Latex Bed for a big guy -- and a question for Haysdb
Nov 17, 2007 11:33 AM
I am a big & athletic guy -- I am 215lbs 6'5" of muscle not fat (i am not bragging, just trying to give my body type :) )

A couple years ago I tried building a cheaperpedic bed as described in the fatwallet forums. I got the 3" FBM topper (not the 5.5lb density), and the JCPenny 5" Extra-firm base.  I had trouble with it as I just sank through the thing completely!  I left the 3" on my old crappy mattrress and I really liked what the FBM topper did for me.  Pressure point reduction.

I really like the feel of memory foam and I tried the Tempur  Deluxe in a store this week, real nice!  But the heat build up from memory foam drives me nuts, and I was getting hot in the store after just 10 minutes of laying on it.  Also, the fact that you can end up sinking into pits will likely annoy me when i feel trapped in the mattress.  I understand latex can be similar feeling but without these negatives. I tested the Sealy Spring Free and one of the models was actually great.   However, a lot of the sealy spring free models were annoying in that they were far too "bouncy" feeling.

1) Will a latex foam bed from a quality retailer like Sleep EZ get me a mattress that has the positives of memory foam without the negatives?

2) Will the latex not be the "bouncy" type that I didn't like in the stores?

3) Is bouncy feeling where Talalay versus Dunlop is the difference?  I haved used an old (20 yro) latex mattress and I hated because for some reason even though it was foam it "moved" (i.e. no contouring) like a typical very firm mattress that didn't conform.

4) Hayesdb., you're a bigger guy right?  Did you build a latex mattress?  How has that worked for you and what did you end up doing?

Thanks!
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Latex Bed for a big guy -- and a question for Haysdb
Reply #1 Nov 17, 2007 2:42 PM
Not haysdb, but I think I can help. The mattress you built up is not well suited for a heavy guy. First, it is too thin all around (8"). Next, the FBM white foam is probably 3lbs density and way soft (FBM claims 4lbs, but they lie!). Finally, the JCPenney base is firm, but not dense at all. I have to believe that a low density base would not support a heavy guy as well as a high density base in the same firmness. (JCPenney doesn't give the firmness, any way.) As for latex, talalay latex will always feel springy - kind of like a water balloon. Some people like the feeling and others can't stand it. It sounds like you like a firm mattress but need a comfort layer that relieves pressure points. Here is a whack at at a design for you.

2" Isoform memo foam (5lb dense, 17-19ILD - said to be more firm than most memo and more breathable)

1" FBM 32ILD talalay latex (I can't imagine 1" feeling too springy. This may also help as a heat sink for the memo foam.)

3" FBM 36ILD HQ foam (2.5 lb dense base foam)

4" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam)  For a little softer feel, make the 36ILD 4" and the LUX 3".

This is a $700 (approx.) mattress. But it should last 10+ years. If the memo foam top dies after a few years, replace it - it's only $150.

Reply #2 Nov 17, 2007 5:21 PM
Foam Nerd
novahelp wrote:
4) Haysdb., you're a bigger guy right?  Did you build a latex mattress?  How has that worked for you and what did you end up doing?

I am a big guy. 6'6" 240. Let me touch on a few other points and then I will get to what I ended up with.

I agree with donw's recommendation. That will at least be close I think, and any tuning necessary could be done in the 1" layer, taking advantage of FMB's 30-day return policy.

I also agree with his analysis of what happened with your cheaperpedic - the foams were not firm to begin with, and low density to boot. Higher density will usually result in a higher "support factor." My layman's understanding is this means the foam feels more firm as it's compressed. You sink in, but don't just keep sinking. A high support factor allow use of a softer foam while achieving the same "support" as a more firm foam with a lower support factor. Google "Support Factor PFA" and you will get some excellent pdf documents published by the Polyurethane Foam Association.

Latex is a very high resilience foam. A ball dropped on latex will rebound to ~60% of it's height. However, I would not characterize latex as "bouncy." I equate latex with a car with new shock absorbers. The initial rebound is there, but it's then damped quickly, unlike an innerspring mattress. This resilient but damped quality is what personally drew me to latex in the first place.

I'm still fine-tuning but what I have as of today is a 5.6" ILD 40 latex core, 1" each of ILD 32 and 20 latex, and an Intelli-Gel overlay (3.25" thick) from MyComfort. The jury is still out on the Intelli-Gel. I very much like certain of it's characteristics, but it's a little more firm than I would like for side sleeping. I ordered 2" of ILD 16-18 latex yesterday that I hope is the solution to that. I won't use all of that 13" of latex and Intelli-Gel, but what I pull out will depend.
Reply #3 Nov 17, 2007 6:15 PM
Wow, thanks for the great responses.

Regarding the cheaperpedic, that would make sense. It was funny how how after I compressed the two layers the foam got very hard since it was so compressed from my weight.  I even tried adding  (2) 1" cheap memory foam layers, and they helped a little bit but not enough...  Also, what is weird is my foam is PINK colored but has slowly changed to an orange color from FBM.  Makes no sense as this was supposed to be the 4.5 lb density unit?

Regarding that interesting list of components for a mattress.

1) Why do you think a 3" comfort layer is adequate?

2) Isn't FBM not fully trusted in these forums anymore?

3) Why do you suggest two  base layers of HQ foam?

I like the price for a California King that you made as it is about half of SleepEz.  Just concerned about building one because I could be out a lot more if the bottoming out occurs again or if I find it really uncomfortable.

Thoughts?
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #4 Nov 17, 2007 6:53 PM
One other thing.

My friend built a cheaperpedic using a 4" FBM and the extra-firm JCPenny, put it in a terry cloth case, and on top of his box spring.
The thing is much better than what I built and actually works!!  Makes no sense to me.
Reply #5 Nov 17, 2007 8:39 PM
Foam Nerd
novahelp wrote:
Regarding that interesting list of components for a mattress.

1) Why do you think a 3" comfort layer is adequate?

2) Isn't FBM not fully trusted in these forums anymore?

3) Why do you suggest two  base layers of HQ foam?

I like the price for a California King that you made as it is about half of SleepEz.  Just concerned about building one because I could be out a lot more if the bottoming out occurs again or if I find it really uncomfortable.

3" is pretty typical for a memory foam mattress. Sometimes it's 3.5".

I don't trust FBM. Their products are still good buys, but you cannot trust anything they tell you. There for awhile they were telling callers their latex was from Latex International, which it was not. Then they stopped saying that but kept implying it by saying they bought their latex from a U.S. company. Their latex comes from a U.S. distributor, but the latex is not made in the U.S. I can't swear it's even Talalay as they claim. They call their memory foam a 5.5 lb foam, which appears to be highly "optimistic." Their prices are great, but watch your step.

Two different densities of support foam may not be necessary. The idea stems from FleBeds recommendation to choose different firmnesses for the two base layers, which allows you adjust the firmness. Beyond that, having a very supportive base layer just seems like a sound idea.
Reply #6 Nov 17, 2007 11:51 PM
novahelp wrote:
One other thing.

My friend built a cheaperpedic using a 4" FBM and the extra-firm JCPenny, put it in a terry cloth case, and on top of his box spring.
The thing is much better than what I built and actually works!!  Makes no sense to me.

So the only difference in his and your mattress is 1 extra inch of memo foam (I assume you mean the pink stuff)? And did you place your mattress on a box spring? A traditional box spring can be a large part of a bed system. My old one was quite flexible, giving extra comfort. A lot of the newer ones are not springs at all and are very stiff. With 4" of the pink stuff, I think I'd be swallowed up!
Reply #7 Nov 19, 2007 12:27 AM
donw wrote:
So the only difference in his and your mattress is 1 extra inch of memo foam (I assume you mean the pink stuff)? And did you place your mattress on a box spring? A traditional box spring can be a large part of a bed system. My old one was quite flexible, giving extra comfort. A lot of the newer ones are not springs at all and are very stiff. With 4" of the pink stuff, I think I'd be swallowed up!

I did try placing it on my boxspring. It still wasn't the same.

Weird eh?

I am going back and forth on buying a SleepEZ or the Novaform from costco.  After reading more posts you made about FBM faking their orders I am not comfortable dealing with building with them again.    Maybe if the Novaform goes on sale this week I think I will try it since it is free shipping both directions so it's a free trial
This message was modified Nov 19, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #8 Nov 20, 2007 6:03 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger and got the Novaform from Costco -- not even on sale.
I just like the fact that it is a worry free trial basically. 

Will post back here when I get it..

Recent Posts