ago and it was absolutely wonderful...firm enought for my back, soft enough for no pressure points. Why can't mattresses be made like that now?

Recent Posts