Low back pain; too firm or too soft?
Feb 5, 2011 2:36 PM
So I've recently made some changes to my sleepez 10000 bed (see below) and developed lower back pain. My back feels very stiff and sore in the morning, and its very hard to stretch forward (ie to touch my toes); stretching backward feels nice. I sleep mostly on my side and back, I would think the pain is from the back sleeping. Is there any way to tell just from the description if the problem is too firm or too soft support?

If not, here is more about the changes I made. I was sleeping on a pretty soft bed, waking up generally stiff and sore, but not usually with real "aches" like this. I had something like this (top to bottom);

• 1 or more thin toppers (wool pad, convoluted foam, memory foam, fiber bed, microfiber allergy cover) - constantly mixing these to try and achieve better results
  • 3" soft talalay
  • 3" medium talalay
  • 3" medium dunlop

After extensive work with Phoenix (see this monster thread if interested - http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/overstuffing-mattress-case-foam-layers/16508-0-1.html) - we essentially decided that all those toppers were doing more harm than good, and that I needed both a softer top comfort layer and a firmer bottom support layer. So I bought a 3" firm dunlop and a 1" soft talalay from sleepez. I now sleep on:

• standard poly-filled mattress pad + microfiber allergy cover
  • 1" soft talalay
  • 3" soft talalay
  • 3" medium dunlop
  • 3" firm dunlop

So, looking at the changes, I would guess either I made the top too soft (unlikely since I used a variety of toppers before) or the bottom "support" too firm. But that seems to contradict the testing I did with Phoenix. I suppose its possible that I am simply sleeping on my back more or something; I do think I sleep on my back more that the bed feels a bit firmer. I would sure appreciate any help...

Steve

Recent Posts