Novaform Comfortluxe Review/thoughts and a question
Dec 6, 2007 7:58 PM
I got the Cal king Novaform comfortluxe mattress from Costco

FYI I am 6'5 215lbs and the mattress is setup on the floor.  Initially the mattress was very very hard.  I found I had to wait 72 hours for it to really decompress. Then, to soften it I walk/hoped(!) all over it many times probably a total of 20 minutes and this helped it soften up.

While I find the bed initially very comfortable I have a problem with it.  When I warm up the comfort layer,I think I sink through that layer and my hips sit on the support layer which is not comfortable and is in fact hard.  this is exactly what happened to me with my cheaperpediic I built!

It has only been 1 week so I will give it a couple more days. Otherwise, is memory foam simply not something us larger humans can use? Is Latex from Sleepez what I need to do? 
This message was modified Dec 6, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Novaform Comfortluxe Review/thoughts and a question
Reply #15 Dec 9, 2007 1:39 PM

That's the design of the bed in the above photo.  Another web site with reviews has a post from the manufacturer with some ILD values. I am construing from them this is the likely construction of the Comfortluxe as the other bed with specific numbers used mostly the same foam layers.  Therefore, Comfortluxe is likely:

1.5" Coolwave 4lb foam of 12-14ILD
1.5" and 2" layers are likely 12-15ILD
7"  is 2lb foam with ILD 40

Would this construction explain why someone my size loves the bed at first, but has those pressure spots later on?  I am a side sleeper..

This message was modified Dec 9, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #16 Dec 11, 2007 5:29 PM
Thoughts? Is it the foam or me that is causing this difficulty?
Reply #17 Dec 11, 2007 7:25 PM
novahelp wrote:
Thoughts? Is it the foam or me that is causing this difficulty?

From my experence, and switching from memory foam to latex, it is the foam.

After all, you are stuck with your body, your bed should fit your needs.

Reply #18 Dec 11, 2007 9:33 PM
I spoke to Jeremy from SleepEZ. He said the problem is that the comfort layer ILD is WAAAY too soft. he said it was typical of most manufacturers to put a comfort layer that is super soft so in the showroom people thing it is great.

he said their soft layer is 24 ILD. They had a super soft layer, but they discontinued it since everyone was returning it.

He recommended a Soft-Med-Xfirm combo for me in their 3 layer unit.
Reply #19 Dec 13, 2007 7:15 PM
Well, called again. Shawn said he would suggest I get the Medium - Firm - X-Firm.  Guess jeremy was wrong? :)
Reply #20 Dec 13, 2007 7:41 PM
Does the IFD of memory foam decrease with increasing temperature?  If so, at what temperature do they measure IFD?

Nova, what are you using for a foundation?

Reply #21 Dec 13, 2007 11:14 PM
Shawn of sleepez said the problem for me isn't  the ILD of the foam, its that because of my weight i likely generate (and I do) a lot more heat than most people. combine this with my weight, I will sink through memory foam and end up on the support layer.

I have the ComfortLuxe on the floor right now.
Reply #22 Dec 14, 2007 5:23 PM
I would be somewhat concerned that 9 inches of latex would not be enough for you to get isolate you from feeling the floor.  Of course, the firmer the less you will interact with the floor.

You might consider some high quality PU foam as a base if you go with SleepEZ.

Reply #23 Dec 14, 2007 6:09 PM
Well, shawn said he has friends who are 200+ on the 10000 (9") without a problem. 

From what I read, Shawn knows his stuff.

My only concern, Shawn said one thing and Jeremy gave me other advice. However, to be honest, Jeremy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about ... Shawn did.
Reply #24 Dec 14, 2007 7:51 PM
Foam Nerd
If the bottom 6" is of an appropriate ILD to provide adequate support, 9" will be enough.

Recent Posts