Latex mattress is too hard
Oct 21, 2011 2:38 PM
New member here ... and I'm in a conundrum.

Perhaps 10 years ago I bought an Englander latex foam mattress.   It's a latex slab with thin egg-crate glued to each side, and a cover.   At some point I decided I didn't like the support - felt like it was giving me a backache - so I removed the egg crate on one side, and let that be the bottom side permanently.    Was pretty happy with that for some years, but had pondered maybe removing the egg crate from the top too.

Recently, girlfriend was diagnosed with dust-mite allergy, so I decided to go ahead and trash the cover and remove the top layer of eggcrate.   So I now just have a slab of latex, about 6" thick, with a mattress cover on top.   And it's too hard - I am a side sleeper, and it's pretty uncomfortable on my hips.   I like a firm mattress, but it's just too much.   The weird thing is, when you press on the latex with your hand, it feels kind of mushy.

So I wonder what to do.   I'm thinking maybe add back some sort of topper, of higher quality than the eggcrate, perhaps 2" of latex or memory foam bought from one of the mail-order places.   But I seek advice.   Please let me know if there's add'l info I should provide, and thanks.

This message was modified Oct 23, 2011 by RustyShackleford
Re: Latex mattress is too hard
Reply #1 Oct 21, 2011 4:27 PM
How did you remove the layer if it was glued?

I too experience the latex seems soft when I push on it too, and it feels hard on the hip.  Maybe Budgy can explain that one.

Reply #2 Oct 21, 2011 6:16 PM
Leo3 wrote:

How did you remove the layer if it was glued?

I too experience the latex seems soft when I push on it too, and it feels hard on the hip.  Maybe Budgy can explain that one.

It wasn't glued very well.   Most of it just pulled away with only minimal resistance.   In a few places it took a litttle more persuasion and tore away maybe 1/4" of the latex.   Fortunately these places were near the corners.   It definitely takes a little patience, and I can imagine it might be a real problem if there were more glue.

Reply #3 Oct 22, 2011 3:08 PM
I'm no mattress expert, but when I tried putting memory foam on top of the latex, it actually made my bed feel harder! I think the foam distributed my weight too much, so the latex didn't give at all. Maybe some people had a different experience, but why not just put some softer latex on top? I've read a few places on this forum that you want as little as possible between you and the latex. Do you know what ILD your mattress is?
Reply #4 Oct 23, 2011 2:16 PM
lefty2026 wrote:

I'm no mattress expert, but when I tried putting memory foam on top of the latex, it actually made my bed feel harder! I think the foam distributed my weight too much, so the latex didn't give at all. Maybe some people had a different experience, but why not just put some softer latex on top? I've read a few places on this forum that you want as little as possible between you and the latex. Do you know what ILD your mattress is?

Don't know the ILD; I guess I should research how to measure it.

Yeah, I don't like some of the stuff I' reading about memory-foam (too warm in hot weather, hard to move around).   Maybe I should look at a topper of something else, like a lower-ILD latex like you suggest.    I'm still confused by the fact that my existing latex (from my dis-assembled mattress) feels so mushy to the touch, but too hard when sleeping on it.

Reply #5 Oct 23, 2011 2:37 PM
Another factor is that I am prone to back pain from a mattress that isn't supportive enough.   It felt like my latex with the 1" or so of crappy PU eggcrate was causing back pain.   Which is one of the main reasons I removed it.   And now it's too hard.    Kinda the worst of both worlds.   I definitely find there ARE mattresses with firm enough support to prevent back pain and yet very comfortable for side sleeping - like in a beach house we rent a lot (I think it's just a high-quality innerspring mattress).

I'm rambling, but that's how confused I am - please help !!

P.S. I should add that I'm 5'10" and 170lb, and am a side sleeper.

P.P.S.  It seems like it'd be REALLY helpful if I could determine the ILD iof my current latex.   Can someone point me to a thread that tells how to do a DIY measurement ?   Is it as simple as cutting a 50 square-icnh piece of plywood and weighting it until it deflects a certain amount ?   It was from an Englander "Latex Plus" mattress bought in 1998.

This message was modified Oct 23, 2011 by RustyShackleford
Reply #6 Oct 23, 2011 4:05 PM
Yeah, pushing foam with your hand doesn't tell you much.  I think that you'd want somewhere between one to two inches of a p/u foam to soften the latex.  Layering foams seems to be the best way to reach optimum feel for sleeping. 

Kait

Reply #7 Oct 23, 2011 6:16 PM
Kait wrote:

Yeah, pushing foam with your hand doesn't tell you much.  I think that you'd want somewhere between one to two inches of a p/u foam to soften the latex.  Layering foams seems to be the best way to reach optimum feel for sleeping. 

Kait

Thanks for weighing in, Kait.   If I don't mind spending a little more, do you think 1-2" of a low-ILD latex would be better than the p/u ?   If so, thoughts about Talalay vs Dupont or whatever ?

Reply #8 Oct 24, 2011 11:17 AM

My personal opinion would be to go with latex over p/u, because you were not happy with the p/u to begin with and the allergy resistance is important to you.  I would go to some stores though and try to find latex mattresses that you like, then you can see what ILD they are made from and try to match it with what you have and what you would want to buy, plus you can make sure that there is a latex bed out there you do like. 

You can read about talaway vs dunlop online.  Supposedly they have different feels, but talaway is more consistent.  Most people say dunlop is firmer than Talaway.  Talaway does come in softer ILDs than dunlop.

Reply #9 Oct 24, 2011 1:58 PM
lefty2026 wrote:

My personal opinion would be to go with latex over p/u, because you were not happy with the p/u to begin with and the allergy resistance is important to you.  I would go to some stores though and try to find latex mattresses that you like, then you can see what ILD they are made from and try to match it with what you have and what you would want to buy, plus you can make sure that there is a latex bed out there you do like. 

You can read about talaway vs dunlop online.  Supposedly they have different feels, but talaway is more consistent.  Most people say dunlop is firmer than Talaway.  Talaway does come in softer ILDs than dunlop.

I like the sound of the latex over p/u, but it seems a little silly to spend almost $600 (queen at FBM) when I already have a nice 6" slab of latex.

Last night, I laid my summer down comforter (maybe 1-2" of loft uncompressed) plus a fleece blanket over the latex, and I found it pretty comfortable.   I'm guessing that's probably equivalent to no more than 1" of a topper of some kind.   So maybe I just try 1" of a soft latex topper and I'll be happy.  Of course, if I'm right that I wasn't getting enough support when I still had the 1" eggcrate on my latex, I doubt if the same rig but with 1" latex would be much better in that regard.

If that's true, then I guess it's just saying that my 6" latex slab is simply too soft to serve as a base layer for me, and I DO need to start over as you suggest.

Reply #10 Oct 25, 2011 1:56 PM
I'm thinking the thing to do is to get a latex topper, probaby from FBM.   Leaning towards 2" ILD 20 (I'm a 170lb side sleeper) but welcome suggestions to the contrary.  If it doesn't do the job, then perhaps it can be the basis of a new creation using a firmer base.

Recent Posts