Novaform Comfortluxe Review/thoughts and a question
Dec 6, 2007 7:58 PM
I got the Cal king Novaform comfortluxe mattress from Costco

FYI I am 6'5 215lbs and the mattress is setup on the floor.  Initially the mattress was very very hard.  I found I had to wait 72 hours for it to really decompress. Then, to soften it I walk/hoped(!) all over it many times probably a total of 20 minutes and this helped it soften up.

While I find the bed initially very comfortable I have a problem with it.  When I warm up the comfort layer,I think I sink through that layer and my hips sit on the support layer which is not comfortable and is in fact hard.  this is exactly what happened to me with my cheaperpediic I built!

It has only been 1 week so I will give it a couple more days. Otherwise, is memory foam simply not something us larger humans can use? Is Latex from Sleepez what I need to do? 
This message was modified Dec 6, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Novaform Comfortluxe Review/thoughts and a question
Reply #5 Dec 7, 2007 11:33 PM
ericgl wrote:
I have had the same experience with memory foam.  Latex has been much better.

Costco has a wonderful return policy.

That's why i decided to try this bed from Costco, because I knew they would take it back for a COMPLETE refund.

So what did you end up doing for a latex bed?
Reply #7 Dec 8, 2007 7:47 AM
I purchased my latex layers from FoamByMail and I use their Lux PU foam as the core.  I got a cheap velour cover from ebay which works fine for me.

FBM has only 2 ILDs of latex; soft and medium.  I bought 3" of each.  As I mentioned in another thread, I think I may have prefered 4" of mediun and 2" of soft.  And I might throw in 2" of FBM 36ILD HQ foam for good measure.

Reply #8 Dec 8, 2007 8:33 AM
I noticed you guys used lots of different types of foams. Wow. Why didn't you just build a complete latex bed?
Reply #9 Dec 8, 2007 12:25 PM
Several people have tried for a perfect all-latex mattress, but only a few have achieved it. If you look at old threads here, you'll see that many people have trouble getting the support needed with latex. It's just too rubbery.
Reply #10 Dec 8, 2007 12:26 PM
Foam Nerd
novahelp wrote:
I noticed you guys used lots of different types of foams. Wow. Why didn't you just build a complete latex bed?

Cost. The price for a latex core starts around $900.
Reply #11 Dec 8, 2007 2:11 PM
donw wrote:
Several people have tried for a perfect all-latex mattress, but only a few have achieved it. If you look at old threads here, you'll see that many people have trouble getting the support needed with latex. It's just too rubbery.

Then how does SleepEZ do it with their beds?
Reply #12 Dec 9, 2007 12:28 PM
Foam Nerd
novahelp, I am 6'6" and 240. My core is 5.6" of ILD 40 (not the most firm available) Latex International Talatech (blend), and I am well satisfied with the support I get from it. In fact, my problem has been softening things up enough on top.

I haven't personally tried using a urethane core, but I believe it should be a less expensive way of achieving a very similar feel to all latex.
Reply #13 Dec 9, 2007 12:33 PM
Thanks for the input. So the latex really is a better foam, and likely to be an easier way to just get a comfortable bed.

It's really driving me nuts all this :) . The worst is that this bed is actually VERY comfortable ... INITIALLY!
It's just that after a couple of hours my shoulder and hip become pressure points sitting on the support layer since the memory foam has been heated up and I sink through it.

Is this just the result of cheap memory foam?  Or do the tempurpedics and all memory foam beds do this as well and just us larger people have this sinking through problem?
Reply #14 Dec 9, 2007 12:59 PM
Foam Nerd
Memory foam can definitely feel like perfectly contoured concrete, but this strikes me as just poor design. There must be a different material under the memory foam which provides something in between a cast and a concrete slab of support. And yes, it probably IS cheap memory foam. Quality memory foam is expensive.

Recent Posts