Latex mattress is too hard
Oct 21, 2011 2:38 PM
New member here ... and I'm in a conundrum.

Perhaps 10 years ago I bought an Englander latex foam mattress.   It's a latex slab with thin egg-crate glued to each side, and a cover.   At some point I decided I didn't like the support - felt like it was giving me a backache - so I removed the egg crate on one side, and let that be the bottom side permanently.    Was pretty happy with that for some years, but had pondered maybe removing the egg crate from the top too.

Recently, girlfriend was diagnosed with dust-mite allergy, so I decided to go ahead and trash the cover and remove the top layer of eggcrate.   So I now just have a slab of latex, about 6" thick, with a mattress cover on top.   And it's too hard - I am a side sleeper, and it's pretty uncomfortable on my hips.   I like a firm mattress, but it's just too much.   The weird thing is, when you press on the latex with your hand, it feels kind of mushy.

So I wonder what to do.   I'm thinking maybe add back some sort of topper, of higher quality than the eggcrate, perhaps 2" of latex or memory foam bought from one of the mail-order places.   But I seek advice.   Please let me know if there's add'l info I should provide, and thanks.

This message was modified Oct 23, 2011 by RustyShackleford

Recent Posts