Latex Bed for a big guy -- and a question for Haysdb
Nov 17, 2007 11:33 AM
I am a big & athletic guy -- I am 215lbs 6'5" of muscle not fat (i am not bragging, just trying to give my body type :) )

A couple years ago I tried building a cheaperpedic bed as described in the fatwallet forums. I got the 3" FBM topper (not the 5.5lb density), and the JCPenny 5" Extra-firm base.  I had trouble with it as I just sank through the thing completely!  I left the 3" on my old crappy mattrress and I really liked what the FBM topper did for me.  Pressure point reduction.

I really like the feel of memory foam and I tried the Tempur  Deluxe in a store this week, real nice!  But the heat build up from memory foam drives me nuts, and I was getting hot in the store after just 10 minutes of laying on it.  Also, the fact that you can end up sinking into pits will likely annoy me when i feel trapped in the mattress.  I understand latex can be similar feeling but without these negatives. I tested the Sealy Spring Free and one of the models was actually great.   However, a lot of the sealy spring free models were annoying in that they were far too "bouncy" feeling.

1) Will a latex foam bed from a quality retailer like Sleep EZ get me a mattress that has the positives of memory foam without the negatives?

2) Will the latex not be the "bouncy" type that I didn't like in the stores?

3) Is bouncy feeling where Talalay versus Dunlop is the difference?  I haved used an old (20 yro) latex mattress and I hated because for some reason even though it was foam it "moved" (i.e. no contouring) like a typical very firm mattress that didn't conform.

4) Hayesdb., you're a bigger guy right?  Did you build a latex mattress?  How has that worked for you and what did you end up doing?

Thanks!
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp

Recent Posts